Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey look at that--another marquee Bills player leaves town.

Now, I just need a Chris Brown report from mini camp saying Duke Williams looks "quick, explosive, and hungry," interspersed with a quote or two from maybe Gilmore (?) saying that Duke's "a ballhawk", and I'll be texting my friends something along the lines of: "you know, it might not be that bad that Byrd left..."

Throw into that something along the lines of a laser of a pass from EJ against the Giants third stringers in the second quarter of the hall of fame game (when Marrone keeps him in for an extra quarter,) that results in Woods running in untouched to cut the lead to 17-7;

Mix in an ESPN.com fantasy report saying "Spiller could be one to watch this season as he looks to be fully recovered from a high ankle sprain that limited his explosiveness in 2013"

And add a final touch of the Bills leading for most of game 1, opening week in Miami, only to give up a last second touchdown pass from Tannehil to lose 24-21,

And I estimate that right around October I'll be on here saying:

"if we win or next 7, that week 17 home game against the Jets will be to put us at 9-7 and steal a wild card spot", and Byrd will be a forgotten memory, just like

Whitner

Lynch

Greer

Poz

Levitre

et. al

Seriously, why bother? Seriously. Slitting your wrists may be preferable to rooting for this team.

GO BILLS!!!

We should get on the phone with the Rams and see if they would like to swap picks and we will give them Byrd in the process. So we would tag Byrd then give him to the Rams for the number 2 overall pick and they could have our 9th and we can get Clowney. The Rams would still have two first round picks and we wouldn't lose any picks in the process or do it with Cleveland since they also have two first rounders. The only reason why I brought up the Rams is because I think they would be more likely in trading back than the Browns would because I don't think the Browns are gonna want to possibly miss out on a QB at 4

I doubt that this would happen, but talking to the Rams would be a good idea, as I believe they need Safety help.

Whitner

Lynch

Greer

Poz

Levitre

et. al

I will agree that Lynch is a "marquee" player. Greer is good. Poz sucks and Levitre wanted tackle money to play guard. Is there such thing as a "marquee" guard? I'm not sure. And Whitner? Really?

I doubt that this would happen, but talking to the Rams would be a good idea, as I believe they need Safety help.

Hard to imagine the Bills would not be doing their due-diligence in this matter...I'm as negative about this team as anybody at times...But exhausting every trade option seems like it would be a given...

Or maybe I should say...It better be a given... B-)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result.

14 years without the playoffs. Ample cap room. But we're thinking about letting another talented player go just because he won't sign on the cheap?

I'm sorry, but if Whaley can't even get this one deal done, looks like the new boss is the same as the old boss.

If Bills don't tag Byrd, the only plausible explanation is that they agreed with he and his agent last year not to tag him again. It's a no lose proposition for the Bills to tag and trade -- crap, they could trade him for a 7th rounder -- what am I missing ? What is downside to tag and trade vs. letting him walk ??

There is not a downside, but, the Bills are also on record as saying that they made no promises about using the cap again.

Another way to look at it is, look at EVERYTHING, try to be objective, and tell me why WOULD he sign with the Bills unless it is going to be the top 1-2 overall safety contracts. There is every reason to believe he can get that on the open market. There is every reason to believe that he can get that from a team that has won more games lately and doesn't have a QB, front office or coaching issue. There is every reason to believe the Bills offer now will still be on the table later or be upped.

OK, I'm sold. Now, explain why the Bills won't tag him. I dare you to convince me that this is a good idea.

I will agree that Lynch is a "marquee" player. Greer is good. Poz sucks and Levitre wanted tackle money to play guard. Is there such thing as a "marquee" guard? I'm not sure. And Whitner? Really?

Yeah, no such thing as a marquee guard. Evan Mathis, Marshal Yanda, Mike Iupati and Carl Nicks are dominant players, but if you ask casual football fans who they are, I doubt they'd recognize the names. But the same is true for most OL positions.

As much as people want to laud Byrd, he has had it here and wants to pursue free agency no matter what. It sounds like the contract the Bills offered was more than fair, and Byrd and Parker in the end are just resentful of the front office.

Time to let the Byrd finally fly the coop, and fix this team offensively. So glad that the Bills learned from the inane Stevie contract and didn't keep a player just to keep him.

Thankfully this is NOT business as usual, despite what you doomsayers think. Overpaying for a safety that won't get us at least 8 wins is terrible anyways.

There is not a downside, but, the Bills are also on record as saying that they made no promises about using the cap again.

OK, I'm sold. Now, explain why the Bills won't tag him. I dare you to convince me that this is a good idea.

I can't. I can't think of one reason why the Bills wouldn't tag him.

Okay, so there is one, but it's not a good one. The Bills put their best offer out there and say we believe in you, and we want you to be a Bill and we want you to remember this when all the offers are out there and you have to choose who you really want to play for. We could have tagged you but we know you didnt want that and that shows our conviction and our decency.

I don't think that's a great let alone good reason not to, but it's possible.

Ive honestly come to grips with reality, knowing,this franchise will be nothing more then losers! Sad fact is that their culture has taken over how i feel about them, their losing ways, ect....i expect,nothing less nothing more.....

I just dont care anymore....

According to wgr and SB nation Byrd is going to walk. No tag no compensation this year. Did someone mention Steve Littman a few days ago.? Whenever you hear the words Overdorf or Littman bad stuff happens.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result.

14 years without the playoffs. Ample cap room. But we're thinking about letting another talented player go just because he won't sign on the cheap?

I'm sorry, but if Whaley can't even get this one deal done, looks like the new boss is the same as the old boss.

How is 10 mil a year for the first 3 years on the cheap?

How is this Whaley's fault when he has clearly made what I think is a good offer.

I guess Byrd and Parker have no fault in this either

eric berry's contract 6 years, 60 million. Offer that to Byrd

Exactly, then cut him after three.

Now, people will say but they're offering him that already! 10m for 3 is the same thing.

No, it's not. This is all about bragging rights. And that is not frivolous.

Players leave even good teams. If his time is up here, they won't have a safety that is as good. Instead they need to get better in other ways. Every team has to do these things, it's a constant process.

Turnover is something that teams need to deal with each season, but there is no reason for Byrd to simply walk away. The Bills have 2 years to fill that slot. Take care of others this off season.

I very much doubt they offered him top dollar and he still said no. Their version of top dollar maybe. But even so, disregard that, they still could trade him. Even if it isn't going well on that front now. He's not going to sign the tender until the last minute. You drop it late in the game if you dont want to force him to like last year. You keep him another year if he does, and you try to trade him. Teams needs change all the time.

What else is there to think when he rejected an offer paying him $30 million over the first 3 years? Let me guess, they really offered him $3 million over the first 3 years...and continue on with the cheap nonsense?