WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few hours have set in and I am not saying anything no one else has but I have to say it, because damn it, I have an opinion and this is the internet.

• This does not make us a better team.
  • We have to wonder who else they want to bring in for WR. I am not comfortable going with pure youth and TJ Graham being the eldest WR on the roster.
  • TJ Graham is going to make the roster
  • This is hardly a surprise, I knew we would get Watkins and I knew we would ditch SJ13.
  • There is no excuse for trading him. He is more valuable then any pick in 2015. Any. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, even if that bird is only a pigeon.

lastly,

• SJ13 is not the Prom Queen, but he is the chick you take to the dance and have a great night with and end with only some under the shirt, from the front no bra boobage. SJ13 has been one of the best WR's in the league in the last 10 years.

I think Mike Williams is the veteran leader of the WR corps now.

Too bad; he was one of the few guys that genuinely loved buffalo and the fans.

I also was looking forward to Williams and Watkins split out, with Stevie in the slot. Oh, well.

Ditto. This has the makings of coach/player friction or management tired of a player and his behavior.

I'm pretty sure Sammy will be leading the wrs within a week of being with the whole team. This team don't need no stinking Mike Williams, 4 years into his career, "leading" our studly young passing options hehe. There's nothing veteran about us, and I like that.

Edited by MoreOffense

I also was looking forward to Williams and Watkins split out, with Stevie in the slot. Oh, well.

same for JP Losman. Players come and go

Exactly, I just don't get this. Watkins excited even more knowing that Stevie and Woods would be out there with him. Now, 3 of our top 4 WR's have a total of 26 NFL games under their belts. I just don't get the reasoning. Once this team approaches the cap limit, I'll start buying the contract excuse.

The Bills are considerably better at the WR position today than they were at the end of last year. I was always a big fan of SJ but there is little doubt he would have been no better than 4th best in the current group. It was a necessary move to clear him out and make room, plus they recovered the 4th they put up for Watkins, and possibly upgrading to a third. Great moves all told. Whaley has made this team much better this offseason and we still have two more days of drafting.

I expect to see Watkins in the slot frequently. And sometimes lined up in the backfield. And on some end arounds and reverses. And of course, WR screens.

Ditto. This has the makings of coach/player friction or management tired of a player and his behavior.

Non Ditto => This has the makings of coach/player friction or management tired of a player and his behavior drops.

Edited by reddogblitz

I still don't like this move at all. If he's such a big hit against our cap no matter what then why not keep him 1 more year? You can never have too many good players. All sign points to something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about

Stevie is a uniquely talented individual. I hope he has great success with the niners.

This was clearly cap related. He was going to be an $8.5 million cap hit over the next three years. Doug clearly has other plans for that money.

Exactly. I wonder how happy everyone will be when the Bills announce an extension for Spiller in a couple months.

Stereotype much?

I liked SJ but I hated the drops.

Ehhh, most stereotypes are grounded in some truth.

Didn't like the drops either, but then again, it's not like he didn't haul in his fair share of "Fitzy Ducks" (trademarked) over the years. I really wish him the best. Niners vs Seahawks just got that much better.

I expect to see Watkins in the slot frequently. And sometimes lined up in the backfield. And on some end arounds and reverses. And of course, WR screens.

Agreed. Although not that often. That was not his idea and he really didn't like it, according to him during an interview this morning on GR. It was very interesting to hear him explain it. He would prefer to split out every play and run regular routes, which he is outstanding at, btw.

When he was a freshman, he ran all the routes and ran downfield all the time and they didn't use him on screens all that much. When he started torching everyone, by the time last year came around, Dabo Sweeney their coach just decided we were going to take a quick 7 yards when they are just going to give it to us. Every team was terrified of Watkins beating them deep so they all played a cover 2 or 3 against him. And Sweeney said to himself, if you guys are just going to give this to us we're going to keep taking it. It somewhat frustrated Watkins, but he wasnt going to complain, and he still put up 14 yards per catch.

Stevie was one of the good guys that have played for the bills, he never had a negative word to say about the team or the city. Regardless of how he chose to say and do things off the field, on the field he gave the bills everything he had for 7 years. Did he make mistakes? Sure he did, but he was a good teammate and embraced the fans whenever he could. I for one am going to miss him in a bills uniform and wish him the best out west.

We can debate Stevie's level of ability as a receiver. We can debate his contributions on the field in general and in the clutch. We can debate the impact of his off field antics. Which ever side of the fence you fall on regarding these issues and others - or whether or not you even like him - he played hard and he played through injuries. Most importantly (to me at least), he loved this town and loved this team. For that alone, it shouldn't be that difficult to set aside whatever opinions you may have of him, show a little class as a Buffalo fan, thank him, and wish him well.

Good luck to you Stevie. Thank you and I sincerely wish you the best

Exactly. I wonder how happy everyone will be when the Bills announce an extension for Spiller in a couple months.

Spiller is probably quite happy. A lot of money that was probably going to Dareus is now on hold for another season and CJ might be the beneficiary. With that said, the money going to Spiller was never going to be that much given the current devaluing of the position.

I don't know if I want Mike Williams a leader.

why do all these posters keep referring to Stevie being in Buffalo for 7 years?

why do several posters keep referring to Johnson being here for 7 years. It's 6 (six).

jw

And, he only saw the field for about 3 1/2 of those with any real consistency. Last year was the half and the first two years were just trying to break out to get on the field.

The Bills regime ONCE AGAIN PROVE they cannot build a ROSTER. They are like a fat 7th grade kid playing madden.

Stupid post, fat 7th graders own Madden. Seriously though, isn't this really just the logical extension of the Mike Williams trade? 6th out and 4th or 3rd in?

Since he was traded for a #4, and we gave away our #4 next year, the Watkins trade just basically became two #1's and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins.

Because of the addition of MWilliams, it made Stevie easily expendable considering his contract. I wish him well.

NO not two #1's. HOw many times does this have to be covered? We swapped this year so that doesn't count. We basically lost our 1st round pick next year. That's it!

If it is moved up to a 3rd, then we made out on that side meaning we lost a 4th and gained a 3rd. Whaley swung for the fences for a high impact player. If Watkins ends up as AJ Green or Julio Jones, it was worth it. When Julio's pick was negotiated before Atlanta started to go on a run, they traded for a lot more.