Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

Interesting that all around the NFL.....writers, coaches...players...etc like this hire but Bills fans do not.

There are people in the world who simply will never be happy no matter what.

At least we're not all scratching our heads asking "Who?" with this hire.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post, KTD (as usual). Every post regarding supposedly switching schemes should reference this.

Pettine said he would design the scheme around the personnel, and he did.

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

:wallbash:

This should be an automated response every time someone mentions the 4-3 vs. 3-4 thing.

Last time bills ran a real 3-4 I remember, there was a guy nicknamed biscuit on the roster... They never amassed the LB talent or true NT to make the conversion to a legit 3-4....

That said, I do hope they don't do a total reboot on the scheme as the players must have their head spinning by now. 4 coordinators in 4 seasons. Edwards, Wanny, Pettine, now Schwartz.

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

:wallbash:

Only thing I want is a 4-3 MLB. That aint Kiko and I've seen enough of Bradham to know that he can't hold down the spot. Get a MLB, move Alonso outside on early (typical run) downs and back to the middle on passing downs. Very versatile defense if they acquire a MLB.

Last time bills ran a real 3-4 I remember, there was a guy nicknamed biscuit on the roster... They never amassed the LB talent or true NT to make the conversion to a legit 3-4....

That said, I do hope they don't do a total reboot on the scheme as the players must have their head spinning by now. 4 coordinators in 4 seasons. Edwards, Wanny, Pettine, now Schwartz.

If you count Edwards 2 schemes in 2 years and of course the DC before him it's 6 schemes and 5 coaches in 6 years. Can't fault us on pettine though.

He more so complained about switching coaches.

you don't make a coaching hire based on what will make one player happy. I've seen enough of this talk to last me a lifetime. You make your hire based on the best person for the job. Marrone feels that Schwartz is that guy, we will see. To worry about how Byrd will respond is short sighted. He like any player can be replaced if the Bills decide to let him walk.

Could not be happier with this hire. I might like Schwartz more than Pettine. Most of it already has been said but let me sum up what I view to be the high points:

1) Aggressive mentality

2) He's young and hungry and wants to reboot his career after the Detroit debacle (as have many solid coaches who got stuck in the morass that is that franchise) - he has every incentive to perform here.

3) Experienced with a variety of different defensive looks.

4) Big analytics guy, always has been - fits with what Marrone & Whaley want to do (who knows if Detroit had a supportive environment for analytics).

5) Former HC is exactly what Marrone needs on staff - someone who not only can run his side of the team without Marrone's help, but can also be a sounding board for Marrone who is still very green as an NFL head coach.

6) Learned under Fisher who I believe is the best HC in the NFL (that's right, I said it).

7) Has instant track record and credibility - the players will respect him from Day 1.

8) As Kelly said, the fact that they moved swiftly and landed a guy like this - both a "name" and an "outsider" - shows that this is a different Bills Front Office - DO NOT understate how important this is, fellow fans!

GREAT hire.

#8 is the one I thought of instantly too. This is such a different front office than it used to be. Old bills would have pulled some ancient relic of a DC out of moth balls, one whom ralphie played jump rope with in middle school in the 1920s, promoted the punter coach to DC or pulled in a safety coach from marrone's cuse days.

Schwarz to me is an up and comer that will be a successful head coach some day, and earned his way to his first crack by being a top notch DC.

It may or may not pan out, but this front office makes moves, real substantive ones.

#8 is the one I thought of instantly too. This is such a different front office than it used to be. Old bills would have pulled some ancient relic of a DC out of moth balls, one whom ralphie played jump rope with in middle school in the 1920s, promoted the punter coach to DC or pulled in a safety coach from marrone's cuse days.

Schwarz to me is an up and comer that will be a successful head coach some day, and earned his way to his first crack by being a top notch DC.

It may or may not pan out, but this front office makes moves, real substantive ones.

Agree 100%. He's also going to "coach angry" since he got fired - which is exactly what I want for this defense. I'm stoked.

Only thing I want is a 4-3 MLB. That aint Kiko and I've seen enough of Bradham to know that he can't hold down the spot. Get a MLB, move Alonso outside on early (typical run) downs and back to the middle on passing downs. Very versatile defense if they acquire a MLB.

See if you can pull a video or two of Wisconsin this season--have a look at Chris Borland; perfect thumper to go next to Kiko. Will very likely be there in round 2 (not round 3 after his work in Senior Bowl practices).

If you count Edwards 2 schemes in 2 years and of course the DC before him it's 6 schemes and 5 coaches in 6 years. Can't fault us on pettine though.

I guess it's refreshing to have had a coach who became coveted at the next level... I am trying to remember the last coordinator who was poached from buffalo....

Fewell is the closest example it could think of, and it's really not an example as he was canned, then picked up by the giants.

See if you can pull a video or two of Wisconsin this season--have a look at Chris Borland; perfect thumper to go next to Kiko. Will very likely be there in round 2 (not round 3 after his work in Senior Bowl practices).

Borland would be a great pick but he strikes me as a guy who will go in the top five picks on Day 2.

I've found a really great NY Times article from a few years ago when the Jets were prepping to play the Titans with Schwartz as DC. It's an insightful read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all

Yeah, this has been nagging at me. Look, I love Kiko and he did a great job, a phenomenal job of calling defensive plays and being a coverage LB. He did struggle against the run (they all did) and while I think he'll improve I would love it if we got a real run killer in the middle and put Kiko as the WLB where he should get even more interceptions.

I've found a really great NY Times article from a few years ago when the Jets were prepping to play the Titans with Schwartz as DC. It's an insightful read.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Brilliant read. This guy is the epitome of what I want as DC. Can't wait to see his schemes deployed. He is an upgrade over Pettine.

Raiding the Detroit coaching staff? Shooting pretty low...

If they change to 4-3, how might it effect the draft?

Shwartz was hired in Detroit because of his success as D coordinator in Tennessee. He is an excellent coordinator. I like it a lot.

Fantastic (and fast!) hires. On the QB coach, great move. He has experience coaching a good NFL QB that has put up some huge #s. We weren't going to get the QB coach for Peyton, Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Lets jhust be glad they pulled the trigger on hiring one, and not one fro, Syracuse U!

As far as Schwartz, I could not be more excited. He is one the very best DCs in the NFL over the last 15 yrs. He has gone to playoffs 4 times as a DC, in the AFC) and one time as an HC. He is a tough, attacking DC and I think he will get the best out of Marcel. He has had to work with some "different" guys who are supremely talented but had to work through various issues like Suh and Fairley. Our Secondary coach is staying and did a great job last year with AW, Byrd, McKelvin, Robey. We aren't going to lose the great schemes Pettine ran last year to get these guys in places to make plays. But I think this is an upgrade overall in DC. Maybe already mentioned, but it also shows Marrone is not threatened by having a more experienced HC on his staff. Rather, he wants to win and he and Whaley are doing what it takes. I think the players will be stoked.

you don't make a coaching hire based on what will make one player happy. I've seen enough of this talk to last me a lifetime. You make your hire based on the best person for the job. Marrone feels that Schwartz is that guy, we will see. To worry about how Byrd will respond is short sighted. He like any player can be replaced if the Bills decide to let him walk.

+1. If Byrd left, he would be.. um.... changing coaches and changing schemes. So why would it make him leave? He also has been successful under every DC we have had and evert scheme, so I don't think he is worried about his production going down. Plus, his position coach is staying, and he loves him,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all

Yeah, this has been nagging at me. Look, I love Kiko and he did a great job, a phenomenal job of calling defensive plays and being a coverage LB. He did struggle against the run (they all did) and while I think he'll improve I would love it if we got a real run killer in the middle and put Kiko as the WLB where he should get even more interceptions.

Good read - thanks for the find and share. Got even me a little amped up for him

Edited by NoSaint