Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it, Crossman was Schwartz' special teams coach in Detroit, then left to be with Marrone in Buffalo. I am sure he has kept in contact with him, then when Schwartz lost his job and the openning happened in Buffalo, phones were ringing...

Yup- Schwartz stood by Crossman far too long too.... One has to assume they liked each other personally to tolerate the poor performance.

I'm glad it's a guy with a lot of DC experience, and a pretty good one at that. We'll have to see how much change he wants to bring. If he keeps Henderson, perhaps we can keep Byrd.

Our DBs will be a huge upgrade with what he's worked with in the past. Gotta think he'll be a huge proponent in wanting to keep Byrd.

I find the Downing hire a little more puzzling. EJ needs work on mechanics...Downing was the QB coach for the Lions the last two years...Stafford has bad mechanics... hope he can do a better job with Manuel.

I think Stafford's mechanics are more about Stafford then anyone else

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

He's apparently a "money ball" guy...he'll fit right in with the analytics department. Whether he can inspire greatness is another story. I was pumped for a hard nosed, on field presence rather than a calculator toting statistical guru...guess I'll have to wait and see. Detroit's record is not a great indicator. I feel like we could have done better (but I'm not a hard nosed football analyst like some of you fellas).

I find the Downing hire a little more puzzling. EJ needs work on mechanics...Downing was the QB coach for the Lions the last two years...Stafford has bad mechanics... hope he can do a better job with Manuel.

Stafford's mechanics are crap but they've always been crap and I doubt that he was interested in changing them. He had success in college and the NFL with a semi-sidearm delivery.

I think/hope that with Manuel you have someone who is interested in changing his fundamentals. Since we've never seen Downing successfully work on a QBs mechanics we'll have to wait & see.

I think Stafford's mechanics are more about Stafford then anyone else

Stafford has always been a guy that relied on his tremendous arm strength so he was always sloppy with his delivery and mechanics because it didn't matter to him. He could put the ball wherever he wanted with whatever delivery. The problem is his decision making and trusting that ridiculous arm too much.

Edited by Bangarang