Turmoil brewing between Marrone and Whaley?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, he is. But they handed him 3.1M guaranteed in December and signed him for 4 years total. Not a big contract, but for them to sign a guy to decent money and then said player is cut after such a poor off-season. You would expect better from a NFL pro personnel department.

and yet it happens. to all kinds of teams. especially with a coaching change. you just dont pay attention to the rotational guys signed/cut around the league like you do ours. if we start doing it frequently and missing on a lot of guys, its an issue but in a vacuum its not a big deal.

Edited by NoSaint

Yep, throwing another 1st round QB into the fire always works!

Anyone notice that many of the teams who drafted QB's are reverting to their veteran qbs rather than throwing their guy into the fire?

Cassel

Henne

Hoyer

Granted, the rookie may end up taking over at some point throughout the season. If Bridgewater was in Buffalo, and they said "We are starting Cassel over him", there would be riots.

Notice how these 3 teams all have veteran options? How its not just a guy with ten starts backed up by non-NFL players?

Well this is turning out to be one cluster !@#$ of a year and it hasn't started yet. Top LB and maybe top talent on Defense goes down with an ACL, we trade next years first for a WR when we don't have a QB to get him the ball, All the off the field issues with players, the sell of the team, etc.

You got Marone in my opinion losing the locker room, now he is going at it with upper management and to top it off.... we dont have a starting QB worth a **** and the backups are crap.

Can we trade Watkins to Cleveland for our first rounder back, because we might be picking first next year and can use a QB that the new GM, HC and owner will be choosing.

hey....you talked about something else other then QB....well kinda

Or maybe Whaley wanted a bigger threat at OC than Hackett?

This makes me wonder. Does Whaley have the power to get rid of Hackett and tell Marrone to find a new OC ?

I'm sure he does but would a GM really disband a coaching staff over the HC's head.

If Whaley didn't agree with the pick or at least have confidence EJ was the guy he would have done something about it this off season. Like draft one, sign one.

Not buying it was Nix's pick alone. No way. Whaley had to agree.

And Marrone agreed too. There is a John Murphy show interview where he talks about going to Tallahassee and knowing Manuel had "It" (his words) the first time he saw him

hey....you talked about something else other then QB....well kinda

But does he ever offer any compelling evidence to support his angry declarative rants about EJ being so terrible? If so, it has escaped me.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sounds believable. If you're gonna get rid of the only QB behind Manuel who's won an NFL game, you better get me a true #2 instead of Palmer, who's a #3 at best.

Massacre was the guy who tweeted a week ago that the bills loved Lewis' practice and was ahead in the backup competition

If the tweet from Rodak on Saturday about Whaley calling Hackett from the tunnel is true, I could see it being about that. I could see Whaley and Brandon wanting to explore other options sooner rather than later and Marrone believing he has the right guy and truly believing that the problem is all execution.

The coaches and front office sure do have a way with timing. Always good to implode less than two weeks before regular season. Who woulda guessed that EJ was gonna be a ? At QB. That Tuel wasn't an adequate backup. That Hackett's play calling abilities weren't up to snuff. I would say anyone who watched more than 1 game last year.

Also it is a little scary that our GM makes it seems like every sentence he puts together is a struggle. For what it is worth

If the tweet from Rodak on Saturday about Whaley calling Hackett from the tunnel is true, I could see it being about that. I could see Whaley and Brandon wanting to explore other options sooner rather than later and Marrone believing he has the right guy and truly believing that the problem is all execution.

You might be onto something there......

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

I think you may have nailed it. Of course everything is speculation but this scenario makes a lot of sense.

Hope this doesn't end the same for Marone as it did for Wade when he was given an ultimatum.

Edited by Mr. T

I just can't imagine a universe where that conversation is taking place...on the practice field...in front of the players...in front of the press.

That's a good point and you're probably right. I could see it happening like this though: it starts out harmlessly but then comments with some subtext were sprinkled in and it got a little out of control.

I just want the season to start already. I don't know how the team will do because they haven't showed much offensively which is troubling but it is only preseason so I'll wait on hitting the panic button. I tend to live on the optimistic side. I'm one of the few that thinks Hackett has promise as an OC. If we start out well, all these problems go away. Let's hope that that is how it goes.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Because competitive guys like NFL head coaches who used to be scrappy NFL players, and GMs, who in numerous interviews says, "I'm a competitive guy" never get in arguments.

Another little known fact is, in his whole career, Randy Moss never once said he was open in the huddle.

Because competitive guys like NFL head coaches who used to be scrappy NFL players, and GMs, who in numerous interviews says, "I'm a competitive guy" never get in arguments.

Another little known fact is, in his whole career, Randy Moss never once said he was open in the huddle.

There is something to be learned about our TSW posters in this thread though. Talk about the ultimate Rorschach test here.

Edited by NoSaint

Hackett is held back by **** at QB. So lets fire him, then make MARONE do the play calling. I mean isn't marone some guru that helped Drew Brees for awhile blah blah blah? Make his ass call the plays and lets see how that goes

Hackett is the biggest problem on the offense. And there's nothing to suggest he's gotten any better.

Hackett is the biggest problem on the offense. And there's nothing to suggest he's gotten any better.

You mean except for not using his scheme, his offense, his hurry up, his game planning and calling plays using his playbook in real games?

I'm not sure about him either, and he needs to prove he is up to the task, but we havent seen anything from him yet this year that he is really going to do.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

There is something to be learned about our TSW posters in this thread though. Talk about the ultimate Rorschach test here.

Yes, most threads are quite helpful this way.

Unfortunately, SDS has limited the amount of sanity that can be brought to the board to just 16 pages...

It seems to me that Morrone is realizing his team is not ready for the regular season to begin. That has to be especially frustrating considering they had that extra HOF game.

And Whaley has repeatedly said that failure is unacceptable. So I think Marrone is getting squeezed a little tighter each day. It is possible he feels like he is starting to spiral into a really bad rut like a guy where everything is starting to go wrong at once.

I don’t envy his position. Being a head coach in his situation probably sucks pretty friggin bad at the moment.

If Whaley didn't agree with the pick or at least have confidence EJ was the guy he would have done something about it this off season. Like draft one, sign one.

Not buying it was Nix's pick alone. No way. Whaley had to agree.

Late to this party.

Not singling you out in any way...but, I hope that this thread isn't double digit pages about whether Whaley or Nix or Whaley & Nix decided that EJ was the guy. It has nothing to do with the topic...why is Marrone upset with the higher ups? It isn't Manuel, it's much too late for Marrone to be upset with last year's #1 pick.

Late to this party.

Not singling you out in any way...but, I hope that this thread isn't double digit pages about whether Whaley or Nix or Whaley & Nix decided that EJ was the guy. It has nothing to do with the topic...why is Marrone upset with the higher ups? It isn't Manuel, it's much too late for Marrone to be upset with last year's #1 pick.

That was mostly pages 4-7, we also have a fight over whether you should fire hackett midseason, some talk of new owners firing everybody, that Palmer isn't a premier FA qb like desired, whether or not its "just preseason" and that marrone might be stealing lunches

Kirby should be here soon to offer up that it's hogans fault. Where y'at, kirb?

Edited by NoSaint

This is all part of Bills smoke screen play possum strategy to lull the bears into a false sense of security. Obviously.

Yep, I heard Buddy Nix called up Whaley and reminded him how when everyone everywhere thought Cordy Glenn was a LT, Buddy the Guard Whisperer told a few people he was actually an OG, and suddenly no one thought he was a LT anymore. He pulled the ol' switcheroo and we stole Cordy. Same way we're gonna steal the game from the Bears.

It's been reported EJ was Buddy's pick, his sort of swan song in that he wanted to get the BILLS a QB before he stepped down...I'm wondering now if Whaley truly feels saddled with this guy and essentially went all in on EJ hoping to manufacture confidence in the kid so he would perform better and now, feeling like the house of cards is falling down, he's panicking a bit and knows that EJ will make or break this season for the entire team...just a thought

WOW, very nice possible insight... very intuitive.... I asked the same question yesterday... Things that make you go hmmm....