Does Anybody Want Ryan Mallett On This Football Team?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Doc? I think that under any conditions, the Bills should bring in another quarterback. Don't you, or are you THAT sold on EJ? ;)

If they bring in another QB, I'd rather it be a guy who is older and has won some games in the league, who can mentor EJ and be a solid backup (Kolb was supposed to be that guy but, as is his wont, got injured). I don't want them giving up a draft pick to a division rival for a guy who in 3 years and despite the Pats being on the winning side of numerous blowouts, barely got playing time and has a stat line of 1/4 for 25 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

You have to consider a few things here. Even if he really is any good as a starter, then why on earth would the Patriots want to trade him away to a division rival?

Then you need to think about giving up draft picks that the Patriots could utilize against the Bills, a 3rd or 4th?

That last years Bills O line couldn't protect some mobile young QB's last season. What would an immobile stump look like in that pocket when the pressure hits after two seconds?

Mallet threw only one regular season pass in his entire NFL career so far, Thad Lewis & Jeff Tuel have thrown more.

If the bills are going to invest a 3rd or 4th round pick for a player with no NFL experience. I'd rather see them draft AJ McCarron in the 3rd or Zach Mettenberger in the 4th, or Aaron Murry. Then mold those QB's to the system they want to develop them in, JMO

Why be so snide Promo? What are you trying to prove? Please tell us your point if you have one, other than the fact that you resent other Bills Fans.

Is there any other stance about the Bills that you take?

I guess it's the habit of assuming every QB draft hype is someone worth bringing in. How did Matt Leinert look? And to those who would say what's the harm in bringing them in for a look, I say a team would look pretty stupid bringing in a parade of QB's like their scouting department can't make up their minds.

The Bills will probably bring in one or two QB's: a vet FA and a low round pick of UDFA

I say a team would look pretty stupid bringing in a parade of QB's like their scouting department can't make up their minds.

Do you mean more stupid than they already look?

We need a solid QB Promo. Desperately. Manuel or even Lewis might be good enough. It isn't impossible. But there is never harm of bringing in talent at the QB position.

There is nothing Mallett does better than EJ. Nothing. Just another guy who hasn't done a thing in the NFL that some fans think is better than a rookie qb who had up & downs like all rookie Qbs have.

Every qb is better than EJ I know (cousins, Flynn, Johnny football, etc.). Mallett hasn't even been good in preseason. He played in a gimmick offense that helped Brian Brohm become a second round pick. He is slow & dumb. But obliviously since he was a 3rd round pick & EJ was a 1st rounder, Mallett must have more upside. :)

P.s. I take it back. There is one thing Mallett is better than EJ at. Doing coke. Mallett is a pro bowler in that department.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

If the bills are going to invest a 3rd or 4th round pick for a player with no NFL experience. I'd rather see them draft AJ McCarron in the 3rd or Zach Mettenberger in the 4th, or Aaron Murry. Then mold those QB's to the system they want to develop them in, JMO

And I would be fine with this as well FTL. But the skeptic in me foresees neither. :( Let's hope!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean more stupid than they already look?

We need a solid QB Promo. Desperately. Manuel or even Lewis might be good enough. It isn't impossible. But there is never harm of bringing in talent at the QB position.

We also need coaches who don't give up on a 1st round draft pick, who whether you or other fans admit it or not had his moments, after 1 year.

If I was the GM and Marrone came to me and thought EJ wasn't the answer, I'd fire him on the spot. But patience is dead. No time for young Qbs to develop. EJ had almost a full year in the NFL. Time to move on.

There is nothing Mallett does better than EJ. Nothing. Just another guy who hasn't done a thing in the NFL that some fans think is better than a rookie qb who had up & downs like all rookie Qbs have.

Every qb is better than EJ I know (cousins, Flynn, Johnny football, etc.). Mallett hasn't even been good in preseason. He played in a gimmick offense that helped Brian Brohm become a second round pick. He is slow & dumb. But obliviously since he was a 3rd round pick & EJ was a 1st rounder, Mallett must have more upside. :)

P.s. I take it back. There is one thing Mallett is better than EJ at. Doing coke. Mallett is a pro bowler in that department.

I guess that settles it. EJ is going to the HOF and Mallett is going down the toilet because he couldn't unseat Tom Brady.

Gotcha :)

I guess that settles it. EJ is going to the HOF and Mallett is going down the toilet because he couldn't unseat Tom Brady.

Gotcha :)

Who said EJ is going to the hall of fame? But it's kinda laughable that someone can claim a 3rd round pick who hasn't even played well in preseason had more upside than EJ.

It's just kinda sad how players aren't allowed to develop anymore. You killed McKelvin for years. If McKelvin was a free agent this year, he'd be getting a monster deal.

Who said EJ is going to the hall of fame? But it's kinda laughable that someone can claim a 3rd round pick who hasn't even played well in preseason had more upside than EJ.

It's just kinda sad how players aren't allowed to develop anymore. You killed McKelvin for years. If McKelvin was a free agent this year, he'd be getting a monster deal.

all true. But the lack of time to develop QB's is just brutal an i dont care for it with other positions . Leodis being a prime example for Bills fans. Kind of messed up the sport for me.

I think some of us are talking about Mallett as a projected backup/competition for EJ.

I'm not advocating dumping EJ at all.

People are losing their minds over this thread.

I have doubts Mallett is even better than Thad Lewis. But it's guys like Kirk Cousins & Mallett who drive me crazy because of some fans. They act like they are starter material when they were 3rd & 4th round picks and have done nothing in the NFL. It's perplexing.

But the last time we gave NE a draft pick for a slow, immobile, big qb it worked out pretty well. And I'd argue that Bledsoe had a slightly better resume than Mallett. :)

And I would be fine with this as well FTL. But the skeptic in me foresees neither. :( Let's hope!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't waste a pick on Murray or Mettenberger. Neither will see the field this year as they recover from ACL injuries. Meaning you go into 2015 without knowing whether either player is worth anything, meaning probably needing to draft another QB if EJ stumbles. But given the choice of spending a pick on Mallet or Murray/Mettenberger, I'd choose the latter.

I have doubts Mallett is even better than Thad Lewis. But it's guys like Kirk Cousins & Mallett who drive me crazy because of some fans. They act like they are starter material when they were 3rd & 4th round picks and have done nothing in the NFL. It's perplexing.

But the last time we gave NE a draft pick for a slow, immobile, big qb it worked out pretty well. And I'd argue that Bledsoe had a slightly better resume than Mallett. :)

I have doubts Mallet is better than Jeff Tuel. Again the Pats have been on the good end of a lot of blowouts, and they haven't seen fit to put Mallet on there. That tells me all I need to know.

Nope. The only way Belichick trades an assets is if he gets more than its worth. He only trades Mallett for a 3rd or better. If he was willing to trade Mallett within the division, I'd be worried at that.

You rarely fail to accept the idiocy of this organization. I am not less of a fan than you. The great thing about TBD is that it allows us to talk about the team we love. McKelvin? Check this out!

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2008

Who was drafted AFTER him? Clady and Albert. Are you really going to defend this dumb draft selection? Seriously? It's not like the Bills had a OL in place before this draft, let alone a quarterback.

I don't judge you for saluting stupidity. I think that Bills Fans cope in different ways. But please, think about what you are saying! If you think that McKelvin was worth a #11 with those great players right behind him, do ask yourself if you are talking football, or defending idiocy at all costs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills certainly could have drafted him. I wanted them to do so. I would not give up much for him as outside of arm strength what has he shown he has? His accuracy is questionable and he has no real NFL playing time. If he has anything in the tank the Pats keep him.

You rarely fail to accept the idiocy of this organization. I am not less of a fan than you. The great thing about TBD is that it allows us to talk about the team we love. McKelvin? Check this out!

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2008

Who was drafted AFTER him? Clady and Albert. Are you really going to defend this dumb draft selection? Seriously? It's not like the Bills had a OL in place before this draft, let alone a quarterback.

I don't judge you for saluting stupidity. I think that Bills Fans cope in different ways. But please, think about what you are saying! If you think that McKelvin was worth a #11 with those great players right behind him, do ask yourself if you are talking football, or defending idiocy at all costs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) I know you're a great fan. Never have doubt that for a second.

2) you are old school. I respect that. But IMO, you're thinking is outdated. Corners might be more valuable than most offensive linemen. If Albert was so great, why aren't the Chiefs locking him up instead of letting him walk for nothing? They tried to trade him last year & got no good offers.

Clady, who might be the best LT, missed the entire year. Denver set offensive records & made the SB. Offensive linemen are overrated in today's NFL. Obviously, you need good ones but it's not the top priority like once was.

3) you have a tendency to fall in love with players. We all do. But you are biased towards Alabama & SEC players. Generally a good idea but college is not the pros. Mallett hasn't shown anything where he had more upside than EJ. EJ threw for nearly 300 yards and led a comeback W against the #2 defense in the NFL. He left the game with a lead against NE in his first start. He had maybe his best game in a wind storm without his two top Wrs against one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL. Mallett hasn't played good in preseason.

If Murray was there in the 3rd or later, I'd be fine with. But you're way too hard on EJ & I believe are putting the failing of the Bills on him. He played like a rookie learning the hardest position in sports while struggling with injuries. EJ has only missed the playoffs once. The Bills have missed them 14 years.