Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So based on the responses I've seen so far, this is either a good move or a crappy move.

That said, Aaron Williams seems to like it.

Edited by Rubes

So thinking out loud; Schwartz was in Tenn with the D that Greggo ran (the 46) and I think that was the same/similar to what Buddy Ryan ran there. Rex to Balt with his daddy's d; Pettine joins him there and to the Jets and to us.

Schwartz should be familiar with our new scheme....

So where does Kevin Bacon fit in here....

Edit - I just checked. Gregg was linebackers coach under Buddy Ryan, Schwartz was secondary coach there before we got Gregg, Gregg came to us Schwartz became DC...

Should be very similar scheme...

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

I can't feel comfortable looking at staffords stats. He worked with a 'mega' talent that no one else has.

True. But I'm happy that they finally have a dedicated QB coach, and I'd rather Stafford's numbers looked good than not.

True. But I'm happy that they finally have a dedicated QB coach, and I'd rather Stafford's numbers looked good than not.

I get that. In this case, I feel good numbers mean nothing, and bad numbers are a red flag...

So to me its a wait and see.

So thinking out loud; Schwartz was in Tenn with the D that Greggo ran (the 46) and I think that was the same/similar to what Buddy Ryan ran there. Rex to Balt with his daddy's d; Pettine joins him there and to the Jets and to us.

Schwartz should be familiar with our new scheme....

So where does Kevin Bacon fit in here....

The scheme doesn't worry me as much as the disorganized, unprepared, undisciplined, underachieving mess he's leaving behind in Detroit. Hopefully he's a good cog in a system and just a poor CEO

Edited by NoSaint

I wanted Wade, but I think that this is a good hire. He is more than capable. I dare say that, if we had the choice between him and Pettine last year, most of us would have chosen Schwartz. Don't get me wrong. I really like Pettine and, knowing what I know after this past year, I would have loved it if he had remained our DC. Nevertheless, Schwartz is a very good hire, and there should be more continuity in the defensive schemes (as opposed to others that we may have hired).

As for O"Neill, the Bills should let the Browns twist in the wind for a week and take their time deciding whether they want to keep him.

@AlbertBreer

One source on what the Bills liked in Schwartz: "Everything". Buffalo had plan in place in case Pettine got the Browns job, and executed it.

This comment eases the sting of losing Pettine after one season---the organization is proactive even when it is forced to be reactive. Preparedness inspires confidence.

The scheme doesn't worry me as much as the disorganized, unprepared, undisciplined, underachieving mess he's leaving behind in Detroit. Hopefully he's a good cog in a system and CEO

Obviously good concerns, but he was a good dc...Maybe he just sucked as a HC