New sale of team thread

How has he kept team here ? As far as I see, he wasn't in position to move it and plays no role in regards to sale process ? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see that he's played a role in keeping team in WNY.

I think that you are WAY underestimating his role in all of this.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brandon understands that his role/power will not be the same when a new owner comes in.

Think about it: his role wasn't the same until Mr. Wilson was finally unable to continue to call the shots. His power had steadily increased over the years, but that was only due to Mr. Wilson's age and health. I think Russ is smart enough to understand that a guy who spends over $1 billion is going to run his team.

I will also say this: anyone who knows anything about Tom Golisano knows that he runs his businesses with an iron fist. Not that he is a bad guy (he is quite generous in many ways) but there is no question that he is in charge.

In fact, most billionaires aren't keen on reporting to their employees. But Russ is a WNY guy through and through, is good at his job, and his heart is into making sure that the Bills succeed here. No reason to make a switch.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I think Brandon understands that his role/power will not be the same when a new owner comes in.

Think about it: his role wasn't the same until Mr. Wilson was finally unable to continue to call the shots. His power had steadily increased over the years, but that was only due to Mr. Wilson's age and health. I think Russ is smart enough to understand that a guy who spends over $1 billion is going to run his team.

nice post

He tries to stay hands off in that he ultimately defers the final decision to the football people. With that being said he is involved in every one.

We and several other posters debated Brandon in another thread -- my position was and is, that he bears responsibility for the failings of this football team over the past decade+ -- it seems most posters disagreed, however almost ALL posters will at least agree that he is totally responsible as of January 2013 -- if posters are now taking him off the hook on that date with comments that he is responsible, but not really, I think I'll puke !

Is there any information yet as to whether Pegula, Golisano and Trump have been vetted and pre-approved by the NFL? There seems to be some conflicting information on this point, and whether the vetting process has occurred or whether it happens at this stage or later. I doubt the Trust would select a winning bidder and then learn that the winner bidder is not acceptable to the NFL.

I think that you are WAY underestimating his role in all of this.

Can you be specific ? From what I see, he has no decision rights with respect to the sale and had no decision rights with respect to movement prior to Wilson's death. Most reports attribute the strict lease requirements to Erie Co/NY State. Again, what role has he played ?

If he manages Whaley and Whaley is GM, doesn't that mean Brandon is in charge of football operations ? at least it does in 99% of the organization structures I've seen.

in my experience most NFL teams vary in FO structure; titles can be misleading, and not all teams have certain positions. In Indy for example, bill polian became president/CEO when his son was promoted to GM. He oversaw all football operations. Irsay was only involved minimally. When Chris polian was fired, bill left too. Irsay hired Grigson and elected not to put another layer in between himself and the GM. However, grigson had very little experience with salary cap or operations. He was all scouting And personnel. So he kept one guy out of Polians FO, the director of player personnel, and made him director of football ops, since he was the only one who knew how to run that side. But he reported to the GM, not Irsay. Long story to just point out that there is a power struggle many times based on pay grade and seniority and things are promised when hiring from the outside. Edited by YoloinOhio

We and several other posters debated Brandon in another thread -- my position was and is, that he bears responsibility for the failings of this football team over the past decade+ -- it seems most posters disagreed, however almost ALL posters will at least agree that he is totally responsible as of January 2013 -- if posters are now taking him off the hook on that date with comments that he is responsible, but not really, I think I'll puke !

He is certainly in charge of everything from that point. The level of involvement may change but to your point, he is in charge. I believe that he will remain the top guy in the organization for a long time.

Can you be specific ? From what I see, he has no decision rights with respect to the sale and had no decision rights with respect to movement prior to Wilson's death. Most reports attribute the strict lease requirements to Erie Co/NY State. Again, what role has he played ?

For one, he is the point of contact for perspective owners. He is the one sifting through what they are saying and relaying the information. He has a TON of influence on the trust. The only reason that he is not on that panel is because it is a little bit of a conflict of interest in that he would decide on a group that will retain him. Either way, I am pretty confident that he will remain. He has been very, very, very, very involved (probably more than anyone else).

They are a very, very, very, very, very long shot at this point. I do not think that anyone has been formally defined (no reason to as it may drive the price). I would guess that he is grasping at anything to try to stop the bleeding of that group.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Cutting JBJ, or any group, weakens competition and obv could push price down.

Any idea on timeline for this? Given reeds thing last night and the smoke around town I'm assuming the sale is close to done deal and the current state of affairs is posturing.

what negative things is he "on the hook for" since jan 2013? EJ's knee injury?

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Cutting JBJ, or any group, weakens competition and obv could push price down.

Any idea on timeline for this? Given reeds thing last night and the smoke around town I'm assuming the sale is close to done deal and the current state of affairs is posturing.

It isn't that close yet. It is still on schedule though. The plan is to confirm the new owner in October.

For one, he is the point of contact for perspective owners. He is the one sifting through what they are saying and relaying the information. He has a TON of influence on the trust. The only reason that he is not on that panel is because it is a little bit of a conflict of interest in that he would decide on a group that will retain him. Either way, I am pretty confident that he will remain. He has been very, very, very, very involved (probably more than anyone else).

One more q. How are Mary Owen and Littman not conflicted? Assuming they're trustees (I'm so assuming) I've wondered about the possibility of their interests in the sale. I'd really like to see how the trust is constructed - it's probably beautiful - but I've thought about the possibility of a bidder "working" those votes. I suppose the practical answer (maybe not for Littman, but whatever) is that they're beneficiaries and any gain from sale dwarfs their salary, or that as trustees they're precluded from working in or for org for a certain time after sale.

what negative things is he "on the hook for" since jan 2013? EJ's knee injury?

I didn't mention any negatives, I was just trying to establish the fact that he is indeed responsible as of January 2013 for the football team's performance since another poster made it sound like he wasn't.

So, do you think if Brandon wasn't there, Pegula wouldn't be interested in buying team ?

One more q. How are Mary Owen and Littman not conflicted? Assuming they're trustees (I'm so assuming) I've wondered about the possibility of their interests in the sale. I'd really like to see how the trust is constructed - it's probably beautiful - but I've thought about the possibility of a bidder "working" those votes. I suppose the practical answer (maybe not for Littman, but whatever) is that they're beneficiaries and any gain from sale dwarfs their salary, or that as trustees they're precluded from working in or for org for a certain time after sale.

I think that they are probably going to be moving on. It's just a guess but they are obviously RW people before anything else. They will have no conflict by protecting his wishes and best interests. That is just speculation though.

I didn't mention any negatives, I was just trying to establish the fact that he is indeed responsible as of January 2013 for the football team's performance since another poster made it sound like he wasn't.

of course... But he cleaned house with nix, gailey and Fitz. The new crew in its 1st yr, judging from one season and 2 drafts, is progressing. Jmo.

I think that they are probably going to be moving on. It's just a guess but they are obviously RW people before anything else. They will have no conflict by protecting his wishes and best interests. That is just speculation though.

Agree on protection of wishes. Almost certainly written into trust. But what about an "all thing being equal" situation - that is, tie or near thing bw two local groups - one who will give them something they want v one that won't. I guess where I struggle is that if Russ isn't a trustee bc of conflict w future employment they (Littman and Owen) seem to have similar problem.