Kiko Alonso tears ACL, then runs a marathon on way to get treatment.

boyst

Kiko wouldn't of won us any games this year anyway. The season will come down to how EJ plays.

The question actually may not be whether Kiko would win games for us (you are probably right he wouldn't win any on his lonsome. The question more likely is whether a lesser player like Bradham lose for us?

It would be stupid to simply give up after losing one guy but this ain't good.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at his stats again, he should have been rookie of year. Played the demanding mic position, played every down, 3rd in tackles in the league, 2 sacks, 4 INTs, defense made a huge jump up in ranks.

did you mean the 'mike' (linebacker) position instead of the "mic" positon? or is "mic" some football lingo i haven't heard that refers to the defensive player who wears the headset?

if so, the "demanding mic position" that you're talking about is the most stat-friendly position on defense . in fact, their inflated stats have helped middle linebackers to win rookie of the year 43% of years since 2000 (in spite of the fact that they make up only 1/11 = 9% of defensive rookie starters eligible).

did you mean the 'mike' (linebacker) position instead of the "mic" positon? or is "mic" some football lingo i haven't heard that refers to the defensive player who wears the headset?

if so, the "demanding mic position" that you're talking about is the most stat-friendly position on defense . in fact, their inflated stats have helped middle linebackers to win rookie of the year 43% of years since 2000 (in spite of the fact that they make up only 1/11 = 9% of defensive rookie starters eligible).

yeah because it's one of the very most demanding positions out there. your analysis of weighting them equally means that the QB position @ "only 1/11 = 9%" of offensive players, is of no greater value than any other offensive position like fullback, TE or left guard

You had hope?

Serious mistake. Expressing a different opinion from the acceptable norm. Why did you do it? You wanted to get banned? Well, did you?

What. The hell. Are you talking about?

Lighten up, Francis.

The question actually may not be whether Kiko would win games for us (you are probably right he wouldn't win any on his lonsome. The question more likely is whether a lesser player like Bradham lose for us?

It would be stupid to simply give up after losing one guy but this ain't good.

Well said.

What. The hell. Are you talking about?

Lighten up, Francis.

Omg. You really need to read my post again as if it was a joke... Like really re-read it. Omg.

Lighten up? I'm not even mad. See I have zero hope for this team. This accident sucks of course, but it has affected me zero. Since I'm already used to the ugly.

Ps. Omg again. Why would you get banned for just politely expressing a different opinion? Omg omg omg. Gosh.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Omg. You really need to read my post again as if it was a joke... Like really re-read it. Omg.

Lighten up? I'm not even mad. See I have zero hope for this team. This accident sucks of course, but it has affected me zero. Since I'm already used to the ugly.

Ps. Omg again. Why would you get banned for just politely expressing a different opinion? Omg omg omg. Gosh.

lol.Zero hope? Did you just say that ?

Well whats the issue then ?

Why are you on my back, man? I don't know what the hell I did that was so offensive - OR to warrant this kind of e-abuse. And why do you want me to get banned???

I mean I really have no hope for the team either, I think it's a fair comment. Still love the team and enjoy all the things a normal fan does, but I don't confuse a good time with hope for success.

Torn acl`s in each knee spells trouble no matter what kinda super hero you are damn. Sorry to say ,I think this will make a short career. It`s Buffalo.

It's not 1982 anymore. ACL repairs are better than ever and stronger than ever. This is a bump in the road, not the end of it.

It's not 1982 anymore. ACL repairs are better than ever and stronger than ever. This is a bump in the road, not the end of it.

Still, it is a tough rehab. But I think Kiko's got the stones to carry it through.

Still cant face the facts GreggyT ?

bills will never become much of anything . It just cant be done .

Been proven over and over and over again.

we get enthusiastic and it rains pee on Buffalo fans .

But honestly

I will go blindly on thinking we can get our shet together " this year " again.

And i will believe it till the season ends .

Still, it is a tough rehab. But I think Kiko's got the stones to carry it through.

I imagine it's very tough, but it has to help that he's been through it before. He knows what to expect, he knows what needs to be done. More importantly he knows that if he does it, his knee will heal and he can play at a high level. Being able to alleviate that doubt has to help the mental aspects of the recovery.

I hope Mr.T . I loved the play and heart of Kiko,but I don`t see him having a long healthy career. Yeah they have come along way since I tore mine 20yrs ago. I just don`t think they found anything drastically different. Mine tore again, along with my MCL in the other knee. At 55 I`m leaving them like that.

I imagine it's very tough, but it has to help that he's been through it before. He knows what to expect, he knows what needs to be done. More importantly he knows that if he does it, his knee will heal and he can play at a high level. Being able to alleviate that doubt has to help the mental aspects of the recovery.

I've had two ACL replacements. One in '99, and one in '09. Painful. But, assuming there isn't any other significant damage, it's around nine months to a year to get back to about 99%. NOT career ending by any means. And, if he stays to his rehab regimen (I'm sure he will), there's no reason to believe he won't be back to form.

Scwartz defense are designed to roll everything to the weak side. In that sense, Kiko was the most important player on defense. Can they really expect the rookie Preston Brown, who was drafted as an inside LB, to fill Kiko's shoes? i think it will be hard for Scwartz to adjust his defensive philosophy

Scwartz defense are designed to roll everything to the weak side. In that sense, Kiko was the most important player on defense. Can they really expect the rookie Preston Brown, who was drafted as an inside LB, to fill Kiko's shoes? i think it will be hard for Scwartz to adjust his defensive philosophy

The Bills have not said Brown is replacing him. It was a speculative article based on how he looked in OTAs. He was drafted as a LB. He has played SAM, WLB and MLB. His ideal position is MLB. Schwartz doesn't need to change anything about his philosophy. Bradham is likely to take his place in most packages unless Brown is an animal in TC. IMO. The issue isn't the scheme it is the fact that the player behind Kiko just isn't as good. At least that we know of. Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills have not said Brown is replacing him. It was a speculative article based on how he looked in OTAs. He was drafted as a LB. He has played SAM, WLB and MLB. His ideal position is MLB. Schwartz doesn't need to change anything about his philosophy. Bradham is likely to take his place in most packages unless Brown is an animal in TC. IMO. The issue isn't the scheme it is the fact that the player behind Kiko just isn't as good. At least that we know of.

Exactly.

Bradham seems the most likely player to replace Alonso, and that would be quite a drop off, unless Bradham can play on a more consistent level. As for Brown, we don't know how he's going to turnout.

The uncertainty is the big concern.

I don't know. Before Kiko got hurt, Bradham was 50/50 to even make the team. I'd be surprised if he turns into a quality starter.

GO BILLS!!!

true, but some were surprised Kiko turned into a quality starter. I know a GM who passed on him for a different LB in that draft and when I asked about him it wasn't his off the field stuff he was worried about. He said he didn't know where he would play. 4.78 40 time but not enough size for MLB in most schemes. Turns out he could play anywhere in any situation because he never came off the field although you could see him exposed sometimes. His best quality might be his instinct, fim study and motor which aren't really measured. This was his bottom line on one scouting report:

Off-field problems and injuries kept Alonso from making his expected impact until into his junior season, but once he got past those two alcohol-related incidents and a torn right ACL, opponents began feeling his presence. Alonso is a bit of a linear athlete, but he still remains an explosive one. He could potentially fit into many different roles at the next level. Will fit best into an aggressive scheme as an OLB. If not a future starter, he should be capable of becoming a nickel 'backer that has special teams value.

Far cry from starting at MLB and playing 100% of snaps, let alone his sick stats. I think he is a big loss because he played every snap and is one of few LBs who can excel in coverage. But the silver lining is that our DL is good enough to make LBs look good, and LB is the easiest position on D for a rookie to come I and be successful right away so I would not be surprised to see Brown get a good look there as has been mentioned. I know Rivers is supposed to be a sideline to sideline guy too but has been inconsistent in coverage. I don't know what scheme he was in though to dig deeper into what the issue may have been.

Edited by YoloinOhio

true, but some were surprised Kiko turned into a quality starter. I know a GM who passed on him for a different LB in that draft and when I asked about him it wasn't his off the field stuff he was worried about. He said he didn't know where he would play. 4.78 40 time but not enough size for MLB in most schemes. Turns out he could play anywhere in any situation because he never came off the field although you could see him exposed sometimes. His best quality might be his instinct, fim study and motor which aren't really measured. This was his bottom line on one scouting report:

Off-field problems and injuries kept Alonso from making his expected impact until into his junior season, but once he got past those two alcohol-related incidents and a torn right ACL, opponents began feeling his presence. Alonso is a bit of a linear athlete, but he still remains an explosive one. He could potentially fit into many different roles at the next level. Will fit best into an aggressive scheme as an OLB. If not a future starter, he should be capable of becoming a nickel 'backer that has special teams value.

Kiko scared teams away because he didn't really blow anyone away physically. But his football acumen was off the charts. Like many have said, scouts went to look at Jordan but came away talking about Alonso. He impressed the Bills immensely with his command of the Xs and Os during the interview process at and after the combine. For Pettine to entrust him with calling the D signals attests to that.

Bradham on the other hand, seems to have far less a grasp of the game, even after a couple years in the league. While a physical specimen, his over-aggressiveness and lack of awareness has left him exposed on the field. He just doesn't play a controlled, disciplined game. Much unlike Kiko.

I'll hope for the best from him, but I'm not expecting much.

GO BILLS!!!

Kiko scared teams away because he didn't really blow anyone away physically. But his football acumen was off the charts. Like many have said, scouts went to look at Jordan but came away talking about Alonso. He impressed the Bills immensely with his command of the Xs and Os during the interview process at and after the combine. For Pettine to entrust him with calling the D signals attests to that.

Bradham on the other hand, seems to have far less a grasp of the game, even after a couple years in the league. While a physical specimen, his over-aggressiveness and lack of awareness has left him exposed on the field. He just doesn't play a controlled, disciplined game. Much unlike Kiko.

I'll hope for the best from him, but I'm not expecting much.

GO BILLS!!!

Bradhams weaknesses were Kikos strengths. But you can't teach speed and athleticism so if bradham gets the right coaching he could certainly improve in those areas where Kiko excelled. Some if it needs to come from within though, we will see if he really wants it. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't know. Before Kiko got hurt, Bradham was 50/50 to even make the team. I'd be surprised if he turns into a quality starter.

GO BILLS!!!

In whose mind? The coaches? I seriously doubt it. LB was still one of the weaker units on the team and I think that the chances were overwhelmingly in favor of Bradham making the team. Personally I wouldn't have been surprised if he wasn't the 3rd amigo to Spikes and Alonso.