Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This comment eases the sting of losing Pettine after one season---the organization is proactive even when it is forced to be reactive. Preparedness inspires confidence.

Our search seemed smoother than Cleveland's Heck, Schwartz's name didn't even really leak until he was almost hired...

I'm good with this - well respected (by Belichick even, maybe he can figure out how to stop the Pats) and has always had Ds that can stop the run!

Been kind of out of the loop all day...any word on which Bills staff that Pettin is taking to Cleveland with him? I know most didn't want Donnie Henderson as DC, but I sure hope he stays on our staff...did a great job with the secondary, and the players seem to love playing for him...

Raiding the Detroit coaching staff? Shooting pretty low...

If they change to 4-3, how might it effect the draft?

We pretty much already ran a 4-3 anyway.

Titans D under Schwartz was in the top 10 in passing & rushing. I'm excited about the pick as he could possibly be an upgrade over Pettine.

@JeffRussoWKBW

Strong hire. Quick turnaround. Schwartz aggressive, attacking in his schemes. Lions ranked 4th against the run in 2013

@AlbertBreer

One source on what the Bills liked in Schwartz: "Everything". Buffalo had plan in place in case Pettine got the Browns job, and executed it.

This is promising to hear. I've already gone from "Oh no, we're doomed, Pettine is leaving!" to "You know, this might be the perfect fit to finish the job.

I like Mike Pettine. I like Cleveland. When they are not in competition with the Bills I would like them to do well. But I think we all seriously need to accept the stopping the run was not one of Pettine's specialties. Schwartz has experience as a DC, his temperament suits it well, and he works with our current defensive front. With Henderson doing a frankly stunning job with the DB's last year, and leaving Schwartz to finish the LB corps (his specialty) I think we might be right on track.

They'll go in house, they said. There's no way we'll change defensive scheme for the 4th time in 4 years, they said.

Bye bye Byrdy, complained about switching schemes and now this? Gone.

They changed the scheme last year for the third time in three years...didn't work out too bad. I wouldn't be so quick to say goodbye to Byrd...

I find the Downing hire a little more puzzling. EJ needs work on mechanics...Downing was the QB coach for the Lions the last two years...Stafford has bad mechanics... hope he can do a better job with Manuel.

I'm not sure if he's a good coach or not, but I will take Stafford like production from Manuel

Obviously good concerns, but he was a good dc...Maybe he just sucked as a HC

I don't think he sucked as a head coach. He took an 0-16 team the year before he got there to the playoffs. Sure they underachieved the next two seasons, but how much of that is on the head coach? There are a lot of factors going into that.

top 5 ranked run defense from 01-05. Top 5 ranked D in 07 along with top 5 run D as well.

Not much to sleep on

fair enough. I do remember TN being solid under him, just didnt know stats. I guess his personality during his tenure in det rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by rafter