LB coach Chuck Driesbach relieved of duties

BRAWNDO

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring in someone who understands how to coach gap control.....also need a stout and disciplined run defender to pair with Kiko on first and second downs to allow Kiko to create even more plays. Someone has to stay home and fill holes while Kiko runs around like his hair is on fire...

Honestly, with all the new faces on the Bills (players and coaches), I didn't even know the name of our linebackers coach. All I can do is hope that it becomes a good move on Marrone's part by letting him go.

I do agree with JoeF. We need the linebackers to control the gap better.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills1m

#Bills relieve ILBs coach Chuck Dreisbach of his duties. 2nd coach moved off Marrone's staff since season's end.

And yet Crossman is retained

Don't lose sleep over it. It's like a man on death row. He can't act shocked if his day of execution comes. We knew Crossman and Hackett were very close friends of Marrone going into the season. Crossman and Hackett are here to stay my friend.

Maybe he is being asked to be on the staff of one of the new hires and asked to be released so he can pursue that....

I also considered that. We'll see if he gets snatched up elsewhere. I think it's unlikely, though.

Yes, but we are getting "selective" accountability...our special teams coach is still employed due to cronyism

I see. So until Crossman's fired, nothing else matters. I wouldn't hold your breath.

He came over from Syracuse with Marrone. Pettine also brough at LB coach with him from the Jets. I'm guessing Pettine's guy is getting the better title.

Driesbach, to my knowledge, never worked for Marrone. in fact, Driesbach had previous ties to Pettine. the two worked together at Pitt in the mid-1990s, and, if i'm not mistaken, were also had ties back in Philly.

jw

Driesbach, to my knowledge, never worked for Marrone. in fact, Driesbach had previous ties to Pettine. the two worked together at Pitt in the mid-1990s, and, if i'm not mistaken, were also had ties back in Philly.

jw

Ah you may be right - he was pulled from the college ranks, I thought Syracuse but may have been mistaken. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah you may be right - he was pulled from the college ranks, I thought Syracuse but may have been mistaken. Thanks for the clarification.

Driesbach was out of football last season after five seasons at Rice. and i do know Driesbach (defensive coordinator), Pettine (graduate assistant) and Doug Whaley (player) were all together at the same time at Pitt from 1993-94. Pettine, in fact, has spoken highly of Driesbach.

so, this move comes as a bit of a surprise.

jw

Driesbach was out of football last season after five seasons at Rice. and i do know Driesbach (defensive coordinator), Pettine (graduate assistant) and Doug Whaley (player) were all together at the same time at Pitt from 1993-94. Pettine, in fact, has spoken highly of Driesbach.

so, this move comes as a bit of a surprise.

jw

I get what you're driving at regarding the positive relationship they all had...but that said, I'm assuming Marrone and Pettine have been watching film from the BILLS' season and they decided that one significant factor in their porous Run D was the issues with LBs being out of position, either not knowing or being disciplined enough to get into their assigned lanes, and overall lack of productivity in stopping the Run. Pass Defense improved a great deal and that's fantastic, another good step in the right direction. I'm sure the LBs did have something to do with that too, but just in the Tampa Bay game alone, especially on that first run, it doesn't take an expert to see where the LBs were missing their assignments. I know it may seem like a small adjustment, but to me this at least helps Marrone's pontificating about accountability...now, if only he could let Crossman see the door, I would be back on the "All In" Train with Marrone...please see previous posts before we discuss how I do or don't like Marrone as a coach. But that said, Marrone painted himself into a corner by continuously banging the accountability drum, so it's time to act on it

I get what you're driving at regarding the positive relationship they all had...but that said, I'm assuming Marrone and Pettine have been watching film from the BILLS' season and they decided that one significant factor in their porous Run D was the issues with LBs being out of position, either not knowing or being disciplined enough to get into their assigned lanes, and overall lack of productivity in stopping the Run. Pass Defense improved a great deal and that's fantastic, another good step in the right direction. I'm sure the LBs did have something to do with that too, but just in the Tampa Bay game alone, especially on that first run, it doesn't take an expert to see where the LBs were missing their assignments. I know it may seem like a small adjustment, but to me this at least helps Marrone's pontificating about accountability...now, if only he could let Crossman see the door, I would be back on the "All In" Train with Marrone...please see previous posts before we discuss how I do or don't like Marrone as a coach. But that said, Marrone painted himself into a corner by continuously banging the accountability drum, so it's time to act on it

What if Marrone does his review on Crossman, no different than he reviews any other coach, and comes to the honest conclusion that Crossman deserves another year? What if he realizes full well that Crossman screwed up, but, that he deserves a second chance?

That's accountability. Marrone himself is being accountable.

Trust me...accountability is not just firing people when everybody knows they screwed up. That's easy, and anyone can do that.

It's also: keeping the people you know are quality, when everybody else wants them fired. That's called: holding yourself accountable, as the boss. That's not easy, and that's why not so many can be the boss.

Another thread where people choose not to separate "accountability" from "you only get one season".

What if Marrone does his review on Crossman, no different than he reviews any other coach, and comes to the honest conclusion that Crossman deserves another year? What if he realizes full well that Crossman screwed up, but, that he deserves a second chance?

Trust me...accountability is not just firing people when everybody knows they screwed up. That's easy, and anyone can do that.

It's also: keeping the people you know are quality, when everybody else wants them fired. That's called: holding yourself accountable, as the boss. That's not easy, and that's why not so many can be the boss.

I should've just waited for you to post this; it's a more thorough answer than I had the patience to write.

Another thread where people choose not to separate "accountability" from "you only get one season".

I should've just waited for you to post this; it's a more thorough answer than I had the patience to write.

Well, since I am "the boss" this didn't require much effort. I just basically typed out what I know/do every day.

well, with a 10 year record in place its not like crossman has no significant track record to draw from. while often id agree with the sentiment -- sometimes its also called being stubborn, or blind to an issue.

Edited by NoSaint

really, that's what you're hanging your hat on, "accountability."

is there a coach out there that doesn't bang the "accountablity" drum? this is not a new concept.

jw

Hey, I didn't come out to the podium game after game and then the Offseason and say it...Marrone did. And yes, if you call "hanging my hat" as holding someone to the integrity of their statements, you can call it that. Had Marrone said, "I believe our STs performed poorly but mostly due to new concepts with young players and that we will get better" which is what most of us assume he is actually thinking, then fine. I may not like keeping Crossman as I believe his poor coaching on STs cost Buffalo a game or two and more importantly does not demosntrate how this team demands improvement, but ok...I'll see Marrone's point and agree to disagree. But in the aspect of doing what you say you're going to do without further clarification, yeah, that's on his shoulders. He is after all the Head Coach.

As for a HC that does not bang the accountability drum, I'm sure they do. And I don't watch many other HC's full pressers, so maybe they talk about it a lot...but what I DO KNOW is when you saunter out to the podium and keep saying the same thing, getting the same results when your words indicate you demand different, and then take no action in an area that SCREAMS for the very change you claim to require....you're going to be viewed as hypocritical.

well, with a 10 year record in place its not like crossman has no significant track record to draw from. while often id agree with the sentiment -- sometimes its also called being stubborn, or blind to an issue.

Of course.

But, you'll notice I specifically said: "...no different than he reviews any other coach, and comes to the honest conclusion..."

Being "stubborn, or blind to an issue", for a manager...is another way of saying: lazy.

Your job as a manager is to eternally be looking for ways to improve the process. If you are resisting change, and haven't done the work to prove why that resistance has merit? "Haven't done the work" is the operative phrase.

Driesbach is taking the fall for all the times Kiko guessed wrong on which gap to attack, leaving no one in the middle of the field to stop gash runs by the other team.

The Bills have one good LB, Kiko, and one OK LB, Lawson. No other real talent. (Hughes is a pass rusher, not a LB.) I'm thinking the Bills take a LB in the 1st round and sign a FA LB. That plus two guards and they'll be in business.

Then Marrone, in order to maintain public inegrity, would need to say something along those lines. It wouldn't have to be a public flogging of Crossman or excoriating his efforts to the media. It could simply be: "We've reviewed all of the film and spoken to our Coordinators and coaches and there are a few key areas that need to improve and I believe with this Off-Season we will. First, on STs we gave up too many return yards, missed too many blocks, didn't stay in our assigned lanes, and it cost us a few games and some key field position. But working with Danny, I know with another year and continued coaching this will turn around. We all know what's at stake." Boom...done....doesn't need to do more than recognize what every other fan in Buffalo sees: a statistically significant regression in the ST's performance and then indicate what will be done to remedy that fact. And in case you're about to argue that he doesn't "owe" us an explanation, again it was Marrone's words that said he knows how important the BILLS are to Western NY and its fans. If so...provide some idea as to how "accountability" is defined and how it relates directly to STs.

Edited by BigBuff423

Of course.

But, you'll notice I specifically said: "...no different than he reviews any other coach, and comes to the honest conclusion..."

Being "stubborn, or blind to an issue", for a manager...is another way of saying: lazy.

Your job as a manager is to eternally be looking for ways to improve the process. If you are resisting change, and haven't done the work to prove why that resistance has merit? "Haven't done the work" is the operative phrase.

i dont know if lazy is the word here. we all have blind spots in our judgement. its part of being human. in this case, he hired a best friend to work for him. theres a good chance that he is misjudging the situation simply by human nature to look favorably on those we like, not lack of effort.

Driesbach is taking the fall for all the times Kiko guessed wrong on which gap to attack, leaving no one in the middle of the field to stop gash runs by the other team.

The Bills have one good LB, Kiko, and one OK LB, Lawson. No other real talent. (Hughes is a pass rusher, not a LB.) I'm thinking the Bills take a LB in the 1st round and sign a FA LB. That plus two one guard and a big WR and they'll be in business.

There you go. I'm with you now.