Does Anybody Want Ryan Mallett On This Football Team?

I think some of us are talking about Mallett as a projected backup/competition for EJ.

I'm not advocating dumping EJ at all.

People are losing their minds over this thread.

Well if you think he can teach what he has learned being in the Patriots system , then thats not a bad thought at all.

I dont consider him a good backup to come in and win though.

Thad Lewis would have my vote for that duty . Sure they could should compete , but as it stands for me...

A mentor at a mentors salary. sorry man.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't waste a pick on Murray or Mettenberger. Neither will see the field this year as they recover from ACL injuries. Meaning you go into 2015 without knowing whether either player is worth anything, meaning probably needing to draft another QB if EJ stumbles. But given the choice of spending a pick on Mallet or Murray/Mettenberger, I'd choose the latter.

I have doubts Mallet is better than Jeff Tuel. Again the Pats have been on the good end of a lot of blowouts, and they haven't seen fit to put Mallet on there. That tells me all I need to know.

well, Mettenberger has a cannon for an arm, and is about on par with Mallett as being very immobile in my view. The kid cleaned up his act his last two years in college, and shown some maturity at LSU. This kid could be a real steal in the 4th or 5th.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-in-knee-rehab

From what this article stated that Murray should be ready to throw at his Georgia pro day.

The Bills took a chance on a kid in the 80's that also suffered an injury his senior season, just sayin.

And I would be fine with this as well FTL. But the skeptic in me foresees neither. :( Let's hope!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, I'd love to see Mettenberger drafted to replace Tuel, as I have no idea what the bills see in that kid.

The only question I have with EJ is durability, and looking at his college history I think last year was just fluke with bad luck all around. Should the Bills finally upgrade that O line properly, and the receivers stay healthy this year I think you will quickly change your opinion on EJ. Like I've stated in other posts, Joe M, Troy A, Peyton M all had much worse rookie seasons. Give the kid a chance.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I just want to know why? What has he shown in his 3+ years in the league? Besides some college highlights what makes you want him?

I for one don't want him. As a low cost free agent signing I would be intrigued but to give up a draft pick? Hell no. Major character concerns in college and poor performance against players no longer in the league lead me to that conclusion. What makes you say yes? His strong arm? There are many players throughout league history who have failed with strong arms. One needs much more than that to be succesful.

So what would you be willing to give to the Pats* and what would be your expectations of Mallet? Superstar qb? If they thought he would be one do you think they would shop him let alone to a division rival?

I would take him for a 7th round pick...no higher

And they would hang up on that offer.

The thing is, what is a guy that you hope is a decent backup, maybe a little bit more, worth? Definitely not more than a 3rd. If you trade more than a 3rd you are betting on the guy taking your starting job.

The Bills simply aren't in that business this year. If they somehow stumble into a situation where Bridgewater or perhaps Manziel is there later than expected, I see them pulling a trigger. But if not, it's just another misallocation of resources. You can't just believe that any QB could be the guy just because he's not the one who is tops on your depth chart at present.

Also, as noted above, investing in Mallett means investing in a QB whose skill set is wildly divergent from that of the current QB. It may create enticing change of pace scenarios in an injury situation, but I can visualize exactly how opposing teams would game plan for a slow, rocket armed QB.

In three professional seasons he's completed one of four passes.

He's netted 8 yards (17 passing, -9 rushing).

Of his three incomplettions, one of them was a pick.

But I have no doubt that this thread has at least another three pages left in it.

5th round pick no more....

The Patriots trading any QB to the Bills would represent a red flag the size of Rhode Island. The Patriots aren't stupid. So I would just erase any thought of the idea for that reason alone.

I was never a fan of Mallet's personality coming out of college to put it mildly. He came across like a dopey 15 year old kid and I couldn't imagine him ever turning into a leader type at any point in his career.

Edited by 1billsfan

In three professional seasons he's completed one of four passes.

He's netted 8 yards (17 passing, -9 rushing).

Of his three incomplettions, one of them was a pick.

But I have no doubt that this thread has at least another three pages left in it.

I am not touting the merits of Mallett, but in any universe we'd call that SSS (small sample size) buoyed by the fact that there is an elite, HOF entrenched starter ahead of him.

No one is talking about bringing Drew Brees' backup in on the basis of his NFL career, either. I think Bill only brings him up because he liked Mallett in college, which is fair.

well, Mettenberger has a cannon for an arm, and is about on par with Mallett as being very immobile in my view. The kid cleaned up his act his last two years in college, and shown some maturity at LSU. This kid could be a real steal in the 4th or 5th.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-in-knee-rehab

From what this article stated that Murray should be ready to throw at his Georgia pro day.

The Bills took a chance on a kid in the 80's that also suffered an injury his senior season, just sayin.

I doubt either will be back in time to make a meaningful contribution in even pre-season, which will necessitate putting them on IR. And even if they get on the playing field, they'll still be recovering and be at a disadvantage. If that's the case, then again their rookie seasons are a wash and you still don't know what you have in them.

As for Thurman, he had a partial tear and still played in his senior year college bowl game. And dominated.

I've lived on the Mallett train for years now. I'd have zero issues with bringing him in for competition.

Hoyer and Casell have enjoyed a degree of success at times after departing Brady's shadow.

Why not. More competition the better. I'd love to see what he could do. We need some depth at that position, and playing for the Pats for a number of years can't hurt from the learning standpoint.

There is nothing Mallett does better than EJ. Nothing. Just another guy who hasn't done a thing in the NFL that some fans think is better than a rookie qb who had up & downs like all rookie Qbs have.

Every qb is better than EJ I know (cousins, Flynn, Johnny football, etc.). Mallett hasn't even been good in preseason. He played in a gimmick offense that helped Brian Brohm become a second round pick. He is slow & dumb. But obliviously since he was a 3rd round pick & EJ was a 1st rounder, Mallett must have more upside. :)

P.s. I take it back. There is one thing Mallett is better than EJ at. Doing coke. Mallett is a pro bowler in that department.

Remember how happy everyone was when we drafted EJ? But now we want a new QB because EJ wasn't an instant pro bowler.

And if we did draft another QB this draft we'd all want a QB in 2015 too because we don't allow our players to develop.

I doubt either will be back in time to make a meaningful contribution in even pre-season, which will necessitate putting them on IR. And even if they get on the playing field, they'll still be recovering and be at a disadvantage. If that's the case, then again their rookie seasons are a wash and you still don't know what you have in them.

As for Thurman, he had a partial tear and still played in his senior year college bowl game. And dominated.

I was referring to Kelly who had a separated shoulder his senior year at Miami. It was so bad that he needed rods inserted in it to hold it in place, also doctors told him he may never regain full motion.

If not for the injury Kelly was a strong candidate for the Heisman trophy, and probably would have been drafted before Todd Blackledge :lol:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19820920&id=gs5YAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2ukDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4338,6622262

Remember how happy everyone was when we drafted EJ? But now we want a new QB because EJ wasn't an instant pro bowler.

And if we did draft another QB this draft we'd all want a QB in 2015 too because we don't allow our players to develop.

You are a little heavy with the hyperbole. I sincerely doubt that "we" expected him to be an instant pro-bowler. The problem is that he struggled so badly against really basic zone coverages. The second problem is that when teams showed him more of it late in the season, he still hesitated and checked down or took the sack. He has some Trentative in him.

You are a little heavy with the hyperbole. I sincerely doubt that "we" expected him to be an instant pro-bowler. The problem is that he struggled so badly against really basic zone coverages. The second problem is that when teams showed him more of it late in the season, he still hesitated and checked down or took the sack. He has some Trentative in him.

From what I remember is, the guy had a 2-3 second window to get the ball out or he was under pressure. The kid had a hurt knee so running wasn't an option very often. Then he was playing with a bad surrounding cast of players, a bad O line, banged up WR corps with 2 rookies and a 2nd year who can't catch a cold. The leading receiver on the team was Scott Chandler who falls down when he see a tackler.

Nate Hackett's offense the Bills were a run first offense, and were stuffed quite often running it. Spiller tackled behind the line of scrimmage very often. Then when they found they couldn't run the ball, the onus to make plays went right on the rookie QB's shoulders. #2 in the NFL in rushing, #1 in attempts, and yet 16th in run blocking, and that was football outsiders. PFF ranks the Bills 28th at run blocking. Which is pretty pathetic one way or the other.

The 2013 Bills were a very dysfunctional offensive unit, so predictable as they ran up the middle 71% of the time. Then running a fast-paced, hurry up / no huddle, quick strike passing offense with a cast of very young WR's :wacko: Once the opposing defense stacked the box to stop the run.... the Bills offense was like an toothless lion. 25th in 3 downs and out, couldn't control the clock or the LoS.

Give the kid a team around him, and if he stinks it up... then talk about replacing him. Kolb or any vet would have looked like crap in that offense too.

Edited by FeartheLosing

From what I remember is, the guy had a 2-3 second window to get the ball out or he was under pressure. The kid had a hurt knee so running wasn't an option very often. Then he was playing with a bad surrounding cast of players, a bad O line, banged up WR corps with 2 rookies and a 2nd year who can't catch a cold. The leading receiver on the team was Scott Chandler who falls down when he see a tackler.

Nate Hackett's offense the Bills were a run first offense, and were stuffed quite often running it. Spiller tackled behind the line of scrimmage very often. Then when they found they couldn't run the ball, the onus to make plays went right on the rookie QB's shoulders. #2 in the NFL in rushing, #1 in attempts, and yet 16th in run blocking, and that was football outsiders. PFF ranks the Bills 28th at run blocking. Which is pretty pathetic one way or the other.

The 2013 Bills were a very dysfunctional offensive unit, so predictable as they ran up the middle 71% of the time. Then running a fast-paced, hurry up / no huddle, quick strike passing offense with a cast of very young WR's :wacko: Once the opposing defense stacked the box to stop the run.... the Bills offense was like an toothless lion. 25th in 3 downs and out, couldn't control the clock or the LoS.

Give the kid a team around him, and if he stinks it up... then talk about replacing him. Kolb or any vet would have looked like crap in that offense too.

All of the stats you mentioned tell me that the Bills QB position is the team's primary weakness. I don't really understand how these stats you brought up are an endorsement of EJ moving forward.

I was referring to Kelly who had a separated shoulder his senior year at Miami. It was so bad that he needed rods inserted in it to hold it in place, also doctors told him he may never regain full motion.

If not for the injury Kelly was a strong candidate for the Heisman trophy, and probably would have been drafted before Todd Blackledge :lol:

http://news.google.c...pg=4338,6622262

That was a little before my time but thanks for the history lesson. Luck plays a giant part in success.

Great post that some will call complete excuse making but I call it being realistic. EJ was forced to learn a no huddle offense as a rookie, got hurt for 2 weeks in his first NFL training camp, then missed another month, had every wr except the worst one miss time this year (ask Peyton Manning how important practicing with your wrs is), and yet had a higher QB rating than Andrew Luck did as a rookie.

Yeah, EJ showed no signs and the fans trying to replace him are completely rational.

All of the stats you mentioned tell me that the Bills QB position is the team's primary weakness. I don't really understand how these stats you brought up are an endorsement of EJ moving forward.

It's surprising that you read something that says the complete opposite and yet it tells you what you want to hear. Running up the middle 71% of the time tells you that EJ Manuel had a problem? With what, is he bad at handing off the ball?

This whole offense needs to grow, EJ included. I think we all expect major steps forward to be made. The QB position is the team's primary question mark, but not its primary weakness (um, run defense much?), yet. We'll have more information after this year.

ZERO picks. Let's just take a quick look at some guys that were drafted in that 4th-6th round that some people suggest is a reasonable price for a backup to our backup quarterback. Da'Norris Searcy, Nigel Bradham, Duke Williams, Chris Hairston, Aruthur Moats, Marcus Easley. I would take ANY of those guys (among others) over a quarterback that has a career rating of 5.2 and a QBR of 0.88. I'm baffled at how stupid fans can continue to be. It's almost like they want the team to waste even more draft picks on garbage such that they can field yet another mediocre team.

Who said EJ is going to the hall of fame? But it's kinda laughable that someone can claim a 3rd round pick who hasn't even played well in preseason had more upside than EJ.

It's just kinda sad how players aren't allowed to develop anymore. You killed McKelvin for years. If McKelvin was a free agent this year, he'd be getting a monster deal.

No what is laughable is people like you that get so defensive when someone even mentions bringing in some real competition for EJ to face. The Bills had one of the worst QBing situations in the league last year, I don't think anybody on this board could argue that. If they even had average play from the QB spot this team wins 9-10 games & possibly makes the playoffs. But let's stand pat & not try to stiffen the competition so poor EJ does not have to worry about his job. If he is as good as you say he is he will beat out the competition & certainly would beat out a guy like Mallett. I watch Mallett warm up the one time when the Pats were here & Bill is right, this kid has a top 5 arm. Everyhting looked so effortless. I don't think much of him either because I don't think he has the head to play this game but at the right price I would bring him in for a look. Why not?

No what is laughable is people like you that get so defensive when someone even mentions bringing in some real competition for EJ to face. The Bills had one of the worst QBing situations in the league last year, I don't think anybody on this board could argue that. If they even had average play from the QB spot this team wins 9-10 games & possibly makes the playoffs. But let's stand pat & not try to stiffen the competition so poor EJ does not have to worry about his job. If he is as good as you say he is he will beat out the competition & certainly would beat out a guy like Mallett. I watch Mallett warm up the one time when the Pats were here & Bill is right, this kid has a top 5 arm. Everyhting looked so effortless. I don't think much of him either because I don't think he has the head to play this game but at the right price I would bring him in for a look. Why not?

Because the right price in a deal with NE is going to be inflated?

Average play from the WR and TE might have won the Atlanta game for us. Average play from the run defense might have won us another one or two. QB is important. Everybody gets it. We only get reminded every 2 minutes around here.

The whole team needs to get better and Andrew Luck is not walking through that door. You either roll with what you've got - somebody you've invested in - or you jump at the next opportunity for every shiny new thing. That is not working out for most teams, either. Build a team and if there is an improvement at QB to be found, get him then. SF and SEA have shown the wisdom of this.

But let's stand pat & not try to stiffen the competition so poor EJ does not have to worry about his job.

Please share with us where someone, anyone, is saying this.

Bring him in & let him start a few games, then we can laugh at his apologists, it'd be like 2003 all over again.

Or perhaps we could bring in Peyton Manning, so we can only win one championship, go to two more SBs and be considered a failure?

What abotu Shaun Hill? Heard him mentioned as somebody likely to get a look from the Bills....

He seems pretty ancient to me, but then I look and see he's actually younger than Josh McCown, whom I wouldn't mind here.

People who want competition for EJ wouldn't like it. People who want a stable backup might.

Haha. "I watched Mallett warm up one time." That's gold. Yes, let's spend a draft pick on that guy. I'm surprised NE isn't flooded with draft offers after they saw Mallett warm up.

good organizations don't give up 1st round picks after one year. Even though Mallett hasn't proven a thing and was a 3rd round pick (somehow, he has more upside than EJ), fans would start a stupid QB debate. They did it when Tuel played good against 4th stringers.

Again, I know patience is dead. But for all the talk about our poor QB play, EJ left the field twice with leads, NE and ATL, and another game where he was leading the team on the go ahead drive, Cleveland. If the vaunted D holds the leads, there are your 9 wins. But even though EJ had a higher QB rating than Luck did as a rookie, let's give up on the guy for a slow, lumbering cokehead who put up numbers in the same system Brian Brohm did.

Mallet or a non-first-round rookie wouldn't be real competition for EJ. And a veteran backup would be just that: a backup and not the future. As for a 1st rounder, given the lack on consensus on who is the best QB, I doubt any of them would be real competion either considering how late the draft is now and that EJ has a year in the system.

It's surprising that you read something that says the complete opposite and yet it tells you what you want to hear. Running up the middle 71% of the time tells you that EJ Manuel had a problem? With what, is he bad at handing off the ball?

This whole offense needs to grow, EJ included. I think we all expect major steps forward to be made. The QB position is the team's primary question mark, but not its primary weakness (um, run defense much?), yet. We'll have more information after this year.

I find it curious that you referenced something that is irrelevant to EJ and didn't address the other stats mentioned. You also didn't address what my point was in reference to EJ's inability to find open receivers against soft zones. Good QBs come in to the league and tend to have early success against those coverages. Watch the Steelers game again. Basic coverages out of a cover-2 shell and the guy didn't know what to do. There were throws to be made because guys did get open while EJ was on his feet. Perhaps it is my fault for watching the games and not allowing PFF stats to explain the season to me. Then again there is no stat for non-attempts to open receivers, so perhaps what I am saying doesn't exist. The Bills ran a dumbed down, run first hurry-up offense in the hopes that teams would counter with simpler coverages. EJ got those coverages and checked down often when guys were open down field and EJ was still on his feet. That is a bad sign.

Mallet or a non-first-round rookie wouldn't be real competition for EJ.

While on principle I think you're right, Matt Flynn might disagree.

I find it curious that you referenced something that is irrelevant to EJ and didn't address the other stats mentioned. You also didn't address what my point was in reference to EJ's inability to find open receivers against soft zones. Good QBs come in to the league and tend to have early success against those coverages. Watch the Steelers game again. Basic coverages out of a cover-2 shell and the guy didn't know what to do. There were throws to be made because guys did get open while EJ was on his feet. Perhaps it is my fault for watching the games and not allowing PFF stats to explain the season to me. Then again there is no stat for non-attempts to open receivers, so perhaps what I am saying doesn't exist. The Bills ran a dumbed down, run first hurry-up offense in the hopes that teams would counter with simpler coverages. EJ got those coverages and checked down often when guys were open down field and EJ was still on his feet. That is a bad sign.

Good QBs come into the league and also tend to have bad games in their rookie year. Pittsburgh was surely among the worst. What about the second Jets game? The Panthers game?

Haha. "I watched Mallett warm up one time." That's gold. Yes, let's spend a draft pick on that guy. I'm surprised NE isn't flooded with draft offers after they saw Mallett warm up.

good organizations don't give up 1st round picks after one year. Even though Mallett hasn't proven a thing and was a 3rd round pick (somehow, he has more upside than EJ), fans would start a stupid QB debate. They did it when Tuel played good against 4th stringers.

Again, I know patience is dead. But for all the talk about our poor QB play, EJ left the field twice with leads, NE and ATL, and another game where he was leading the team on the go ahead drive, Cleveland. If the vaunted D holds the leads, there are your 9 wins. But even though EJ had a higher QB rating than Luck did as a rookie, let's give up on the guy for a slow, lumbering cokehead who put up numbers in the same system Brian Brohm did.

I think EJ is the starter this year but I don't see the harm in bringing in a guy that could actually challenge him for the job. I am not sure mallett is that guy or not but I would throw a 5th round pick at NE & see if they would jump. I really hope the Bills do not go into training camp with the same 3 guys they had last year. That would be a big mistake imo.

So what about his 2nd game without his two top wrs, in very rainy and windy conditions, where he hit several deep passes against one of, if not, the best defensive coaches in the NFL? That doesn't count because it doesn't fit your agenda? Nope, let's put all the eggs into the Pittsburgh game. Ej's first game back after a month against maybe the best DC in the history of the NFL. EJ sucks.

While on principle I think you're right, Matt Flynn might disagree.

Good QBs come into the league and also tend to have bad games in their rookie year. Pittsburgh was surely among the worst. What about the second Jets game? The Panthers game?

The Panthers game doesn't count. Also, EJ would be a better QB if he threw for 4 yards agaisnt them because he would have a 300 yard passing day.

I badly wanted the Bills to draft Mallett when he was available. It wasn't meant to be. Now i'd still want him if EJ weren't here but if the Bills have their minds set on EJ being "the guy" then no use bringing Mallett in. He will go somewhere and be a solid starting QB imo. I think the Pats will lose out in the long run if Mallett leaves them.

I agree with Bill. I'd love to see him brought in to compete for the starting job. Only a complete fool would say "he's done absolutely nothing". Well no sh-t, he's playing behind Tom Brady.

His stats in the preseason against backups and guys not in the NFL: http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanmallett/2495443/gamelogs

Ej's preseason stats against mainly 1st and 2nd stringers: http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/gamelogs

So EJ would have beat Mallett out in the preseason last year and we didn't have to give a draft pick to NE. That settles it. Now let's move on. :)

If they bring in another QB, I'd rather it be a guy who is older and has won some games in the league, who can mentor EJ and be a solid backup (Kolb was supposed to be that guy but, as is his wont, got injured). I don't want them giving up a draft pick to a division rival for a guy who in 3 years and despite the Pats being on the winning side of numerous blowouts, barely got playing time and has a stat line of 1/4 for 25 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

Starters don't mentor their replacements. Backups don't mentor starters.

I guess it's the habit of assuming every QB draft hype is someone worth bringing in. How did Matt Leinert look? And to those who would say what's the harm in bringing them in for a look, I say a team would look pretty stupid bringing in a parade of QB's like their scouting department can't make up their minds.

The Bills will probably bring in one or two QB's: a vet FA and a low round pick of UDFA

You mean like Kolb, TJax (a second time), Thad, Tuel and Manuel? A sad parade.

Yeah, that would look pretty stupid.

I am really glad that the second Jets game got brought up. The Jets played primarily man coverage with either a single high safety or both safeties in the box and brought pressure. The Jets approach in that game is the polar opposite of what the Steelers attempted. Perhaps I am on the wrong message board? How can we discuss these things when it seems that no one wants to discuss the x's and o's of where EJ really struggles? Fearthelosing brought up 71% of running plays going up the middle as if that hurt EJ's performance, and yet play action off that tendency against man coverage and no safety help sealed that game. Similar play action against zones lead primarily to check-downs again in the games that followed. After that game teams reverted to playing cover-2 shells and EJ reverted to checking down. As for me having an agenda, I don't even know what that means, but perhaps that methodology is part of people's QB evaluation?

Starters don't mentor their replacements. Backups don't mentor starters.

You mean like Kolb, TJax (a second time), Thad, Tuel and Manuel? A sad parade.

Yeah, that would look pretty stupid.

Agree on the 1st part. What backup did you want the Bills to bring in?

His stats in the preseason against backups and guys not in the NFL: http://www.nfl.com/p...495443/gamelogs

Ej's preseason stats against mainly 1st and 2nd stringers: http://www.nfl.com/p...539228/gamelogs

So EJ would have beat Mallett out in the preseason last year and we didn't have to give a draft pick to NE. That settles it. Now let's move on. :)

Well done! Shouldn't someone start a "just give JaMarcus Russell a chance" thread? LOL.