Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Correct me if I am wrung. Isn't the new CBA forbidding talks/contract/whatever until the start of a new league year for Franchise Tagged players?

correction: he can negotiate with the bills from the close of the season (not the league year, the last game of last season) until free agency.

bye bye Birdie

he wants too much money..... $9 mil per season is ludicrous for a FS.

if he was worth $9 mil per season teams would be lining up to trade for him... No teams stepped up last year and I don't see other teams lining up this year to pay Byrd what he is asking for

we were allegedly offered trades of mid round picks. that contract AND a 1st rounder is a lot for a team though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

correction: he can negotiate with the bills from the close of the season (not the league year, the last game of last season) until free agency.

we were allegedly offered trades of mid round picks. that contract AND a 1st rounder is a lot for a team though.

Help me to understand that. If a player is THAT good AND you are willing to pay him top dollar, why is the 1st round pick such an exhorbitant cost on top of it? Does it depend on where that pick falls in the draft? Would it be more reasonable for say, Denver to throw in a first because it's a late pick in the round vs. the Redskins? And is a high 1st gonna be a guaranteed All Pro player anyway?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Help me to understand that. If a player is THAT good AND you are willing to pay him top dollar, why is the 1st round pick such an exhorbitant cost on top of it? Does it depend on where that pick falls in the draft? Would it be more reasonable for say, Denver to throw in a first because it's a late pick in the round vs. the Redskins? And is a high 1st gonna be a guaranteed All Pro player anyway?

GO BILLS!!!

because you could sign someone nearly as good AND add a first round talent at the same overall cost? IE TJ Ward in free agency plus a first round player may be more appealing than simply byrd, but TJ Ward and a 4th rounder added to your roster you may as well go get the better player in byrd, as an example?

i feel like i must be misunderstanding your question, as the answer seems obvious, and hard to debate.

to take it to the next step...

We allegedly got offers for trades last year that we turned down. Some team out there would seemingly be willing to give him a contract and give up a mid round pick, but not a high round pick. i wont assert its fully accurate but if those teams thought they were going to be able to sign him, then byrd must be asking for just about the upper limit of what any team would be willing to give up contractually, as they wouldnt want to commit much more in resources, but would be willing to make the move possibly... the jump (and an admitted jump) being that parker has probably priced his contract pretty perfectly at the top edge of what hed get in free agency, or market value, since a team would potentially be willing to do the dollars, but not dollars plus a high pick.

Edited by NoSaint

What about using Byrd to move up as an option? Byrd and 9 to St. Louis as an example? If they are looking OT they may be able to get something like Byrd, Matthews and still have another 1st in the draft. The Bills could get to 2 and take Watkins if they like him as much as Buddy Nixon says. It's just a thought...

Edited by Kirby Jackson

some of you are real weirdos. arguably the bills best defensive player and you guys wanna run him out of town for wanting to be paid what he's worth... seriously some insane rational going on around here. i love the if he doesn't wanna play here lets trade the TYRD guys. no one wants to play in buffalo if you can play in a warm weather city or place with a winning tradition. not to mention the tax issues bills players pay for being the only actual NY team. guys wanna be in the NFL but news flash to you guys...BUFFALO is not a place young pro athletes wanna play. anyway the bills should do what needs to be done to retain byrd.

let me guess, your in your late 20s and moved from Buffalo after high school and haven't come back beside the occasional fantasy football draft, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 1 Bills game a year in September.

Amiright?

some of you are real weirdos. arguably the bills best defensive player and you guys wanna run him out of town for wanting to be paid what he's worth... seriously some insane rational going on around here. i love the if he doesn't wanna play here lets trade the TYRD guys. no one wants to play in buffalo if you can play in a warm weather city or place with a winning tradition. not to mention the tax issues bills players pay for being the only actual NY team. guys wanna be in the NFL but news flash to you guys...BUFFALO is not a place young pro athletes wanna play. anyway the bills should do what needs to be done to retain byrd.

Mario Williams wanted to play here... so what are you resting on now? Paying what he is worth? For us, playing a safety that money is counterproductive and hurts our progress in other areas. Tax bills? I'm sure that Thurman and Jimbo would argue the taxes aren't that big of a deal if you get an NFL salary. Give me a break. Overpaying for a safety is just a bad move, considering who we could get with that money. Our coach isn't Dick Jauron, you know.

Completely agree. Just see too many obstacles. He probably wants to leave. Other teams will pay more. His agent and the Bills don't have a great history together. You can't blame the player for wanting to explore his options.

The chances of Byrd being in Buffalo next year are about zero. He's a jerk, his agent is a bigger jerk and if the Bills franchise him again he'll play less than he did this year due to attitude. That and 10 other teams will want him. That and it's not cool to play in Buffalo. I'd love to be wrong about all of this.

I love that you're in fact keeping the faith, I've never heard him say he doesn't like Buffalo, but maybe he does...what about the transition tag?

What about Byrd and our 2nd for Sue? There was a article about how he was making too much and could be a trade possibility? Maybe he follows Swartz and restructures his contract only to realize that this could be the best defensive line in history. Williams Williams Sue Dareus=72 sacks

Edited by Iowabillsfan4life

I don't understand your point here. Are you referring to the over usage of the qualifier "franchise" when describing a player's value to his team? You are arguing semantics.

Okay, so what would you call a player who is very clearly one of the best at his position? I'm okay with however you want to describe Byrd, but my main point remains the same. His trade value on the open market is far greater (IMO) than many folks on here would admit to. Especially given this weak safety class, and the high demand for quality players at the position.

Yes. Safety isn't a "franchise" position. He may be "franchised"....

Anyway. no matter what you call him, his trade value is not likely a 1st round pick.

I would argue that he's not the best player on the D. I would give that to Mario or even Kiko--who has been a huge impact player and he's just learning the game. Byrd is good as he is going get.

So if Byrd said it's gonna cost $100 million to keep him in Buffalo, you say "pay it"?

Also, the guys playing in New Jersey are paying about the same state taxes as the Bills--and Bills players only pay NYS taxes on the 7 home games.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The chances of Byrd being in Buffalo next year are about zero. He's a jerk, his agent is a bigger jerk and if the Bills franchise him again he'll play less than he did this year due to attitude. That and 10 other teams will want him. That and it's not cool to play in Buffalo. I'd love to be wrong about all of this.

My cousin's father's good friend from high school is friends with Byrd's sister's father's son, and he told me that Byrd is interested in staying in Buffalo now that he heard we're getting a new stadium on the waterfront.

What about Byrd and our 2nd for Sue? There was a article about how he was making too much and could be a trade possibility? Maybe he follows Swartz and restructures his contract only to realize that this could be the best defensive line in history. Williams Williams Sue Dareus=72 sacks

except you would have 3 DTs on the same line. When only one of them is actually a good DT

Only one would be good? Explain to me which one was not in the Pro Bowl last year? Well Dareus could move to DE

your pretty new around here so you probably don't understand my dislike for Kyle Williams. He's a good player, but not a good DT. IMO, even in the most "Tampa 2ish" defense possible where the DT is supposed to pressure the QB he's still supposed to be able to stop the run. I'll hold right into the fact that we have had some of the worst run defenses in the NFL in years and he's the only constant on that defensive line. I don't know how to differentiate between players who's assignments are whose and what not because I don't know defensive linemen that well. But one thing I do know is that a DT is there to take up blockers and clog the running lanes and our running defense is horrible and he's a constant.

It I would not knock that trade or defensive line. Personally, I'd move Kyle to LE, Mario to RE, and have Dareus and Suh in at DT.

your pretty new around here so you probably don't understand my dislike for Kyle Williams. He's a good player, but not a good DT. IMO, even in the most "Tampa 2ish" defense possible where the DT is supposed to pressure the QB he's still supposed to be able to stop the run. I'll hold right into the fact that we have had some of the worst run defenses in the NFL in years and he's the only constant on that defensive line. I don't know how to differentiate between players who's assignments are whose and what not because I don't know defensive linemen that well. But one thing I do know is that a DT is there to take up blockers and clog the running lanes and our running defense is horrible and he's a constant.

It I would not knock that trade or defensive line. Personally, I'd move Kyle to LE, Mario to RE, and have Dareus and Suh in at DT.

I agree Kyle would be a better fit at DE. Man we wouldn't have to blitz hardly 20% of snaps. Does that trade value seem out of reach?

I agree Kyle would be a better fit at DE. Man we wouldn't have to blitz hardly 20% of snaps. Does that trade value seem out of reach?

no idea. Probably depends in how much of a malcontent Suh is in Detroit and if they need to move him or he becomes a problem.

Either way, although I'd love it if it happened, I don't see it happening. Blockbuster trades like this don't happen.

no idea. Probably depends in how much of a malcontent Suh is in Detroit and if they need to move him or he becomes a problem.

Either way, although I'd love it if it happened, I don't see it happening. Blockbuster trades like this don't happen.

I seen SUE was due to be at 21 million and Detroit needs to cut slot of salary. I thought with that hanging over their head they could still get a play maker in Byrd for 8 million and Draft a DT. Maybe SUE liked Swartz so much that he would restructure his deal. Lions have a new coach and no relationship so maybe doesn't even think about that in Detroit.

let me guess, your in your late 20s and moved from Buffalo after high school and haven't come back beside the occasional fantasy football draft, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 1 Bills game a year in September.

Amiright?

nope

Mario Williams wanted to play here... so what are you resting on now? Paying what he is worth? For us, playing a safety that money is counterproductive and hurts our progress in other areas. Tax bills? I'm sure that Thurman and Jimbo would argue the taxes aren't that big of a deal if you get an NFL salary. Give me a break. Overpaying for a safety is just a bad move, considering who we could get with that money. Our coach isn't Dick Jauron, you know.

mario wanted to be the highest paid defensive player and no other team had the money they bills had in that year of free agency along with his wanting to play in a 43 and LE. he made it clear he didn't wanna play in a 34.

thurman ad jimbo played in a pre salary cap/freeagency type of NFL. you can't really compare the eras and if you don't remember jim kelly also took a dump all over buffalo and played in houston and was forced into the bills when the usfl collapsed. does he love it now? sure but when he was a young pro he thought it was terrible.

Yes. Safety isn't a "franchise" position. He may be "franchised"....

Anyway. no matter what you call him, his trade value is not likely a 1st round pick.

I would argue that he's not the best player on the D. I would give that to Mario or even Kiko--who has been a huge impact player and he's just learning the game. Byrd is good as he is going get.

So if Byrd said it's gonna cost $100 million to keep him in Buffalo, you say "pay it"?

Also, the guys playing in New Jersey are paying about the same state taxes as the Bills--and Bills players only pay NYS taxes on the 7 home games.

no i don't think you pay him 100 million hahah what kind of argument is that? you may have said million trillion billion.. he wants to be the top paid safety in the league but that really doesn't mean that much because the next year earl thomas will become the highest paid safety.

well new jersey is also a lot closer to NYC and is a ton more attractive than buffalo is for a young professional athlete.

Edited by 808

its such a strange thing to me that the bills are not in any financially strapped burden as money goes. they drafted one of the best free safeties in the league and should resign him.

for the people saying its not a position you pay big money too then why even bother drafting those positions so early? byrd has been great here and the bills should reward him with a contract because he has played like a top safety. drafting players that exceed all expectations and then letting them walk away for no reason besides not wanting to pay the money to the player that won't financially strap you is insanity. its almost like you want to draft players who are just good not great so you can pay them less...even tho you have lots of cap space and money to sign them. that might be the definition of insanity

I'm just as excited about him leaving. Our offense needs major work, and our defense is almost there. That's a lot of cash to free up to go after someone.

Don't share my opinion? Too bad. Didn't want Stevie back, don't want Byrd back.

Lol yeah because teams that spend a lot in free agency are perennial Super Bowl champs and teams that keep players they drafted always suck.

Insanity.

Thank you for bringing a smile on this freezing morning after yet more snow! :) Your post has some merit mind you, but coming from a poster with your screen name makes it GREAT, something Bills Fans can understand.

OK, other NFL Fans get to see their team win football games, but they miss out on a huge amount of comedy!!! :)

why is byrd a jerk? cause he's not doing what you want? lol unreal.

The Dude felt insulted by the approx. 7 million year offered to him. Then he sat out for like 5 games for something he had half a year to take care of and heal. I know he's one of the best, but that is some straight up bullsh*t. There are a lot of elite players in the league that would never pull that crap

maybe tag and trade him for an RT (Eagles have great OL and terrible safeties....) freeing us up to take a pass catcher in round one and a guard or safety in rd 2

YEAH! Maybe we could get that Jason Peters fellow, I heard he's pretty good, and like Buffalo as well.

I have posted it before on here but I was told that Minnesota's 4th was the best offer that the Bills received for Byrd.

Assuming that's true, it's worth remembering that the Bills shopped him well into the season, in October. By that time, it's going to take Byrd time to pick up the system and the season's basically over.

If they shop him in March or April they might get an awful lot more. That way he'd be available for training camp. They might get more or they might not, but there's no reason to think that an offer made in the middle of the season would indicate the maximum of what you'd get if you offer at a time that's a great deal better for other teams.

Well, that's certainly one guess.

I'd argue that you're wrong and that he is the best player on that defense. You're absolutely without question wrong that he is as good as he's going to get. He's played four and three quarters years in the league so far. Committed players at that part of their career mostly do get better as they get more experience. Particularly players who played at a very high level the year before having basically missed training camp.

The Dude felt insulted by the approx. 7 million year offered to him. Then he sat out for like 5 games for something he had half a year to take care of and heal. I know he's one of the best, but that is some straight up bullsh*t. There are a lot of elite players in the league that would never pull that crap

Did he really feel insulted? I would say disappointed. The average NFL career is about 3 years and any given play can end like it did for Dustin Keller last year. Often times the players get one chance at free agency to set their family up for a long, long time. A contract similar to Weddle (a player that I believe Byrd is better than) 5 years, $40M with $19M guaranteed would be fair. He's just seeking market value as we all are. I will never criticize NFL players for their contract negotiations or holding out. The NBA, NHL & MLB are different. You negotiated that deal and will see every dime of it regardless of your performance. The guarantee is all that matters in the NFL.

In terms if the heel I will give you that. I posted on here a while back (before the contract dispute) that Byrd had the reputation as a bit soft amongst the staff. I was wildly criticized for it and then he sat out the first 5 or so games.

It's his dad that is in his ear advising him with his injuries. He sits out with injuries much less severe then many others play with. It has been a source of frustration to the front office.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

No, DTs are not "there to take up blockers and clog the running lanes." Or rather, they are in some defenses and not in others.

Pettine was on record as saying that in his defense run stopping as well as pass rushing was all about aggression and getting to the ball. Kyle is one of the best in the league at that.

And the idea that because somebody's a constant he's the problem is ridiculous. By that argument the reason the Browns OL has been so bad the past four years or so must be that Joe Thomas sucks, as he's been there the whole time.

The problem in the run defense last year was the LBs.

Did he really feel insulted? I would say disappointed. The average NFL career is about 3 years and any given play can end like it did for Dustin Keller last year. Often times the players get one chance at free agency to set their family up for a long, long time. A contract similar to Weddle (a player that I believe Byrd is better than) 5 years, $40M with $19M guaranteed would be fair. He's just seeking market value as we all are. I will never criticize NFL players for their contract negotiations or holding our. The NBA, NHL & MLB are different. You negotiated that deal and will see every dime of it regardless of your performance. The guarantee is all that matters in the NFL.

In terms if the heel I will give you that. I posted on here a while back (before the contract dispute) that Byrd had the reputation as a bit soft amongst the staff. I was wildly criticized for it and then he sat out the first 5 or so games.

It's his dad that is in his ear advising him with his injuries. He sits out with injuries much less severe then many others play with. It has been a source of frustration to the front office.

In his first four years, Byrd sat out a total of two games, and those first two games were the first two of his rookie season. He wasn't injured, he just wasn't ready. He played through plantar fasciitis that last year of his first contract, and missed zero games from injury in his whole first contract.

"He sits out with injuries much less severe then many others play with"? Come on.

But you franchise a guy, put him in a position where he's got a one-year contract at lower than market value, making it a showcase year, then yeah of course you're likely going to get a guy who's not willing to show himself at less than his best.

Edited by Thurman#1

In his first four years, Byrd sat out a total of two games, and those first two games were the first two of his rookie season. He wasn't injured, he just wasn't ready. He played through plantar fasciitis that last year of his first contract, and missed zero games from injury in his whole first contract.

"He sits out with injuries much less severe then many others play with"? Come on.

But you franchise a guy, put him in a position where he's got a one-year contract at lower than market value, making it a showcase year, then yeah of course you're likely going to get a guy who's not willing to show himself at less than his best.

Again, that's the same reaction that I got last time I posted it. I am just telling you how the Bills view him when it comes to playing hurt (not how I feel). This was before the whole contract situation last year. I like Byrd and think that he is a great player. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Exactly

No, DTs are not "there to take up blockers and clog the running lanes." Or rather, they are in some defenses and not in others.

Pettine was on record as saying that in his defense run stopping as well as pass rushing was all about aggression and getting to the ball. Kyle is one of the best in the league at that.

And the idea that because somebody's a constant he's the problem is ridiculous. By that argument the reason the Browns OL has been so bad the past four years or so must be that Joe Thomas sucks, as he's been there the whole time.

The problem in the run defense last year was the LBs.

i won't disagree with yiu completely. You make a ton of sense. But you can't sit there and say with a straight face that the biggest players in any defensive line are not to take up space and stop the run. Yes it's true that in some defenses that the DTs are more about penetration and pressure in the QB vs clogging up running lanes. But that's hardly their only job. Kyle is a hit or miss player. He gets many sacks for his position and that is why he's a pro bowler. But nobody would be picking him as a big run stuffing DT in any defense.

Has he pulled himself from games or practices or such? I've never had the impression he's soft but I know Kirby is getting that from people in the know with regards to opinion in the building. Could be the people in the building are being ridiculous too, but I wouldn't get on Kirby for sharing the tidbit

From the player's perspective they usually get one contract after the rookie deal, to get paid. Many never reach a third contract. Therefore he's not a jerk, nor is he trashing Buffalo. I'm hopeful we meet him somewhere in the middle and retain him.

One of our biggest problems is we keep losing our talent to other teams and they flourish somewhere else. Figure it out and the isea first that any team would give us a first is crazy. In addition, why take a risk on a draft pick when you have a known commodity in Byrd.