Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents ... If the Browns hire Pettine this year, they have some brass balls. As others have pointed out, it would have to be considered a PR disaster to hire a coordinator from the 6-10 Bills. It could end up being the right move for Cle, but it would take some guts to pull the trigger. Here's hoping they don't ...

Yes.

Fox News fan here. Pettine discussion to continue........... If he goes, good for him. Bills could have denied him the interview and that would be their right but not in his best interest. Cleveland is a city desperate for a quality HC and I can't blame them. I don't think Pettine's time is now. If he was smart, he'd wait for an offer from a more stable team. The Browns, from ownership to GM, has been under the gun for the past year. I think the job will go to an OC in the playoffs, either Denver OC Gase or NE OC McDaniel.
Personally, I prefer non-fiction......

The HC trend seems to be toward offensive coaches as well, which works against Pettine, toward Bills --- 11 of the last 14 NFL HC's hired were from offensive side of the ball --- Offensive HC's: Caldwell, Whisenhunt, Gruden, O'Brien, Marrone, Trestman, Arians, Reid, Kelly, McCoy and Chudzinski --- Defensive HC's: L Smith, Zimmer and Bradley --- that's 80% ! ---- I think trend toward offense in the game is translating at HC position ---- to me, that makes Pettine a long shot --- and Gase the odds on favorite

If the were (or someone else) were to take Pettine away, It might be possible to get the Browns Ray Horton as DC (if he hasn't been picked up elsewhere yet)....

Ray Horton reportedly top choice for Titans defensive coordinator

http://profootballta...ve-coordinator/

By the time the Frowns name a HC, the good assistants will be gone

Edited by YoloinOhio

Mike Rodak of ESPN is speculating if Pettine is hired he will likely take outside linebackers coach Jim O'Neil and defensive line coach Anthony Weaver and pegged Donnie Henderson as a "wild card" and wouldn't rule him out becoming the next DC in Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/6573/pettines-departure-would-set-back-bills

I don't think the Bills could sustain a gut job like that on the defensive side---atleast short term.

Mike Rodak of ESPN is speculating if Pettine is hired he will likely take outside linebackers coach Jim O'Neil and defensive line coach Anthony Weaver and pegged Donnie Henderson as a "wild card" and wouldn't rule him out becoming the next DC in Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/b...-set-back-bills

I don't think the Bills could sustain a gut job like that on the defensive side---atleast short term.

I hadn't considered the impact on the assistants coupled with the picked over coaches market --- this would have a significantly negative impact on this team at this stage of the rebuild ----

You know what's crazy --- why wouldn't the Bills promote Pettine to HC ? . . . . if you read through this entire board, he's the one coach universally loved and the one most recognized as successful --- fire Marrone and promote Pettine --- take a look around the league at the number of times a HOT coordinator got away --- I think Colts kept the wrong guy, Arians is better HC than Pagano --- or Payton leaving Dallas --- or Zimmer leaving Cincy --- ---- I know it won't happen NOW --- but maybe, Pettine stays another year in Buffalo (i.e. he doesn't get Clev job) --- the defense is Top 5 and Whaley realizes he's got a great HC -- it's just not Marrone, it's Pettine

Pettine's resume rebuilding the Bills defense with a no-name secondary to begin the year and ending the year leading the league in sacks bodes well for his chances. Cleveland by all accounts has a better linebacker & secondary than the Bills. Given an early draft choice of Clowney and the Browns have all the pieces in place on the defensive side of the ball.

Thanks to Indy they'll also have a top 28 draft choice. In a deep draft at WR, Cleveland could add another WR to go alongside TE Jordan Cameron & WR Josh Gordon. The question mark becomes what veteran QB comes available that can improve their QB position? My early guesses Matt Flynn or Michael Vick.

Edited by BigCountryBills

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/6573/pettines-departure-would-set-back-bills

Nice of Espn to so vividly depict the total disaster it would be if Pettine left.

By the way, for those claiming marrone should be fired and replaced by Pettine, please stop.

Pettine is a good enough coordinator to wait for a really good opportunity. The browns are a mess. He needs to wait for the right job.

The Browns have a good deal of stockpiled talent and most importantly, they have a legit chance to get a big time QB on draft day.

Opportunities don't get much better for a new HC.