New sale of team thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erie county and the city of Buffalo deserve to know

No, they don't. The Buffalo Bills are a private entity, not a public one.

That's all I'm saying and it's not too much to ask

Yes, it is. Your overdeveloped sense of personal entitlement doesn't count for **** in this process.

The reporting on this just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned

%concerns.

Indeed on all 3 counts.

This really is an exciting time to be a Bills and Sabres fan.

Both franchises seem poised to make waves and put Buffalo -- err, Pegulaville -- back on the sports map in a big way.

I disagree completely. Anyone with Kelly on the team has not only a shot, but a good shot in my opinion. Look at who the trustees are and their relationship with Kelly.

As to why Kelly would, one guess is he asked Pegula and Pegula said no. Or Kelly thinks Pegula would not be a good owner for the Bills. Only guesses of course.

Another wildcard is Golisano. He could hookup with them as well which would give this group more than enough bank to compete with Pegula.

The permutations are endless :)

Regardless, this group would keep the Bills in Buffalo as well so all is still well.

Jim Kelly has endorsed pretty much every QB the Bills have had since he left. I don't trust his judgement whatsoever.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe we are overlooking something. I believe Thurman Thomas has aligned himself with The Pegulas.

Matt Moulson, who recently signed with Sabres as a FA, was interviewed on July 2nd by WGR and he mentioned grew up a Bills Fan and is looking forward to going to some games. He also mentioned Thomas was his favorite player and he spoke to Terry who was going to talk to Thurman about getting him an autographed ball. Its possible that Pegula and Thurman have become friends through Thurman being a Sabres Fan.

But going back to Thurman's tweet from May "I just did something that will ensure the future of the Buffalo Bills in WNY for a long time."

I believe there is more to their relationship.

I could be wrong, but I have reason to believe that was in reference to something else related to the sale process.

Both franchises seem poised to make waves and put Buffalo -- err, Pegulaville -- back on the sports map in a big way.

Yes, fully agree.

Ok I guess will just not care. No where any where was it reported 8 people

Get to sit with are CEO and see all the books and put in non biding bids

Until today. But if your ok with it then I am too.

But it sure would be nice to now who these people are

And that solidifies my point. He has earmarked probably most if not all of that $1.75 BIL to the Buffalo Bills purchase. If Jim Kelly and Gundlach don't enter the picture then there is a good chance he gets the team for a cool $1 BIL and then has upwards of $750 MIL set aside for a stadium right off the bat! If they drive the price higher on him he is still going to win but if he has to pay say $1.4 BIL for the team then that is only $350 MIL for a new stadium. The higher the sale price goes, the less of a chance we have at getting a stadium

Or more likely the more we taxpayers will be contributing.

Or more likely the more we taxpayers will be contributing.

except that Cuomo has already stated that he doesn't think we need a new stadium. i doubt we see hardly anything from Albany. the new owner is going to be on the hook for the majority of the bill

Jim Kelly has endorsed pretty much every QB the Bills have had since he left. I don't trust his judgement whatsoever.

Then I guess it's good he isn't wanting to be a QB scout then ;).

Besides, of course he is going to publicly endorse every Bills QB. But we have no idea what he says behind closed doors to the coach/GM.

And more importantly...if Pegula is bidding, can he own both the Sabres and Bills in the same market?

i thought we already decided he would have to move them to Hamilton and change the name to the Fighting El Peguals

Yes, it is. Your overdeveloped sense of personal entitlement doesn't count for **** in this process.

This could be my favorite quote of all the quotables in all of the team sale threads :D

except that Cuomo has already stated that he doesn't think we need a new stadium. i doubt we see hardly anything from Albany. the new owner is going to be on the hook for the majority of the bill

Or not. I doubt building a new stadium is one of the trusts requirements.

You won't be laughing when all of a sudden a out of town person or group that is unknown

And nothing ever reported on about them bids 3 billion

From his google billions and wins the bidding.

Then You'll be like how did this happen and what are there Intensions.

By that time it's too late and they go to the. It's at the league meetings

To get approved.

The pressure this city has but on Bon Jovi had effect on the process

What is lurking in private behind the scenes and what the NFl

Really wants is a team In Los Angles or Toronto or London

So I don't take this lightly that 5 other get to meet with are CEO

Without public vetting

EL Pegual should go into the meeting with Mellissa Ethridge music blaring "BUT I"M THE ONLY ONE"

If the bid goes to say 1.5B then someone is paying for it somewhere. King Cuomo says a lot of things. I can envision something like a $100M County $250M State and $500 in El Pegual $

Or not. I doubt building a new stadium is one of the trusts requirements.

Except for the fact that Goodell has already stated the team will need a new stadium and uh, they get tapprove the new owner. Don't even bother if you don't have a stadium plan as part of your bid.

EL Pegual should go into the meeting with Mellissa Ethridge music blaring "BUT I"M THE ONLY ONE"

If the bid goes to say 1.5B then someone is paying for it somewhere. King Cuomo says a lot of things. I can envision something like a $100M County $250M State and $500 in El Pegual $

Except for the fact that Goodell has already stated the team will need a new stadium and uh, they get tapprove the new owner. Don't even bother if you don't have a stadium plan as part of your bid.

I'm fairly certain they only get to vote on the Owner's approval of the team purchase. They can subsequently push for a new stadium, but they cannot reject an owner's bid because he doesn't have plans fleshed out for a new stadium.

Wasn't part of the "iron clad" stadium lease that they could not even look into a new stadium now?

So I don't take this lightly that 5 other get to meet with are CEO

Without public vetting

And who, among the other 3, have been "publicly vetted?"

There is no "public vetting." It's a private sale, you knucklehead.

This is not good news. Why do I get the feeling

We're going to end up getting screwed

In the end

http://profootballta...-eight-suitors/

Who is "we". The fans? We have no say I have tried to tell you this from day one. Their goal is to get the best deal possible. Its about MONEY which is what Business is about. Look Ralph kept his word and kept the team here till he died. It is NOT The Trusts job to continue that, its to get the most money possible.

IF they find someone to keep the team here so be it, but understand when the lease is up odds are they will move IF it makes the owner and the NFL more money. Sorry but that is today's NFL. Don't like it, go back to just HS and college football, they are not moving anywhere

Tim Graham is reporting that Jim Kelly joined one of the 8 bidders -- but doesn't know which one.

Well as maybe a face but that is all. He doesn't have the 30% required to be the top dog, no way he is worth over 300 million dollars.

Edited by Kellyto83TD

Kelly's presence is basically immaterial to me. Only way he's involved is if someone needs him, and someonone only needs him if they in turn need to play the sentimental card with the trust. Assuming reports are true, pegulas presentation goes like this: I have about 1.3B cash that I will give you for team. And, as far as movement goes, I'm local so I'll do whatever you want to guarantee team here. And --- this is the part I doubt anyone can match --- team will either be held jointly w right of survivorship w my wife, Kim, or solely in her name. Beauty of that is Kim is not only a local but 45 YEARS OLD, so the worry of another sale to pay estate taxes is virtually nonexistent for 30 years.

In other words, in addition to seming cash advantage the pegulas can play the local game as well as anyone. Only group w that kind of edge might be the young tech guy from Lockport or the Jacobs if they get into the kid and put the team with the kids.

Kelly's presence is basically immaterial to me. Only way he's involved is if someone needs him, and someonone only needs him if they in turn need to play the sentimental card with the trust. Assuming reports are true, pegulas presentation goes like this: I have about 1.3B cash that I will give you for team. And, as far as movement goes, I'm local so I'll do whatever you want to guarantee team here. And --- this is the part I doubt anyone can match --- team will either be held jointly w right of survivorship w my wife, Kim, or solely in her name. Beauty of that is Kim is not only a local but 45 YEARS OLD, so the worry of another sale to pay estate taxes is virtually nonexistent for 30 years.

In other words, in addition to seming cash advantage the pegulas can play the local game as well as anyone. Only group w that kind of edge might be the young tech guy from Lockport or the Jacobs if they get into the bid and put the team with the kids.

What makes you say that? He's local and has gone on record saying he wants to buy the team because he loves the Buffalo Bills. I also think he's damn good at his day job.

He's good at his day job. But at the end of the day he's a trader, and they're not to be trusted.

hmmmm-

Lauren Brill@LaurenBrill4 7m

Per an attorney Pegula may be able to defer capital gains tax if he re-invests his gains from 1.75 billion-dollar deal into stadium

Depends on the definition of the assets he sold and what he's investing in and whether the IRS will buy into the explanation that a sale of oil & gas exploration land is a like-kind exchange for a football stadium site & construction.

That's it? Sorry you had a bad experience with one.

That and his history of generating headlines, exit from TCW, etc

Depends on the definition of the assets he sold and what he's investing in and whether the IRS will buy into the explanation that a sale of oil & gas exploration land is a like-kind exchange for a football stadium site & construction.

I'm going to guess they'd (Pegulas) try to characterize it as a land-sale/land-acquisition