Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I value the opinion of people who I respect whether we agree or not. I have never respected the fandom of anybody that has ever switched allegiances. Your opinion is dead to me at that point. There are plenty of people on here that I respect and disagree with often. Their voice and opinion warrant debate. At the same time I don't care to have people on my side in any walk of life that turn their back when things get tough. As a Vet you should understand that better than anyone. It just speaks to character or lack thereof IMO (which I am entitled to).

I must say that the comparison of changing your favorite NFL team to a veteran "turn(ing) your back when things get tough" takes the cake. If that isn't the height of arrogance and sophistry then I'm not sure what is. Same can be said for those who invoke the name Judas in a serious manner to draw the same type parallel. This isn't war. This isn't religion. It's a freaking football team.

Now we've got people preaching what "loyalty" is based on which team you follow in a sport played by people most of us don't even know. And it's worth noting that several good posters no longer come to this board because this is the type of in-fighting we see when people can't just agree to disagree. I guess this is the "new" civility.

And I could give a damn that someone ignores me. I don't really care.

Edited by BillsVet

I must say that the comparison of changing your favorite NFL team to a veteran "turn(ing) your back when things get tough" takes the cake. If that isn't the height of arrogance and sophistry then I'm not sure what is. Same can be said for those who invoke the name Judas in a serious manner to draw the same type parallel. This isn't war. This isn't religion. It's a freaking football team.

Now we've got people preaching what "loyalty" is based on which team you follow in a sport played by people most of us don't even know. And it's worth noting that several good posters no longer come to this board because this is the type of in-fighting we see when people can't just agree to disagree. I guess this is the "new" civility.

I know. The stadium wall has gone full derp in the last year or so. Brutal analogies, assumptions and attacks because they think they know him as a person because he changed teams. Ludicrous! Only on the internet folks.

Being a Bills fan is more than just the players on the team. It's about family. Tradition. Community. Local pride. And celebrating football, win/lose/draw, with 80,000 of your best friends.

If you read what was written it was a general statement about how people respond to adversity. If you choose to go in a different direction when things get tough, go for it. At the same time I am glad not to associate with people like that. When the OP "decided" to become a Steelers fan (I don't remember ever deciding on a team) his opinion on the Bills became irrelevant.

That's all, his energy would be better served on the Steelers message board where I am sure his opinion will be valued. They are dying to hear more from people whose fandom goes all of the way back to the middle of Mike Wallace's career.

There are certain people on here (you know who you are) that just take a contrarian view on everything. You are just as bad as the eternal optimists despite arrogantly believing that you know best. The reality is that like with any team there are pros and cons. If we want to have productive discussion on this board we should discuss the issues on their own merit. What does EJ being bad have to do with the Bills ability to rush the passer? The reason that this place has declined is people's inability to objectively view the team. There are lots of people (ie the OP) that this board would be much better off without.

I love the fact that my team has never won a super bowl. All the time and emotion that i have invested over the years will make for an amazing run when the Bills do win the super bowl.

I could "change" my team and hop on some bandwagon at any point and guarantee myself a championship. That just seems really cheap to me compared with the emotional investment into one team through good and bad.

I have never lived in Buffalo (born in Fl) but my dad and his side of the family are from western NY and I have been a Bills fan since I was a kid.

I'm 26 and after plenty of chances to start rooting for the jags, bucs or dolphins I realized I would be a Bills fan for life. Winning is not the only important thing, personally I enjoy watching the games with my pops and him talking about the glory years keeps me looking forward to when we will be good again. Enjoying the positives and not letting the negative stuff bring you down is a good strategy not only for life but for following the Bills as well. And if we suck by week 10 guess who will still be watching and rooting for our team? The 95% of this board who are real fans, myself proudly included!

Same, except I am 22 and live in Texas. Here's to the next generation of Bills Fans!!! :D

I don't understand why people feel the need to bash the man for giving his perspective on our team. He came here and was honest ab him switching teams, gave the reasons why he did and wanted to offer his outlook on the bills.

I found it a refreshing change of pace from the normal stuff that's always on the main page.

Thanks for posting it

I don't understand why people feel the need to bash the man for giving his perspective on our team. He came here and was honest ab him switching teams, gave the reasons why he did and wanted to offer his outlook on the bills.

I found it a refreshing change of pace from the normal stuff that's always on the main page.

Thanks for posting it

Anyone who's ever paid any attention to my posts knows I'm bashing the people responding to him.

Thanks for posting it

could have left it at I am a steelers fan. He is no fan when you abandon your team

Could have told us how his team will suck

Edited by mead107

I would hardly be shocked if Buffalo never won the Super Bowl but there is no way I will ever miss even one tailgate until the day I die. This is not a football thing, this is a FAMILY thing going on here in Buffalo.

Exactly. I'm from Erie, PA, but my parents, who lived in Buff forever, raised me a Bills fans. Turning my back on the team isn't something I'm emotionally or physically capable of doing. Knowing their fanbase like I do, you are certainly joining the ranks of legions upon legions of bandwagoners that all pay homage to the Steelers. Screw the Steelers.

Let's go BUFF - A - LO till the end.

Whoa guys. Granted, I didn't expect an outpouring of love. But, don't you think you're taking this way down to another level?

Most of us live in the USA where we all have a right to engage in lawful activity, have freedom of thought, make our own choices, and yes, freedom of speech. But, don't you think one crosses a line when free speech turns into pure hatred. So, what's with all the hatred and vindictiveness? Did I steal your wallet, did I kick your dog, vandalize your property, slap your kid, push or call your mother a bad name, or spill a beer on you? Did I ever once call you or the team losers, scumbags and some of the other adjectives used to describe me? Why? Because I left the church of the Buffalo Bills for another church, told you why, and wished you well? How dare I? Maybe I was wrong being a Bills fan all along if being one meant I'd have to stoop to the level you have. Is that what being a Bills fan is all about? If so, I made a good choice leaving the church. I didn't think being a Bills fan was like being in the KKK or gang. I actually thought there was civility. My bad.

Being a fan of the Bills at one time didn't define me, entitle me to spew hatred and rage to anyone who was not a Bills fan, or whether one decided to step away from that or not. Nor did I ever feel being a Bills fan justified my existence. Perhaps that works for you. For me... just a pastime. It's a game, it's entertainment. It's not as important as being a good husband, a good father, doing the best on the job, being a good neighbor, citizen, and volunteer in my community.

I can understand passion, but when you choose to morph passion into the vindictiveness, hatred, and the total lack of respect for a person's right to make and share a choice, which does not affect you one iota, it's time to take a good look at who you are and what you're about. Is that how you live your life everyday or does being a Bills fan rob you of decency?

I'm not going to bash you, ex-fan. Because you're not an ex-fan.

I believe that you've convinced yourself you're rooting for the Steelers. I even believe you watch them instead of the Bills on Sunday afternoons. I get that. Must be kinda nice.

I don't believe for a second that you don't feel more (good or bad) when you check the Bills score. I don't believe that you'd feel good if the Steelers beat the Bills head to head. I don't believe that you'd refrain from cheering on the Bills if they found themselves in playoff contention.

Why? We can't rationalize our emotions or simply decide that they don't exist, and sports fanship is usually emotional.

Hope to see you back here soon, Bills fan.

Whoa guys. Granted, I didn't expect an outpouring of love. But, don't you think you're taking this way down to another level?

Most of us live in the USA where we all have a right to engage in lawful activity, have freedom of thought, make our own choices, and yes, freedom of speech. But, don't you think one crosses a line when free speech turns into pure hatred. So, what's with all the hatred and vindictiveness? Did I steal your wallet, did I kick your dog, vandalize your property, slap your kid, push or call your mother a bad name, or spill a beer on you? Did I ever once call you or the team losers, scumbags and some of the other adjectives used to describe me? Why? Because I left the church of the Buffalo Bills for another church, told you why, and wished you well? How dare I? Maybe I was wrong being a Bills fan all along if being one meant I'd have to stoop to the level you have. Is that what being a Bills fan is all about? If so, I made a good choice leaving the church. I didn't think being a Bills fan was like being in the KKK or gang. I actually thought there was civility. My bad.

Being a fan of the Bills at one time didn't define me, entitle me to spew hatred and rage to anyone who was not a Bills fan, or whether one decided to step away from that or not. Nor did I ever feel being a Bills fan justified my existence. Perhaps that works for you. For me... just a pastime. It's a game, it's entertainment. It's not as important as being a good husband, a good father, doing the best on the job, being a good neighbor, citizen, and volunteer in my community.

I can understand passion, but when you choose to morph passion into the vindictiveness, hatred, and the total lack of respect for a person's right to make and share a choice, which does not affect you one iota, it's time to take a good look at who you are and what you're about. Is that how you live your life everyday or does being a Bills fan rob you of decency?

You never were a Bills fan to begin with. You also stated that if you have problems in a marriage, you just end it. And then you come back one a year to troll us?!?! C'mon dude.

You have the right to do and say whatever you want. There are also consequences. That's what people forget about free speech. Say whatever you want; people are also allowed to then let you know what they !@#$ing think about it. You came here. We don't give a !@#$ about you. You came to us and then get mad when we tell you to go away? You're a scumbag. Go to your own forum. You obviously are not wanted here. Take the hostility as a hint.

You're condescending. You're feigning innocence. You're spewing bull ****. You're acting like we brought you here. If you are trolling me you win. I'm heated. Screw you.

Edited by buffaloriles

Don't ask me to go to another church. Piss and moan about your own team. Don' t come around and tell us you could not stand it , so you left then come back and try and tell us what is wrong with the team. Take a fen hike.

When you come and talk steelers and how they may do this year is one thing , but you have balls to come back and bash The part of running away is what pisses me off. Don' t tell me you that you used to love the Bills because you are full of ****.

Now this can be locked by you and you can go back to your yellow and black team.

Sorry but you piss me off.

After being a fan as a kid, going way back to the mid 60's, and even attending one of the Bills four Super Bowls, I'd become disgusted with the ambivalence of the Bills ownership and what I'd been seeing for several years, especially from 2010 forward. It just was not my Bills anymore. So, I'd had enough, looked at it as a good marriage gone bad and finally run it's course. I divorced and flipped from being a Bills fan to being a Steelers fan.

Metadiscussion: why is it all these guys with names like "Dr Trooth" or "Voice of Reason" never live up to them?

You're dead to me.

Speaking only for myself, I can honestly say that I don't hate you. I don't think you're a scumbag. That said, I also know you never were a fan of this team and you are not currently a fan of the Steelers. You can't be. You've shown you don't have what it takes to stick with a team through the good and the bad. You are a fan of winning. If the Steelers go into the tank for an extended period of time, you will abandon them for a team that is winning. That's fine if it works for you, I don't respect it, but that's just me. Just do us one favor and don't say you are a fan because that's a lie and actually insulting to real fans. Be well.

You talk a lot....but your not sayin much

Speaking only for myself, I can honestly say that I don't hate you. I don't think you're a scumbag. That said, I also know you never were a fan of this team and you are not currently a fan of the Steelers. You can't be. You've shown you don't have what it takes to stick with a team through the good and the bad. You are a fan of winning. If the Steelers go into the tank for an extended period of time, you will abandon them for a team that is winning. That's fine if it works for you, I don't respect it, but that's just me. Just do us one favor and don't say you are a fan because that's a lie and actually insulting to real fans. Be well.

Nailed it.

This guy actually reminds me of Randy Quaid in Major League II. Who turned on the team, or atleast pretended too, yet still used his season tickets to show up every game and boo them. Then of course changed his mind at the end when they won.

randy-quaid-major-league.jpg

Nailed it.

This guy actually reminds me of Randy Quaid in Major League II. Who turned on the team, or atleast pretended too, yet still used his season tickets to show up every game and boo them. Then of course changed his mind at the end when they won.

randy-quaid-major-league.jpg

:lol:

The Bills are a good QB and good OC from being a contender. I'm expecting to see Orton starting at some point this season. While it took to the 5th preseason game to get the O-line settled, it happened way too late as it's going to take some time for the O-line to gel. Seeing the O-line unable to open holes in the run game and seeing Glass Joe get hit against the Lions backups was not a good sign. If Marrone was smart, he'd can Hackett ASAP. I feel the defense has improved, same with Special Teams, but the offense has regressed significantly which will be the reason why the Bills will fail (again) this year. I'm going with the 14 year average of 6-10 (again), give or take a game or two.

Sorry, no blind optimism from me (until Pegula is the new Bills owner).

and have been that way since the Jim Kelly days. There are still strong questions as to if they have finally found either.

To the last bolded part. Thank you, I agree!

It has been a struggle to remain a Bills fan knowing that ownership was more intent on the team making a profit then winning a super bowl. Quite frankly I don't care if some of you believe it or not. I know it to be true. Now that new ownership is about to take control ....the people that helped maintain that profit margin over winning are now scrambling to try, and build a winning team.

Hopefully new ownership will want to win as much as Bills fans do, and oblige them.

ok, that was a long thread to read. Dr. trooth, just go away.

Nuff said. I'm sure there are Steelers threads you can go post. Now since they have gine 8-8 and couldn't run on us at all in the pre-season game, if that is any sign of the future, and now are out of the playoffs again this year and the next due to the Bengals emerging, are you going to leave them too?

anyway, god bless, good luck and please stay away from our website as your not wanted. I don't go to Patriots, Jets, or Fish websites.

I guess what people are telling you, Trooth, is that now that you don't root for the same billion-dollar brand of uniforms that they do, you're no longer their friend and might as well be dead to them.

Strange world we live in.

Personally I could care less who you root for (or who you sleep with or pray to). The whole concept of a "real fan" is a joke. You people realize that we're talking about a game, right? Who cares who's a better fan than whom. It's a HOBBY.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I don't understand. You don't get to choose these types of things. Being a Bills fan is the equivalent of having a 50-pound iron ball chained to your leg by your dad when you're 2 years old. And all he says to you is, Sorry, I've been carrying this around my whole life, now you've got one too, best of luck with it. And there is no key. Choose? There is no choose.

This is funny, as you have more or less perfectly stated my position on it as well. One does not choose which team one roots for. You are born into the fan base of one team, and then you remain there forever.

I can change which NFL team I cheer for about as much I can change my height or eye color!

LOL.

Having said all that, the original poster made some valid points/observations in my opinion. Whether or not anyone wants to read/consider them is another matter. I can see why a lot on here would be opposed to anything he has to say.

I can only speak for myself but I am glad that you are gone. You never understood what it meant to be a Bills fan. You may have cheered for the Bills but you were never a Bills fan. It isn't a pastime to most of is. It is about community, civic pride and the asset that unifies WNY more than any other. You are better off joining the Steelers bandwagon even though they don't want you anymore than we do. Your fandom is meaningless to them, us or anyone else because you are a lousy fan.

Just go away and "volunteer in your community" which I'm sure is where you are really spending your free time. If you are such a good citizen you wouldn't waste time trolling us. I hope that you, Wally and the Beave all enjoy the upcoming Steelers season.

Edited by Kirby Jackson