Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

How do you figure? They're (2-3). They still have 11 regular season games left to play and Manuel will be back in a few weeks. You want them to kidnap Peyton Manning?? What more can they do, man?

16-3 Baby!!!!! Go Bills!!!!

Dam Senator...I didn't know it felt that good to be an optimism gangster!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if Freeman is good or bad. I haven't really paid enough attention to him. I do know that neither Freeman nor anybody else off the street was going to be much help in the short run. Zero knowledge of the playbook is a problem.

I kept wondering about Lewis. At this point he has to be a better option than someone with no knowledge of the offense or a rookie free agent., at least for the next couple of games.

This is pure conjecture, but if they didn't sign someone, EJ is going to be back sooner rather than later.

Edited by chris heff

That white towel thing....the franchise just threw it in.

Yeah, just like the stupid Browns. They decided they wanted to tank the season and they even got rid of their best player before, ridiculously, elevating an inexperienced third string quarterback to replace their injured starter. Clearly, they had just decided to throw in the towel and wanted to loose, so they had it coming when they played the Bengals with that great defense. We all KNEW they would get crushed and they did.......oh wait....

Sorry if someone else thought to post a similar sentiment...I am at work and can't read through all 10 pages of the thread.

Ok can we just be objective for 5 minutes? This team is a total train wreck. We have maybe a handful of players worth a damn that other teams would actually do something with. We are being led by Ralph Wilsons personally trained clone, Doug Whaley couldn't find or sign anyone better than Lewis to help us?

Marone is way in over his head, being an OC by name is a hell of a lot different than being an NFL HC. Turning around Cuse' got him this job? That should have worried everyone. Some young kid at FSU is tearing things up much better than EJ did so was it the system? So far Honestly EJ really hasn't shown much, he can't read defenses, he waits till a WR is wide open which rarely happens in the NFL, slow to pull the trigger, not accurate on deep balls etc.

If you stop drinking the Homeristic Kool Aid its just same old crap as every year. Unfortunately until Ralph passes and an owner NOT from WNY, NOT associated with the Bills in any way comes in and cleans house from Rus Brandon all the way down to the ticket takers and punt kicks most of this lower talent on this team and rebuilds the entire thing right... its always going to be this way.

OK. See you in April

The inescapable fact is that there is no veteran talent out there that is going to come in and win a bunch of games for us. That's a desperate fantasy. Lewis makes sense to me, he is on the PS for a reason, presumably because the Bills think he is worth hanging on to as opposed to just taking up space. If he was worth having on the PS, he is worth going on the 53 with the Manuel injury. I would prefer giving Tuel a chance to show what he can do with a week of prep getting all the reps and I have to wonder what he is doing on the 53 if the coaches think that Lewis gives us a better chance to win but all that aside, I like this way better than nabbing a proven non-talent who has been sitting on his couch since the end of August.

The inescapable fact is that there is no veteran talent out there that is going to come in and win a bunch of games for us. That's a desperate fantasy. Lewis makes sense to me, he is on the PS for a reason, presumably because the Bills think he is worth hanging on to as opposed to just taking up space. If he was worth having on the PS, he is worth going on the 53 with the Manuel injury. I would prefer giving Tuel a chance to show what he can do with a week of prep getting all the reps and I have to wonder what he is doing on the 53 if the coaches think that Lewis gives us a better chance to win but all that aside, I like this way better than nabbing a proven non-talent who has been sitting on his couch since the end of August.

Its simple and has been explained a few times already (with comments directly from the coach himself). They think highly enough of Tuels potential to be a good QB in the future for this team, and a guy worth developing. With the way he performed in the pre-season, they knew he would not last if they released him to try and sneak him onto the practice squad at the time so he had to stay on the active roster. They like Lewis also and feel he has the better chance at being successful right now, and he was the easier player to sneak onto the PS they decided that they would make Tuel the #2 and Lewis would be the #3 on the PS.

I think the way they looked at it this season was that if EJ goes down in game, Tuel can fill the position and get them through the game. He might not be someone who can step in and win a game for them if they were down, but he can call the plays and run the offence to get them through. If EJ is to be out for more then just that game, they could bring up Lewis or try and find a street FA to fill in. They did say EJs replacement would come from outside the organisation, so it does look like Lewis will get the start this week because he is more familiar with the offence then a Street FA, but once they can get the FA up to speed (by the next game after the Bengals?) Lewis will go back to the PS or they may move Tuel there assuming now that teams probably won't try and poach him for their active roster.

16-3 Baby!!!!! Go Bills!!!!

Dam Senator...I didn't know it felt that good to be an optimism gangster!

If that's how you read what I wrote, your comprehension skills could use some honing.

It's a discouraging outcome, IMO.

I really REALLY hope I am wrong, but I just don't think Thad Lewis is getting it done. You can't consistently start CFL caliber QBs in the NFL.

I don't see how anyone can have an opinion on whether or not Thad is getting it done. He has yet to start a game for us and you can't see how he practices. When he first came in, he barely knew the offense. It least let his start a game and see what he has before you label him a failure.

BigPappy.

Freeman signed for $3 mil

Bills should have offered him $5 mil.

this confirms they are not serious about this season.

Tuel, Thad Lewis and Pat White are a joke.

I don't think Freeman went to Minnesota because of the money. He wants to be THE man and he never would be in Buffalo.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Its simple and has been explained a few times already (with comments directly from the coach himself). They think highly enough of Tuels potential to be a good QB in the future for this team, and a guy worth developing. With the way he performed in the pre-season, they knew he would not last if they released him to try and sneak him onto the practice squad at the time so he had to stay on the active roster. They like Lewis also and feel he has the better chance at being successful right now, and he was the easier player to sneak onto the PS they decided that they would make Tuel the #2 and Lewis would be the #3 on the PS.

I think the way they looked at it this season was that if EJ goes down in game, Tuel can fill the position and get them through the game. He might not be someone who can step in and win a game for them if they were down, but he can call the plays and run the offence to get them through. If EJ is to be out for more then just that game, they could bring up Lewis or try and find a street FA to fill in. They did say EJs replacement would come from outside the organisation, so it does look like Lewis will get the start this week because he is more familiar with the offence then a Street FA, but once they can get the FA up to speed (by the next game after the Bengals?) Lewis will go back to the PS or they may move Tuel there assuming now that teams probably won't try and poach him for their active roster.

cant believe I'm going to say this.... But great post. Couldn't be more right.

Wondering if Tuel showed nothing in the last few days of practice. Imho, doesn't bode well for Tuel

^ This. Tuel wasn't ready for the game as the pressure of the moment was too big for him. I suspect he's been pressing in practice as well and it's just feeding on itself. He's also had a ton of time to look at the tape of the game and the chances he had to make plays.

There were two ways it could go after his debacle of a performance the other night. Sounds like it's all gone the wrong way. He struck me as someone who lets pressure get to him. He was hanging his head and getting pissed at himself out there. Can't have that. If he's pressing too much, we need someone else in the game. Going with Lewis makes the most sense at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

huh? He didn't beat out Lewis. Tuel was here, learning the playbook since he was drafted. Lewis came in a week before the end of training camp. It would make zero sense putting Lewis as our backup QB.

He's been here now over a month. It obviously isn't a perfect plan but IMO, I'd rather start Lewis than Tuel.

I'd rather start Lewis than Tuel, as well. The question is, why wasn't Lewis promoted to the 53 man roster until after EJ was hurt and Tuel exposed as a guy who probably would not start for the University of Buffalo? Once again, the Bills are an absolute disaster at the QB position, all because of front office incompetence. And remember, we still don't know if EJ is going to be "the guy". If he only plays a few more games this year, which seems likely, what do the Bills do in the draft if there is a franchise type QB available, which, again, seems likely? If EJ has not clearly established himself as the QB of the future, I think they have to seriously consider drafting a first round QB again. At a minimum, they will need to take at least one more QB prospect in one of the later rounds.

I'm not arguing with what you are saying; that is probably exactly what the Bills' game plan was. But you know what? If so, it was an incredibly stupid, short-sighted and incompetent game plan. And now the team is in a terrible position as a result. What else is new?