Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

Per Chris brown

Good pick, IMO. He's done a good job against his mentor, Belicheat in the past . He has experience coaching against the NFC North, which we happen to play against this season. Strategic move by Whaley, Marrone & Co... :flirt:

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he was DC, his defenses were consistently outstanding. If you're failing to realize that one is capable of being a great DC and a bad HC I don't know what to say

+1.

I wonder...those who hate this hire, who would you have preferred?

I'd say hanging your hat so strongly on fixing one ranking is a bit like saying who cares if he's not a good route runner or physical- we need a tall WR and hardy is the man!

Schwartz has been a good coordinator and I don't mean to come across all negative here but honestly run D isn't at the top of my most important qualities. I hope he does great but I'm a bit concerned by the issues on his résumé and that he may be another friend hire. He has talent a chance to surpass pettine though and that's what I'll be cheering for.

All I was saying is I'll take a D that plays on the edge and takes some personal fouls, as long as we play the pass like we have and can stop the run.

Beyond that, Run D should be at the top of your most important qualities when looking for a Defensive Coordinator. It's half his job! We've seen first hand year after year exactly how important it is. Let Marrone handle discipline.

Schwartz may have been too much of a loose cannon for a Head Coach, but that's exactly what you want in a DC.

I think I'm about 80% excited about this hire. As seems to be the general sentiment, I would have kinda preferred Wade to Schwartz, but I understand this hire, and it's a strong one. I'm impressed with the FO going out and actually getting a name for once (twice, actually, as Pettine was a strong hire last year too), and for not letting price tag be a sticking point for a top coordinator, as he is probably one of the highest paid DCs in the game right now. As soon as I got the bills text about the news, I worried about that dam wide-9 defense, which (though not under Schwartz) has had some majorly terrible statistical seasons (2012 Eagles, I'm looking at you).

But he got elite, DPOY production out of Hainesworth, which Mario is more talented than, Darius could develop into, and Kyle is always great. So maybe we need to look into locking down Darius NOW before he has a crazy season in a system he could be built to excel in, then we lose him.

He most definitely did as the head coach. The head coach sets the tone and Schwartz was a failure when it came to fielding a disciplined team. Marrone's job (like Schwartz's old one) is to field a disciplined team. Marrone failed at that last year. We'll see if he is able to improve here.

One might say the quickest way for marrone to turn that around would be his choice at DC. Obviously I can't say Schwartz won't but it's a little bit of a question moving forward both on Schwartz and our HC

Wrong, they can block a promotion if the assistant is under contract UNLESS that promotion is to become a head coach. In this case O'neil is looking to become a DC so the bills have the right to block it.

Apparently Green Bay blocked AVP from becoming browns offensive coordinator too

I'm not familiar with the situation, but I feel bad about this.

Did GB really need to block AVP? Was an x QB really that important to keep as your RB coach? Would you gain more with continuity over animosity?

One might say the quickest way for marrone to turn that around would be his choice at DC. Obviously I can't say Schwartz won't but it's a little bit of a question moving forward both on Schwartz and our HC

One might say that, but they would be wrong IMO. Discipline comes from the top. Biq ???? for Marrone going forward.

I like these rankings and they are better than pettines. Please if you are down on his hire read the link 26cornerblitz posted and I guarantee you'll feel better.

Oh no.....I'm really liking this hire. The numbers I posted were to show the poster "Doro" that he can and does stop the run. Seeing the rankings in chronological order shows him taking a crappy Lions run D, and gradually improving it to 6th.......as well as showing how he re-established his run D after it dropped off while DC at the Titans. This to me is very important. He has taken two low ranked run Ds and improved them to 5th/6th. This has me very encouraged.

Edited by Dibs

I'm not terribly impressed with this guy's resume. There are a few good defensive seasons on there, but when you look at overall yds, y/a, and pts allowed, most of his seasons have been mediocre to bad, statistically speaking anyway. And he's had a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball both in TN and DET.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm

Just for ***** and giggles, compare his defenses to Wade Phillips' over the last 10 years if you feel so inclined.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

@RapSheet: 2 things: 1. Man, Bills people are pumped about Jim Schwartz as DC; 2. Schwartz must want to coach. Hed make the same amount if he didn't

@RapSheet: Bills nailed it RT @RyanTalbotBills: @RapSheet It's nice to hear "we have a plan in place if Pettine leaves" and see the team follow through

Edited by FluffHead

I'm not familiar with the situation, but I feel bad about this.

Did GB really need to block AVP? Was an x QB really that important to keep as your RB coach? Would you gain more with continuity over animosity?

People keep talking about this "animosity" that coaches feel when they cant leave the job they are under contract for.

Look, the coaching world is nothing like the industry that you, or I, or anyone else here works in. It's a whole different set of rules and lifestyle. These grown men know the rules when they take the job, so do the teams. Sometimes you get to skip out on your contract and get a promotion and the team is stuck, but theres no hard feelings. And sometimes the team needs you to stay.

Losing out on a promotion would suck, but you could also be happy that your current employer (an NFL franchise) likes you so much they are willing to risk it by keeping you.

Oh no.....I'm really liking this hire. The numbers I posted were to show the poster "Doro" that he can and does stop the run. Seeing the rankings in chronological order shows him taking a crappy Lions run D, and gradually improving it to 6th.......as well as showing how he re-established his run D after it dropped off while DC at the Titans. This to me is very important. He has taken two low ranked run Ds and improved them to 5th/6th. This has me very encouraged.

I know you do I apologize if that came off as directed at you. I'm with you and my post was meant as an add in to what you posted. I'm very happy with this move as well.

One might say that, but they would be wrong IMO. Discipline comes from the top. Biq ???? for Marrone going forward.

It does start at the top, and picking a guy with a history of undisciplined squads lends to the growth of that question mark. IE a disciplined head coach likely avoids an undisciplined coordinator, though maybe they both turn that aspect around this year.

I'm not terribly impressed with this guy's resume. There are a few good defensive seasons on there, but when you look at overall yds, y/a, and pts allowed, most of his seasons have been mediocre to bad, statistically speaking anyway. And he's had a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball both in TN and DET.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm

Just for ***** and giggles, compare his defenses to Wade Phillips' over the last 10 years if you feel so inclined.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

So...if I get this right...you'd prefer a move BACK to the 3-4? Even a Canadian recognizes the stupidity in that thought process.