Lions Defensive Highlights

Thought this might be useful in giving us an idea of what Schwartz's D will look like. Its mostly a lowlight film for Flynn, Cutler and Weeden and RGIII but this defense looks like an attacking front, lots of stunts and very aggressive.

I know its just the highlights, but I was encouraged by this

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Attacking D just different than our last DC. Liked watching that thanks. BTW Cutler has no eyes, never moves his head around even after a 3 count, I really used to want him in Buffalo too, so glad we didn't do that.

There's definitely more defensive talent here than in Detroit.

I also think we won't see nearly as many differences in pass defense, scheme-wise, as we may have been lead to believe.

Schwartz is a very smart coach, and he's going to use guys in ways that can make them most successful. I'm jut guessing, but I anticipate seeing things like Lawson splitting time between DE and LB, Stefan Charles playing on the boundary on run defense, Searcy seeing time in special blitz packages, etc. just as Pettine did.

lots of 5 rushers so there is some blitzing going on, definitely like the run defense but it comes down how well our players take to this scheme.

How in the world didn't Detroit win more games with Stafford, Calvin, bush and that defense?

Because you are watching highlights.... The secondary was AWFUL- this caused shootouts, and a run defense that was rarely tested. Was high ranked in volume stats but average at best in per carry stats. It also put a lot of pressure on the offense, and stafford is just ok. Last up they were incredibly undisciplined and put themselves in too many holes that were totally their own fault.

As to blitzing I think the stat was he brought 5 or more just 18% (?) of snaps, and was the 3rd (?) lowest total in the league- was a stat I saw right when we hired him so I'm not 100% firm

That said he sends the front four hard and we have the talent to get there.

Edited by NoSaint

lots of 5 rushers so there is some blitzing going on, definitely like the run defense but it comes down how well our players take to this scheme.

How in the world didn't Detroit win more games with Stafford, Calvin, bush and that defense?

I've been saying that since they got good under Schwartz.... Why do they keep losing?

But especially last year....

I say this over and over and no one wants to hear. We will not miss Pettine. The reason Schwartz came here and did not take a year off is because our defensive talent fits his scheme like a glove. Particularly having two phenomenal pass rushing DTs in Dareus and Kyle.

But the whole front line fits as well. We could use another pass rusher, gunna miss Kiko badly, but everything else is there. Schwartz may not of ever had a secondary as good or deep as ours is. If Gilmore can make that big jump this year we should be the envy of the NFL back there. Spikes and Brown were fantastic adds that are vital to this defense (as well as Pettine's) and they are gunna help so much it's ridiculous....

I can't wait!

Because you are watching highlights.... The secondary was AWFUL- this caused shootouts, and a run defense that was rarely tested. Was high ranked in volume stats but average at best in per carry stats. It also put a lot of pressure on the offense, and stafford is just ok. Last up they were incredibly undisciplined and put themselves in too many holes that were totally their own fault.

As to blitzing I think the stat was he brought 5 or more just 18% (?) of snaps, and was the 3rd (?) lowest total in the league- was a stat I saw right when we hired him so I'm not 100% firm

well that's encouraging.

Yards per rushing attempt and number of rushing attempts per game are very important stats to coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Because their HC was a clown...

Excited about our secondary. No byrd but having solid corners will help the safeties

@TCBILLS_Astro: According to #PFF Premium Stats (subscription req'd), McKelvin is 13th-ranked overall among CBs playing >900 snaps. #BillsMafia

I've been saying that since they got good under Schwartz.... Why do they keep losing?

But especially last year....

I say this over and over and no one wants to hear. We will not miss Pettine. The reason Schwartz came here and did not take a year off is because our defensive talent fits his scheme like a glove. Particularly having two phenomenal pass rushing DTs in Dareus and Kyle.

But the whole front line fits as well. We could use another pass rusher, gunna miss Kiko badly, but everything else is there. Schwartz may not of ever had a secondary as good or deep as ours is. If Gilmore can make that big jump this year we should be the envy of the NFL back there. Spikes and Brown were fantastic adds that are vital to this defense (as well as Pettine's) and they are gunna help so much it's ridiculous....

I can't wait!

i didn't watch much lions football because they were never in tv here except for thanksgiving. But I heard on WGR this week that lions had 6th best run D and were #1 in league on 3rd down.

Excited about our secondary. No byrd but having solid corners will help the safeties

@TCBILLS_Astro: According to #PFF Premium Stats (subscription req'd), McKelvin is 13th-ranked overall among CBs playing >900 snaps. #BillsMafia

i didn't watch much lions football because they were never in tv here except for thanksgiving. But I heard on WGR this week that lions had 6th best run D and were #1 in league on 3rd down.

As pointed out upthread, that run D gave up a fat 4.2 ypc. We were at 4.4 just to add some perspective. And the Lions pass D wasn't that good, either. That said, we have more talent across the board than the Lions so Schwartz should be happy about the group he inherited.

GO BILLS!!!

As pointed out upthread, that run D gave up a fat 4.2 ypc. We were at 4.4 just to add some perspective. And the Lions pass D wasn't that good, either. That said, we have more talent across the board than the Lions so Schwartz should be happy about the group he inherited.

GO BILLS!!!

I am, admittedly, a huge critic of last year's defense. I think they were horrible; especially vs. the run. I do think, however, that the less-than-2-minute offensive drives need to come to an end in order for Schwartz to have a chance to turn the D around.

I think abandoning the no-huddle needs to be considered if it begins to take a toll on the defense like it seemed to last year.

The talent seems to be there; a decent DC seems to be there. If this D can become even average, it will translate to wins, in my opinion.

GO BILLS!!!

20th in the league per carry last year at 4.2

23rd at 4.5 the year before

29th at 5.0 in 2011

His rush D might be overstated around here.

Edited by NoSaint

20th in the league per carry last year at 4.2

23rd at 4.5 the year before

29th at 5.0 in 2011

His rush D might be overstated around here.

I agree. Hardly the stuff of legend here. And looking at their yards per play against, they gave up 5.9 yards per play while we gave up a very respectable 4.9 (anything under 5 is good). As the very erudite gugny pointed out above, if we can keep our D off the field and just reduce the sheer number of plays against, I think we can do some damage. I like Schwartz's chances with us because of our talent, not because of any dominance Detroit had with their defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. Hardly the stuff of legend here. And looking at their yards per play against, they gave up 5.9 yards per play while we gave up a very respectable 4.9 (anything under 5 is good). As the very erudite gugny pointed out above, if we can keep our D off the field and just reduce the sheer number of plays against, I think we can do some damage. I like Schwartz's chances with us because of our talent, not because of any dominance Detroit had with their defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Does erudite rhyme with crudite?

I, too, think Schwartz will be the the best DC this team has seen in a while. I sure as hell hope so.

GO BILLS!!!

And our talent appears to be pretty well fit to his philosophy. Which is nice for a new hire coming in. I think we will field a good unit, and all - just not sure expectation/reputation are in line with résumé around here.

Edited by NoSaint

Does erudite rhyme with crudite?

I, too, think Schwartz will be the the best DC this team has seen in a while. I sure as hell hope so.

air-ooh-di-tay

I think it's safe to say Schwartz hasn't had horses across the board like he has with us. Even going back to his Titans days.

GO BILLS!!!

air-ooh-di-tay

I think it's safe to say Schwartz hasn't had horses across the board like he has with us. Even going back to his Titans days.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Dareus has a career year and Mario has his best year in Buffalo. Just a hunch. Likely just wishful thinking, but I'm going to go with it. I think our secondary has been fine and will continue to be fine/get better. It's all about stopping the run. It's even more important than pressuring the QB, IMO.

Big thing that bothered me this offseason is how little many fans know about the game. The whole Wanny vs Schwartz stuff, i couldnt even believe it. There are so many things that go into calling a game besides what the base scheme is.

As for blitzing, there is no right or wrong way, some good defenses blitz a lot some good defenses dont. Some that blitz are bad, some that dont are bad.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think Dareus has a career year and Mario has his best year in Buffalo. Just a hunch. Likely just wishful thinking, but I'm going to go with it. I think our secondary has been fine and will continue to be fine/get better. It's all about stopping the run. It's even more important than pressuring the QB, IMO.

I'll qualify that further: stopping the BIG running play. That killed us last year. Take those away, and we were very good against the run most of the time. Contrast that with 2012 when we were just GOUGED with the running game, period. Last year it was more stop, stop, stop, BOOM!

GO BILLS!!!

I'll qualify that further: stopping the BIG running play. That killed us last year. Take those away, and we were very good against the run most of the time. Contrast that with 2012 when we were just GOUGED with the running game, period. Last year it was more stop, stop, stop, BOOM!

GO BILLS!!!

What was most troublesome to me was when they let up big runs on obvious running downs. Killed me.

There's definitely more defensive talent here than in Detroit.

I also think we won't see nearly as many differences in pass defense, scheme-wise, as we may have been lead to believe.

Schwartz is a very smart coach, and he's going to use guys in ways that can make them most successful. I'm jut guessing, but I anticipate seeing things like Lawson splitting time between DE and LB, Stefan Charles playing on the boundary on run defense, Searcy seeing time in special blitz packages, etc. just as Pettine did.

I agree. I see the back talent for us being much better. What a genius Pettine looks by the play he had out of McKelvin and A. Williams.

The pundits who don't really spend time researching the Bills continue to report on the loss of Byrd, but they don't mention he wasn't on the field for the first I think 6 games due to his foot, playing well against the Ravens, Panthers, the Patriots ( I know they won), and so on.

Agreed Gugny. With Spikes backing up behind KW, he'll bang up a ton of guys. What will be interesting is Eddy Lacey vs. Spikes. That reminds me of the Nigerian Nightmare vs. Conlan. That was one hell of a battle on MNF 20+ years ago. The older guys on the thread probably remember that night. They won, but man it was a battle all night.

It comes down to the linebackers, IMO. And I know everyone is downtrodden over Kiko Alonso getting injured ... but don't forget; he was part of the problem last year. The linebackers' poor performance as a whole was abysmal. Not saying he couldn't have improved this year; he very well may have. But he was no sure thing and his injury could not have made the LB corps any worse than it was last year.

It comes down to the linebackers, IMO. And I know everyone is downtrodden over Kiko Alonso getting injured ... but don't forget; he was part of the problem last year. The linebackers' poor performance as a whole was abysmal. Not saying he couldn't have improved this year; he very well may have. But he was no sure thing and his injury could not have made the LB corps any worse than it was last year.

this is true. He played every single defensive down last year. But not sure he should have. What bums me out the most is how much more effective he would have been with spikes in the middle.

this is true. He played every single defensive down last year. But not sure he should have. What bums me out the most is how much more effective he would have been with spikes in the middle.

Indeed. The kid has serious upside. But his absence isn't the end of the season (or, world, for some). He's but one small piece of a very big puzzle.

Both highlight and lowlights, as well as "stats" can be misleading on their own as there are so many variables in game planning, personnel and assistant coaches. Not sure if anyone else follows Jim Light om Twitter but he puts out a lot of all-22 for college and pro. This is a good one for Lions vs. Vikings from last year, especially since we play them this season. It shows the 2 deep version of the fire zone (5 man pressure, with a Cover 2 concept behind it).

He shows some Bama stuff after it, they used some of the same thing against Auburn.

James Light @JamesALight · 13m

Cover 2 Fire Zones:
Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, I have heard that too and that is encouraging.

But I've read about Schwartz's wide-nine a bit and he essentially sends his front four up field to the ball just about every play. This is how he likes to get pressure more than blitzing. Last season, Super Marion stood up and played patty-cakes with the right

OT a ridiculous amount of time. He was reading the offense, looking for screens, delays and draws. He really should make more impact plays in this D. He should play much faster. Dareus would too, only he is often doubled and often can't beat it.

From what I've read, it is the LBs that have major run responsibilities. Particularly the MLB who has both A gaps. You need a very strong and stout player in at MLB to play this D, hence drafting Brown as not only competition but insurance. Interestingly enough the MLB has tons of run responsibilities in the 4-3 under. This is pettine's defense. Kiko, while doing an excellent job, should not not have played MLB in Pettine's D either and we probably would have signed Spikes had Pettine stayed.

I think Schwartz's defense is going to be good because it fits us. Because We have four linemen that excel at pass rushing.

He have some depth at DT.

We have Manny helping at end (and perhaps more, we'll see).

We have Spikes, Brown and Rivers, all good fits and hole fillers.

We are still good at S. A. Williams is a stud. He'll be great playing. The concern with Aaron is he has to shake the injury bug. I think he will. Denorris is big, mean and ready. Duke, Jonathan and Kenny Ladler provide good depth and competition.

And lastly, our cornerbacks may rival our defensive line in overall talent this year. Graham was an awesome signing.

Cockrell looks like he'll be able to help.

Schwartz is talking up uber talented Ron Brooks.

Robey is dynamic weapon at nickle.

Leodis is back to normal now. (The injury, the play, the losing, with hard work, he has been able to rise above that and is playing closer to his potential now. He's a good and solid inside-outside CB and a hell of returner too.)

Stephon Gilmore is definitely a key Bill once again, even with all the depth imho. With Kiko gone now, somebody has to lay the wood on some plays. Somebody has to create big plays. Make stops. Defend passes. Get tackles for losses on the right side of the defense. Nobody fits that description as well as Gilmore. Film junkie, gym rat, unusually big and strong for a CB, ultra fast and ultra quick. We need to make-up that probowl player that we lost in Kiko. Gilmore, now entering his third season, just might be able do that.

The point is, corner hurt us tons last year. With Gilmore's stunting broken wrist (what a chushing injury that was, almost as bad as this year's Kiko injury). Justin Rogers complete collapse, Ron Brooks injuries, (did even McKelvin miss a game or two?)

The point is, we might be like a machine at corner this fall, possibly going six deep and all being valuable. (No scrubs!)

This difference is huge!

So, attacking front four.

Fixed MLB position and that is huge also. (I would have said LB fixed entirely until....) but at least we have a few options there now..if Kiko got hurt last year it would have been even more disasterous.

Fixed cornerback depth. The biggest change. We could go from it being a huge weakness last season to a huge strength this season. And that could make up for Kiko. (Although I wanted to see this D gel into an ultra top unit....oh well, maybe all the LBs will surprise and be a solid unit.)

No injuries!

Go Bills!