Michael Sam is out.

agardin

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numark, I'm about done with you, you're not making any sense? What do you think a hypothesis is? More importantly, why do you see irony there? I question all methodology no matter what source or on any subject.

Tim-

Enough about all this--tell us more about that Japanese female android....

Edited by Mr. WEO

Numark, I'm about done with you, you're not making any sense? What do you think a hypothesis is? More importantly, why do you see irony there? I question all methodology no matter what source or on any subject.

Tim-

I'm not explaining everything but a true scientific hypothesis is something that can be tested by statistics, research, or some scientific method. A hypothesis that isn't testable isn't much of a hypothesis.

You were ironic because you keep talking about true science, and how psychology often brings poor research to the table. Yet here you are talking about the same thing you complain about. That's irony.

Feel free to be done with me. You are the one constantly quoting posts and responding with paragraph of borderline nonsense at times. I'm not saying you are right it wrong, and I think it's cool how into your theories you are, and how you love learning. But you need to start being more open to all research, don't discount entire fields, and for the love of god learn how to be more brief

So by that logic, you're not actually straight?

That is really not an insult well IMO that is.

Yes you are right. I have said it many times before and get pasted for it. Nobody is born either way. There are natural tendencies of course along with desires that make people feel good. It is about what the norm is and what deviant behavior outside that norm is. Simple as that. Do this, don't do that. Society isn't a fee for all. Being straight, as the word implies, is the baseline, the norm. One can practice outside the norm, but not given all the benefits that the norm provides.

Explain bisexuality.

I have no problem with our mores changing. I just don't think we are heading down the right road.

LOL, no matter one's interpretation of ancient texts, I think we can all agree that one DOES choose to be a moderator.

I don't know. I don't think Moses had much of a choice when Yahweh gave him the ToS for the Jews...

If there is a god, I don't believe he punishes us, especially not for actions which are harmless to other people / beings.

And you're a Bills fan?

Yes you are right. I have said it many times before and get pasted for it. Nobody is born either way. There are natural tendencies of course along with desires that make people feel good. It is about what the norm is and what deviant behavior outside that norm is. Simple as that. Do this, don't do that. Society isn't a fee for all. Being straight, as the word implies, is the baseline, the norm. One can practice outside the norm, but not given all the benefits that the norm provides.

Explain bisexuality.

I have no problem with our mores changing. I just don't think we are heading down the right road.

If I understand you correctly, you immediately contradicted yourself. Despite your outrage, you still agree with me. After a half dozen sentence fragments and non-sequiturs you need me to define bi-sexuality, and finally you think our cultural mores have changed for the worse but don't care to explain how?

What the hell are you talking about?

Edited by Jauronimo

Explain bisexuality.

Do you find women sexually attractive? Do you find men sexually attractive? I personally find women attractive. I can't imagine thinking one day, hey, I'm going to have sex with a dude, because it's outside of social norms.

Do you think that with all the bull **** gay people have to put up with that 10% of the population would willfully make a choice that goes against their biological nature? How about 70 years ago when getting caught in a gay relationship could land you in a god-damned psych ward?

Explain bisexuality? Some people are turned on by women and men. It's not !@#$ing hard to explain.

Do you find women sexually attractive? Do you find men sexually attractive? I personally find women attractive. I can't imagine thinking one day, hey, I'm going to have sex with a dude, because it's outside of social norms.

Do you think that with all the bull **** gay people have to put up with that 10% of the population would willfully make a choice that goes against their biological nature? How about 70 years ago when getting caught in a gay relationship could land you in a god-damned psych ward?

Explain bisexuality? Some people are turned on by women and men. It's not !@#$ing hard to explain.

There are lot of stupid things that can still land you in a psych ward.

To change gears, will you reconsider my arugment if the % of gay people skyrocket? We will know in the coming years, right? That is, as we liberalize societal norms. If you are right, that number (of gay people) should hold firm @ 10%.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to communicate. You responded to my simple joke which implied NoJustice is a virgin, then said its not an insult but it is insulting in your opinion. I was relieved when you agreed with my joke, even though it may or may not be insulting in your opinion, and I was flattered to learn that you've been telling this joke for years. I was concerned to hear that you've been getting pasted, which I can only assume is bad. I was with you up till this part, then things got weird.

Sorry, I misunderstood your joke. I meant, when ever I express these views (everybody is neither born straight or gay), I get attacked (pasted). Again, sorry for not understanding your joke.

To change gears, will you reconsider my arugment if the % of gay people skyrocket? We will know in the coming years, right? That is, as we liberalize societal norms. If you are right, that number (of gay people) should hold firm @ 10%.

Just like once upon a time people hid their "blackness" people also hid their sexual orientation and probably still do because of family, society etc.

I would not be surprised if the number rose. As people become more and more tolerant than more and more people will feel comfortable coming out. Common sense says that no one wants to be persecuted so some people hold it in. I have a good friend that came out last year and he is 31. He has been gay his whole life but tried to be straight because he thought that he would be more accepted.

I would not be surprised if the number rose. As people become more and more tolerant than more and more people will feel comfortable coming out. Common sense says that no one wants to be persecuted so some people hold it in. I have a good friend that came out last year and he is 31. He has been gay his whole life but tried to be straight because he thought that he would be more accepted.

I understand. But, nobody should get preferential treatment either then. Why is marriage even a matter of the state? I will stop there so it doesn't get too politcial.

My brother's best friend the same thing. In his 50's now, but 15 years ago came out, left his wife and children for his boyfriend.

Just like once upon a time people hid their "blackness" people also hid their sexual orientation and probably still do because of family, society etc.

I am sorry, that is different. You can't tell who is gay and who isn't just by looking @ them. And I have no problem with people expressing their sexuality all they want. Where do you draw the arbitrary line. I just don't believe people are born 100% gay or 100% hetero.

1. Are you saying practicing homosexuality should land you in a psych ward, or just saying it's stupid to practice homosexuality? How would you feel if whatever sexual urges you felt would land you in a psych ward if acted upon (assuming those urges were practiced between consenting adults.)

2. Define skyrocket. I assume as others have mentioned that as it becomes more acceptable, more people who might have remained closeted years ago will be more open an honest with themselves about their sexual preference. I don't see this as a bad thing.

That he was prompted by rumors was covered in the first hours of the story.

Still that yellow bellied 'mo was up to no good and Tim called it. Bet ole Sam woulda lived his whole life in the closet (aside from his whole college team who knew) and wouldn't have taken none of the abuse for his lifestyle he so rightly deserves. But them NFL fellas were too smart and figured him out and he had to fess up. Now ole Sam acts like he was being courageous, but you know he was just gonna try and live his life like a normal person and not tell no one he was gay or nothing and thats not right.

1. Are you saying practicing homosexuality should land you in a psych ward, or just saying it's stupid to practice homosexuality? How would you feel if whatever sexual urges you felt would land you in a psych ward if acted upon (assuming those urges were practiced between consenting adults.)

2. Define skyrocket. I assume as others have mentioned that as it becomes more acceptable, more people who might have remained closeted years ago will be more open an honest with themselves about their sexual preference. I don't see this as a bad thing.

1. No, no! Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend, sorry. It was stupid @ the time to put gay people in a psych ward. Again, I didn't mean to offend w/the word stupid.

2. 20%, 30%,+. Numbers that would point to being straight/gay as being a social choice. Will people play the"gay card" for sympathy? Say teens that are going through change? People do play into "protected" classes. It is now advantageous to play the role of victim. There will ALWAYS be gay haters out there. This is one issue that simply will NOT reach an equillirium, not w/religion innvolved in the debate.

I am all for defining societal norms, not as rigid in the past, but still defining them.

1. No, no! Sorry, that wasn't meant to offend, sorry. It was stupid @ the time to put gay people in a psych ward. Again, I didn't mean to offend w/the word stupid.

2. 20%, 30%,+. Numbers that would point to being straight/gay as being a social choice. Will people play the"gay card" for sympathy? Say teens that are going through change? People do play into "protected" classes. It is now advantageous to play the role of victim. There will ALWAYS be gay haters out there. This is one issue that simply will NOT reach an equillirium, not w/religion innvolved in the debate.

I am all for defining societal norms, not as rigid in the past, but still defining them.

1. Thanks

2. I think you're way off here. I'll leave it at that.

Imagine how Michael Sam must feel like. A person doesn't deserve such isolation, ridicule or hatred because he is gay. So far I haven't heard once that he has poor character or has been involved in criminal activity. Is this how we treat another human being?? This kid is someone's son and as a parent if my son was a good citizen and a decent human being and was treated like this simply because he is gay I would not only be furious but even more so heartbroken for him.

Ha, talk about irony! As I'm literally writing this to post I get phone call from my friend right in the middle of it. He's calling me to ask me what I think about Michael Sam's father stating that he's uncomfortable about having a gay player in the NFL or something to that effect. I'm not quite sure exactly what it's all about but as soon as I post this I'm going to check it out and if there's any kind of truth to that then his father should be ashamed of himself for publicly denouncing what his son stands for. I'll end it like this, no matter what my children, and they are all adults now, have said or done or what they are it doesn't change the fact that I love them with all my heart and soul, regardless of how angry or disappointed they might have made me throughout the years. I love my children unconditionally and because of this mentality I don't believe that Michael Sam should be tortured or mistreated because he is gay.

I don't need religion to tell me gay sex is wrong. Common sense does. Sexual organs don't include fists, fingers, tongues, or butts. Men dressing like women, women dressing like men. I find it repulsive, but to each his own.

I don't care what people do privately. Sexual preference shouldn't stop anyone from having equal rights, but there should be limits when it comes to pro sports. For example, what will the league do if someone wants to get breast implants or remove their penis? Things can get out of hand real quick.

This article may be linked elsewhere in the thread, if so, apologies for the repeat. I think that Sam's aunt summed things up perfectly.

“I believe in a person’s destiny,” his aunt Geraldine Sam said. “If that’s the way he is, I’m not trying to put my religious beliefs on anyone. I respect people for who they are, not who we want them to be.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/other-colleges/20140211-michael-sam-s-father-lives-in-dallas-and-is-upset-over-son-s-gay-revelation.ece

I don't need religion to tell me gay sex is wrong. Common sense does. Sexual organs don't include fists, fingers, tongues, or butts. Men dressing like women, women dressing like men. I find it repulsive, but to each his own.

I don't care what people do privately. Sexual preference shouldn't stop anyone from having equal rights, but there should be limits when it comes to pro sports. For example, what will the league do if someone wants to get breast implants or remove their penis? Things can get out of hand real quick.

a.) I love it when people who are 'repulsed' by gay sex clearly think a lot about it.

b.) I'm pretty sure that heterosexual couples use all sorts of organs/parts too... is it less wrong when they do it?

Edited by benjamin

a.) I love it when people who are 'repulsed' by gay sex clearly think a lot about it.

b.) I'm pretty sure that heterosexual couples use all sorts of organs/parts too... is it less wrong when they do it?

A. Me being repulsed leads you to believe I think about it a lot? Not true.

B. I don't care who does it, anal sex is filthy and disgusting.

I was born straight. An 8 year old version of me caught a glimpse of Dolly Parton and was all in !

Interesting. I was around 6 when I found a matchbook during recess on my elementary school playground. It was from a burlesque club and had a buxom woman wearing nipple tassels on it. I was utterly transfixed and instantly moved. I didn't understand the feelings or increased blood flow to the loins, but I knew immediately and ever after what my preference was.

Kept that damn thing until my mom gutted my room when I left home.

I respectfully disagree.

I don't know many, or even any, victims of hate who found it "advantageous".

I have counseled LGBT youth and seen first hand what they go through, from parents throwing holy water on them trying to cure them to gym teachers looking the other way while they get assaulted and everything in between. The saddest ones I have talked to are those who attempted suicide, preferring to die rather than to live and be gay because of all the crap they have been told it means to be gay. Things like, "you are sick", "you choose to be a deviant", "you are going to hell but don't worry, we love you anyway" etc.,etc., etc. The reality of what it means to be gay for so many people makes the chance of their "playing victim" because it's just so darn advantageous is zero, zero, zero. Nobody chooses this, not the ones who go through hell over it and not the ones who are lucky enough to come out and come of age in a supportive atmosphere. I don't know if it is something they are born with, predisposed to or that develops at an early age or some combination. Either way, its not a choice unless you think maybe a 5 year old is capable of such choices.

I think that rather than to theorize and pull apart logic puzzles over this issue, people ought to listen to people who are gay, experience their stories first hand and then see what your heart tells you about LGBT folks. Abstract theories about genetics, societal "norms" and the pernicious effect of permissiveness on crop yields in the Ukraine are easy to obsess over when you haven't had the chance to get to really know people facing these problems everyday.

I know I'm a little late to the party here as this thread seems to have turned into a debate on homosexuality. Perhaps this was already discussed, I read threw about 10 pages and didn't find anything. I would have serious concerns over drafting Sam just because he's never really played a down as an openly gay man. We can say he has at Missouri, OK, his teammates knew about it but that is it. He was a beast on the field. He already won over that teams respect by being the best player on the team. Nobody on the Tigers was slurring him, nobody was crossing him, no opposing teams or fans knew anything about him. The NFL is going to be a much different environment. He likely isn't going to walk in and dominate, not according to his original draft projections. So he's not earning any teammates respect by simply being the best. He likely will take a lot of locker room shots, he certainly will be taunted endlessly on the field by opposing players, and depending on the location, he's likely to get his fair share from drunk a-holes. All the while, the cameras will be rolling 24/7 on the entire situation making a spectacle of it all. It's one thing if Sam was a projected top 10 guy and this has him sliding well into the 3rd or 4th round and you can scoop him up with major upside, but Sam was never projected at that level. It was debatable if he was even 3rd rounder or better before this announcement. Making an NFL team is hard enough as a straight man, this guy will go thru hell to make it in the league and he stands a decent chance of having to go thru that hell without even starting for several seasons. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is what is the upside? How does drafting a mid level player who walks into this situations beneficial to any team? I just see drafting him as a bad business decision, just too much media and unknown variables in the equation for a guy that is likely a fringe starter or situational pass rusher.

Edited by KzooMike

It sounds like you really know how to disappoint a woman!