frustrating usage of sammy watkins

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

granted, he dropped two very catchable balls. But after watching the way the Giants target ODB, the panthers with Benjamin and the Bucs with Evans, it frustrates the heck out of me that Watkins continues to be targeted anything less than 10x per game

With all that said, way to go Robert Woods

They rolled coverage his way all game long. They remembered Sammy torching them in the 1st game and were not going to allow it a 2nd time.

They rolled coverage his way all game long. They remembered Sammy torching them in the 1st game and were not going to allow it a 2nd time.

Which seemed to be picked up by the Bills, hence all the throws to Woods. No use forcing it in to someone when you have a capable guy in single coverage.

granted, he dropped two very catchable balls. But after watching the way the Giants target ODB, the panthers with Benjamin and the Bucs with Evans, it frustrates the heck out of me that Watkins continues to be targeted anything less than 10x per game

Use a 4th overall, a potential top 15 and a 4th rounder and gameplan around 3 TE sets, Chris Hogan and Robert Woods no greater than drafted in the second round.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Use a 4th overall, a potential top 15 and a 4th rounder and gameplan around 3 TE sets, Chris Hogan and Robert Woods no greater than drafted in the second round.

It's one of the worst teams in the NFL, but we won 38-3. Who really cares about how many catches Watkins had (except my fantasy team :( )?

How often was Beckham targeted in the second half last night once Dallas started doubling him?

I hear what ur saying but Rex simply wasnt going to let Sammy beat them again. In saying that there is no reason why they can't run some screens with him like he ran in college.

I imagine it is really hard for fans like you when we perform so well and win so easily. Sorting through all those positives for something to complain about must be exhausting.

It was clear to me early on that Sammy still has the groin pull. Fred is Fred, but Sammy's groin looks more like Dom's at this point.

Sammy is quickly turning into a bust. Could not stay healthy early, invisible lately. Prima donna when he waltzed into the end zone and fumbled. He is not half as hungry as the other first year WRs and has trouble getting any separation. Seldom uses his speed effectively. Drops way too many passes for someone with the hands that they said he had. Did EJ ruin him early or was he just over hyped. Not a lot to be excited about here and clearly not worth the extra first round pick we gave up for him.

He is however an incredibly nice guy.

Sammy is quickly turning into a bust. Could not stay healthy early, invisible lately. Prima donna when he waltzed into the end zone and fumbled. He is not half as hungry as the other first year WRs and has trouble getting any separation. Seldom uses his speed effectively. Drops way too many passes for someone with the hands that they said he had. Did EJ ruin him early or was he just over hyped. Not a lot to be excited about here and clearly not worth the extra first round pick we gave up for him.

Not that I disagree with all of your points, but save it for another day. Watkins drawing coverage was a big part of the win. What a fun game, huh?

Go Bills!

Wow, could not disagree more. Are you really Tampa Bob and shifting your focus from Fred to Sammy? He has trouble getting separation and can't use his speed effectively because he has a groin injury. Dude is playing hurt. You'll probably only see slants and quick outs for a while from him, perhaps the occasional dig route. If you can't see the difference in Sammy now from Sammy earlier in the year, I can't help you. And when did Sammy waltz into the end zone and fumble? Are you confusing him with Bryce Brown?

Sammy doesn't produce he's injured. The games he does produce no injury talk.

Sammy is quickly turning into a bust. Could not stay healthy early, invisible lately. Prima donna when he waltzed into the end zone and fumbled. He is not half as hungry as the other first year WRs and has trouble getting any separation. Seldom uses his speed

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the smiles.

Sammy was wide open on the 3rd down attempt that we ended up setting up our fourth and fail.

Wide open streaking over the middle, and orton didnt even look.

yep.. and he'd still be running. it's good to point out little mistakes like that in a win, because they're also the little mistakes that have cost us games.

i thought this was the lee evans excuse? Isnt a "good" wr suppossed to just overcome this? When are people going to see that sammy is a softy and doesnt like anyone in his way when hes catching the ball? If hes not running free and clear he doesnt come up with it. Not only that but he goes down like a bag of rocks at the first sight of contact. Tonight was another obvious example, two drops on catchable balls, layed himself down w out being tackled on a slant, then stepped out of bounds on one of his few catches instead of turning upfield.

i thought this was the lee evans excuse? Isnt a "good" wr suppossed to just overcome this? When are people going to see that sammy is a softy and doesnt like anyone in his way when hes catching the ball? If hes not running free and clear he doesnt come up with it. Not only that but he goes down like a bag of rocks at the first sight of contact. Tonight was another obvious example, two drops on catchable balls, layed himself down w out being tackled on a slant, then stepped out of bounds on one of his few catches instead of turning upfield.

Hey guys, we just beat a division rival by 30+ points, and our offense didn't look anemic, let's go complain about something!

This is exactly why teams need two good wide receivers to have one draw the coverage's so the other can get open. Three is even better, and four is almost unstoppable.

It was very frustrating to see Sammy only get 5 targets all game, along with 3 catches. The offense needs to find a way to somehow get him the ball more often.

Double covered all game...that's why Orton threw to Woods

QBs throw to open receivers. Jets took Sammy out so Woods was single covered all game.Smart playing and won because of it.

there were multiple times sammy was wide open with room to run and the qb didn't throw to the open receiver

Who did he throw to on those occasions...a great win under different conditions against a terrible division rival and many still find things to complain about.

Sammy is still not quite right. Wait a few games until he heals more.

Woods certainly took up the slack.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

The drops killed him today along with a couple plays where he was wide open with nothing but open field between him and the endzone. I think Orton will stop going to a receiver once they drop one or two passes.

Orton had been quoted as saying as much in practice. No link.

But I get the feeling you are right.

Also if Opposing defenses are going to focus on him all the better to find the open guy

Double covered all game...that's why Orton threw to Woods

QBs throw to open receivers. Jets took Sammy out so Woods was single covered all game.Smart playing and won because of it.

Yes exactly. They said that this was part of the game plan. The Bills assumed that the Jets would focus on stopping Sammy. Therefore the number one receiving target for the game was going to be Woods when he was one on one, which was all game.

They had a good game plan and they executed it well enough to come away with a big win. This was way better than the last Jets game.

And Sammy had his opportunities even when he was double covered. Orton still gave him a handful of throws. Sammy didn't make the most of his opportunities in this game. It's okay as long as the other receivers make the most of their opportunities. Good game plan. Good win.

Yes exactly. They said that this was part of the game plan. The Bills assumed that the Jets would focus on stopping Sammy. Therefore the number one receiving target for the game was going to be Woods when he was one on one, which was all game.

They had a good game plan and they executed it well enough to come away with a big win. This was way better than the last Jets game.

And Sammy had his opportunities even when he was double covered. Orton still gave him a handful of throws. Sammy didn't make the most of his opportunities in this game. It's okay as long as the other receivers make the most of their opportunities. Good game plan. Good win.

Clear, concise, logical thought. What are you doing here?

If you listen to the post game Robert Woods said that they doubled Sammy the entire game so he became the primary target. While I wish that they could find the way to get the ball in his hands more it's nice to have a weapon that commands that kind of attention. It clearly opened things up for Woods and he took advantage of it.

Probably not 100% yet .

I agree with you that he doesn't have the explosion that he had in the beginning of the season.. The rib injury first slowed him down and then the groin injury has recently plagued him. The groin hinderance is apparent. He hasn't been the same dynamic player that he first exhibited.

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the smiles.

BBC has a point. The other guy... someone peed in his cornflakes. Its not Sammys fault that he is hurt. But we acknowledged that. Its not an excuse and if you are on the field you have to play. I dont expect 100% and its clear Watkins was not the game plan. However we need to find more creative ways to get him the ball when he is somewhat healthy

BBC has a point. The other guy... someone peed in his cornflakes. Its not Sammys fault that he is hurt. But we acknowledged that. Its not an excuse and if you are on the field you have to play. I dont expect 100% and its clear Watkins was not the game plan. However we need to find more creative ways to get him the ball when he is somewhat healthy

i have a feeling he was very much part of the game plan considering how much Rex was devoted to stopping him. This happens with the best WRs by the way. He will be back. Edited by YoloinOhio

Besides him murderering me in fantasy, the fact that Woods had a big game is in large part because of Sammy.

But I thought Sammy was a guy that you can force the ball too even in double coverage. Luckily we didn't need it because the Jets are awful but we will down the line.

We didnt NEED Sammy to be a star last night... We stepped on the gas, and dominated from start to finish. If anything.... Woods playing that well is a huge breakout performance! His first 100 yard game with 9 catches... Hogan is best suited for a #3 slot receiver type and has excelled in that role. Outside of Sammy, no WR has stepped up to become a "legit" #2 and a threat to a D. Let's not forget Woods was our early 2nd round pick just last year. All good O's have more than 1 threat to a D.. Woods made some really nice grabs last night. The 1 handed catch down sideline, a couple of back shoulder throws that came in low and he was able to make the adjustment (which is a play i can remember him and Orton being VERY off the last few weeks.

Woods was drafted to be a solid #2 WR. He has shown some glimpes but hasnt been very consistent which is partly due to lack of real looks in passing game. Hopefully, he can continue contributing and give D's someone else to fear other than Sammy on the outside. This could be his big breakout game.

Also, Sammy hasnt been FULLY healthy all year. It was nice to see him get through a game without really getting hit and hopefully will be healthier than he has all yr for our game of the yr vs the Browns which is BEYOND a must win...

This game HAD to be circled on calendar... With Pettine there now, losing a bunch of very winnable games to them in past yrs and not to mention the biggest X factor in the game. A win pushes that #1 draft most likely a few spots down!

Oh... and lets not forget possibly sneaking into the playoff picture!

I wondered "what happened to Sammy" myself, but then I thought about it some he was hampered with a nagging injury and he gets double teamed.

Then they double Sammy Woods gets left open. I'm good with that.

You take what they give you. The Bills didn't score 38 points accidentally. Who cares who's getting the pretty individual stats? The object of the game is to score the most points. They did that. Personally, that makes me happy.

You take what they give you. The Bills didn't score 38 points accidentally. Who cares who's getting the pretty individual stats? The object of the game is to score the most points. They did that. Personally, that makes me happy.

+1

Orton was spreading the ball around pretty well with Woods getting the higher load.