Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, most of you need to stop behaving like jealous wives !!

I don't think people are mad about what you wrote (for the most part), I think based on what you said, there are a lot of people who are calling you out for what you perceive as loyalty. My impresson of your post was to seek validation for why you stopped being a Bills fan, and it didn't work out the way you had hoped. To me, you came across as the guy who cheats on his wife, gets divorced, and then starts running to everyone saying she wasn't giving me what I wanted so I found someone who does, in a hope to gain sympathy for your actions. That's just my two cents, I can say I don't care if you're a fan of the Jaguars or the Steelers, or whomever, I don't think your definition of loyalty matches mine.

Well Dr. Trooth this might get me a warning point and this thread deleted but this is how I feel. You sir are a scum bag as a fan. Please do all of us a favor and never post on this board again. I have been a fan of this team for over 45 years and have seen my share of some really bad times but I have seen some good times to. This is a good young up and coming team with just a few players away from being a contender. So when the band wagon comes around stay away from it and for the future of our team the Bills are not going anywhere. I have to say I have never been so disgusted with a thread since joining this board. you in my opinion have got to be the biggest disgrace of any football fan their ever was. I for one will always bleed the red, white and blue of the Buffalo Bills which I am very proud to be a fan of. GO! Bills!

Edited by nobody14

Because banning things is how we solve issues and debate in modern society. How about actually debating someone rather than taking the easy route of suppressing their argument through force? Or is that too difficult?

I value the opinion of people who I respect whether we agree or not. I have never respected the fandom of anybody that has ever switched allegiances. Your opinion is dead to me at that point. There are plenty of people on here that I respect and disagree with often. Their voice and opinion warrant debate. At the same time I don't care to have people on my side in any walk of life that turn their back when things get tough. As a Vet you should understand that better than anyone. It just speaks to character or lack thereof IMO (which I am entitled to).

I value the opinion of people who I respect whether we agree or not. I have never respected the fandom of anybody that has ever switched allegiances. Your opinion is dead to me at that point. There are plenty of people on here that I respect and disagree with often. Their voice and opinion warrant debate. At the same time I don't care to have people on my side in any walk of life that turn their back when things get tough. As a Vet you should understand that better than anyone. It just speaks to character or lack thereof IMO (which I am entitled to).

There is always the personal ban, the big shiny ignore ! :)

I don't post much here, but man is it good to see you guys fired up about this.

I haven't lived in Buffalo for 30 years -- but change teams? CHANGE TEAMS?? I might as well decide to fly. Or maybe I will decide to breathe nitrogen instead of oxygen.

Look OP, we just don't have a choice. We root for the Bills because ... they are our Alamo. The only way out is feet-first.

How does an adult go about choosing a team to become of fan of? Do you call the team's front office and ask them to interview for you? Provide brochures?

I'm a Bills' fan because I was born in Buffalo and went to several games at War Memorial, including the '63 playoff game against the Pats, when my hatred of the then Boston Patriots was born. I was a fan of Jim Brown and the Cleveland Browns growing up as they were my team in the NFL. I became a Yankee fan (Mickey Mantle fan) and a Celtics' fan (Russell Havlichek fan) as a kid. I became a fan of my university teams when I went to college. I have never changed my allegiances despite some very difficult times for all of those teams. I may be negative about the current state of the Bills, but I can't imagine just picking some other team to root for. As an adult, how the hell do you magically obtain any sort of emotional investment in a team with whom you have no history? I live in Arizona, but never for a second thought about becoming a Cardinal fan (I actually liked them better when they were in St. Louis), and I have hated the D'Backs from day 1. I liked the Suns, but never thought about actually jumping ship and in '76 I rooted for the Celtics to win. Oh well, everyone's mileage may vary I guess.

How does an adult go about choosing a team to become of fan of?

Speaking for myself, i became a Bills fan once I moved to Rochester after college. We moved every 3 years or so when I was a kid and my Dad was a minor football fan, not real hardcore. So I didn't have a team growing up or even watch much football. I got to know the Bills and started following them.

Ex bills fan??? How do you do this? I've been trying for at least 5 years. I stupidly spend hundreds of dollars a season to stream pixelated marginal definition football games to my large tv so I can utter with extreme annoyance "what are you doing??" to Leodis McKelvin for swatting air or CJ running laterally for -2. To think I do this incessantly for 3 hours a week for 16 weeks. Its compulsive masochism!

Then you become a steelers fan? I've always said it's gotta be so easy to be a steelers fan. They are a perennial contender and hoisted Vince 5x.... Talk about a plush cozy bandwagon there!

Man if I didn't have a soul that's what I'd do.

I have finally reached the level of being disinterested in this team. Each year over the last 5 I have become less and less emotionally tied to this godforsaken football team, but I'll still be there every Sunday. On game day I will get just as mad, but it won't bleed over into the rest of my week like it used to, until this team even pretends to compete. I've witnessed few glimpses of awesome in my 3 decades of passionately following this team and I'm as beat down as the next Bills fan because I see no plan for the future, which is why being a Cubs fan is currently 10000x easier. But, I've always been a Bills fan and always will be a Bills fan because it's in your blood.

Cheering for the Bills is not something you change on whim because you're sick of it. This isn't a marriage either so your jealous wife post makes not one ounce of sense. The Buffalo Bills aren't something you marry and can divorce because you're bored, this is bigger than marriage this is about being part of an identity. I don't live in Buffalo, and I never have, my dad grew up on the west side, attended Saint Joe's and passed the burden of Buffalo and it's football team onto me, and now I live in Chicago and cannot stand everyone here trashing a city I love and a team that has been part of my life since the day I was born. Being a Bills fan is about something more than cheering on some red white and blue laundry 16 Sundays a year. It's about being part of a region and a city that have been the butt of countless jokes by dickheads all across the country and, despite my disinterest, I still fiercely defend my team and anyone that has an uneducated opinion about the city.

People like the good Doctor are the worst people on the planet. Front runners. Nobody respects losers like that. Nobody is jealous of your new shiny 8-8 football team with a rapist quarterback and (*^*&%^$^#running backs and aging defense. Everyone here is stunned that you could turn your back on the idea that is Buffalo Bills football and then have the balls to come back and give us an "outsiders" opinion. Save it. We hear it every goddamned day and nobody cares what you think because you're a meaningless person with no conviction and no guts. So, please, sir, take your new family and kindly go !@#$ yourself, you will not be welcomed back when this team actually turns it all around and delivers on that promise of bringing joy and hope to a city that has taken more than it's fair what of lumps over the years.

Goddammit now I'm fired up for football season.

Let's go BUFF-A-LO!

Speaking for myself, i became a Bills fan once I moved to Rochester after college. We moved every 3 years or so when I was a kid and my Dad was a minor football fan, not real hardcore. So I didn't have a team growing up or even watch much football. I got to know the Bills and started following them.

Your situation is obviously different than mine, since you didn't have a team growing up. That seems to be entirely different than being a fan of a team for a long time and then deciding to find another team to root for.