Does Anybody Want Ryan Mallett On This Football Team?

I for one do. That said, I'm not sure how much I would be willing to give up for him. Maybe we can talk about this.

What I will say is that he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. I am not young, and it's one of the best I have ever seen. To put it in perspective, he makes Losman (who had a live, deep arm) look like Fitz on long out patterns. He threw the best post that I have ever seen (50 yards flat footed with almost no air under it), and he even has some touch.

I have been around long enough to know that arm strength isn't everything, but this kid is such a freak that I would like the Bills to take a chance with him for a reasonable price.

And yes, I think that he has more upside than EJ.

Sorry, jmo.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about accuracy & intelligence? I always thought arm-strength was one of those things a quarterback just needs enough of it. It tells me he scored a 26 on the wonderlic, which is only 2 better than Geno Smith.

I'm not against bringing Mallet in. I'd just like more info about accuracy/intelligence.

I for one do. That said, I'm not sure how much I would be willing to give up for him. Maybe we can talk about this.

What I will say is that he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. I am not young, and it's one of the best I have ever seen. To put it in perspective, he makes Losman (who had a live, deep arm) look like Fitz on long out patterns. He threw the best post that I have ever seen (50 yards flat footed with almost no air under it), and he even has some touch.

I have been around long enough to know that arm strength isn't everything, but this kid is such a freak that I would like the Bills to take a chance with him for a reasonable price.

Sorry, jmo.

JaMarcus says HI.

There was a report that the Texans were interested in Mallett. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/09/texans-interest-in-ryan-mallett-appears-minimal-to-nonexistent/

SB Nation gave a look at Malllet last year for Cleveland. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/2/27/4034030/what-is-ryan-mallet-actually-worth-and-should-the-browns-be-interested

Scouting reports and draft analysis reveal a similar trend. When Mallett faces heavy pressure, one of two things happens frequently: he throws picks, or he drifts in the pocket and throws without putting his body into the throw, resulting in inaccurate passes.

Sorry but if you think EJ will be a bust based on his rookie season, you shouldn't want anything to do with Mallett. Even more so if it costs a draft pick.

Why Doc? I think that under any conditions, the Bills should bring in another quarterback. Don't you, or are you THAT sold on EJ? ;)

Sorry, jmo.

I couldn't disagree more.

Every offseason since he was drafted by the Pats*, Mallett is brought up in possible trade discussions. That he would surely garner a 1st or 2nd round pick from a team and that the Pats* were smart to draft him in the 3rd round.

And yet, nothing has materialized, why could that be?

Well for one, he struggles with accuracy. In his preseason games, starting against people who probably aren't playing in the NFL, he hasn't thrown above 55%. His YPA for all of preseason play time is 5.3.

Secondly, his decision making is suspect. You would think this would improve over time, yet in 3 preseason's it hasn't. He still misses wide open receivers and throws some terrible interceptions.

Bill, you are focusing too much on the arm and his play in college.

No one has seen him play in what? 4 years? He's gotta be great.

Why be so snide Promo? What are you trying to prove? Please tell us your point if you have one, other than the fact that you resent other Bills Fans.

Is there any other stance about the Bills that you take?

What about accuracy & intelligence? I always thought arm-strength was one of those things a quarterback just needs enough of it. It tells me he scored a 26 on the wonderlic, which is only 2 better than Geno Smith.

I'm not against bringing Mallet in. I'd just like more info about accuracy/intelligence.

26 is a decent score. 20 is average for the general population. A 26 correlates to approx a 110-115 IQ (very roughly)

If we want a semi mobile guy with elite intangibles- he really doesn't make sense. If we want a laser rocket arm, sure.

I was going to say the same. I am not sure after three years that anyone can legitimately make the argument that he has more upside than EJ. I think if it had been there, we would have seen it already. Not saying he couldn't become an excellent QB, but the clock is ticking as he enters what should be the prime years of his playing career.

I think if he goes anywhere, it's to the Texans. That could be a good landing spot for him for a variety of reasons.

26 is a decent score. 20 is average for the general population. A 26 correlates to approx a 110-115 IQ (very roughly)

Wait....... Are you making a stance for Geno's intelligence level? Lol, I keed, I keed.

EJ got a 28