Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

Alright that is a huge stretch to me as the buddy buddy hire that many like to kill Brandon and Marrone for though.

I have to ask though since you are not on board... What hire would you have been on board with? I laid out some of the concerns about the other candidates so I'm curious who and why would have been a better hire to you.

I'm in the opposite camp I would love a thanksgiving day Bills game!

Schwartz was low on my list, but not a guy I'll declare a failure before he even arrives though.

I wasn't strongly opposed to the Henderson/oneill options of continuity, but trust that we were familiar enough with them to make a call one way or the other.

Outside the organization I liked the names from Pitt and SF being thrown around, and would've been good with wade over Schwartz too. Trying to stick to rumored names here. Didnt like pepper particularly, I'd put JS over him.

Essentially Schwartz would've made my list but he would've been low on it for a variety of reasons.ill admit it was a tough spot with tough timing though, and Schwartz isn't bad but I'm not particularly thrilled either and think many are overrating him

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this point was raised but this is the second big hire the Bills made a quick decision. Wasn't Marrone the first HC hire last year? The Bills didn't let this linger, which to me is a massive change. The Bills never hired anyone fast when Ralph was involved. Maybe it was because no one wanted to work for Ralph. Now we get a name hire right off the bat, no messing around. This is different for Buffalo.

PTR

Things are certainly different at OBD.

Marrone has twice gone out and hired some of the best minds for defense.

I don't know if this point was raised but this is the second big hire the Bills made a quick decision. Wasn't Marrone the first HC hire last year? The Bills didn't let this linger, which to me is a massive change. The Bills never hired anyone fast when Ralph was involved. Maybe it was because no one wanted to work for Ralph. Now we get a name hire right off the bat, no messing around. This is different for Buffalo.

PTR

You mean to tell me Chan Gaily wasn't a name hire? :D

Whose secondary is better? Buffalo's or Detroit's?

Buffalo's at times, though we did have Justin Rogers playing big minutes along side D'Norris Searcy at one point, and Detroit refused to bring pressure to help them out. 33 sacks in total. 3.5 by 1 LB, 4 by all of their DBs combined.

Bills had 16.5 from 4 different LBs and 7.5 out of their DBs. Our pressure made people like Aaron Williams and Leodis McKelvin seem a lot more competent than they had been previously. Williams was even half decent at CB for a spell when we had injuries.

this is something. i have to think about it. is it good? yes. can it be bad? yes.

Worst case, not as bad as wanny and Edwards. Best case, could be better than pettine. So that's good, I agree.

Reality- could go a few ways but I think its safe that it won't be straight up bad like many feared earlier this week.

This is a total surprise. Never considered him a candidate. I assumed he'd be an HC somewhere again.

Maybe someday but he has the worst 5 year record of any head coach to last 5 years since the mid 70s, so it seems fitting he's taking a step back first.

Maybe someday but he has the worst 5 year record of any head coach to last 5 years since the mid 70s, so it seems fitting he's taking a step back first.

This actually is a good thing. He is still due money so he could have sat out looking for another HC gig but he didn't. I would imagine he wants to be a HC again in the NFL. The fact that he was still due millions, and STILL took this job, must mean he has supreme confidence in the players that are here. That's a good sign. Especially for someone who, I believe, would want to be a head coach again. He thinks he can add to his resume with this group. I think its a fantastic signing. Losing Pettine hurt, but we still sucked against the run and hes great against the run. We have the personel to get it done too. Also, with a young coaching staff, bringing in someone with so much experience can only help. Love the move

I'm reserving judgment until I see whether or not Washburn comes along. If he does I'm completely and utterly against this move. Washburn = wide 9 which requires quality LBs that we do not have. Watch Washburn's work in Philly in 2011-12, it was an absolute mess.

A stat that folks will like to throw around is DET was 6th against the run. They were also 19th in yards per carry and had the 4th fewest rushing attempts against. Nobody bothered running because their pass defense was crap. They were 19th in yards per pass also, and 28th in sacks so why run?

Another one is 3rd down conversion rate.

Detroit gave up 290 first downs this year. 217 on 1st or 2nd Down. Detroit had 211 3rd down attempts and gave up 64 first downs

Buffalo gave up 308 first downs. 213 on 1st or 2nd Down. Buffalo had 245 3rd down attempts and gave up 91 first downs

So Detroit was better on 3rd down but worse on 1st and 2nd. Yay? They did give up 18 fewer first downs than the Bills did all told but that's not necessarily indicative of good defense. If you give up big plays you'll give up less 1st downs in total. Case in point, New Orleans gave up the least 1st downs in the league.

Washburn was retained under Caldwell and is still a coach on the Lions.

I certainly was not expecting this.

As much as I hated seeing Pettine leave, I am surprised & thrilled that the Bills did not waste any time and signed Schwartz.

Good move by the Bills.

Maybe we'll get that Thanksgiving game next season.

Tim Graham really must be sick. He's tweeting something positive about the Bills:

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 6m

Sorry for not tweeting Schwartz hire. Been bedridden today ... Great hire. Hope for Bills fans their team doesn't need another DC in 2015.

Expand

He wasn't too sick to RT Skurski's work that said all was quiet about 15 minutes after they New Orleans guy started the Schwartz ball rolling. Nor was he too sick to post nasty tweets toward people who responded to his baiting of Cleveland with a link to his Tim Tebow tripe from June. He is useless.