SB Halftime - Bruno Mars, Red Hot Chili Peppers

i'll remain whelmed by this unless John Frusciante is part of the act. otherwise ... shrug. they used to be somebody i once knew.

jw

If you're going to go back that far why not just wish that Hillel Slovack rises from his grave to play the show? And I don't think it was Frusciante's departure that caused the band to sail off into obscurity, it was father time.

If you're going to go back that far why not just wish that Hillel Slovack rises from his grave to play the show? And I don't think it was Frusciante's departure that caused the band to sail off into obscurity, it was father time.

all the way back to their most definitive album, Stadium Arcadium? aka the second to last album they delivered? my goodness, next to Westerberg's 49:00, that was one of the best albums to come out in the 2000s. Frusciante carried that album with depth and maturity and drive and licks that made what preceded them -- especially the navarro years -- a pale shadow.

father time made the Chilis with Frusciante one of the most important rock and roll bands -- and far superior to over-produced publum offered by the foo fighters of late -- on the face of the earth the moment that album was cut. Frusciante is the only member of the Chilis to keep Keidis in check, allowing the band to produce an epic two-disc lp that resonates to this very day.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

all the way back to their most definitive album, Stadium Arcadium? aka the second to last album they delivered? my goodness, next to Westerberg's 49:00, that was one of the best albums to come out in the 2000s. Frusciante carried that album with depth and maturity and drive and licks that made what preceded them -- especially the navarro years -- a pale shadow.

father time made the Chilis with Frusciante one of the most important rock and roll bands -- and far superior to over-produced publum offered by the foo fighters of late -- on the face of the earth the moment that album was cut. Frusciante is the only member of the Chilis to keep Keidis in check, allowing the band to produce an epic two-disc lp that resonates to this very day.

jw

I guess we'll disagree on their most definitive album because I haven't been able to stomach most of their stuff from the past two decades. I was a fan when Slovak was around and Fruciante's first go around. Everything since then (and even at the end of Fruciante's first stint) was pretty over-produced. Sure they became more mature and better musicians but they lost that vibrant youthful soul/energy that attracted me to them in the first place. Sometimes better isn't better.

I'm guessing most would consider Blood Sugar their definitive album though I'd go with Mother's Milk with Uplift Mofo running a close second. See what all those things have in common? They were decades ago. The way I see the band they had two distinct phases - post Blood Sugar and pre. I vastly preferred the pre. I never cared for Californication, By the Way, One Hot Minute or Stadium Arcadium though to be truthful by the last few I stopped giving them my full attention to listen all the way through - it was just no longer for me.

And Navarro, while a fine guitarist, was never a good fit for the Chili Peppers.

because Bruno is lame!

The NFL needs to think outside the freakin box with the half-time show.

Exactly!

Can we get friggin Metallica please, they are going to be performing at the Grammys, time for the NFL get some real music at the bowl, tired of all these pop devas (not that the peppers are but they ain't the greatest either)

i keep on using halftime for refreshment til they run out someone like motorhead or metallica or so

best thing about halftime is the length. it allows for some grilled burgers

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed with your assessment of Frusciante. The interplay of his guitar and Flea's bass is essential to the chili sound. The only problem with Stadium was the total overcompression. Barely listenable on some stereos.

Disagree on Foos, tho. Any album with a tune like White Limo on it is OK in my book. The whole Wasting Light album was recorded analog, so it has a fantastic warmth to it, although whoever mastered it could have done a better job. Since it was analog, and the instruments couldn't be tweaked and faked like you can on a digital recording, it couldn't be produced the same way. Retakes were punched in and out, not cut and pasted.

jw

So what do you guys think is more likely? That, as the story said, Bruno invited RHCP to the gig? OR that the powers that be got some survey numbers back that said the SB audience really has little to no interest in Bruno and a change was needed?

This would have been good news. Fifteen years ago...

Amen...

I was a HUGE RHCP fan back in the day...I really liked Californication, even though it was a pretty major departure for them...But they totally lost me after that...

Still I should point out that I'll take them over Bruno Mars any day... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I guess we'll disagree on their most definitive album because I haven't been able to stomach most of their stuff from the past two decades. I was a fan when Slovak was around and Fruciante's first go around. Everything since then (and even at the end of Fruciante's first stint) was pretty over-produced. Sure they became more mature and better musicians but they lost that vibrant youthful soul/energy that attracted me to them in the first place. Sometimes better isn't better.

I'm guessing most would consider Blood Sugar their definitive album though I'd go with Mother's Milk with Uplift Mofo running a close second. See what all those things have in common? They were decades ago. The way I see the band they had two distinct phases - post Blood Sugar and pre. I vastly preferred the pre. I never cared for Californication, By the Way, One Hot Minute or Stadium Arcadium though to be truthful by the last few I stopped giving them my full attention to listen all the way through - it was just no longer for me.

And Navarro, while a fine guitarist, was never a good fit for the Chili Peppers.

Pretty much agree...It's definitely Blood Sugar for me with uplift a close 2nd...And I did like Californication a lot...But for me at least everything after just kind of sounded like Californication...And I go bored with it all...

I saw them live two years ago and they were the worst headliner at Roo that year. It just didnt sound right and the vibe wasnt there. Still think they are pretty good. I think Bruno is a heck of a performer and I think his halftime show will be good.

The sucky half time music continues ! A couple years back i can remember when fans were saying to do better than The old Timers like the Who, Aerosmith, McCartney .

Then they did The Black Eyed Peas & now this , whats next Justin Beber ??

If they were complaining about the old guys which just about every one they complained about are music icons they should really be going off about this stuff !!

The sucky half time music continues ! A couple years back i can remember when fans were saying to do better than The old Timers like the Who, Aerosmith, McCartney .

Then they did The Black Eyed Peas & now this , whats next Justin Beber ??

If they were complaining about the old guys which just about every one they complained about are music icons they should really be going off about this stuff !!

Not a Bieber fan, but if he was all wasted and acting a fool, I would watch it. Could be funny.

I have seen many, many concerts on my lifetime- and have to say chilli peppers mothers milk tour is far and away the best concert I have seen! Their energy was incredible. Kiedas was doing back flips and running around on stage doing a handstand, flea was everywhere, they were loud, it was beautigul

I have seen many, many concerts on my lifetime- and have to say chilli peppers mothers milk tour is far and away the best concert I have seen! Their energy was incredible. Kiedas was doing back flips and running around on stage doing a handstand, flea was everywhere, they were loud, it was beautigul

I've seen them several times over these many years, but the 92 Lollapalooza was my favorite show... B-)

At least we don't have to watch Miley Cyrus twerk all over the place.

BSSM was my fave album in high school. Like most bands, they went pop-y and soft. To those vying for Metallica, isn't going to happen. Too small of a listening base, and their music hasn't been enjoyable to most metal heads since the Black Album.

So I guess I can occupy my time during half time doing other things. Perhaps refreshing my beverage cup or grabbing a few more Swedish meatballs and chicken wings.

Thanks NFL.

Yup, just like every year.

Halftime shows are designed to keep the women who don't care about football entertained.

I saw them at the all star race a few years ago. They'll need to improve on the sound from that if they want good audio. It was a lousy presentation.

I cannot wait for the dozen year it will take for Linkin Park, Eminem, Foo Fighters to do this. I have no doubt if Cobain was alive Nirvana would play the SB.

BSSM was my fave album in high school. Like most bands, they went pop-y and soft. To those vying for Metallica, isn't going to happen. Too small of a listening base, and their music hasn't been enjoyable to most metal heads since the Black Album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyu04pqC8lE

Death Magnetic is awesome

Blood Sugar was the beginning of their pop transition though. Sure, a lot of it is similar to their earlier stuff but more polished but songs like Breaking the Girl and Under the Bridge were the types of songs you'd never have heard from them on previous albums.

The same goes for Metallica. Their self titled "black" album was the beginning of the end. Suddenly their 8 minute jam-season like songs were cut to 3-4 minutes so they could get video and radio time. And tunes like "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters" were the warning shot fired across the bow. When I heard those songs I knew the Metallica I loved was pretty much over. Even the much loved "Enter Sandman" is more mainstream metal than tracks on their previous albums.

i'll remain whelmed by this unless John Frusciante is part of the act. otherwise ... shrug. they used to be somebody i once knew.

jw

100% on the money. Any post-Slovak RHCP sans Frusciante = crap. I'm more excited to see Bruno Mars.

You ever heard of his biggest hit - Locked out of heaven?

Then listen to any Sting/Police song.

The year that song was popular, Sting came out and sang half of it with BM at one of the award craptaculars. It was a not-so-subtle way for Sting to tell everyone, "you're welcome, Bruno."

No band or artist has/will ever rip off the Police. They are a one of a kind band who, in my opinion, created their own genre that no one else has ever been able to master.

As far as solo Sting goes, none of it ever sounded anything like any Bruno Mars song.

If they don't resurrect Hillel Slovak and bring back Jack Irons to only play songs off of the Uplift Mofo Party Plan, then I will throw my television out the window and move to Russia.

Also, to whoever said Bruno Mars is a ripoff of Sting/The Police, you are a bad person and should feel bad.

im old, i know the stones and the Who were panned as fossils, but jeez, who is bruno mars?? the NFL must be caving to pop culture, why not a mix of chicago and the crue? any way, good time to pee while he is on.. .justin bieber is a lock next year

Edited by dwight in philly