Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

See if you can pull a video or two of Wisconsin this season--have a look at Chris Borland; perfect thumper to go next to Kiko. Will very likely be there in round 2 (not round 3 after his work in Senior Bowl practices).

I really like Borland. As a Buckeye fan, I remember him trucking Carlos Hyde at the goal line in the OSU-Wisc game this year. Something I saw maybe one other guy do in the last 2 years. Hyde is a huge, fast RB who will also picked in the 1st 2 rounds and it was an NFL play. Borland is a great prospect for a MLB. Another guy to look at in a later round is Max Bullough from MSU. Needs to get a little bigger.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard anything about how much turnover is expected among the D assistants?

As far as I have heard. Pettine has requested to "interview" O'Niel (OLB), Weaver (DL), and a quality control guy. All came with him, they don;t have a ton of experience. I have not heard the Bills have granted interviews so far, probably because they want Schwartz to first evaluate them for his staff and then they will decide if they want to let them go.

I've found a really great NY Times article from a few years ago when the Jets were prepping to play the Titans with Schwartz as DC. It's an insightful read.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Yeah, this has been nagging at me. Look, I love Kiko and he did a great job, a phenomenal job of calling defensive plays and being a coverage LB. He did struggle against the run (they all did) and while I think he'll improve I would love it if we got a real run killer in the middle and put Kiko as the WLB where he should get even more interceptions.

I believe the Bills stated publically last year that they had Kiko at MLB because he was the best they had to play the position at the time but they would prefer to move him to the weak side. I am sure with Schwartz here they will either sign a FA MLB or draft one fairly high,

See if you can pull a video or two of Wisconsin this season--have a look at Chris Borland; perfect thumper to go next to Kiko. Will very likely be there in round 2 (not round 3 after his work in Senior Bowl practices).

Thanks, I will check him out.

Brilliant read. This guy is the epitome of what I want as DC. Can't wait to see his schemes deployed. He is an upgrade over Pettine.

That was a very informative aritcle. He seems like a really smart guy. Giving the D lineman a quiz in front of the whole Defense on Fridays? Sounds like pretty good preparation to me. I liked the hire when I heard it, but I like it even more now.

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

:wallbash:

Outstanding post.

I think that the fact that Schwartz is already pocketing a cool 12 mil over the next 2 years from the Ford family, yet still wants to be here to direct this D, speaks volumes. And perhaps this also enabled Littman/Ralph to low-ball the Bills end of the contribution ... (I say that in jest as fodder for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd).

A resume-builder for sure, but if we were to play poorly defensively, it would not help Schwartz get another HC gig anytime soon. But I think he's ours for at least the next two years, after which they will all be fired if EJ sucks and/or we keep going 6-10.

Like many have also expressed, I think the Schwartz hiring process as a whole represents the new era in the Bills leadership and decision-making. As far as the Downing hire, any QB coach is better than no QB coach. But this guy has already worked a bit with EJ and Thad, who seem very coachable compared to a "just let her rip" talent like Stafford.

If Schwartz slides Kiko over to the weak side where he can track down plays with his gazelle-like speed, look out. We'd just need a true MLB that is not on the roster yet. The Bills D may not lead the league in sacks again in 2014, but I am betting that we will stop the run with in-their-prime dudes up front like Mario, Kyle, Marcel, and Alan/Alex. Plus we do have above average talent in that secondary, and with a franchised Byrd serving as icing on the cake, our DBs are borderline elite. No wonder he's coaching here for free.

I always thought Harbaugh deserved the postgame chase-down Schwartzy gave him ... let's give him a few of the swizzle sticks Walt Corey left behind and let's go get after some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

The Bills need only one thing to be successful in 2014. And that is a healthy EJ playing at a higher level than he did in 2013. Give me that and in today's NFL, most everything else can fall into place.

IMO they took huge steps so far... they admitted they should have had a QB coach and then they went out and got one.

I really like Borland. As a Buckeye fan, I remember him trucking Carlos Hyde at the goal line in the OSU-Wisc game this year. Something I saw maybe one other guy do in the last 2 years. Hyde is a huge, fast RB who will also picked in the 1st 2 rounds and it was an NFL play. Borland is a great prospect for a MLB. Another guy to look at in a later round is Max Bullough from MSU. Needs to get a little bigger.

Just saw his highlight video and looked at his scouting report. He doesn't have ideal size, but I wouldn't guess it looking at the tackles he made. If we could get him in the third (or late second, I'm holding out for that trade down) that could be a steal and I'm salivating at the idea of him paired with Kiko.

Outstanding post.

I think that the fact that Schwartz is already pocketing a cool 12 mil over the next 2 years from the Ford family, yet still wants to be here to direct this D, speaks volumes. And perhaps this also enabled Littman/Ralph to low-ball the Bills end of the contribution ... (I say that in jest as fodder for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd).

A resume-builder for sure, but if we were to play poorly defensively, it would not help Schwartz get another HC gig anytime soon. But I think he's ours for at least the next two years, after which they will all be fired if EJ sucks and/or we keep going 6-10.

Like many have also expressed, I think the Schwartz hiring process as a whole represents the new era in the Bills leadership and decision-making. As far as the Downing hire, any QB coach is better than no QB coach. But this guy has already worked a bit with EJ and Thad, who seem very coachable compared to a "just let her rip" talent like Stafford.

If Schwartz slides Kiko over to the weak side where he can track down plays with his gazelle-like speed, look out. We'd just need a true MLB that is not on the roster yet. The Bills D may not lead the league in sacks again in 2014, but I am betting that we will stop the run with in-their-prime dudes up front like Mario, Kyle, Marcel, and Alan/Alex. Plus we do have above average talent in that secondary, and with a franchised Byrd serving as icing on the cake, our DBs are borderline elite. No wonder he's coaching here for free.

I always thought Harbaugh deserved the postgame chase-down Schwartzy gave him ... let's give him a few of the swizzle sticks Walt Corey left behind and let's go get after some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it is always possible, I am not sure Scwartz gets another HC job in the next couple years even if the Defense here is outstanding and they go to the playoffs... his HC record was so poor, with really no excuses (talent, division, dome), I think it would be a tough sell for any team to bring him in as a HC. He is the perfect DC. And he isn't looking to make the big payday and get his one big chance like some (maybe Pettine) because he he making bank from the Lions still.

Maybe Jim Schwartz and Jim Kelly can have a little get together with Jim Harbaugh and... ahem... "sort things out" :devil:

His defenses have had some solid and so-so years, but he does have the distinct mark of overseeing defenses that have finished last in the league twice in the last eight years (TN in 2006 and DET in 2009).

I always thought he coached dirty - just like his immediate predecessor, Gregg Williams.

He has had 3 top ten defenses in 13 years in terms of yardage an only 2 in terms of points, which is below average. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm .

He also took over the #1 defense from 2000 and took it to 25th the next season.

I'm not thrilled about the hire, but I'll hope for the best.

I did like that NY Times article, by the way!

Edited by dave mcbride

His defenses have had some solid and so-so years, but he does have the distinct mark of overseeing defenses that have finished last in the league twice in the last eight years (TN in 2006 and DET in 2009).

I always thought he coached dirty - just like his immediate predecessor, Gregg Williams.

He has had 3 top ten defenses in 13 years, which is below average. http://www.pro-footb...hes/SchwJi0.htm .

He also took over the #1 defense from 2000 and took it to 25th the next season.

I'm not thrilled about the hire, but I'll hope for the best.

Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but 2001 was his first year in a DC role. That was 13 years ago.I don't know what the other dynamics were on the defense/team that year... but they were in the playoffs soon after. He went to the playoffs 4 times as a DC in 7 years.

Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but 2001 was his first year in a DC role. That was 13 years ago.I don't know what the other dynamics were on the defense/team that year... but they were in the playoffs soon after. He went to the playoffs 4 times as a DC in 7 years.

Fair point, but 13 years is a long record. We can make some conclusions at this point, and overall his defenses are middle of the pack and no better than that: 7 times in the bottom half of the league for yards and 6 in the top half; 8 times ini the bottom half of the league for points and 5 in the top half.

I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet.

Edited by dave mcbride

Fair point, but 13 years is a long record. We can make some conclusions at this point, and overall his defenses are middle of the pack and no better than that: 7 times in the bottom half of the league for yards and 6 in the top half; 8 times ini the bottom half of the league for points and 5 in the top half.

I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet.

I am pretty sure he wasn't calling the defense in the last 5 years that he was a HC, but would need to check on that.

If you just look at it like a hire for any other job, he's a home run. Experience? Check. Recommendations from Belichick and Fisher. If they get the personnel right, I think Schwartz will know what to do and give the Bills a good defense. There were other choices, but none obviously better than Schwartz.

I am pretty sure he wasn't calling the defense in the last 5 years that he was a HC, but would need to check on that.

I am sure Gunther Cunningham was calling defense in Detroit.

Borland=Zack Thomas

Had same thought.

Like the Schwartz hire, he'll bring same philosophy as Pettine (aggression, attack and disguise), whether the defense scheme is identical is less important to me. Not crazy about the Downey hire, I like that we have a QB coach, would have preferred someone with a better recent track record. Stafford's mechanics were awful this year. It's all about the QB so I have concerns.