Howard Simon's Article

In his article he stated that the Bills should still go with receiver/Ebron at 9 and that the Bills don't necessarily have to take an OL there because of the fact that the Bills were able to land a talent like Cordy Glenn in the second rd. I personally believe that they should direct their attention back to the defensive side of the ball at 9. With the off season moves so far, they've addressed many areas of need on their roster. One area the Bills got torched last year was on 3rd and long.They need to be dominant in that area. Teams can't think that getting a 1st down on 3rd and long is a possibility. That's why I think they should get one of those pass rushing OLBs. If Khali Mack somehow slides to them then Whaley better have "Flash" Goodwin run the card to the podium. If not, they better consider Anthony Barr at 9. Before you say "Aaron Maybin" I say stop, not even close. Barr is 30 lbs heavier, more athletic(former running back) and has been causing a terror for QBs for more than a year. OLB is also another position we need young depth. If both are gone then trade back and snatch Dee Ford from Auburn and acquire more picks to help fortify our OL. This draft is deep at the WR position, considerable talent at the TE/OL, but not many "pass rushers". The Bills win the AFC East by decreasing their opponents effienciency on 3rd and long.

Barr is 255 and 6 foot 5. He plays tall and can be pushed around. He's got one move - a speed rush ala Maybin. He's a project and better suited for a OLB in a 3-4. As a DE in a 43 he'd be knocked around and swallowed up by good NFL OT's.

This, heard a lot of comparisons to Maybin. He just isn't worth the risk. We need a hit in the first round if we want to take the next step.

Barr is 255 and 6 foot 5. He plays tall and can be pushed around. He's got one move - a speed rush ala Maybin. He's a project and better suited for a OLB in a 3-4. As a DE in a 43 he'd be knocked around and swallowed up by good NFL OT's.

Hearing some concerns about Barr as well. Great athleticism, but not seeing the explosion they'd like and he doesn't have a ton of experience at the position. Like the QBs in the draft, Barr seems to be a project at the next level. If he goes to some team that has the time to develop him for a season or two and he reaches his athletic ceiling, he will have been worth it. I don't like him at 9 at all, though.

GO BILLS!!!

What in any way would make Howard Simon's opinion matter? Few years ago him and Jeremy were begging the Bills to draft big wr James Hardy with the 11th pick overall (we ended up choosing him in 2nd rd and was total bust) and even when Mike Mayock came on his show as a guest he practically laughed at jeremy and howard for considering hardy with the Bills 1st pick that year - Mayock tried explaining to them that even if they wanted hard he would be there in rd2

Agree completely. His pass rush move is the loop and swoop and hope that the qb is still holding onto the ball after 4+ seconds. He is raw and definitely has athletic ability but way too much of a project to take at 9 imo.

What in any way would make Howard Simon's opinion matter? Few years ago him and Jeremy were begging the Bills to draft big wr James Hardy with the 11th pick overall (we ended up choosing him in 2nd rd and was total bust) and even when Mike Mayock came on his show as a guest he practically laughed at jeremy and howard for considering hardy with the Bills 1st pick that year - Mayock tried explaining to them that even if they wanted hard he would be there in rd2

Just because Mayock says stuff like "stiff hips" doesn't make him smart. Until he actually has to make the picks and deal with the consequences he is no smarter than any of us.

I'm a firm believer that Mack and Clowney will be disappointments and that Barr will be the best defensive player in this draft.

With all due respect, mrags, I don't know a SINGLE other person in the personnel evaluation realm that shares this view. That's not to say it won't end up like you say, but the entire football world would be shocked.

GO BILLS!!!

Just because Mayock says stuff like "stiff hips" doesn't make him smart. Until he actually has to make the picks and deal with the consequences he is no smarter than any of us.

Really? :lol:

Mayock has been in and around the NFL game for over 30 years...He's a student...He's opinionated because that's what the NFL Network wants him to be...And yes, when you have strong opinions, and you're on National TV most every day, you open yourself up to scrutiny...But no one on this board spends the time evaluating and studying prospects the way Mayock does...No one spends countless hours talking to College Coaches, GM's, and Scouts the way Mayock does...You don't have to like him...But to disrespect what he does by comparing him to this rag-tag bunch we've had around here for the past 20 years or so years is ridiculous... No offense to the knowledgeable on this board of course...But come on... B-)

I'm a firm believer that Mack and Clowney will be disappointments and that Barr will be the best defensive player in this draft.

That's one heck of a limb you just ventured out on my friend... ;)

So sick of getting torched on third and long that it doesn't even bother me that much any more, just kind of expect it. If it was an easy fix it would have been done by now. We've tried fixing it with the pass rush (Williams and Anderson in 2012), first round corners (Gilmore and McKelvin), run stuffing tackles (Williams and Dareus). Nothing seems to work. To compete in today's NFL we just need to be able to outgun the opposition.

Unless Mack falls I don't see a defensive player worth taking over Evans or Ebron. Ebron would add a big possibly dynamic target to an already decent WR core (Not to mention Chandler still in the mix as a backup). Evans is a really good talent too but with the Williams trade it would clog up that position. I think the Bills are going to go defense heavy in rounds 3-5, build depth for the secondary and front seven while the first two picks try and plug up some key holes on offense (RT and Tightend being good holes to plug).

If Ebron, Evans, and Mack aren't there I could honestly see a trade down which would be even better as picking up picks would be a really good idea.

So sick of getting torched on third and long that it doesn't even bother me that much any more, just kind of expect it. If it was an easy fix it would have been done by now. We've tried fixing it with the pass rush (Williams and Anderson in 2012), first round corners (Gilmore and McKelvin), run stuffing tackles (Williams and Dareus). Nothing seems to work. To compete in today's NFL we just need to be able to outgun the opposition.

I think the Broncos tried to follow your philosophy only to get CRUSHED by the Seahawks and their PASS RUSH.

Unless Mack falls I don't see a defensive player worth taking over Evans or Ebron. Ebron would add a big possibly dynamic target to an already decent WR core (Not to mention Chandler still in the mix as a backup). Evans is a really good talent too but with the Williams trade it would clog up that position. I think the Bills are going to go defense heavy in rounds 3-5, build depth for the secondary and front seven while the first two picks try and plug up some key holes on offense (RT and Tightend being good holes to plug).

If Ebron, Evans, and Mack aren't there I could honestly see a trade down which would be even better as picking up picks would be a really good idea.

This.

CBF

People Aaron Maybin was 230 lbs soaking wet when he came out of college. In NY Maybin was able to use his speed to get a couple of sacks. Barr is 255 lbs who ran 4.4 40 in his pro day recently. Don't know what negative evaluations people been reading, but this dude is a stud and will help the Bills pass rush.

People Aaron Maybin was 230 lbs soaking wet when he came out of college. In NY Maybin was able to use his speed to get a couple of sacks. Barr is 255 lbs who ran 4.4 40 in his pro day recently. Don't know what negative evaluations people been reading, but this dude is a stud and will help the Bills pass rush.

255 is tiny. Maybin wasn't 6'5 or 6'6 like Barr.

At 6'5 he needs to be 265-270 just to hold his weight. 255 would be good for someone maybe 6'2 playing LB.

Two years ago, Barr was a running back. He was something of an emergency switch to LB who surprised everyone with his ability so he stayed there. However good he was in his first year, he was much better in his second which seems to suggest he's still learning and has a lot of upside. His father and two uncles played for Notre Dame and also played in the NFL, so he's got that edge. He was educated at Loyola high school, a pretty rigorous Jesuit institution and has done well academically at UCLA, a place with high standards, so he appears to have intelligence as well. I've watched pretty much all of his games at UCLA and he more than passes the "eyeball test." None of this means he's the second coming of Patrick Willis or that he'll even have a good NFL career. But the upside and potential are high. Comparing him to Maybin is plain silly.

because of the fact that the Bills were able to land a talent like Cordy Glenn in the second rd.

That logic makes zero sense to me. The Saints were able to draft talent like Jimmy Graham in the third round. So by applying your logic, we should wait until the 3rd round to draft a TE

Yeah, GL you just 1, 2 and 3 punched this and I'm buying what you are selling.

...not interested. Best of luck to the kid, but not interested.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

With all due respect, mrags, I don't know a SINGLE other person in the personnel evaluation realm that shares this view. That's not to say it won't end up like you say, but the entire football world would be shocked.

GO BILLS!!!

yup. And everyone in the world except Bill Belicheck thought Tom Brady was a bum too.

Great minds think alike I guess ;-)

That's one heck of a limb you just ventured out on my friend... ;)

Ill be here for a while. Don't come out with me, you might break the branch.

Yeah, GL you just 1, 2 and 3 punched this and I'm buying what you are selling.

...not interested. Best of luck to the kid, but not interested.

watch a highlight reel of him and you won't think that. The kid is a physical monster and doesn't get pushed around by anyone.

http://youtu.be/TJjHsSrfpPk

Edited by mrags

yup. And everyone in the world except Bill Belicheck thought Tom Brady was a bum too.

Great minds think alike I guess ;-)

Ill be here for a while. Don't come out with me, you might break the branch.

watch a highlight reel of him and you won't think that. The kid is a physical monster and doesn't get pushed around by anyone.

Admittedly I haven't seen Barr play much, but I have to tell you based on that he does appear to play very physical. In saying that Maybin was destroying QB's in his highlight reel too, then coupled with his pursuit it sure looked impressive. I actually think even in this reel he looks very very similar to him.

If that was a crack about my weight I'll have you know I've been cutting back on the carbs big time...So... :lol:

lol.

Admittedly I haven't seen Barr play much, but I have to tell you based on that he does appear to play very physical. In saying that Maybin was destroying QB's in his highlight reel too, then coupled with his pursuit it sure looked impressive. I actually think even in this reel he looks very very similar to him.

admittedly I have seen much of him personally either. But I love his highlights. Of course you could make a case that he'll be the next Maybin. But he's much bigger than Maybin was and to me, shows more availability to pack on some extra weight. Whoch is something Maybin was never able to do or show that he could. The weight he out on for the combine was always his topped out weight and it never materialized. Barr looks like he can grow more to me.

But everyone has their own opinion. I have no problem eating it when I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. (I was a believer in Maybin at first) but I personally tho I Barr will not only be the best defensive player in this draft but Mack and Clowney will be huge disappointments.

O line all the way. I want two O line NFL starters for this team in the first 3 tounds. One tackle one guard.

Mike williams and stevie johnson on the same team probably means trouble so i dont mind seeing them grab evans first, but the O line needs serious help and it really didnt get any in free agency.

I think the Broncos tried to follow your philosophy only to get CRUSHED by the Seahawks and their PASS RUSH.

If getting crushed by the Seahawks in the SB included beating NE in the AFC Championship, I'd be okay with that for next year.

In his article he stated that the Bills should still go with receiver/Ebron at 9 and that the Bills don't necessarily have to take an OL there because of the fact that the Bills were able to land a talent like Cordy Glenn in the second rd. I personally believe that they should direct their attention back to the defensive side of the ball at 9. With the off season moves so far, they've addressed many areas of need on their roster. One area the Bills got torched last year was on 3rd and long.They need to be dominant in that area. Teams can't think that getting a 1st down on 3rd and long is a possibility. That's why I think they should get one of those pass rushing OLBs. If Khali Mack somehow slides to them then Whaley better have "Flash" Goodwin run the card to the podium. If not, they better consider Anthony Barr at 9. Before you say "Aaron Maybin" I say stop, not even close. Barr is 30 lbs heavier, more athletic(former running back) and has been causing a terror for QBs for more than a year. OLB is also another position we need young depth. If both are gone then trade back and snatch Dee Ford from Auburn and acquire more picks to help fortify our OL. This draft is deep at the WR position, considerable talent at the TE/OL, but not many "pass rushers". The Bills win the AFC East by decreasing their opponents effienciency on 3rd and long.

I disagree. A one year wonder at LB is not worth the risk.

lol.

admittedly I have seen much of him personally either. But I love his highlights. Of course you could make a case that he'll be the next Maybin. But he's much bigger than Maybin was and to me, shows more availability to pack on some extra weight. Whoch is something Maybin was never able to do or show that he could. The weight he out on for the combine was always his topped out weight and it never materialized. Barr looks like he can grow more to me.

But everyone has their own opinion. I have no problem eating it when I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. (I was a believer in Maybin at first) but I personally tho I Barr will not only be the best defensive player in this draft but Mack and Clowney will be huge disappointments.

The so called experts compares Anthony Barr to Demarcus Ware. I don't know about the rest of y'all but I'll take Demarcus Ware on my team.

True...the fact that he's been asked to interview for at least 2 GM/personnel jobs in the NFL, on the other hand, says quite a bit...doesn't it?

That's college. Mayhem Maybin was a beast as well until a real NFL OT got a hold of him. Barr may grow into a good pro but he's a project and one trick pony right now. Can't see burning a top ten pick on a project. As I said, maybe as a 34 OLB but certainly not a 43 DE.

That's college. Mayhem Maybin was a beast as well until a real NFL OT got a hold of him. Barr may grow into a good pro but he's a project and one trick pony right now. Can't see burning a top ten pick on a project. As I said, maybe as a 34 OLB but certainly not a 43 DE.

Why can't he play as a linebacker in the 43? Why is it OK to draft Mack at 9, but not Barr? Yes Mack has played the position longer but their measurables are comparable. Maybin, in the NFL, was blocked by RBs and TEs. Maybin was 225-230 lbs. Barr is 30 lbs heavier. Let's stop with the Maybin comparisons. NFLDRAFTSCOUT compares Barr to Demarcus Ware.

The Bills are truly clueless if they take Ebron at #9. You just don't draft TEs at the top of the first round for the same reason you wouldn't do it in your fantasy team. You don't need them to win in a lot of systems, they don't see the field all the time, there are a bunch of guys who are "good enough," and their value is usually based on how many TDs they catch which is somewhat determined by luck.

Horribly poor value at #9. they're not making that pick. They're more likely to take another QB, and they're not very likely to do that.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you about Barr, some scouts had serious questions about Maybin's ability to set the edge and play the run when he came out...I remember Mike Mayock doing a segment on "Path To The Draft" showing film of Maybin vs. the run...Mayock pointed out Maybin's inconsistency playing the run, and said despite the fact that he knew some teams had Maybin high on their boards he personally had a 2nd round grade on him...I'll never forget that because it's the first thing I thought of when the Bills Drafted Maybin at #11 overall...

I'm not hearing the exact same things about Barr...It's more about his inexperience than his inability...I heard a lot about Maybin's inabilities before his Draft...I think the similarities are what the two players do well...Both were very good edge rushers in College...And both have long, thinner frames...I think also that Barr was asked to do a little more pure OLB-type assignments than Maybin was in College...Which should help him make the jump easier...But I don't think Barr is a DE in any way, shape, or form...He's going to have to play OLB no matter what team or scheme he goes to...And I think as far as the Bills are concerned, already having Hughes and Lawson makes it very unlikely he will be the Bills target...But we'll see soon enough... B-)