Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the Schwartz hire, he'll bring same philosophy as Pettine (aggression, attack and disguise), whether the defense scheme is identical is less important to me. Not crazy about the Downey hire, I like that we have a QB coach, would have preferred someone with a better recent track record. Stafford's mechanics were awful this year. It's all about the QB so I have concerns.

My thinking is that Stafford had no desire to change his mechanics. He's gotten by with a very unorthodox delivery and I'm skeptical that he wanted to change. That said...we have no clue whether Downey can improve EJ's mechanics because we haven't seen him be successful with other QBs.

When you're the head coach, it's ALWAYS your fault. He takes the blame or the credit, depending -- after all, Schwartz HIRED the DC.

That's fine... but keep in mind that most people on this board have given Marrone zero credit for any of our defense's success last year.

That's fine... but keep in mind that most people on this board have given Marrone zero credit for any of our defense's success last year.

I agree some are certainly irrational/hypocritical on that evaluation as you point out

As a defensive head coach I think it's especially hard to separate him from the lions defense though

My thinking is that Stafford had no desire to change his mechanics. He's gotten by with a very unorthodox delivery and I'm skeptical that he wanted to change. That said...we have no clue whether Downey can improve EJ's mechanics because we haven't seen him be successful with other QBs.

As if an NFL coach (a QB coach nonetheless) can't identify and work on the same issues a bunch of message board fans have pointed out--for starters.

Secondly, on what planet would Staffords QB performance not fly in Buffalo? Although, I think our peanut gallery WOULD B word about his throwing slot en route to a 5000 yard 40 TD season!

Tim Graham really must be sick. He's tweeting something positive about the Bills:

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 6m

Sorry for not tweeting Schwartz hire. Been bedridden today ... Great hire. Hope for Bills fans their team doesn't need another DC in 2015.

Expand

Making excuses for getting blindsided by the Schwartz hire. :lol:

PTR

As if an NFL coach (a QB coach nonetheless) can't identify and work on the same issues a bunch of message board fans have pointed out--for starters.

Secondly, on what planet would Staffords QB performance not fly in Buffalo? Although, I think our peanut gallery WOULD B word about his throwing slot en route to a 5000 yard 40 TD season!

Remind me which of those points refutes beerballs assertion that we just don't know what if any expertise he has not just identifying but effectively correcting mechanics?

I like the "Yards per Drive" stat when looking at DCs because some offenses force their defenses to be on the field a lot so, of course, those defenses are going to give up more total yards than a defense that only faces the opposing O eight or ten times in a game. Here's how Schwartz's Titan D was ranked in yards per drive when he was last a DC:

2001 26th

2002 16th

2003 13th

2004 26th

2005 18th

2006 29th

2007 5th

2008 5th

Overall, it's a mediocre record. But at the end of his tenure in Tennessee he finished 5th twice in a row. Was there an influx of talent? Or did he become a better DC? I'm hoping it was the latter.

I like the "Yards per Drive" stat when looking at DCs because some offenses force their defenses to be on the field a lot so, of course, those defenses are going to give up more total yards than a defense that only faces the opposing O eight or ten times in a game. Here's how Schwartz's Titan D was ranked in yards per drive when he was last a DC:

2001 26th

2002 16th

2003 13th

2004 26th

2005 18th

2006 29th

2007 5th

2008 5th

Overall, it's a mediocre record. But at the end of his tenure in Tennessee he finished 5th twice in a row. Was there an influx of talent? Or did he become a better DC? I'm hoping it was the latter.

I think a lot of these stats are like determining the temperature just by measuring the wind. Without knowing what the point differences were in each game, what the offense was doing, etc, looking at yards is pointless.

I'm not terribly impressed with this guy's resume. There are a few good defensive seasons on there, but when you look at overall yds, y/a, and pts allowed, most of his seasons have been mediocre to bad, statistically speaking anyway. And he's had a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball both in TN and DET.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/SchwJi0.htm

Just for ***** and giggles, compare his defenses to Wade Phillips' over the last 10 years if you feel so inclined.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/PhilWa0.htm

I know people like to point to average points per game as an indicator if a defensive unit is good, but I like to look at % of drives ending in scores and average points per drive. Here's how Schwartz has faired as DC:

2002 - % of DEIS: 27.1(5th in NFL) APD: 1.58(8th in NFL)

2003 - % of DEIS: 29.8(15th in NFL) APD: 1.53(12th in NFL)

2004 - % of DEIS: 36.5(26th in NFL) APD: 2.07(28th in NFL)

2005 - % of DEIS: 33.8(23rd in NFL) APD: 1.94(27th in NFL)

2006 - % of DEIS: 37.3(27th in NFL) APD: 2.06(29th in NFL)

2007 - % of DEIS: 27.3(7th in NFL) APD: 1.52(11th in NFL)

2008 - % of DEIS: 23.2(2nd in NFL) APD: 1.21(3rd in NFL)

It's a mixed bag really. What look like some good defensive units sandwich a 3 year period of bad defenses. The 2007, 2008 defenses were top 5 in the league. Overall, the Titans from 2004-06 were a pretty bad teams overall to begin with, these were on the downside of McNair's career and Billy Volek was getting time at QB. 2006 was Vince's Young's rookie year.

I'm happy the Bills went outt and executed their plan and got "their guy". I can't really ask for more than that. Could they have gone a different way? Sure, and people/fans would still be upset. We'll just have to see how this plays out. Maybe Schwartz thinks he needs to prove himself again after his failed stint as HC.

BTW, his defensive units in Detroit, besides his first year, didn't finish below 15 in both % of scoring drive ending in points and average points per drive. I don't really think this says much about his DC abilities, but at least they were top half of he league.

Yeah, when I looked at Tenn's defenses, I saw a bad 3-year period from 2004-2006. But the defenses outside of it were very good. And the year after Schwartz left Tenn, they went from 2nd in scoring defense...to 28th.

I imagine he would flourish in just about any scheme. The guy is going to be a star IMO.

Agree, but if you believe Kiko should slide outside and you have Lawson, I think Bills would prefer Mosley a pure middle vs. Mack --- I think Mack might be the better talent --- Barr is the most versatile of the 3 and I believe he'd fit Pettine's D the best with it's constant shifting and changing --- so, a lot will depend how set Schwartz is on alignment vs. disguise