Ryan Mallett - back on the block?

Seems Bellichick is trying to dangle Mallett as trade bait again. Tons of media attention on Mallett in camp. Pats worked out Brady Quinn last week after already spending a 2nd rd pick on Garoppollo.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 36m

Buzz builds. RT @NBCdianna: Ryan Mallett is really good. He's the next Brian Hoyer coming out of Brady's school of QB's #Pats #Redskins

NFL@nfl Aug 4

"I was blown away today. I saw a legitimate NFL starting QB today backing up Tom Brady." http://on.nfl.com/1pU4GkN pic.twitter.com/X50okkSabk

WEEI@WEEI 8h

Mike Mayock: ‘Ryan Mallett is a starting quarterback in this league’ http://dlvr.it/6WnvCT

Ben Volin@BenVolin Aug 1

#Patriots could try to unload Mallett toward the end of camp for a low-round pick and go with Quinn or another veteran as backup QB...

BTW is being the "next Brian Hoyer" a compliment?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems Bellichick is trying to dangle Mallett as trade bait again. Tons of media attention on Mallett in camp. Pats worked out Brady Quinn last week after already spending a 2nd rd pick on Garoppollo.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 36m

Buzz builds. RT @NBCdianna: Ryan Mallett is really good. He's the next Brian Hoyer coming out of Brady's school of QB's #Pats #Redskins

NFL@nfl Aug 4

"I was blown away today. I saw a legitimate NFL starting QB today backing up Tom Brady." http://on.nfl.com/1pU4GkN pic.twitter.com/X50okkSabk

WEEI@WEEI 8h

Mike Mayock: ‘Ryan Mallett is a starting quarterback in this league’ http://dlvr.it/6WnvCT

Ben Volin@BenVolin Aug 1

#Patriots could try to unload Mallett toward the end of camp for a low-round pick and go with Quinn or another veteran as backup QB...

BTW is being the "next Brian Hoyer" a compliment?

Matt Cassell would have been better. At least he's started 5 games.

If they are willing to trade him in division, buyer beware.

On one hand,if he is as good as they say, other teams would have traded for him by now. On the other hand, maybe the Pats were asking too much before and/or wanted to wait to see what they had from Jimmy G. before pulling the trigger.

If he is the next Brady or even Dalton... the Pats keep him. Heck... if he is the next Ryan Fitzpatrick or Kelly Holcomb they keep him.

A good back up for the next 10 years... you keep that guy.

I think he is the next Rob Johnson.....

The Bills have placed all bets on EJ to the point of throwing everything , including grocery money, on the table for him. One, if Mallet is truly starter material and two the pats will deal him no way does he come to Buffalo.

nah - he won't be coming here. Houston still in the cards though, I imagine.

It's just hype to drive price up. He has not played enough to know.

He's played enough to know he's not worth trading anything, at all, for right now. Even if he lights-it-up in pre-season, it depends on whether he's going against starters or backups.

If he is the next Brady or even Dalton... the Pats keep him. Heck... if he is the next Ryan Fitzpatrick or Kelly Holcomb they keep him.

If Mallett sees himself as a starter. And most likely he does. They will have a very hard time keeping him when his rookie contract expires, Right now the pats* no matter how it's structured have a lot of money invested in that position. Ditto with Cousins when his contract expires. I Can see them trying to get something for him today.

If Mallett sees himself as a starter. And most likely he does. They will have a very hard time keeping him when his rookie contract expires, Right now the pats* no matter how it's structured have a lot of money invested in that position. Ditto with Cousins when his contract expires. I Can see them trying to get something for him today.

The Pats don't think he is good enough after investing years into developing him. It's why they drafted a qb high this year.

It's the Kevin Kolb syndrome. We see it all the time. A guy plays good for a game (in Tuel's case, a preseason game) and people start talking up how good he can be. Some dumb team gives up a pick and he sucks. See The myth of Kirk Cousins. The success rate on trading for backup Qbs is like 10%.

Mallett played in a qb friendly offense (see Brian Brohm). He makes Bledsoe looks fast. He isn't smart and likes coke. But other than that, he's a great prospect. Let's give NE a draft pick!

Winners or smart teams such as the Pats pick up good players weather they already have some on their team or not & they do it more with QB's because you can develop them & trade them for more picks .

They have been stashing Mallet letting him learn under the best until some one better that they couldn't pass on cause of his place in the draft (Garapollo) came along , now they can trade him to a team & get more picks .

Seeing as the Bills have first dibs on seeing this happen every year & have been having our asses handed to us for the last ten by the Pats you would think seeing as the NFL is a copy cat league or so they say, you would think if the Bills would pay attention they might learn something ...

But we most generally go about things (as my dad use to say) bass akwards !! We take a second round QB in a year that the QB class is not at all very good & not only pass on a guy that the coach knows better than any other QB in the draft but trade a pick & jump up in the first round to grab a second round QB :huh: ...

Then when the next years draft comes around despite all the negatives that were pointed out by numerous football experts we pass on at least 2 very good QB prospects in the late rounds of the draft as a back up plan or at least good competition because they don't want to hurt the development or what ever of the second round guy that we got in the first round ???

K DEN --- GO BILLS !!! :blink:

Edited by T master

Winners or smart teams such as the Pats pick up good players weather they already have some on their team or not & they do it more with QB's because you can develop them & trade them for more picks .

They have been stashing Mallet letting him learn under the best until some one better that they couldn't pass on cause of his place in the draft (Garapollo) came along , now they can trade him to a team & get more picks .

Seeing as the Bills have first dibs on seeing this happen every year & have been having our asses handed to us for the last ten by the Pats you would think seeing as the NFL is a copy cat league or so they say, you would think if the Bills would pay attention they might learn something ...

But we most generally go about things (as my dad use to say) bass akwards !! We take a second round QB in a year that the QB class is not at all very good & not only pass on a guy that the coach knows better than any other QB in the draft but trade a pick & jump up in the first round to grab a second round QB :huh: ...

Then when the next years draft comes around despite all the negatives that were pointed out by numerous football experts we pass on at least 2 very good QB prospects in the late rounds of the draft as a back up plan or at least good competition because they don't want to hurt the development or what ever of the second round guy that we got in the first round ???

K DEN --- GO BILLS !!! :blink:

NE has been a bad drafting team the last 5 years.

That said, there are a lot of stupid teams. Maybe one will be dumb enough to give a pick for a qb NE doesn't want & has proved nothing at the NFL.

The Pats don't think he is good enough after investing years into developing him. It's why they drafted a qb high this year.

It's the Kevin Kolb syndrome. We see it all the time. A guy plays good for a game (in Tuel's case, a preseason game) and people start talking up how good he can be. Some dumb team gives up a pick and he sucks. See The myth of Kirk Cousins. The success rate on trading for backup Qbs is like 10%.

Mallett played in a qb friendly offense (see Brian Brohm). He makes Bledsoe looks fast. He isn't smart and likes coke. But other than that, he's a great prospect. Let's give NE a draft pick!

Wasn't the coke thing quite a few years ago? i am not advocating getting him, but be it second third or fourth stringers. in his rookie year in his first pre season game he started the second half and had 5 consecutive TD drives a NFL record even if pre season. but some of the late round picks this year would have been a little more desirable. he ain't no Joe Montana.

have buddy put the peanut boiler down, and take the hoody* out for drinks and offer him our first round pick next year.......... Buddy knows QB's.

Belichick was asked about Mallett. Says he knows the offense. Promises lots of playing time this preseason

He knows the offense? Already? In only his fourth season?

That's funny!

They guy has an amazing arm, and I believe is a perfect example of why QB is about a lot more than a great arm.

So, now let his march to the HOF commence!

I criticize so many players for being "pre-packaged" products at the combine and such, but holy hell, if there ever was someone who needed some coaching it was him. I truly believe his pre-draft process cost him two rounds.

Brady Quinn was on the Dan Patrick Show the other day talking about a workout he had with a mystery team. He said "the workout went well but something would have to happen in that situation before he signed". Patrick asked him if he meant an injury and Quinn hesitated and said "yeah...something like that".

Why would Belichick not want Mallet to come to the Bills? He traded Bledsoe to them, and he was actually a QB who could play in the NFL.

Bledsoe's clock was ticking. Mallett may be around to win the Div. for the next 10 years. (Even though typing that made me laugh) I should clarify. The ONLY reason BB would let him over here is if he sucks OR is a serious risk with off field problems. Even then, trading to the Bills would require more of a return for the cheats than a team outside imo.

Bledsoe's clock was ticking. Mallett may be around to win the Div. for the next 10 years. (Even though typing that made me laugh) I should clarify. The ONLY reason BB would let him over here is if he sucks OR is a serious risk with off field problems. Even then, trading to the Bills would require more of a return for the cheats than a team outside imo.

Or Brady plans on playing for another 5yrs, which I believe to be the case. People love to rail on him, but the dude is the ultimate competitor who loves the game. IMO, as long as Brady plays, the Hoodie will coach, too.