Geno Smith MNF - Falcons/Jets

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the Falcons coaches for that loss. 1st and goal with 2 min, run the ball and make the Jets use some time outs before scoring the TD. Then at the end why not ice the kicker? Oh well, Falcons blew it as much as Geno won it (I don't want to give the Jets any credit lol)

Edited by kdiggz

The line between very good and not very good is thin. They won a lot of lucky break games last year and have had a out of unlucky games this year. Truth is they are a 9-10 win type team and a couple lucky bounces or bad drops can sway you widely.

Yup. This happens every year yet people still believe the "good teams win close games" rubbish.

Give credit to Geno. Huge win

Yes he bounced back from a crap game. Much credit to his OC though, shows what a real one can do to help a rookie QB. Situation wasn't too dire- 2minutes with timeouts, only needing a FG. Gave Geno easy throws vs blitzes he expected. Mornhinweg has it all over Hackett. Called a brilliant game. EJ would be much better off with a real OC that's been through the battles. Jets receivers play way more physical than ours.

Yes he bounced back from a crap game. Much credit to his OC though, shows what a real one can do to help a rookie QB. Situation wasn't too dire- 2minutes with timeouts, only needing a FG. Gave Geno easy throws vs blitzes he expected. Mornhinweg has it all over Hackett. Called a brilliant game. EJ would be much better off with a real OC that's been through the battles. Jets receivers play way more physical than ours.

Completely agree man. Good points

Agreed on the OC aspect...I think Marty deserved a game ball vs. the Bills...Geno was reeling from all the turnovers in NE and Mornhinweg called an awesome game...I'm not trying to bash Hackett either...MM just has worlds of experience and success as an OC in the NFL...Hackett is just starting... B-)

Lol at the excuse makers. Geno is the real deal. Could have had him but opted for the third round talent with "character.". Luckily we should finish poorly enough to draft a legit starter like hundley or manziel.

There were PLENTY of folks on this board that wanted Geno...He had a ton of support here...I liked EJ a lot too...Probably a little more than Geno because I like EJ's make-up overall...But I was OK with the Bills taking Geno halfway through his Sr year...And my opinion never changed about him...There were tons of Bills fans who felt the same way... B-)

Lol at the excuse makers. Geno is the real deal. Could have had him but opted for the third round talent with "character.". Luckily we should finish poorly enough to draft a legit starter like hundley or manziel.

Absolutely no way we draft another 1st rd QB after one year of EJ

Lol at the excuse makers. Geno is the real deal.

I would agree that putting everything on the OCs is excuse making. Kid played well and Id feel good about it if I were a Jet fan.

I also remember Chad Henne carving up the Jets on mnf his rookie yr - and that was against an actual good defense.

I'm not sure rewinding that Nassib thread will be as funny as some seem to think 5yrs from now.

Absolutely no way we draft another 1st rd QB after one year of EJ

Are you sure about that? What if he regresses from here?

I don't think he will regress, but he had better get better than he has been playing. If he doesn't improve from here, you have to come up with some different plan going into next year. Otherwise you could expect next year to be a repeat of this one.

Assuming he does play better going forward, then I doubt anyone would expect the Bills to draft another first round QB.

Yep. Put him in the hall right now. Talk about your over reactions. Different team and support staff around him. Didn't remind me of Peyton Manning out there tonight.Good game executed the offense. Didn't carry them on his shoulders and didn't hurt them either.

Where were all the Geno lovers last week when he was butt fumbling in the end zone? He had a good game TONIGHT but every dog has his day. It's a long season, let's see where he is at after week 16

Good point. GS has one more win for his team, and that was a gift personal foul that gave them a FG attempt on the final play when he struggled all day. EJ has done just as well with what he has to work with. Geno has a way better situation than EJ. That team has had success recently. We have 1 playoff win in 18 years.

Geno Smith played a very good game tonight. Hostile environment, national spotlight, and had to drive his team in the fourth quarter with little time on the clock. That's a big time performance for any rook. Falcons were a playoff team last year and didn't lose too many key players. Give the guy credit. He deserves it.

People are also quickly forgetting how well EJ was playing on Thursday night against a much better defense than what Geno faced this week. Rookie QBs are going to have good games and bad games. Most people seem to be coming around to the fact that EJ has the potential to be a very good quarterback, who has some rookie corrections to make. He has been pretty consistent in his play, minus the game against the Jets. He doesn't throw too many interceptions, and has started to become better at making the long, downfield throws than he was in camp.

Geno played well last night, but if our receivers were that open against a defensive secondary, I think EJ would have put up those kinds of numbers. Smith has been VERY inconsistent, and has not been able to string two good games together so far this season. And, I would argue, had EJ been in the game in the second half on Thursday, there's no way we lose that game. Period. Let's see where they are after the end of the season and how they played overall, rather than anointing Geno Smith as the best thing since sliced bread, and deeming EJ to be only average at best.

Mike Smith better get his linkedin page ready

they assembled a really good team, and theyve done well developing players and scheme and.... but he FREQUENTLY makes really bad calls. not just aggressive calls like going for it on 4th, but just ridiculous dumb ones that hold that team back.

Hate to admit it...but he doesn't look bad. He is making plays.

If geno goes on to have a better career we will never hear the end if it since we had our choice of them. Ugghh......

Come on EJ!!!!

Ya but his OC opened it up & let him play that is what our OC isn't doing it's like he's scared to play with the big boys & everything goes through the run game . All the teams know it so they key on the run game shut it down then there we are ...

Open it up let the kid use his arm cause we've all seen that he has one !

they assembled a really good team, and theyve done well developing players and scheme and.... but he FREQUENTLY makes really bad calls. not just aggressive calls like going for it on 4th, but just ridiculous dumb ones that hold that team back.

Indeed in yesterday's game itself, there was the 4th down attempt you mentioned and I also think the clock management at the end was poor. I was hoping they would make all attempts to run a lot of time of the clock or force the Jets to use their timeouts on the last Falcons drive. COnsidering that the Falcons were not playing well on D, they should have left little time for the Jets. I dont have it recorded to see exactly how this could have been done but remember thinking about it on the last Falcons possession.

You know we are going to be continuing this debate on a game by game basis all season. Lets judge them by the body of work at season's end. However I'm starting to wonder about EJ being injured as much as he has, and hope that is just an aberration. I suspect if, injuries aside, they get the work in we'll find that there isn't much difference at the end of the year. If EJ is FAR better than Smith I'll be happy. If Smith is FAR better than EJ, I'll be sad.

Atlanta sucks, period. They choked last year in the playoffs and have buckled under this year to the Dolphins and the mighty Geno. Speaking of which Geno did have a good game but that was more indicative of the swiss cheese secondary of the Falcons and their lack of cojones overall on the D. EJ is better than him. I think the rest of the season will show Geno for what he is... mediocre!

EJ Manuel missed a good chunk of pre-season because of an injury and is now going to miss a good chunk of the regular-season because of an injury.

EJ is injury prone.

Geno is not injury prone.

Geno was injured during the preseason as well...

Also, injury prone?!? Let me know what player wouldn't be hurt by that hit? It was a bad decision, that doesn't make him injury prone.

Is Geno that good or is the Falcons defense horrendous?? My gosh, the CB's and safeties are leaving receivers and the TE wide open.

Disregard this thread. Another one opened at same time.

Atlanta has one of the worst defenses, reason they have 1 win.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

I am a big advocate of 4th down aggression. But it is curious that he chose to kick a FG near the goaline w/ 2min's left in the half in Miami, and went for it last night with no time leftover. The field position advantage you gain after getting stopped is a point in favor of going for it in the former scenario but not the latter (and btw the Dolphins ended up kicking a long FG before the half after a kickoff which negated those 3pts).

To be fair that did not cost them the game last night because they never would've gone for it on 4th down in FG range if they were down 27-24 at the end.

Edited by BuffOrange