Kiko Alonso - Words of Wisdom

Gugny

It's common knowledge that Kiko Alonso will be out for the year due to an ACL injury. He's got access - presumably - to the best doctors and experts in that field.

That said - I'm not necessarily convinced that these guys always get the best advice. There are a lot or recurring injuries; especially with the knees.

The purpose of this thread is to ask the general TBD public ---- What words of wisdom would you give to Kiko Alonso in order to get him back on the field a) quickly and b) for the long-term?

Ideally, those with experience in dealing with traumatic knee injuries will offer what they would advise.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common knowledge that Kiko Alonso will be out for the year due to an ACL injury. He's got access - presumably - to the best doctors and experts in that field.

That said - I'm not necessarily convinced that these guys always get the best advice. There are a lot or recurring injuries; especially with the knees.

The purpose of this thread is to ask the general TBD public ---- What words of wisdom would you give to Kiko Alonso in order to get him back on the field a) quickly and b) for the long-term?

Ideally, those with experience in dealing with traumatic knee injuries will offer what they would advise.

Why would you think they don't always get the best advice? I'm pretty sure the surgeon will do a very competent job. They will place him on a rehab shedule and he will have to diligently follow that course. Then he should be able to come back next year as close to 100% as he could hope for

My advice....just because I had to watch an athlete struggle through this.......

- The first biggest thing I saw when my son tore his ACL before his senior season........denial. Athletes by nature think they can will themselves through injuries.......first they dont want to beleive it...then when the MRI is confirmed....twice.....they want to believe that THEIR timeline of recovery will allow them to return to still be able to play while they are still relevent to the season. There were LITERALLY fights in my house because the first MRI was inconclusive and I wanted a second one before I would sign the authorization papers to play.....when the second one came in I refused to sign.........so the first thing is denial.

- Then there is the sergury.....and let me tell u what this is no cakewalk........they come out of the surgury and they have to be wheelchaired around (athletes HATE this) and waited on.......they have to keep cold on it for several days......stay off their feet....elevate.....and keep careful watch for infection. They have to take modified showers......they cant do anything they are used to doing.....their food is brought to them.....its hard to sleep.......it requires patience on the part of the athlete

- Bordom......then there is the long wait before rehab can begin.........and during this time this is when the depression usually sets in.....to go from having visits to the house from colleges to those same people walking away.....moving onto the next guy.......realizing that an opportunity has passed.......and you sit there and live it all with them.

- Then the time finally comes for physical therapy.....and by this time they are all frustrated because they have lost all the strength and size they worked so hard to biuld.........and of course the knee is painful......swells because of the activity.......is weak as all heck.......and the PT people cant make the healing go any faster........

- Then more time goes by.....now the knee is healed......but it is discovered that another scope is needed becuase of cartilage issues......which further delays things....rinse and repeat the steps above......

- OK.....now the leg is ready to start rebiulding all that strength, flexibility, and speed that it once had....but guess what? A lot of time has passed and the going is slow.....very slow......but you keep at it.....every day....you have to be reminded not to do too much or you could set yourself back....you dont want to listen you want to be well now.....but the fact is that the body will only heal on its own time.....and that is THAT

Jesus I could go on and on with this nightmare. I just hope Kiko is not rushed back.......make sure that knee has healed STRONGER then it was before and dont let him back until it is guaranteed 100 percent.

Kiko do the knee thing right, don't succumb to a "quick return" , some will want that. Get it done right, and the knee will be better than new. (the Emerson Boozer days are long gone. Boozer took 2 years to come back at 3/4 speed, but that was the 70's and this is now....things are MUCH better. He was a killer Jets RB)

Actually, I thought this thread was going to be Kiko giving us words of wisdom.

The idea that we humans can offer wisdom to an omnipotent being like Kiko is blasphemous, frankly.

I really don't think that's true. What we've gone through ourselves or witnessed in a son and/or daughter carries immeasurable weight.

Hearing from JfH (so far the only serious answer I think) is profound. That's firsthand stuff, not scuttlebutt. I know that we all get off on the #legendofKiko, but, this is different. He'll be on his own (within his own mind) during this time. He won't be able to do what he seems to truly enjoy. Knowing that others here have gone through the same process is helpful to us as a community.

Hopefully others will share whether it's rehab from football or dance or baseball it all counts (soccer too). Football players are performers & anyone with firsthand experience in the trials that a performer goes through will have good info to share.

PS Personally I don't have anything to offer here. I had a total knee reconstruction when I was 16, but they used leeches on me.

My kids have battled through broken noses, Achilles injuries and a couple broken wrists. I can offer some wisdom based on that, but I don't think it compares to what others can offer.

Edited by Beerball

Actually, I thought this thread was going to be Kiko giving us words of wisdom.

The idea that we humans can offer wisdom to an omnipotent being like Kiko is blasphemous, frankly.

So true...kind of like DC Tom asking me for a brief history of the Peloponnesian War.

My advice....just because I had to watch an athlete struggle through this.......

- The first biggest thing I saw when my son tore his ACL before his senior season........denial. Athletes by nature think they can will themselves through injuries.......first they dont want to beleive it...then when the MRI is confirmed....twice.....they want to believe that THEIR timeline of recovery will allow them to return to still be able to play while they are still relevent to the season. There were LITERALLY fights in my house because the first MRI was inconclusive and I wanted a second one before I would sign the authorization papers to play.....when the second one came in I refused to sign.........so the first thing is denial.

- Then there is the sergury.....and let me tell u what this is no cakewalk........they come out of the surgury and they have to be wheelchaired around (athletes HATE this) and waited on.......they have to keep cold on it for several days......stay off their feet....elevate.....and keep careful watch for infection. They have to take modified showers......they cant do anything they are used to doing.....their food is brought to them.....its hard to sleep.......it requires patience on the part of the athlete

- Bordom......then there is the long wait before rehab can begin.........and during this time this is when the depression usually sets in.....to go from having visits to the house from colleges to those same people walking away.....moving onto the next guy.......realizing that an opportunity has passed.......and you sit there and live it all with them.

- Then the time finally comes for physical therapy.....and by this time they are all frustrated because they have lost all the strength and size they worked so hard to biuld.........and of course the knee is painful......swells because of the activity.......is weak as all heck.......and the PT people cant make the healing go any faster........

- Then more time goes by.....now the knee is healed......but it is discovered that another scope is needed becuase of cartilage issues......which further delays things....rinse and repeat the steps above......

- OK.....now the leg is ready to start rebiulding all that strength, flexibility, and speed that it once had....but guess what? A lot of time has passed and the going is slow.....very slow......but you keep at it.....every day....you have to be reminded not to do too much or you could set yourself back....you dont want to listen you want to be well now.....but the fact is that the body will only heal on its own time.....and that is THAT

Jesus I could go on and on with this nightmare. I just hope Kiko is not rushed back.......make sure that knee has healed STRONGER then it was before and dont let him back until it is guaranteed 100 percent.

Great post. Alot of things going on that you normally dont hear or think about. I got frustrated just reading this. Hope he can come back 100%

Jesus I could go on and on with this nightmare.

You should. Perspective is important, and not just what your son went though with rehab but how he walked away from the game for a time. Your daughters trials...it's all pertinent.