Kiko Alonso - Words of Wisdom

Gugny

You should. Perspective is important, and not just what your son went though with rehab but how he walked away from the game for a time. Your daughters trials...it's all pertinent.

The thing about my son is that I never thought for a second that he wouldnt come back and try again.......there has been no quit in him ever. He had a plan of what he wanted to do and has not detoured from it (wants to go into sports medicine....plans to take the juco route....then transfer to a Div I school)

even though he took an extra full year off he got massage therapist license and started a gym with his trainer (for the past 4 years he has been training with a guy that played in the NFL Europe league as a running back/wide receiver.....and is pretty much a sports legend in our area. So while his friends were starting college and broke most of the time......my son was biulding his two businesses and making money.....all the while continuing to rebiuld his body. He literally put on about 20 pounds of muscule and is in the best shape he has ever been.

I know the coach of the juco my son is playing at (more like my wife does as she works local) and there is a lot of respect there.....he knows my sons situation and was joking with me that while he might be a bit rusty out there at the start of this football camp NOBODY has his physical conditioning and he is out there lapping the wide receivers and defensive backs in drills even though players are like 2 years younger. He just has to get his reps in to get his technique down again. The coaches really work with him to (they watch practice film at a time when my son is teaching his fitness classes but the coaches allow him to come in and watch at a separate time and go over film with him.)

To say I am proud there is an understatement....not just because he is a football player but also just really well rounded and follows through ....understands responsibility (what 20 year old regularly checks their FICO score lol)

as for my daughter.......

A truly traumatizing event. I have been in a car accident where I have been knocked off the road from behind but the thought of being in car that gets hit from the front at a high speed from a car going the other way......get rolled several times......and be upside down in the dead of night and alone still gives me shivers. I still do not understand how she walked away from that wreck. Everyone is telling us that were on the scene that everything went perfectly right in order for her to live (except for the accident itself)

Her situation is also frustrating........we live about 2 hours away from where she was attempting to make her living (I dont know if anyone else has been a actor but extremely hard to work a job as you have to pick up and leave immediately for a audition or project or meeting......and then if you do well your right back up their the next day for a callback. This means when your doing this it is nearly impossible to work.

Car was just completely totaled......and she has minor injuries that she is dealing with but is almost healed. Finances are gone.

The other thing a actor has to deal with is making sure their fickle representation doesnt drop them when they realize that they cant make money for them anymore.....but I will say this for some reason my kids do get blessed in certain areas. I got a call from her commercial agent who found out about the accident that they were NOT dropping her and she could take all the time she needed and this is from one of the top commercial agencies in Hollywood. They just put her on an inactive roster and said to let them know when she could come back. I was very impressed there.

She also has a plan to. To work (she already is working a couple of jobs at radio shack and payless shoe store in the mall in our home town and runs chareoki at night for one of the local under 18 clubs) work and get transportation put back together and some money saved.....by that time I will bout of the bankruptsy I am in (a whole other story.....but the 5 long years of this will be finished by this time next year) she will 19 and young enough to still fit her profile type.

Anyway.....proud of both of them.....kids that know what they want to do and wont be denied. I help where I can.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT is especially a frustrating experience.

Still, I'm sure that Kiko has recieved the best medical advice that money can buy. It's up to him to follow it to the letter. I'm not sure us offering advice would be as valuable as us telling him to follow the advice he has already received, for both his and the Bills benefit.

Then again, no one tells Kiko what to do. To do Kiko tells what.

He`s already torn the other knee. He knows what`s coming and what he has to do. Also the knee joint will never be stronger than what it was. Not even as strong. The muscles around it will get built up stronger . Sometimes the quad muscle will be smaller. I`ve tore my left acl twice. The second time I just left it. At 55 and doing auto collision it can be a pain from the bending. Hope he heals great. He has the heart,just bad luck with his knees.

My uneducated belief is that the hip injury he suffered forced him into adjustments that ultimately affected his knee. Not unlike Dizzy Dean who came back too early from a big toe injury that forced him to alter his throwing style and led to him blowing out his arm and ending his career.

The thing about my son is that I never thought for a second that he wouldnt come back and try again.......there has been no quit in him ever. He had a plan of what he wanted to do and has not detoured from it (wants to go into sports medicine....plans to take the juco route....then transfer to a Div I school)

even though he took an extra full year off he got massage therapist license and started a gym with his trainer (for the past 4 years he has been training with a guy that played in the NFL Europe league as a running back/wide receiver.....and is pretty much a sports legend in our area. So while his friends were starting college and broke most of the time......my son was biulding his two businesses and making money.....all the while continuing to rebiuld his body. He literally put on about 20 pounds of muscule and is in the best shape he has ever been.

I know the coach of the juco my son is playing at (more like my wife does as she works local) and there is a lot of respect there.....he knows my sons situation and was joking with me that while he might be a bit rusty out there at the start of this football camp NOBODY has his physical conditioning and he is out there lapping the wide receivers and defensive backs in drills even though players are like 2 years younger. He just has to get his reps in to get his technique down again. The coaches really work with him to (they watch practice film at a time when my son is teaching his fitness classes but the coaches allow him to come in and watch at a separate time and go over film with him.)

To say I am proud there is an understatement....not just because he is a football player but also just really well rounded and follows through ....understands responsibility (what 20 year old regularly checks their FICO score lol)

as for my daughter.......

A truly traumatizing event. I have been in a car accident where I have been knocked off the road from behind but the thought of being in car that gets hit from the front at a high speed from a car going the other way......get rolled several times......and be upside down in the dead of night and alone still gives me shivers. I still do not understand how she walked away from that wreck. Everyone is telling us that were on the scene that everything went perfectly right in order for her to live (except for the accident itself)

Her situation is also frustrating........we live about 2 hours away from where she was attempting to make her living (I dont know if anyone else has been a actor but extremely hard to work a job as you have to pick up and leave immediately for a audition or project or meeting......and then if you do well your right back up their the next day for a callback. This means when your doing this it is nearly impossible to work.

Car was just completely totaled......and she has minor injuries that she is dealing with but is almost healed. Finances are gone.

The other thing a actor has to deal with is making sure their fickle representation doesnt drop them when they realize that they cant make money for them anymore.....but I will say this for some reason my kids do get blessed in certain areas. I got a call from her commercial agent who found out about the accident that they were NOT dropping her and she could take all the time she needed and this is from one of the top commercial agencies in Hollywood. They just put her on an inactive roster and said to let them know when she could come back. I was very impressed there.

She also has a plan to. To work (she already is working a couple of jobs at radio shack and payless shoe store in the mall in our home town and runs chareoki at night for one of the local under 18 clubs) work and get transportation put back together and some money saved.....by that time I will bout of the bankruptsy I am in (a whole other story.....but the 5 long years of this will be finished by this time next year) she will 19 and young enough to still fit her profile type.

Anyway.....proud of both of them.....kids that know what they want to do and wont be denied. I help where I can.

You damned well should be !

Funny how our children can inpsire us and keep us on track.

Thank you Beer for the nudge our friend here.

And darn it , even though its a tough story to read John , the highlights are fantastic.

Talk about obstacles and life lessons !

Being a proud parent of four adult children i have some understanding of what you convey. well alot actually.

Thanks Brother !

In regards to Kiko and health care.

Being sure you have the "right " care is nothing to sneeze at.

I suspect the emotional aspect will be the hardest as John has witnessed first hand , for Alonso. I hope he has family or a quality surrounding cast who will walk the whole path with him and pick him up if he falters. He too is a good kid i suspect

He`s already torn the other knee. He knows what`s coming and what he has to do. Also the knee joint will never be stronger than what it was. Not even as strong. The muscles around it will get built up stronger . Sometimes the quad muscle will be smaller. I`ve tore my left acl twice. The second time I just left it. At 55 and doing auto collision it can be a pain from the bending. Hope he heals great. He has the heart,just bad luck with his knees.

Good points Pa.

I have considered that he may not return because of previous injury . Not his MO but...

My uneducated belief is that the hip injury he suffered forced him into adjustments that ultimately affected his knee. Not unlike Dizzy Dean who came back too early from a big toe injury that forced him to alter his throwing style and led to him blowing out his arm and ending his career.

This is quite true.I F'd up my right knee when I was well into rehabbing the left knee. A second surgery was required.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

A real lousy ROI, though.....

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

It's common knowledge that Kiko Alonso will be out for the year due to an ACL injury. He's got access - presumably - to the best doctors and experts in that field.

That said - I'm not necessarily convinced that these guys always get the best advice. There are a lot or recurring injuries; especially with the knees.

The purpose of this thread is to ask the general TBD public ---- What words of wisdom would you give to Kiko Alonso in order to get him back on the field a) quickly and b) for the long-term?

Ideally, those with experience in dealing with traumatic knee injuries will offer what they would advise.

I would ask a professional athlete with experience in long-term rehabilitation of a knee injury. Like Kiko Alonso.

I would ask a professional athlete with experience in long-term rehabilitation of a knee injury. Like Kiko Alonso.

I don't think Kiko Alonso is a member of the TBD community. I don't even think he knows English.

At times like these, it's best to reflect on what I consider the best advice ever give to a man embarking on a mission:

The Lord loves a working man.

Don't trust whitey.

See a doctor and get rid of it.

Helter. Skelter.

At times like these, it's best to reflect on what I consider the best advice ever give to a man embarking on a mission:

The Lord loves a working man.

Don't trust whitey.

See a doctor and get rid of it.

Jerk....not you...the movie. Edited by BringBackFergy