Pegula hires premiere sports broker for Bills deal

I thought he had only worked with sellers before. This would make the hiring make a lot more sense.

As to the rest of your post, it could well turn out that way (and I hope it does). But this treating someones speculation as fact makes me crazy (admittedly a short trip).

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/07/02/pegulas-hire-sports-business-slugger-steve-greenberg-oversee-pursuit-bills/

Greenberg's resume is astounding. He has brokered sales or purchases of the Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers, New York Mets and San Diego Padres, Cleveland Cavaliers, Washington Wizards and, most recently, the Milwaukee Bucks

I'm torn on Pegula being the new owner of the Bills, and it certainly looks like he will be the man going forward. On one hand its the best thing that can happen because he will 100% keep the team in Buffalo, and on a personal level we all love the guy.

On the other hand, and looking at whats happened with the Sabres since he took over it gives pause for concern. Daniel Snyder in the AFC East? I just want to see the Bills winning the division again year after year, and want an owner like Robert Kraft or Pat Bowlen who will hire a top HC / GM, and let them do their jobs.

I'm torn on Pegula being the new owner of the Bills, and it certainly looks like he will be the man going forward. On one hand its the best thing that can happen because he will 100% keep the team in Buffalo, and on a personal level we all love the guy.

On the other hand, and looking at whats happened with the Sabres since he took over it gives pause for concern. Daniel Snyder in the AFC East? I just want to see the Bills winning the division again year after year, and want an owner like Robert Kraft or Pat Bowlen who will hire a top HC / GM, and let them do their jobs.

Did you just compare Pegula to Snyder? Really? Unphucking believable!

Looks like you've bought into all the "meddling" conspiracies.

GO BILLS!!!

Pegula's downfall with the sabres was more of regiers doing than pegula. Looking at what Murray is doing now with a team every free agent knows if in full tank mode it's amazing the players we brought in.

I have no idea how the Bills or Sabres will turn out.

When he bought the Sabres he took off the financial handcuffs, and Regier went nuts throwing money around (Leino? Seriously?). They have a complete rebuild going on now, and only time will tell.

The Bills appear on paper to be much improved from the previous 14 years. I doubt he'd make any changes if progress is being made. Much like the Sabres, I don't think money will be an issue, he'll allow them the room they need to maneuver.

Aside from giving people the tools they need to do their job, he can't win the games himself. The players and coaches need to do their part.

The only real mistake Pegula has made so far with the Sabres is not firing that worthless piece of **** Regier the millisecond he became owner.

By all accounts Pegula does not have the same passion for football that he has for hockey. Which means he would not "meddle" if that's what you are worried about. He does, however, have a passion to revive Buffalo and I have no doubt he would do whatever it takes to make both the Bills and Sabres relevant again. In my opinion, the Sabres have taken a big step this offseason. Pegula, in my opinion, would be the best owner out of all the names I have seen floated so far.

I don't think you've really been paying attention if you think "what's happened with the Sabres" is a reason for concern. While Pegula made an error (in hindsight) by initially keeping Regier as GM, everything else he has done since buying the Sabres is with the goal of creating an organization with sustainable excellence. Folks don't realize the shape the team was in when he bought it.

Seriously, FTL, how would you know who is a top flight GM/coach? If you look at the Sabres and see a Dan Snyder situation then I don't know what you are looking at other than the standings.

The only real mistake Pegula has made so far with the Sabres is not firing that worthless piece of **** Regier the millisecond he became owner.

By all accounts Pegula does not have the same passion for football that he has for hockey. Which means he would not "meddle" if that's what you are worried about. He does, however, have a passion to revive Buffalo and I have no doubt he would do whatever it takes to make both the Bills and Sabres relevant again. In my opinion, the Sabres have taken a big step this offseason. Pegula, in my opinion, would be the best owner out of all the names I have seen floated so far.

It really isn't close. The only name I'd rather see owning the Bills is my own. El Pegual is the dream owner -- rich as hell, not a meddler, and a fan of BUFFALO.

Not to blow up your theory, but both of these owners hired HCs who had failed in their previous gigs and been fired. So not sure they would have been considered "top HCs" at the time. Edited by YoloinOhio

Whats happened to the Sabres is they have become a team with the brightest future in the NHL.

Fans around the NHL know, how dont you know?

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1705173

The Sabres have the most talent coming up and have 3 1st round picks in 2015 in a draft that is being called one of the greatest ever.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Not to blow up your theory, but both of these owners hired HCs who had failed in their previous gigs and been fired. So not sure they would have been considered "top HCs" at the time.

Not just that, but Kraft hired a guy with 1 winning season out of 5, who had already agreed to coach another team, and--furthermore--paid a first round pick in order to do so. At the time it was quite the laugh-fest around the league.

That was my basic concern, that he would let his passion for the sport rule his judgement. Then after reading some of the responses I'm now much less concerned. Hopefully he wins the bid.

Not to blow up your theory, but both of these owners hired HCs who had failed in their previous gigs and been fired. So not sure they would have been considered "top HCs" at the time.

The point being was that those two owners will eventually find the right men to run their teams, and then stand back and let them do so.

Im actually a Sabres fan first, Bills second.

I have zero concern as Pegula as an owner. I feel completely confident his #1 desire is to win. He wants to be involved to some degree, but I feel like he just likes to be in the war-room and help out trying to recruit FA. I doubt he is interjecting strong opinions and obstructing his staff.

The Sabres are going to get there. I have little doubt. Once they do, I think we could be primed for a Detroit-like multiple decades of contending string. A lot of it is due to Pegula's acceptance of short term losses and stripping the team, in exchange for a bright tomorrow. Also enhancing the player facilities, training, development, scouting dept, etc is going to go a loooong way.

If anything, he came onto the scene a bit timid and kept people in place, which delayed the rebuild we needed for a few years.

Same with the Bills, Pegula will get there. Might not be the same path, especially if they improve this year and Whaley is given some time, but resources will be provided for a GM to sink or swim.

The point being was that those two owners will eventually find the right men to run their teams, and then stand back and let them do so.

Oh, of course they will! Just give them time. :rolleyes: In the meantime we have to clean house after one season. :doh:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That Buffalo Rumblings link works for me. Actually it makes lots of sense. Like hiring a buyer's agent when shopping for a home. Someone to help you navigate the process and represent your interests. From all I've read this Greenberg fellow is a heavy hitter. His association with Pegula adds gravitas.

The bottom link worked for me, too. The middle link was dead, and the top link was about medical marijuana. Whatchoo smoking', Promo?

I've seen tweets about not wanting Pegula because of the Sabres situation. (Of course, they are outnumbered 100 to 1). "He doesn't understand hockey."

Everybody always wants an owner who is willing to spend, and gets out of the way of hockey or football decisions...........We have the perfect one, and yet people give him crap. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I've seen tweets about not wanting Pegula because of the Sabres situation. (Of course, they are outnumbered 100 to 1). "He doesn't understand hockey."

Everybody always wants an owner who is willing to spend, and gets out of the way of hockey or football decisions...........We have the perfect one, and yet people give him crap. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Agree its incredible the stupidity.......

Everybody always wants an owner who is willing to spend, and gets out of the way of hockey or football decisions...........We have the perfect one, and yet people give him crap.

He got crap because he didn't clean house when he bought the Sabres. Everybody but him realized Darcy was a problem. He finally wised up and so far Murrey looks like a good choice. Hopefully Pegula has learned his lesson and won't stand pay if or when the Bills need a management change should he become owner.

Darcy wasn't much of a problem when he built the Sabres into a President's Cup winning team. Like Murray said, he inherited a good foundation here, so I think we can give Darcy some credit. Did he hang around too long watch his core grow stale and reach it's ceiling? Yes, no question. But I don't necessarily hate Pegula for giving him the chance to build it once again.

But Murray is on the right track so it's all good.

Darcy wasn't much of a problem when he built the Sabres into a President's Cup winning team. Like Murray said, he inherited a good foundation here, so I think we can give Darcy some credit. Did he hang around too long watch his core grow stale and reach it's ceiling? Yes, no question. But I don't necessarily hate Pegula for giving him the chance to build it once again.

But Murray is on the right track so it's all good.

Biggest problem with Darcy was that he drafted players that didn't fit what Lindy wanted to do on the ice...that, and his unbelievable choice to keep Rolston as his head coach.

The team was a mess as Pegula took over and we were overdue for a change then. We had a laundry list of poor decisions that put the team amongst the worst in the NHL. People were getting very sick of and vocal of management... Pegula was about to buy the team and they got red hot and made the playoffs... only to choke in games 6 and 7... but it bought a little time.

Ruff should have been canned by Darcy at some point. His message was stale and they needed to change that up. That was also a reason they couldnt land any real free agent fish out there. I truly believe star players on some level enjoy the power they have in that things go south, they can "tune out" a coach, the coach will get canned. When the coach is a hard ass and is an immovable object, its not a great destination for players. I also think the change was good for Ruff, as he even admits he changed some with his new position in Dallas. Seemed more set in his ways in Buffalo.

Then the whole Rolston "hire" and re-hire was as transparent as can be... Darcy wanted a clone who wouldnt question his decisions or methods. No interview process at all was conducted...

Worst of all, for this rebuild, Darcy was planning on casting the prospects into the NHL to get their teeth kicked in night after night, half the time in front of a belligerent home crowd who hates the team. One game I couldnt believe Zadorov was out there getting abused by Getzlaf for a hat trick. It was an unfair mismatch and no way he develops like that... The rebuild was going to be undermined.

Anyways, Regier is not clueless, isnt a stooge. Does some aspects VERY well, and Assistant GM he should be a big asset to Phoenix/Arizona. Overall he is very good at drafting, and I appreciated how he would get the upper hand in most trades. Probably the best 4 year span of my life - 98-01 (Hasek with huge credit though)... and 05-07 were good. Overall the organization was long overdue for a change in eyes. Regier seemed to be stanchly behind his guys that he acquired or drafted to the point of fault...

Edited by May Day 10

Wasn't keeping regier around 2.5 years too long valid to point out the "downfall" of the sabres under pegula?

Very relevant imo because he may be in a similar situation with the bills if he is selected as the winning bidder.

I think it also shows an owner who learned a lesson and adapted/changed course which is a good sign imo

Wasn't keeping regier around 2.5 years too long valid to point out the "downfall" of the sabres under pegula?

Very relevant imo because he may be in a similar situation with the bills if he is selected as the winning bidder.

I think it also shows an owner who learned a lesson and adapted/changed course which is a good sign imo

He gave Regier a chance to continue what he had already started and it failed. Kind of like the saying, give someone enough rope to hang themselves with.

Ruff got a raw deal because of regier but don't think he would have lasted anyways.

Edited by The Wiz