What is your second favorite NFL team?

Alright, I'm not exactly sure how this topic is going to play out, but I am a die-hard Buffalo Bills fan, and that will never change as long as they stay in Buffalo. However, before next season starts, I will have turned 30. Not old, but being an overweight guy, probably halfway through my life. I've been a Bills fan since Don Beebee stripped Leon Lett in the Superbowl, and have been able to follow them since the 1999 season, ending in the forward lateral game, when I got the internet and found billsdaily.com, which made it easier to follow a team I lived a 4 hour drive from (I live in CNY, can't just turn on 550). So my entire time actively following this team has been through this playoff drought, through the misery and heartbreak, finding a way to lose winnable games... you all know the score.

So I have been thinking lately, over the last year and a half or so, that it might not be a terrible idea to get a second team to follow. I will always follow the Bills #1 and there's no question about that whatsoever. However, I would like to see a team I actually pull for make the Superbowl and maybe even win it before I die, and it might be time to double my odds of seeing that happen. So my question to you guys is, do you guys have a 2nd team, and who is it? Maybe this would help me find a different team to follow every day. I don't want to bandwagon a good team, and have no interest in the teams that are the Bills' rivals or divisonal opponents, so under those 3 stipulations, in my eyes, that disqualifies the following teams:

New England

Miami

New Jersey (B)

Indianapolis

Steelers

Bengals

Ravens

San Diego

Denver

Kansas City

New Jersey (A)

Dallas

New Orleans

Carolina

Green Bay

San Francisco

Seattle

So that leaves 15 teams, by my account, that I see as bad enough to start following and watch them build a winner, but doesn't conflict with established rivalries. There's probably a team or 2 that I forgot that you may personally hate and think requires disqualification, and if so, let me know. If you have your 2nd favorite team and it happens to be one of the ones I have listed as disqualified from consideration, also please chime in and give me a convincing argument why I should re-consider them. Let me know what you guys think, whose going to be my second favorite team??

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't have a second favorite team, but my favorite player is Peyton Manning. I used to root for the Colts because of Peyton, and it's kind of carried over to Luck for me a little bit. I don't really root for Denver, but I like to see Peyton do well and possibly another ring.

My friends always joke that if the bills move or cease to exist that they would go to all ends to get me to be a fan of their team.

With no friend input id probably choose Cleveland because it is the most similar to the bills

W friend input I'd probably go raiders as my college roommate is from there and a diehard

Edited by Bills of Boston

The Buffalo Bills?

I love to watch most NFL games, but I only root for the Bills (and watching Bills games definitely feels like a different experience - I'm more focused, nervous and the time seems to fly by)!

Don't really have any personal favorites, but I do enjoy when some of my friend's teams do well. Being that I have friends from all over the country, its kinda nice haha. Right now, the only team left of my friends is the Packers, so I guess I'll be going for them.

I don't really follow other teams, but if I were to pick a least repulsive team I would lean towards the Chargers.

Simply because they have a history of bringing on the castoffs from the Bills organization and giving them another shot. Those castoffs were more often than not successful at making that team competitive while the Bills gradually sank into obscurity.

The Colts (see above and insert Ted Marchibroda and Bill Polian).

My friends always joke that if the bills move or cease to exist that they would go to all ends to get me to be a fan of their team.

With no friend input id probably choose Cleveland because it is the most similar to the bills

W friend input I'd probably go raiders as my college roommate is from there and a diehard

I think I'm right there with you, the Browns are very similar to the Bills, so I consider them too, but they just seem SO similar to the Bills that I feel like I would just end up rooting for the only 2 teams to not make the Super Bowl before I die haha... whereas Oakland is a different kind of team, different kind of bad, so I could see them being up when Buffalo is down. But the history of misery and never having been to a Super Bowl definitely makes them a strong candidate. It feels like the debate is down to being between Cleveland and Oakland, unless anybody has any convincing argument otherwise.

I was waiting for someone to make this lame statement. Congratulations, you win.

He's right, I hate em all.

Seriously though, the NFL is so ahead of every other sport it's not even funny. Yet, internally and most certainly by myself, I've reasonably concluded I would probably stop following the league with the one exception being my fantasy league that keeps me in touch with my old HS buddies.

If you have a 2nd favorite team, that means you're not a real Bills fan and deserve the death penalty.

Agreed. Seriously, I can't imagine rooting for another team besides the Bills. I love football but these playoffs games are so meaningless for me. There's no emotion. The week 17 game against NE means more to me than the Super Bowl. The Bills are far and away my favorite team. The Sabres are a distant 2nd and then Cuse basketball. But other than that, I just watch sports as a causal fan. But nothing comes close to watching the Bills. It's about more than Bills. It's about Buffalo being able to compete with the biggest cities in America. And as awful as it's been the last 14 years, it's going to be that much better when they finally win. Does anyone really respect Pats fans?

I have a Soft spot for the San Diego.....SuperChargers....

I did my military time out there and Went to a number of games ,while I was living out there.

Plus they have THE baddest throwback unis EVER.

Plus they have the finest Cheerleaders in have seen anywhere.

The question should be: What would be your team if the Bills did get relocated? I have thought about that several times over the last few years, because I have no second team.

My list breakdown:

NEVER due to hatred:

Cowboys

Dolphins

Jets

Patriots

Raiders

Steelers

NEVER due to city/dislike of fans:

49ers

Eagles

Falcons

Giants

Lions

Ravens

Redskins

Texans

Titans

UNLIKELY:

Bengals - Their owner turns me off.

Buccaneers - Florida teams don't interest me.

Cardinals - Arizona is in the middle of nowhere to me, no connection, bad history.

Jaguars - Terrible ownership, weak fan base, Florida team.

Panthers - The fans don't seem to be large in number and it's kinda blah to me.

OK, so that leaves the following list of candidates:

HISTORICALLY STRONG/GREAT FANS:

Bears

Broncos

Colts

Packers

Vikings

GREAT FANS:

Browns

Chargers

Chiefs

Saints

Seahawks

ACCEPTABLE:

Rams

I have decided that is IF the time ever comes to where we are screwed out of the Bills, I'd go with the Bears. I love their fans, their history, and the city.

Until then, screw them and any other team so long as the Bills play in Buffalo. GO BILLS!

Edited by BmoreBills

Bandwagon all the way baby !!! why stick with one team, they wont be good forever so why bother. What if you were say a Browns fan and during the 90 you became a Bills fan because your team moved/ sucked, now you are stuck with endless losing because the Bills were good once.

Last year I was rooting for the 9ers so almost made it but always like the Ravens bc of their smashmouth style, which is how I usually pick my second team, so it was win win.

This year I went with the Broncos bc Peyton is simply amazing to watch and I figured they might win the Bowl, so go Broncos!

Bandwagon all the way baby !!! why stick with one team, they wont be good forever so why bother. What if you were say a Browns fan and during the 90 you became a Bills fan because your team moved/ sucked, now you are stuck with endless losing because the Bills were good once.

Last year I was rooting for the 9ers so almost made it but always like the Ravens bc of their smashmouth style, which is how I usually pick my second team, so it was win win.

This year I went with the Broncos bc Peyton is simply amazing to watch and I figured they might win the Bowl, so go Broncos!

Wow, this post says so much about you. :nana: "That QB played good for a quarter, let's draft and start him!"

Panthers...

Lived in Charlotte for 20 years...But REALLY started following them more when my Nephew became a fan and they drafted Cam... B-)

There are so many bandwagon Panthers fan. My ex lives in Charlotte and she all of a sudden became a Panther fan this year. It makes me glad we broke up. And at least the Bills beat the Panthers this year!

I don't necessarily have a second favorite team, but I do enjoy watching certain players...I think, non-Bills, John Elway and Brett Favre have provided me with some pretty great football memories. I always kind of thought of the Broncos as my second favorite team, always pulled for them when they got clobbered in the Super Bowl...but it is really just Elway I liked. When Josh McDaniel coached the team, I hated them...

I also have an affinity (though won't necessarily call them my second favorite team) for tough luck teams like the Bills, such as Cleveland and Cincinnati. Similar kinds of cities to Buffalo, similar kinds of fans, who, unfortuanately for them, were born in the blood of some terrible franchises. The Bengals were my team going into the playoffs this year...but now, pulling for the Panthers most (I like Cam), but would be fine with any other teams winning the whole thing, unless they reside in Foxboro, or are coached by ultra-douche bag coaches Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll. I sometimes think my dislike of other teams is much stronger than my like for any other teams. Bills all the way....

Browns?! wow you just must like being miserable , just be a Pats fan, you live there, it would be great camaraderie and you are always in the playoffs.

I really don't have a second favorite team or a favorite player.

I have lived in North Carolina for 15 years and I am starting to cheer for Carolina.

When the two teams played each other this year, I never cared for one second about Carolina doing anything.

Therefore:

#1 Buffalo

#31 Carolina

#32 - every other team in the freakin league