Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

From the player's perspective they usually get one contract after the rookie deal, to get paid. Many never reach a third contract. Therefore he's not a jerk, nor is he trashing Buffalo. I'm hopeful we meet him somewhere in the middle and retain him.

One of our biggest problems is we keep losing our talent to other teams and they flourish somewhere else. Figure it out and the isea first that any team would give us a first is crazy. In addition, why take a risk on a draft pick when you have a known commodity in Byrd.

Meet in the middle? You are describing normal negotiating processes.

Eugene Parker does not operate under that set of guidelines.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Dude felt insulted by the approx. 7 million year offered to him. Then he sat out for like 5 games for something he had half a year to take care of and heal. I know he's one of the best, but that is some straight up bullsh*t. There are a lot of elite players in the league that would never pull that crap

7 mil is a lot of money ...but the market dictates what his worth is and that market says he deserves more. its pretty simple. and then asking him to risk everything and play on a 1 year deal and risk injury is retarded the bills FO should have tried to negotiate with him 2 years ago.

Marrone wants coaches and players who want to be here. The message he sent to all pro Dareus makes that even more clear. It's up to Byrd , holding out from training camp was a bad vibe to me.

if thats the case his coaching stint will be very short. the % of players that would WANT to be in buffalo given the chance to play in a warm weather city or a team with a winning tradition would be single digits for sure.

TAG & TRADE

the bills will tag Byrd for the second year in a row. THEY WILL NOT TAG HIM A THIRD YEAR IN A ROW because they will have to pay a 144% increase or the average of the top 5 highest paid QB's in the previous season....yes I said quarterbacks.

Parker & Byrd will not accept any offers, will not sign the tender, will not report and will do whatever it takes to get to Free Agency. expect a repeat of last year. except this year the bills will blink and trade him.

TAG & TRADE

the bills will tag Byrd for the second year in a row. THEY WILL NOT TAG HIM A THIRD YEAR IN A ROW because they will have to pay a 144% increase or the average of the top 5 highest paid QB's in the previous season....yes I said quarterbacks.

Parker & Byrd will not accept any offers, will not sign the tender, will not report and will do whatever it takes to get to Free Agency. expect a repeat of last year. except this year the bills will blink and trade him.

ah!!! I remember a year ago when I was claiming all these things as well. And everyone wanted to hang me. The fact that your thoughts are the same as many others this year. Just took a season for people to realize.

I beat my drum a year ago so hard that I want apologies now. I know I won't get em, I'll just bask in the facts that I was right. Byrd didn't hold out until week 10 like I thought, he just had a "nagging injury" that kept him out for quite a few weeks and then kept his play limited for a few more.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/2/14/5398908/2014-nfl-free-agency-eagles-safety-search-jairus-byrd Of course, this doesn't indicate what the Iggles would be willing to give in trade...but an interesting landing spot nonetheless.

yup. Right on brother. It's a great match and our possible way to receive more than Byrds value in a trade. Kelly could want Byrd so much that he's OMG to give up a 1st and 2nd if he thinks he's a piece away from taking a shot at the whole Shabang.

How about Denver as a possible landing spot as well? Their window is closing so they really have to sellout to try to win now. Byrd is a guy that could certainly help them a lot more than a rookie. Just a thought

after getting destroyed in the big game by a team with a dominant defense, you could be into something. However, they could be thinking that their defense will be much better next season as they get some injured players back. Their defensive backs were a mess late in the season, and of course your missing Von Miller and his sack numbers.

How about Denver as a possible landing spot as well? Their window is closing so they really have to sellout to try to win now. Byrd is a guy that could certainly help them a lot more than a rookie. Just a thought

I don't think they have the cap space for him Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't get the Byrd hatred by some. He has been a great player for us. He's been a top tier safety since the first day he stepped on the field. It can be argued that he's now the best safety in the game. So he decided last year that he wants to get paid what he has earned. What's wrong with that?

Some will say that he was selfish for not playing through his plantar fasciitis last year like he has in the past. Question is, why should he have? After they weren't willing to pay him what he earned, why should he want to risk injury for the organization that wouldn't pay him? I'm sure there have been enough examples of what could happen if he did, just look at Dustin Keller. Get injured on a one year franchise tag, and he's possibly missing out on an extra 20 million in guaranteed money that usually comes with long term deals.

Some will say he's a jerk because he doesn't appreciate that he gets to play a game and shouldn't cry about being underpaid when he makes a lot more than the average person. This is ridiculous to me. This isn't a game to them, it is their job. They need to look out for themselves and their family and no one else. It's also amazing how some people have such a crude business mentality when it comes to the team cutting players but then get angry when the player treats it as a business. Just look at the dozens of Stevie threads. The guy for two years extremely outplayed his rookie 7th round pick contract. In 2010 he was the highest rated value player in the league. He gets the contract he earned, has one down year, and now a lot of fans want to cut him or trade him because his production didn't meet his salary in one year. Did anyone support him holding out after he completely outperformed his contract in his breakout year? I doubt it.

There's also the fact that he admittedly is sick of playing in a new defensive scheme every year. Can't blame him there. It's not as easy to overlook being unhappy about certain aspects of any job if you are not getting what you think you deserve.

Rant over.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Denver is projected to have $11 mil in cap space.

http://www.spotrac.c...-cap-space-420/

I'm aware... I don't think a 9m FS will fit their budget. They can't even afford to sign their own FAs. They will probably let Decker and Moreno walk unless Decker doesn't get a decent offer, but their issues are on the OL if they are going to win the SB (or even get back)and it is a bit of a mess right now. They also need to sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Shaun Phillips who are both FAs and will command some decent $ after the years they just had.... plus Julius Thomas, Demariyus Thomas are both FAs next year and will need to save cap space for that. I think they will stick with their young free safeties who have played well - Rahim Moore and Duke Ihenacho. But who knows, right...

They won't draft a FS, IMO. Ihenacho was a UDFA and a real surprise. Moore is only going into his 3rd year. Best remembered for his colossal mistake in the Ravens playoff game last year, but really not a bad safety at all. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't get the Byrd hatred by some. He has been a great player for us. He's been a top tier safety since the first day he stepped on the field. It can be argued that he's now the best safety in the game. So he decided last year that he wants to get paid what he has earned. What's wrong with that?

Some will say that he was selfish for not playing through his plantar fasciitis last year like he has in the past. Question is, why should he have? After they weren't willing to pay him what he earned, why should he want to risk injury for the organization that wouldn't pay him? I'm sure there have been enough examples of what could happen if he did, just look at Dustin Keller. Get injured on a one year franchise tag, and he's possibly missing out on an extra 20 million in guaranteed money they usually comes with long term deals.

Some will say he's a jerk because he doesn't appreciate that he gets to play a game and shouldn't cry about being underpaid when he makes a lot more than the average person. This is ridiculous to me. This isn't a game to them, it is their job. They need to look out for themselves and their family, no one else. It's also amazing how some people have such a crude business mentality when it comes to the team cutting players but then get angry when the player treats it as a business. Just look at the dozens of Stevie threads. The guy for two years extremely outplayed his rookie 7th round pick contract. In 2010 he was the highest rated value player in the league. He gets the contract he earned, has one down year, and now a lot of fans want to cut him or trade him because his production didn't meet his salary year. Did anyone support him holding out after he completely outperformed his contract in his breakout year? I doubt it.

There's also the fact that he admittedly is sick of playing in a new defensive scheme every year. Can't blame him there. It's not as easy to overlook being unhappy skit certain aspects of any job if you are not getting what you think you deserve.

Rant over.

I couldn't agree more Kiko. The "be happy that you get paid to play" mentality dries me nuts!! By at my biggest pet peeve when people talk sports. The market determines what you are worth and there is little to no protection for NFL players in terms of their contract.

Does it drive anyone else crazy that his name is spelled wrong in the title of this thread, or just me?

:lol: I didn't even notice til you mentioned it but yes. It's spelled how most announcers pronounce it, which bugs me as well.

I couldn't agree more Kiko. The "be happy that you get paid to play" mentality dries me nuts!! By at my biggest pet peeve when people talk sports. The market determines what you are worth and there is little to no protection for NFL players in terms of their contract.

It amazes me that with how much more of a profit the league makes over other professional sports, it is the only one that doesn't guarantee contracts. Maybe it's because of how many players are on each team? Anyone have any idea on why this is?

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

It amazes me that with how much more of a profit the league makes over other professional sports, it is the only one that doesn't guarantee contracts. See the Amare Stoudamire and Albert Pujols contracts. Maybe it's because of how many players are on each team. Anyone have any idea on why this is?

It's because the union (excuse me, Player's association) is so weak compared to ownership. Baseball is the exact opposite. Edited by Kirby Jackson

$10m plus per year? Gotta figure Parker wants more than Berry in guaranteed money.

See ya, Jairus

I mean after they get another year out of you at 8.3.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team....

We were 6-10 with BYRD . How many wins did he play in ? We were 6-10 . Nuff said. We need a lot more than one player.

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show. Edited by YoloinOhio

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team.

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show.

Not in my opinion. He's too limited physically; just not an elite athletic specimen at the position. If Dareus can get and keep his head out of his ass, he's FAR more valuable simply by virtue of his proximity to the ball on every snap and the superior talent he possesses when he decides he wants to bring it. And while Spiller regressed last year, that was mostly due to his lingering high ankle issues. If it means losing them both vs. keeping Byrd, I vote letting Byrd go.

After we tag him one more season.

GO BILLS!!!

Not in my opinion. He's too limited physically; just not an elite athletic specimen at the position. If Dareus can get and keep his head out of his ass, he's FAR more valuable simply by virtue of his proximity to the ball on every snap and the superior talent he possesses when he decides he wants to bring it. And while Spiller regressed last year, that was mostly due to his lingering high ankle issues. If it means losing them both vs. keeping Byrd, I vote letting Byrd go.

After we tag him one more season.

GO BILLS!!!

On this team though... as it seems the coaches may already have an issue with Dareus and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is... I agree they are both extremely talented (both top 10 draft picks) but wonder how that is playing out internally...

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team....

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show.

Until we spend anywhere near the cap, I'd say it's not a major concern with regards to losing players. Every year we hear about how we can't sign X player or we will lose tons of guys, yet we haven't had to make a single true "we'd love to have you and the price is fair but we can't afford it" cap cut in a decade. Call me crazy but lets get a little risky and spend to the limit.

On this team though... as it seems the coaches may already have an issue with Dareus and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is... I agree they are both extremely talented (both top 10 draft picks) but wonder how that is playing out internally...

Agree the Dareus situation bears watching.

I'm hoping Spiller can get healthy and have a rebound season.

And I wasn't really at all surprised to see Hackett and Co. seemingly unsure how to use him. I fully expected them to take the better half of a season before they figured out what they had and how they all worked together. The musical chairs at QB all season really derailed a lot of what they wanted to implement.

GO BILLS!!!

One thing at a time. If the Bills don't make a real offer to Byrd, I will have serious concerns about this "new" front office. For the fiftieth time, you DO NOT let elite talent in their prime go and improve your team...

Is a "real offer" anything less than what he's seeking? If he's seeking $10m plus as mentioned above, is $9m a "real offer?"

GO BILLS!!!

Is a "real offer" anything less than what he's seeking? If he's seeking $10m plus as mentioned above, is $9m a "real offer?"

GO BILLS!!!

Give him what he wants. It's not my money! I want a real team again. Even if you make him the highest paid safety in the NFL, next year, someone will get more. By his third year, he's making average coin again...

The more things change, the more they remain the same at OBD.

2007 CB Nate Clements (franchised and not re-signed)

2007 LB London Fletcher (left in UFA)

2007 RB Willis McGahee (traded to Baltimore for picks that became Trent Edwards, a pick that was used to acquire Marcus Stroud, and C.J. Ah You)

2009 CB Jabari Greer (left in UFA)

2009 LT Jason Peters (traded to Philadelphia for picks that became Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson and Danny Batten; immediately signed to long term contract)

2010 RB Marshawn Lynch (traded to Seattle for picks that became Chris Hairston and Tank Carder)

2011 LB Paul Posluszny (left in UFA)

2013 OG Andy Levitre (left in UFA)

2014 FS Jairus Byrd?

The cost of being competitive seems too high for this organization. It'd be one thing if they had other priority free agents to sign or were close to the cap, but they weren't faced with either challenge from 2007-2014. If Byrd departs, the only decent draft this franchise has had in the past 5 years will have lost 2 of the 3 starters taken that year.

Edited by BillsVet

The more things change, the more they remain the same at OBD.

2007 CB Nate Clements (franchised and not re-signed)

2007 LB London Fletcher (left in UFA)

2007 RB Willis McGahee (traded to Baltimore for picks that became Trent Edwards, a pick that was used to acquire Marcus Stroud, and C.J. Ah You)

2009 CB Jabari Greer (left in UFA)

2009 LT Jason Peters (traded to Philadelphia for picks that became Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson and Danny Batten; immediately signed to long term contract)

2010 RB Marshawn Lynch (traded to Seattle for picks that became Chris Hairston and Tank Carder)

2011 LB Paul Posluszny (left in UFA)

2013 OG Andy Levitre (left in UFA)

2014 FS Jairus Byrd?

The cost of being competitive seems too high for this organization. It'd be one thing if they had other priority free agents to sign or were close to the cap, but they weren't faced with either challenge from 2007-2014. If Byrd departs, the only decent draft this franchise has had in the past 5 years will have lost 2 of the 3 starters taken that year.

You can do the exact same thing for every team and it would look like what you typed. (you forgot Winfield and Big Pat) Go ahead and start with the Patriots from the year they dealt Seymour. Every team in the league drafts guys and signs guys that they don't keep for various reasons. Are you implying that keeping Nate Clements was smart for the Bills? Or Willis or Lynch the nightmare teammates?

I hated to see Levitre go, and Greer and Poz. But every team has good guys go elsewhere all the time, it's a reality of the league.

... and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is...

How do you use a speed RB with only one leg? He was playing hurt all year. Every time he got in and got a decent run, he'd have to hobble off. Let him heel up that high ankle sprain and he'll be fine.

Give him what he wants. It's not my money! I want a real team again. Even if you make him the highest paid safety in the NFL, next year, someone will get more. By his third year, he's making average coin again...

Give him what he wants plus 10%. You win with talent, not cheap guys. I swear, some of yall sound like Ralph, cheap.

I find it funny that the issue that will ultimately drive me from this board (not that my presence matters) is people comparing what they make to athletes. Yes, in an ideal world income inequality would be a lot smaller but we don't live there so it doesn't matter. If fans are really rustled about the earnings of athletes they should stop watching/going to games/buying memorabilia since that is what generates the revenue, it won't matter but at least I won't have to listen to it anymore. NFL players are lucky to get ONE large deal and to not take advantage would be foolish. I hope Byrd resigns but I won't blame him if he leaves as long as he doesn't do anything to hurt the team. I don't think he was wrong to sit out with PF last season since he was under a one year deal and had played through it the year before in hopes of getting a big contract.

We were 6-10 with BYRD . How many wins did he play in ? We were 6-10 . Nuff said. We need a lot more than one player.

But he is one of our better players. With your logic we went 6-10 with Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams.......