Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

I'd say hanging your hat so strongly on fixing one ranking is a bit like saying who cares if he's not a good route runner or physical- we need a tall WR and hardy is the man!

Schwartz has been a good coordinator and I don't mean to come across all negative here but honestly run D isn't at the top of my most important qualities. I hope he does great but I'm a bit concerned by the issues on his résumé and that he may be another friend hire. He has talent a chance to surpass pettine though and that's what I'll be cheering for.

Aren't they ALL friend hires ?

Honestly .

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One might say the quickest way for marrone to turn that around would be his choice at DC. Obviously I can't say Schwartz won't but it's a little bit of a question moving forward both on Schwartz and our HC

werent the killer penalties on the O line though.

I consider PI a judgement call and not player error at this point in the NFL

No it's not just you. The different feel continues for me as well. This move was not at all same old Bills. I was wondering after the plan in place talk when the shoe would drop. I didn't at all expect to see the hire be someone like this. A name guy, proven recent track record, and universally approved by the press. Certainly not a George Edwards/wannstache type hire.

Totally agree. I like it. I'm in the camp that isn't too concerned about losing Pettine.

While I liked Pettine, it was easy to like him given that the recent bar had been set so low. What Pettine did do is set up Schwartz nicely in terms of what the strengths and weaknesses of the players were. I am hoping and confident Schwartz can take that info and improve the weaknesses (run, scoring) and enhance or maintain the strengths (turnovers).

werent the killer penalties on the O line though.

I consider PI a judgement call and not player error at this point in the NFL

Especially when the Seattle DBs, considered the best secondary in the league, are basically coached to commit PI on every snap and just see if it gets called, which it usually doesn't. The refs are so inconsistent anyway, half of the PIs aren't even PI.

Someone who knows more than I please explain why Kiko is not a good fit as a 4-3 ILB. Is it just that he would be a better WOLB? Help me out. I just did some research on 4-3 ILB's, and Kiko seems perfect.

It's not that he's a bad fit. In fact, I think he did a pretty good job. I think what some people are worried about is that Kiko showed some definite flaws in his run defense. He overpursued at times. WOLB would take advantage of Kiko's impressive speed and take advantage of his impressive skill level at diagnosing coverages.

Of course, if he gets some experience and coaching at run stopping he would still be a good choice for MLB, but if there is a really great candidate who could hold it, that would be an incredible front 7.

Especially when the Seattle DBs, considered the best secondary in the league, are basically coached to commit PI on every snap and just see if it gets called, which it usually doesn't. The refs are so inconsistent anyway, half of the PIs aren't even PI.

Yep

Good move Marrone. Hired experiece in the NFL. Both new coachs have been around the NFL. They certainly were prepared for this move when the Browns came calling. That in it's self shows we did something right. Give credit when deserved.

Agreed , Bills now appear as if quite prepared for the Pettine move.

well done.

Raiding the Detroit coaching staff? Shooting pretty low...

If they change to 4-3, how might it effect the draft?

The Bills don't get the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. They get the leftovers. Too bad Schwartz isn't bringing Suh with him. Let's face it, the Bills are near the bottom of the food chain. The other coach also sounds unremarkable. Oh well, it's the curse of being a Bills fan.

See if you can pull a video or two of Wisconsin this season--have a look at Chris Borland; perfect thumper to go next to Kiko. Will very likely be there in round 2 (not round 3 after his work in Senior Bowl practices).

Borland is really good. I also like Shayne Skov out of Stanford. Very aggressive, fiery and has a nose for the ball.

He was named Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Quarterback

He got a HC job....must have had something to do with it? I see your point... but the DCs under Pete Carroll are highly sought after and the same may be said about them.

How many Pats coordinators have done the same. I'm not saying the guy sucks, but if your best argument for him is that the Detroit f'n Lions, the only team to ever go 0-16, who just hired Jim Caldwell of all people to be their HC, decided to put him in charge, then you don't have much of an argument at all.

To me it's a good hire based on two things.

(1) His past experience and stats as a DC

(2) He is an upgrade over George Edwards and Wanny.

I'm excited to see how he changes the run defense around. As a DC, he's had a top 5 run D which I'm VERY excited about. I can't remember the last time the Bills had a top 5 run defense.

The Bills don't get the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. They get the leftovers. Too bad Schwartz isn't bringing Suh with him. Let's face it, the Bills are near the bottom of the food chain. The other coach also sounds unremarkable. Oh well, it's the curse of being a Bills fan.

Who else is out there that is better? we got the best guy on the market.

Only thing I want is a 4-3 MLB. That aint Kiko and I've seen enough of Bradham to know that he can't hold down the spot. Get a MLB, move Alonso outside on early (typical run) downs and back to the middle on passing downs. Very versatile defense if they acquire a MLB.

Last year I really wanted them to sign Karlos Dansby. They easily could have had him IMO with a decent contract offer. It wouldn't have affected them drafting Kiko who immediately would have been on the outside. And played the middle as you said on passing downs. Our defense could have been significantly better with that lineup.

I understand it might not have been a viable option because of the history, but since you asked, Wade Phillips' resume is leaps & bounds ahead of Schwartz's.

Well, we could have had him too. The point is that we didn't get "leftovers" because we are the bills. We obviously liked Schwartz more than wade.