Sunday Ticket - Share Your Strategy Time...

Griz

You guys must talk to the wrong people. Gotta talk with customer retention.

These guys have certain dollars they can basically give you in discounts every 3- 6 months.

I don't even threaten to cancel anymore-- just ask what they can do for me?

DTV is a terrific company to work with.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday, and by the time I was done I had talked to five different people. To keep me as a customer, they gave me Sunday Ticket last year for free, so they claimed they could not do that again. It worked out well for me as I wound up getting discounts that exceed the cost of Sunday Tix by about $130, in exchange for signing up for another year commitment... which I would have done anyway.

Suggestions;

- Be patient and leave yourself an hour

- Don't take the first offer

- Be polite and respectful

In the end, they want to keep your business and they DO offer generous discounts for loyal customers with a good payment history. You just have to ask.

Good Luck!

You guys must talk to the wrong people. Gotta talk with customer retention.

These guys have certain dollars they can basically give you in discounts every 3- 6 months.

I don't even threaten to cancel anymore-- just ask what they can do for me?

DTV is a terrific company to work with.

This about sums it up. Getting on the line with customer retention is about 75% of the work. It's hard to get past the first line of defense when on the phone. Once you get customer retention, they pretty much give you what you want for very little in return (renewing your contract for another 2 years).

What has worked for me in the past is call them up and ask for something simple (account balance, payment due date, etc.) then call back and say you were on with customer retention and were disconnected. Only reason for the first call is they track when you had lasted called and for what. It's worked for me about 60% of the time to get straight to them.

Edited by The Wiz

I called last August after moving, and told customer retention I wanted to return my equipment as I was going to switch to Dish. I had like 2 months left on my contract. They promptly upgraded all of my equipment, gave me ST for free, and threw in all sorts of discounts and movie channels for free.

Do I really have a leg to stand on a year later? I'm thinking I just bite the bullet and pay full price for ST this year, and then call and threaten cancellation next year.

Same here, have had direct tv since Sunday ticket existed. I would have to fight with them on occasion and would even offer to do a one year commitment but in the past they said they could not do that.

Anyway I moved last year and got all kinds of stuff free , discounts, new whole house package and a 2 year contract. Wondering if I will be able to get it for free this year.

I do the Slingbox routine, my sister and brother in law hooked it up to their tv and computer near Rochester, I watch it on my tablet...I heard that Google chromecast is suppose to support slingbox soon, I really hope its true, watching it on my tablet is fine, but would be better on a real tv...the computer version isn't as clear as the tablet...the Google chromecast's netflix is better than tablet's...so I'm hopeful for Chromecast.

The slingbox cost all of $100, got it 2 years ago so its been worth it.

Edited by frogger

Well i just moved. Been with DTV since 2011. WHen i called and told them i was moving i got the movers deal. They gave me Free upgrades to genie in 3 rooms. and i got nfl sunday ticket this year for FREE. A long with hbo and cinemax. I only get the free movie channels so i can watch hardknocks and my girl can watch Trueblood. After those 2 shows are over i cancel.

I recommend keeping an eye on this thread to see what kind of deals people are getting: http://www.dbstalk.c...ffers-for-2014/

Thanks for the info.

I recently got the Genie, and a 2-year extension, so I fear I may have less leverage this year.

But I will call them (likely in August) and try to swing a deal.

I have gotten ST free a couple times and some other deals. I have been with DTV for about 16 years, so that may help.

But definitely ask for the customer retention dept.

i'd be interested in everyone's strategy for getting the misses to be ok with you getting NFL Sunday Ticket and watching football ALL DAY. mine has a hard enough time with me sitting on my butt for 3 hours for the Bills games. I think if I were to get all of the games she would be out the door. to her it's a waste of a day to sit in front of the tv and her favorite quote is "i'm not going to live my life around the football schedule." she plays dirty too. if i'm watching football then she's usually at the mall spending $. makes me not want to watch football lol

This one is easy for me, as I always get Sunday ticket max or what used to be called the super fan pack. That package entails getting every single game played on Sunday rebroadcast on Monday, Tuesday nights after midnight in half hour segments called shortcuts. Where the entire three hour game is reduced to a commercial free, and announcer BS free 1/2 hour game that just simply shows every snap, every play. This allows me to TiVo record every game I want to watch, and then it allows me to watch the games i want over the course of the week.

P.S. I used to have your exact same problem with my wife, and watching games on Sunday until I purchased Buffalo Bills season tickets for the entire family and made it a family event to tailgate on Sundays. It also helped that this occurred during the late 80's, early 90's, and held those same seats from 1988 until 1994. Now my wife, and children are all dedicated Bills fans, and wouldn't miss a game.

They likely will give you the Genies, but start up a new two year contract at the same time. So get all the discounts you want as once you sign up, then they have you at their advantage.

Very true as this has happened many times. The thing is I have never paid full price, and have gotten it free for many years long with new contracts. Like has been stated previously, all you need do is be firm in letting them know you will not be happy unless given extra discounts. It also helps to be a long time customer.

Take last year for example as they were very firm in not giving the Sunday ticket for free or even discounted. Eventually they ended up cutting other programming which we never watch, while getting the full package and keeping the monthly bill exactly the same as the rest of the year.

My wife and I have a standing agreement for seventeen weekends in the fall: Saturday I'm yours to do whatever, and Sunday you're more than welcome to join me on the couch for football -- but bring beer.

Oh, and there are those damned club seats I just bought so when she comes with me to Buffalo she can have her whine. :)

Fixed

Never worked for me. I told them I would cancel my account and they called my bluff. So I cancelled my cancel.

This is happened to me many times and actually has become part of my strategy. I call them and tell them I've been a DirecTV customer for many years and I'm unhappy every time I see your commercials for the new customers getting this free. I proceed to tell them that you can cancel or give me the Sunday ticket for free. when they say they can't do it I say go ahead and cancel. while they are canceling I hang up the phone call back a few seconds later and tell them I was in the middle of canceling my accounts and I got disconnected I just want to check and make sure everything went through. The next person ALWAYS wants to be the hero that keeps you, and have never had the second person NOT give it to me for free. Worst case scenario repeat the process over again, but like I've said, this has always worked for me.

i'd be interested in everyone's strategy for getting the misses to be ok with you getting NFL Sunday Ticket and watching football ALL DAY. mine has a hard enough time with me sitting on my butt for 3 hours for the Bills games. I think if I were to get all of the games she would be out the door. to her it's a waste of a day to sit in front of the tv and her favorite quote is "i'm not going to live my life around the football schedule." she plays dirty too. if i'm watching football then she's usually at the mall spending $. makes me not want to watch football lol

You should of probably thought about this before you got married. See the trick is to lay down the law before your married when you are dating. I walked out one time on my wife at a wedding when we were dating where she was the maid of honor to go home & watch Game 4 of the Braves/Mets NLCS. She thought I was kidding when I told her before that I was going to do it until I got up & did it. Sure she didn't talk to me for 3 weeks after that & it almost cost me our relationship but it was worth it in the end as that day was the day there was a line drawn in the sand & from that day on my wife knew how important sporting events are to me.

Well friends, it's that magical time of year when we haggle with Directv over our reduced, or free, subscriptions to Sunday Ticket. Please share any recent successes or failures.

I actually just did this last week... Free since 2010!

I speak with he first person to see if there is anything they can do, there never is...

I ask to speak to cancelation... I never threaten to cancel, but explain that the only reason I have Directv is for the Sunday ticket, and that I can pay less for tv service through several other companies.

If that doesn't work, I explain my frustration in seeing brand new customers get free ticket along with reduced monthly cost of service...

That's usually the one that gets it done....

This time they put the Sunday ticket on my bill at the $200+ price and the. Have me a credit for the same amount- I didn't care, still free to me!!

I did learn there are more "levels" of their customer service that I thought....

Regular customer service

The NFL Sunday ticket has a department

Cancelation dept

And then there is a customer retention dept...

The last is the one that was able to help me...

Here is my question - will they give you the ticket for free if they've discounted your monthly payment? I spent an hour on the phone with them and got them down to $76 per month (full package with movies) recently. Not sure if I can keep going to the well

Hey "Dirtbag" Buffalo Brothers suck! I had high hopes..the only one I have been to is the one on lake boone..If I want good pizza I go to amadeos over by NC State..its the closest type of pizza to Buffalo Pizza.

Here is my question - will they give you the ticket for free if they've discounted your monthly payment? I spent an hour on the phone with them and got them down to $76 per month (full package with movies) recently. Not sure if I can keep going to the well

I would give it a shot. I have been turned down a few times because I maxed out on credits, but you never know. I think they can only give you so many credits every x months.

Hey "Dirtbag" Buffalo Brothers suck! I had high hopes..the only one I have been to is the one on lake boone..If I want good pizza I go to amadeos over by NC State..its the closest type of pizza to Buffalo Pizza.

So, offering buffalo brothers pizza to my directv rep isn't a good idea if I want to get my free Sunday ticket?

• 2 weeks later...

I called last August after moving, and told customer retention I wanted to return my equipment as I was going to switch to Dish. I had like 2 months left on my contract. They promptly upgraded all of my equipment, gave me ST for free, and threw in all sorts of discounts and movie channels for free.

Do I really have a leg to stand on a year later? I'm thinking I just bite the bullet and pay full price for ST this year, and then call and threaten cancellation next year.

What, dont bite a bullet. Bite on other things.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER PAY FULL PRICE.

I have been with Direct for 4 years under wife account. Another 4 or so under my name. Have NEVER EVER PAID FULL PRICE in these 8-9 years and have always had the ticket.

The most I have ever paid is $100. That's the most. I'll reveal some secrets later. Very busy right now.

They will try to make a point of bringing it up that they helped you out with that I'm sure but they are always flexible. It never hurts to try. The most I've ever been asked is to renew for another 2 years.

My daughter ordered a movie once by accident and the 1st rep gave me some fuss about it. After talking to a manager they refunded the movie and gave me a credit for a free movie since I had to talk to a manager about something so simple as a refund.

* update* Direct TV has a new hook as of right now.

If you don't have a genie box, and want to upgrade. They will give long term subscribers the Genie for free, providing of course that you sign a new 2 year contract, and then will put the screws to you for the NFL Sunday ticket come September.

Being a bit progressive what we are doing is accepting the Genie now for free, and spoke with a supervisor about the upcoming Sunday ticket. Talked with them and they will give us this years Sunday Ticket MAX for an additional 20.00 a month, which figures out at 120.00 total for the package. That package is normally 55.00, or 330.00 total. So, it works for me.

Overpay for the digital only version I guess since there's (apparently) no Madden deal this year.

Anyone know where the link to the digital page is? DTV always seems to bury it...

I'm under contract for another year but fired the first shot a minute ago and cancelled auto renewal. First offer was 5 bucks off for 6 months, then 8 bucks off for 6 months and declined both. That was just the first contact and didn't escalate as I'll wait a while now and see what peeps are getting and then go to retention.

* update* Direct TV has a new hook as of right now.

If you don't have a genie box, and want to upgrade. They will give long term subscribers the Genie for free, providing of course that you sign a new 2 year contract, and then will put the screws to you for the NFL Sunday ticket come September.

Being a bit progressive what we are doing is accepting the Genie now for free, and spoke with a supervisor about the upcoming Sunday ticket. Talked with them and they will give us this years Sunday Ticket MAX for an additional 20.00 a month, which figures out at 120.00 total for the package. That package is normally 55.00, or 330.00 total. So, it works for me.

They were doing that last year as well.

I have had the Sunday Ticket since the middle of the 1996 season. Which I am sure is as long as anyone on this message board. It is great to have. And the Red Zone Channel is awesome to watch when the Bills are not playing. Every year when I get my first Sunday ticket payment, I make one phone call and ask for a discount. They will cut the bill by $60.00 divided over the six payments of the Ticket. The cost really isn't that high in the grand scheme of all the other payments I have to make to support my three kids, two pseudo step kids, ex wife and girlfriend. So I make one phone call and, that's it. But I always feel good even getting the small discount. I guess its the principal of it, vs the actual savings. The season starts in 64 days. Now that is something to really get EXCITED about.

I have had the Sunday Ticket since the middle of the 1996 season. Which I am sure is as long as anyone on this message board. It is great to have. And the Red Zone Channel is awesome to watch when the Bills are not playing. Every year when I get my first Sunday ticket payment, I make one phone call and ask for a discount. They will cut the bill by $60.00 divided over the six payments of the Ticket. The cost really isn't that high in the grand scheme of all the other payments I have to make to support my three kids, two pseudo step kids, ex wife and girlfriend. So I make one phone call and, that's it. But I always feel good even getting the small discount. I guess its the principal of it, vs the actual savings. The season starts in 64 days. Now that is something to really get EXCITED about.

That's not a good deal. My reminder said 6 payments of 40. 240.

So you are paying 240-60=180? If you are, that's not a good deal.

You would feel better if you had it free.

The way I'm going to get it free this year is as follows:

First let me bore you to death. I open my junk mail this thursday 7/3/2014. In it was an offer from Time Warner. Get a dell laptop/tablet multi machine if you add tv to your existing internet. (Ps. Oddly enough I got that same offer from Time warner saturday 7/5, but this time it said for new customers; That tells me the tablet is available to new and existing customers) Anyway, so I'm having dinner with my wife and I'm telling her how I was going to get the ticket for free. I explained to her how to get it done. I told her, "So now that you know honey, you do it honey" She said, "While it sounds very easy, and I can do it, go ahead and knock yourself out, you do it for us honey".

Bored yet? I can tell you what I ate if you really want to know. Or that I saw Earth to Echo. Jk.

All this boring info just to tell you that I will simply call and ask for CANCEL dept.

I will simply tell them that I want to Cancel effective one week from now (to give me time to set up my "wannabe time warner fake cable account") DONT TELL THEM THE TIME WARNER IS A FAKE WANNABE CABLE ACCOUNT. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

They will reply with "why do you want to cancel?"

Here is the winning phrase. They are offering me a dell laptop/tablet that I want. Plus the service with them is cheaper. Thanks for the service. You know what, can you try to work something out with me before I make the cancel official?

They will eventually offer me stuff. Dont know what it will be.

I will eventually tell them all I really want is the ticket for free.AGAIN.

They will simply say ok done.

I will simply update a post with "I got it free guys AGAIN and probably throw in a joke or too"

Then one of you guys will call me a showoff.

Then one of you guys will thank me.

Then I will have dinner with my wife.

Capish?

got ya beat have had Sunday ticket since 1995! I just call into retention and ask nicely what they can do for me. Usually BS with the rep and eventually get it about 1/2 off since I tell them hey I ain't looking for you to give it away for free. They than add in discounts for 6-12 months that ends up with ST max for free

See I want the Genie, Sunday ticket doesn't matter as much to me since I have season tickets, but I tried calling 3 times yesterday and was on hold 15 minutes each time. maybe I'll try and call back today.

See above update from fear the losing. Your call is the easiest. "Give me the genie and you have a customer for 2 more years. And throw in the ticket"

Ps. I have never waited more than 5 minutes. Weird about 15 minutes hold time 3 times.

got ya beat have had Sunday ticket since 1995! I just call into retention and ask nicely what they can do for me. Usually BS with the rep and eventually get it about 1/2 off since I tell them hey I ain't looking for you to give it away for free. They than add in discounts for 6-12 months that ends up with ST max for free

Everybody has him beat. $60 bucks off is like paying full price imo.

Never say the bolded part. You should want it free. The only time I paid in almost 10 years (paid $100 for it) THE REP told me, "I cant give it to you free this year" That year I was flexible.

See above update from fear the losing. Your call is the easiest. "Give me the genie and you have a customer for 2 more years. And throw in the ticket"

Ps. I have never waited more than 5 minutes. Weird about 15 minutes hold time 3 times.

True, and I've been a customer for like 3 years now and never asked for anything so I should have some negotiating room there too, and it was a monday and they had the automated voice saying monday is their busiest day etc so it wasn't a huge deal

Just so everyone knows the "starting point" here are the 2014 prices from their website:

ST "Max" -- which includes Red Zone, Fantasy Zone, mobile app, and Short Cuts -- $330

ST "Regular" -- all games in HD -- $240

Going to try and make my call tonight. Good luck bargain shoppers!

I just got Sunday Ticket Max for free. This is because I am a new customer of DirecTV though. I just wanted to share my excitement. I've never been able to watch the Bills live on Sunday at my house unless they played the Clowns or Bungles. I am freakishly superstitious, so in my mind this means that they will make the playoffs because I am doing something different to change the mojo. You're welcome.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just got Sunday Ticket Max for free. This is because I am a new customer of DirecTV though. I just wanted to share my excitement. I've never been able to watch the Bills live on Sunday at my house unless they played the Clowns or Bungles. I am freakishly superstitious, so in my mind this means that they will make the playoffs because I am doing something different to change the mojo. You're welcome.

Welcome to the club, brother.

As someone who toiled in sports bars for about 10 years, I can say without a doubt that there is nothing better than Sunday Ticket.

As someone who toiled in sports bars for about 10 years, I can say without a doubt that there is nothing better than Sunday Ticket.

I honestly feel like a new person. Now I just wish the season would start!!

I have had the Sunday Ticket since the middle of the 1996 season.

got ya beat bro...sad to say i got DTV about 1 month after they opened for business in 94, with the Ticket being the main driver.

Paid $1200 for the dish, $300 to get it installed, no local channels, 8 bit box that took 3 seconds to change stations...and loved every minute of it!

I can also remember being pissed when i tuned into Empire to watch the first Sabres game(i lived DC at the time) ...and it was not on! Figured i found a loop hole by ordering the sports package and i would not need the Center Ice...haha

Edited by plenzmd1

Agree and the Red Zone is the best channel ever invented