No QB

mannc

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

No surprise, OBD will sink or swim with EJ as we've known for quite some time.

No surprise, OBD will sink or swim with EJ as we've known for quite some time.

That was not the point. Once again, it appears that the team will enter the season with an injury-prone starter (with little experience), no quality backup, and no viable developmental prospect on the roster. This is the same mentality that led to drafting TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson.

Not really. They said OBD was 100% behind EJ and they've proved it by not drafting another QB.

And on a personal level, I'm thrilled there won't be 100 idiotic 'why not give Boyd a start' threads.

Not really. They said OBD was 100% behind EJ and they've proved it by not drafting another QB.

And on a personal level, I'm thrilled there won't be 100 idiotic 'why not give Boyd a start' threads.

Fair enough. I would have liked to see them hedge their bets and have a true prospect in the mix as a backup, especially if EJ gets hurt again for any extended period of time. I am not sure that Lewis, Tuel or Dixon is that.

On that note, I think it's quite possible that Dixon kicks Tuel to the curb.

This is the first time I've heard people think EJ sucks and we should draft someone.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster. Edited by mannc

Those were the exact 4 flyers that were available that I thought warranted a look.

Fair enough. I would have liked to see them hedge their bets and have a true prospect in the mix as a backup, especially if EJ gets hurt again for any extended period of time. I am not sure that Lewis, Tuel or Dixon is that.

On that note, I think it's quite possible that Dixon kicks Tuel to the curb.

In all honesty I wouldn't mind that either, but it's pretty hard to have a rookie QB and a 2d year QB and not have potential for a QB controversy, which I'm sure they wanted to avoid at all costs. You've got to give EJ this whole season, with no looking over his shoulder, to see what steps he takes.

I don't like their appearant policy that they don't want to bring in anyone who could threaten EJ for the starting job, whether through free agency or draft. Vick is an example. They're afraid the fans would be calling for him to start if EJ falters. If he can't win the job, then he shouldn't be starting.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster.

The problem is EJ isn't established firmly enough yet, so adding a rookie to the mix isn't beneficial to him at all.

The problem is EJ isn't established firmly enough yet, so adding a rookie to the mix isn't beneficial to him at all.

Maybe not, but it might have been beneficial to the Bills.

I don't like their appearant policy that they don't want to bring in anyone who could threaten EJ for the starting job, whether through free agency or draft. Vick is an example. They're afraid the fans would be calling for him to start if EJ falters. If he can't win the job, then he shouldn't be starting.

With this crowd, that would start if they go 3 and out in the first possession of the Hall of Fame game. I don't blame them one bit for that strategy.

Maybe not, but it might have been beneficial to the Bills.

They invested a first round pick in EJ. What's good for him is good for the Bills. The guy needs more than 12 games before you declare he's fair game to losing the job.

Edited by KD in CT

So that means it was the right decision?

Not right or wrong but not unexpected is my point.

They have 2 backup QBs on the roster who started games for them last season. I could see why they didn't think it was a need.

They are all in on EJ so let's see if that is the correct decision.

I didn't want any QB this year before the 6th round and we didn't have a sixth round pick. A late round rookie QB has less of a threat to EJ than Tuel is right now. I think Tuel stinks, so I want another developmental guy than him, so I wouldn't have minded a 6-7 round pick to be in the mix. Adding a rookie like that isn't beneficial to him at all, but it isn't a threat to him at all either.

Geno Smith arguably showed as much promise as EJ last year (flame away!) and yet the Jets brought in Vick and drafted Boyd.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster.

To answer the question. Naw. Not a lick.

To answer your second point is that Bills seem to think so. So do i . Viable backup and a project or two

Edited by 3rdand12

T o answer the question. Naw. Not a lick.

To answer your second point is that Bills seem to think so. So do i . Viable backup and a project or two

How did that work out last year?

Obviously... the Bills are so enamored with Jeff Tuel that they didn't want him to ever see the practice squad, and they traded for Thad Lewis.

Clearly they must think that they have a solid QB situation.

Now that they added some O line help we all need to wait and see how this year turns out. I'm not upset they didn't bring in another QB.

That was not the point. Once again, it appears that the team will enter the season with an injury-prone starter (with little experience), no quality backup, and no viable developmental prospect on the roster. This is the same mentality that led to drafting TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson.

Agree. Any of the QB prospects have equal or better chance than the scrubs they are picking in Rd 6 and 7. Murray would have been perfect. He is a gamer and a winner. He knows how to win.

We have 4 QBs. How many do you want?

One that is good. Having four QBs in camp is useless if they are not NFL caliber. But you knew that.

Bills had an awesome offseason, but as almost everyone else said, it all hinges on EJ, and if he doesn't pan out, the Bills have an empty tank behind him. Unless you have super confidence that Lewis or Dixon will shine if pressed into action. And that's why the Watkins trade is a very high gamble on EJ. If he doesn't progress, this team is set back until 2016.

We won some games, lost others. What were you expecting?

A merely competent (i.e.,Fitz-level) backup would have resulted in at least three more wins last year. That's what I was expecting.

One that is good. Having four QBs in camp is useless if they are not NFL caliber. But you knew that.

Bills had an awesome offseason, but as almost everyone else said, it all hinges on EJ, and if he doesn't pan out, the Bills have an empty tank behind him. Unless you have super confidence that Lewis or Dixon will shine if pressed into action. And that's why the Watkins trade is a very high gamble on EJ. If he doesn't progress, this team is set back until 2016.

I doubt Whaley would roll the dice on Watkins if he didn't think EJ wasn't going be able to get him the ball. You just have to hope Whaley knows more.

We all want good ones. Who exactly do you want? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Who exactly is a capable back up if you were picking?

How about a fifth round pick on Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron or Boyd?

Disappointed, but not surprised.

This decision to go all cards in has a 50 percent chance of screwing us. You have your choice between a potential elite QB to at least serve as a backup, and potentially as competition, and we go for depth. Seems screwy.

What the backup QB position is missing is not additional youth. It is missing experience. FA is alive and well, and how soon we forget, there will be NFL QBs available as cuts begin throughout the offseason leading into camp. The Bills are clearly committed to EJ for at least this season and the next. If at that time they feel they need to try again, they will have their first round pick back. Judging by Whaley's willingness to trade up, they will get their man one way or the other in 2016 if EJ flops. Like it or not, this appears to be the plan. It is what it is. :beer: