Michael Sam is out.

agardin

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

Twitter was made for stories like this, the number of idiots who will fire off 140 characters of pure stupid is going to be astounding.

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

Yeah, intolerance! Awesome! I wish I was an NCAA football player, I'd tweet stuff about minorities playing football. Ya know, Hispanics should stick to swimming because they're good at it. And minorities should whatever is racist or something. Yeah! Intolerance! Hip hip hooray!

This is huge. And very good news. I'm glad that he's done something so courageous. I consider myself an activist. I always speak up when ignorance comes out of those around me, and I always do what I can to support the cause.

With that said, I hope we don't see "I hope my team drafts Michael Sam" now. I would welcome him in Buffalo, but I don't want them to draft him based on this. I would draft him purely based on his ability and the team need.

Good for him--that is courageously brave. Here's hoping that the society of the NFL has made (or makes) the strides it needs to to accept this.

Not being much of a Twitter guy myself, I'm assuming that WEO's making up that J. Martin tweet for yuks (although that is what I've personally suspected since his whole mess started)....

I long for the day when this isn't even a discussion that's had.

Making it public prior to the draft is definitely taking a stand. His outing coupled with a little ignorance or bigotry could cost him some $.

Certainly hope he doesn't lose any opportunity and that the only question about him on draft day is... Can he get to the QB? Without antibody uttering "depends on how cute he is..."

Bravo.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others. He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow. If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.

who cares. Seems attention seeking to me. I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives. Can he play football? His life choices are his own.

Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career. If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

who cares. Seems attention seeking to me. I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives. Can he play football? His life choices are his own.

I see this a lot. Do you not care or do you not approve? It can't be both. Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle". Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

Better to release the story on his own terms than get "found out" and let the rumors begin flying.

Makes sense. His whole team apparently knew and didn't care. Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others. He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow. If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.

Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career. If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock. I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

Makes sense. His whole team apparently knew and didn't care. Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.

I'm sure his agent is thrilled that he'll probably be dropping a round in the draft and ready for all sorts of lucrative gay-oriented endorsements. Are you serious?

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock. I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

You obviously aren't seeing the kinds of questions that scouts are asking players, then.

I see this a lot. Do you not care or do you not approve? It can't be both. Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle". Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

It can be both. I do not approve as in I think practicing homosexual behavior is a sin. But, I do not care if he is a practicing homosexual. That is his call to make. Muslims believe drinking is a sin. Jews believe eating pork is a sin. They don't approve of these things, but they don't care that I drink and eat pork. I know they think it's sinful and respect that.

It can be both. I do not approve as in I think practicing homosexual behavior is a sin. But, I do not care if he is a practicing homosexual. That is his call to make. Muslims believe drinking is a sin. Jews believe eating pork is a sin. They don't approve of these things, but they don't care that I drink and eat pork. I know they think it's sinful and respect that.

Fair enough.

I'm sure his agent is thrilled that he'll probably be dropping a round in the draft and ready for all sorts of lucrative gay-oriented endorsements. Are you serious?

You obviously aren't seeing the kinds of questions that scouts are asking players, then.

His agent is prob already getting calls from Nike or Starbucks. Not sure where you live, but many people will want to buy something with his name on it for being the first openly gay player. Nike already makes "gay" oriented appeal. Gm's will prob ask him how he would deal with morons who use slurs toward him. I doubt Whaley, Colbert, and GMs from other classy organizations will harass him. That's why I said I hope he ends up on a professionally run team (Buffalo, pit, GB, etc). I wish him nothing but the best. I don't see him falling. if the Bills miss an opportunity to get him at a good value/ where he should be and don't I'll be upset.

Edited by RyanC883

Speaking of 42 I just watched the movie yesterday. Amazing, that wasn't that long ago.

The key difference, of course, is that there are most likely dozens of gay NFL players who simply choose not to disclose that information. I respect Michael Sam chiefly because he could have chosen anonymity over the circus that's coming his way.

Best comment, in the comments on Deadspin article:

Elton John (to Sam): Don't worry, it gets bet...(interrupted by TV)

Announcer: And with the 11th pick in the fifth round, the Detroit Lions pick Michael Sam, defensive end, Missouri

Elton John: So sorry...

Comparing drinking and eating bacon to being gay is pretty awful, I know the point you are making but they are not the same at all.

Oh come on...look at the biggest advertisers on televised football games.

Trucks--ads filled with construction workers and cowboys doing extreme macho acts with their oversized rides. Totally butch.

Beer--all feature twee thin scruffy hipsters hanging out in "sports bars" ordering lite beers or hard ciders.

Car insurance--is GEICO's "Flo" not the Judy Garland of insurance ads?

Comparing drinking and eating bacon to being gay is pretty awful, I know the point you are making but they are not the same at all.

You're right. The bible refers to eating swine as an abomination four more times than it does homosexuality. Eating pork is clearly far, far worse from a biblical standpoint. And on that note, I'd like to come out as an eater of pork - bacon, ribs, ham, loin - I'm into it all. Ok, not the hocks, chitlins or feet, but most of it. And I'm not going away anytime soon, so you'd better get used to me.

On a serious note, good for Mike Sam. It's better to live his life truthfully than try to BS everyone {coughTe'ocough}. I'm glad he had the courage to do so. It will help those that follow and hopefully help things along to a point where this isn't even a point of conversation anymore.

His agent is prob already getting calls from Nike or Starbucks. Not sure where you live, but many people will want to buy something with his name on it for being the first openly gay player. Nike already makes "gay" oriented appeal. Gm's will prob ask him how he would deal with morons who use slurs toward him. I doubt Whaley, Colbert, and GMs from other classy organizations will harass him. That's why I said I hope he ends up on a professionally run team (Buffalo, pit, GB, etc). I wish him nothing but the best. I don't see him falling. if the Bills miss an opportunity to get him at a good value/ where he should be and don't I'll be upset.

Haha... I agree with you, but the part where you said Buffalo was a professional organization fired up my inferiority complex.

Leviticus tells us homosexuality is a sin, as is touching the skin of a pig. Exodus tells us working on Sunday is a sin. Man, that's three for three. If he gets drafted, this guy would be the sinniest football player that ever sinned.

I admire his courage. He's in for a possible tumultuous draft process with media controversy and ultimately we will see how he is received and treated in the NFL. One thing for sure he has brass stones.

With scouts asking questions of his agent I can see why he made the announcement, still, a very difficult thing for him to do I would imagine.

You are correct, eating bacon and getting hammered are the same as two people of the same sex having a sexual relationship.

Obviously you believe there is something wrong with being gay. Muslims believe there is something wrong with drinking alcohol and Jews believe there is something wrong with eating pork. What's the difference? It is all about the individuals beliefs. I believe there is nothing wrong with any of those things.

Obviously you believe there is something wrong with being gay. Muslims believe there is something wrong with drinking alcohol and Jews believe there is something wrong with eating pork. What's the difference? It is all about the individuals beliefs. I believe there is nothing wrong with any of those things.

We mixed signals somewhere, I have no issue with him coming out or gay people in general.

honest question and I hope other members do not make sniping comments but bY our logic is it fair to say Jackie Robinson should have stayed in the Negro leagues or never went to MLB?

Because nothing more was gained for him by going to MLB?