Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they? K-9 assured me that they would stay in house, and I didn't hear anything else since the Pettine loss.

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about a fan's perspective. When a team says that they have identified options and they have a plan in place I assume that they are looking outside the organization for interviews. Their fall back is in house.

Meant if we kept the same schemes with an in-house promotion. Wrote the wrong thing.

That makes more sense then. Is continuity worth taking a lesser known, perhaps weaker candidate? Continuity for continuities sake is a very dangerous game. Especially for the sake of one player who may or may not be here anyway.

Lets not pretend that the defensive coordinator doesn't play a large role in fielding a prepared, disciplined and clean defensive squad... Something Schwartz was troubled with in Detroit.

He most definitely did as the head coach. The head coach sets the tone and Schwartz was a failure when it came to fielding a disciplined team. Marrone's job (like Schwartz's old one) is to field a disciplined team. Marrone failed at that last year. We'll see if he is able to improve here.

That's fine. And we couldnt stop the run.

I'd say hanging your hat so strongly on fixing one ranking is a bit like saying who cares if he's not a good route runner or physical- we need a tall WR and hardy is the man!

Schwartz has been a good coordinator and I don't mean to come across all negative here but honestly run D isn't at the top of my most important qualities. I hope he does great but I'm a bit concerned by the issues on his résumé and that he may be another friend hire. He has talent a chance to surpass pettine though and that's what I'll be cheering for.

Schwartz?

As HC at Lions (2009-2013) 25th, 24th, 23rd, 16th, 6th

As DC at Titans (2001-2008) 5th, 2nd, 1st, 18th, 22nd, 30th, 5th, 6th

I like these rankings and they are better than pettines. Please if you are down on his hire read the link 26cornerblitz posted and I guarantee you'll feel better.

He most definitely did as the head coach. The head coach sets the tone and Schwartz was a failure when it came to fielding a disciplined team. Marrone's job (like Schwartz's old one) is to field a disciplined team. Marrone failed at that last year. We'll see if he is able to improve here.

That's what it seemed liked to me.

So thinking out loud; Schwartz was in Tenn with the D that Greggo ran (the 46) and I think that was the same/similar to what Buddy Ryan ran there. Rex to Balt with his daddy's d; Pettine joins him there and to the Jets and to us.

Schwartz should be familiar with our new scheme....

So where does Kevin Bacon fit in here....

Edit - I just checked. Gregg was linebackers coach under Buddy Ryan, Schwartz was secondary coach there before we got Gregg, Gregg came to us Schwartz became DC...

Should be very similar scheme...

Yep..

Fisher and Williams were on Buddy's defensive staff when he coached under Jack Pardee.

Both Williams and Schwartz were on Fisher's staff at Tennessee,

This will be a good fit. The shared DNA of the Buddy Ryan coaching tree are aggressive defenses. .

I'd say hanging your hat so strongly on fixing one ranking is a bit like saying who cares if he's not a good route runner or physical- we need a tall WR and hardy is the man!

Schwartz has been a good coordinator and I don't mean to come across all negative here but honestly run D isn't at the top of my most important qualities. I hope he does great but I'm a bit concerned by the issues on his résumé and that he may be another friend hire. He has talent a chance to surpass pettine though and that's what I'll be cheering for.

Well his run d rankings are great but so are his 3rd down conversion rankings. What makes you think he is a friend hire? Have marrones and schwartzs paths crossed anywhere?