Kiko Alonso - Words of Wisdom

Gugny

In all seriousness, has anyone heard that certain athletes don't need acl's to play? And some people were born without them.

I am pretty sure pat Moran's daughter didn't have an acl (may she rest in peace).

This is a great point.

I would like for someone to volunteer their newborn to have the following things removed as soon as possible after birth: appendix, tailbone, tonsils, adenoids and the acl. They all do nothing but hurt really bad until they get taken out. There's no need for them in the first place!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common knowledge that Kiko Alonso will be out for the year due to an ACL injury. He's got access - presumably - to the best doctors and experts in that field.

That said - I'm not necessarily convinced that these guys always get the best advice. There are a lot or recurring injuries; especially with the knees.

The purpose of this thread is to ask the general TBD public ---- What words of wisdom would you give to Kiko Alonso in order to get him back on the field a) quickly and b) for the long-term?

Ideally, those with experience in dealing with traumatic knee injuries will offer what they would advise.

1) seek out the best physical therapy and make a religion out of doing all that they say, including the wimpy exercises that don't seem to be doing jack

2) train the stabilizer muscles

Get a new trainer Kiko.

If you did in fact blow out your ACL working out (playing hoops maybe?...we will never really know) after playing 400 NFL snaps as a middle linebacker last year without injury, then you are doing something stupid in the gym.

I've never heard of a pro athlete ripping up his ACL working out. Never. Maybe it's the Curse of the Bills linebackers (Conlan, Cowart, now Kiko). Bad injuries while on the verge of greatness.

My advice....just because I had to watch an athlete struggle through this.......

- The first biggest thing I saw when my son tore his ACL before his senior season........denial. Athletes by nature think they can will themselves through injuries.......first they dont want to beleive it...then when the MRI is confirmed....twice.....they want to believe that THEIR timeline of recovery will allow them to return to still be able to play while they are still relevent to the season. There were LITERALLY fights in my house because the first MRI was inconclusive and I wanted a second one before I would sign the authorization papers to play.....when the second one came in I refused to sign.........so the first thing is denial.

- Then there is the sergury.....and let me tell u what this is no cakewalk........they come out of the surgury and they have to be wheelchaired around (athletes HATE this) and waited on.......they have to keep cold on it for several days......stay off their feet....elevate.....and keep careful watch for infection. They have to take modified showers......they cant do anything they are used to doing.....their food is brought to them.....its hard to sleep.......it requires patience on the part of the athlete

- Bordom......then there is the long wait before rehab can begin.........and during this time this is when the depression usually sets in.....to go from having visits to the house from colleges to those same people walking away.....moving onto the next guy.......realizing that an opportunity has passed.......and you sit there and live it all with them.

- Then the time finally comes for physical therapy.....and by this time they are all frustrated because they have lost all the strength and size they worked so hard to biuld.........and of course the knee is painful......swells because of the activity.......is weak as all heck.......and the PT people cant make the healing go any faster........

- Then more time goes by.....now the knee is healed......but it is discovered that another scope is needed becuase of cartilage issues......which further delays things....rinse and repeat the steps above......

- OK.....now the leg is ready to start rebiulding all that strength, flexibility, and speed that it once had....but guess what? A lot of time has passed and the going is slow.....very slow......but you keep at it.....every day....you have to be reminded not to do too much or you could set yourself back....you dont want to listen you want to be well now.....but the fact is that the body will only heal on its own time.....and that is THAT

Jesus I could go on and on with this nightmare. I just hope Kiko is not rushed back.......make sure that knee has healed STRONGER then it was before and dont let him back until it is guaranteed 100 percent.

Excellent advice and right on point. I blew my knee out in January of 99. Ended my powerlifting run. It's funny when you mentioned denial as that is exactly what you think, and it is very hard to stay positive.

By the Bills placing him on IR, he'll have a full year to get better. I hated seeing him hurt, but we're lucky Whaley has done a fine job with providing more depth than we've had in years. Get better Kiko.

In all seriousness, has anyone heard that certain athletes don't need acl's to play? And some people were born without them.

I am pretty sure pat Moran's daughter didn't have an acl (may she rest in peace).

Thurman Thomas. Hines Ward. Me.

I wore a brace and I could feel that the knee was less stable, but didn't affect anything performance wise. Actually back when I had my injury, the recommendation was 50-50 as to whether to have the surgery to replace the ligament or not. As a professional athlete though, I can't imagine not having it replaced given all the stress they place on the knee. I think that the risk of injury to other parts of the knee would be too great without it.

I have torn both ACL's. My first was in 1990 and I had open knee reconstruction. It was a modified Jones reconstruction on the left knee, in which the doctor (Indians and Browns physician by the way) grafted a piece of my patellar tendon into holes drilled into the femur and the tibia. Once the holes healed themselves, the tendon basically took the place of the shredded ACL (astroturf injury and nobody touched me - I just changed directions and my heel caught the turf before I was ready for it - Turf Monster). The worst part about this surgery is the pain, swelling, and scar tissue that grew while my knee was locked into an 11-degree flexion. Never have open knee surgery!!! It was 8 months to the day that I played hockey again. I also lost my lateral meniscus with that injury, and THAT is what really affects me now at age 50.

The second injury was a cheap shot in hockey (don't worry - I got even later) with only minimal cartilage damage but a shredded right ACL. Again I had modified Jones, but it was done via the scope. I walked without a limp in 3 weeks and was back on skates in 4 months - I shouldn't have been, but that was the athlete in me as mentioned above! That knee is fine, and the hardest part was waiting for my body to heal.

The ACL reconstruction process is pretty straightforward and these days it's second-nature. It's just a waiting game.

Kiko will have the best of care possible and his rehab will be monitored closely by true experts. He will be fine, but it will be very difficult for him to just watch the entire season. If he were just a recreational athlete like me, he could probably come back at 5 months, but to play in the NFL he needs as much rehab time as he can get. If it were going to happen, it's better that it happened now so he gets a good long time to recover.

I've never heard of a pro athlete ripping up his ACL working out. Never. Maybe it's the Curse of the Bills linebackers (Conlan, Cowart, now Kiko). Bad injuries while on the verge of greatness.

Uwe Krupp did it once. Jumping over things during a Sabres' workout. It happens. You can blow your ACL stepping off a curb.

I just recovered from a completely torn ACL and MCL.

It sucks.

Basically, yeah. The most accepted/successful practice for an athlete is to graft off the middle of the patellar tendon, cut notches in the tibia and kneecap along with the tendon, and attach it to make a new ACL and bone heals to bone which creates the strongest bond.

This day and age, the recovery from ACL reconstruction can easily be 100%. He will be completely fine long term as long as he listens to the professionals, rehabs correctly and takes care of himself. Both my knees now have the same risk for another incident.

He will be fine. These days, you can legitimately be back 4 months after surgery if things all go well.

Oh, and you can survive without an ACL, however your knee wont be as sturdy and you would be ultra-prone to a catastrophic knee injury if you played a sport that required cutting.

The worst part was the 8 days post surgery. The pain down in the shin was fairly intense when standing up to go to the bathroom. The full leg brace was also a hassle. You also gotta watch what you eat. For an active person to go inactive for a long period of time, while eating the same/worse is a bad recipe.

Edited by May Day 10

It's common knowledge that Kiko Alonso will be out for the year due to an ACL injury. He's got access - presumably - to the best doctors and experts in that field.

That said - I'm not necessarily convinced that these guys always get the best advice. There are a lot or recurring injuries; especially with the knees.

The purpose of this thread is to ask the general TBD public ---- What words of wisdom would you give to Kiko Alonso in order to get him back on the field a) quickly and b) for the long-term?

Ideally, those with experience in dealing with traumatic knee injuries will offer what they would advise.

My advice would be to listen to the doctors and do exactly what they say. Often times athletes are in such a hurry to get back to it that they start working out too soon and damage it even further.

Let it heal.

Steriods

CBF

Honest question for the docs out there...will HGH help in this type of rehab? Is there a low, moderate or high probability that it would be prescribed? (if prescribed it would be ok w the NFL for the duration of the script, correct?)

He`s already torn the other knee. He knows what`s coming and what he has to do. Also the knee joint will never be stronger than what it was. Not even as strong. The muscles around it will get built up stronger . Sometimes the quad muscle will be smaller. I`ve tore my left acl twice. The second time I just left it. At 55 and doing auto collision it can be a pain from the bending. Hope he heals great. He has the heart,just bad luck with his knees.

I am 53 almost 54 and I have a knee that "pops", makes a popping noise when I sit wrong. I have no idea what it is but it does it quite a bit lately. When I was younger it had some soreness sometimes but never did this. It kind of hurts some, only if I pop it running or cutting (I have a 2 year old so yeah some times I cut when I run lol) then it hurts a lot and for days (to the point I limp). Have any ideas what it might be? I ask you because I used to do auto work and construction, that sort of stuff. Always down and up kind of work. Anyone else wants to chime in too, can't really afford the doc right now, this has been going on a couple of years now, no insurance (I'm not not in the states, although working to get back).

Sounds like it could be your patella tendon,connected to your knee cap? Yeah getting old is a bitc_ . I`ve got another torn acl Left.Torn mcl in the rt, five bad disc in back. two bone spurs in my neck,trigger finger, left elbow surgery hernia operation.Still work everyday,no meds. I see people on disability with minor injuries. No pain tolerance. Or lazy.