Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was only here for like a week before the season. He didn't know the playbook at all. Tuel, at least, has been here since OTAs.

Here's his start last year: http://www.nfl.com/p...ogs?season=2012

I wanted Freeman but at least it's not Tuel. Anyone hoping that we got a guy off waivers and started him this week is crazy. We still have a bunch of weapons and our D is getting healthy. Not ready to give up on this season at all. The Bengals are very beatable.

Guy is 25 (not a "new" QB); and appears to take a ton of sacks (6 in two games). I didn't watch him play, but the fact that no other team grabbed him off of our practice squad is telling. On a positive note, he seems capable of throwing the ball a lot. Hopefully he can find open WR's, but I'm thinking he'll be reading 1/2 the field like EJ. Seems like another rookie. Sure, Thad has been around, but he's started almost no NFL games. I'd perfer Vince Young (winning record as starter, could read entire feild, etc.) BTW, the Eagles lost their starter, had a good backup ready to go. We have the rookie carosel going at QB. We need an actual vet somewhere.

You didn't even answer the question.

I'll ask again, why would Josh Freeman be worth $5 million?

because josh freeman is/was the only legit QB available.

thad lewis will be a laughing disaster.

Edited by papazoid

I wonder if we stick with the no huddle.

I am guessing that's one of the reasons he was the choice. It would help an inexperienced QB keep a strong defense at least a little off-balance.

wait what? I'm not making any excuses BUT Lewis was with the Bills for LESS than 7 days when he played in that last game!!

technically two i believe...but i do think you are going to get a ton of read option, manage the game, dont lost it as Dalton sucks....get the Bills into the 4th with a chance to win on a single play

Exactly. And what would you call placing that big bet on the most important position in football?

One borne of extreme confidence in Manuel - and in his not getting hurt, too. Which, yes, in the NFL is a pretty bad idea. You could end up needing 3 QBs during the year and in week 5, we're already there.

I doubt they anticipated that this would happen to Kolb in preseason, though.

You'll find no argument from me that there was no reason whatsoever to let go of an asset like TJax until camp cuts. Tuel obviously would have made it to the PS. Here's hoping Lewis is a diamond in the rough, at least as far as NFL backup quality goes.

I'm going to go out an a limb here and say the Bills are extremely desperate at the QB spot if Thad Lewis is starting.

Shirley, you jest.

Ha, I love it. While everyone was talking all that Tebow and Carr nonsense last week, I said how about Thaddeus or Pat White. No one even responded.

I think T. Lewis is a nice option here. He knows the plays, formations, players & coaches. He's started an NFL game in the past and did ok. He has some wheels to get out of trouble too.

He did NOT say that Pat White will not be signed. Marrone said they need to sign a 3rd-QB.

110% agree.. White flew out this morning for workout in Oak tomorrow so no deal was done as reported by Shefty among others already. The options we were looking at Dixon, White, Freeman were all dual threat QB's. Freeman IS NOT the answer and the drama that would come with that would have been disaster. We are basically asking our QB to be more of a game manager and also a dual threat guy. While EJ didnt run too much, I think A LOT of that is because of the knee issue in pre-season. Just by looking at the names we were looking at... It was blatant Marrone wanted someone who has wheels and can take off when play breaks down and also be involved in read option. Thad's a big kid.. has good wheels and its not like accuracy was EJ's best trait... 1 thing that EJ has shown the most promise with, is that he's already looking like he is a leader on and off the field. He handles himself extremely well with media, and has control of the offense. They have had lots of miscues, but i think right before he got hurt, to tart 2nd half, he was REALLY looking like the "guy" and really stepped into his first couple of throws and looked very different from the guy who had terrible footwork in 1st half.

I can easily see Thad coming in and being very much a clone of EJ with more true read option and seeing him keep ball 3-4 times a game which will really be a huge headache for D's if CJ and Freddy are healthy and with the mini bye week, hopefully both will be closer to 100% coming into Cinci game.

In Ravens game before CJ got hurt, they were starting to imcorperate more 2 RB in shotgun with BOTH CJ, and Freddy on field... THIS is look we must use more and more... I think we will be able to open of the playbook with Thad at the helm cuz they have so much invested in EJ, they were coddling him with the play calling and with knee issue from pre-season, they really were not looking to run him much at all. Thad will be running the ball and i watched the Cleveland game last yr, he had good command of huddle and had solid game and he looked better in preseason than any of the others guys in the final games and made a bunch of plays with his legs.

With the D playing very well and with having pretty much our ENTIRE secondary coming back, to go along with both our DT's playing better and better each week. Kyle has been good but Dareus has been a beast. That tackle he made on thrus when he stood up the RB and plowed him backwards and like body slammed him all in 1 motion was thing of BEAUTY even tho there was a flag or something on the play and didnt count! Mario had another phenominal game and is on pace to break our sack record and there was a Jerry Hughes sighting!! By far his best game in Bills uni! and then there;'s Kiko... no comment needed here except BEAST!

Our secondary NOW with Gilmore shadowing teams 1's and Mclovin showing he was WELL worth being resigned and has been our best CB so far this yr as a now, very solid #2 and Roby being excellent in the slot despite his size. He has broken up a bunch of passes and even though he can get pushed around a bit when making tackle, at least he doesnt whiff much and can either bring guy down and hold him to someone can finish him off. He has been gritty and made some nice breakups and think they should keep him in slot as #3 even in Brooks is ready. Have Brooks as our #4 and i'd assume with Thad being elevated, a cut will have to made, and its got to come from secondary between either Adams, Burton or Rogers. As bad as Rogers has been, i still think he;s had some very valuable playing time and rebounded nicely after worst game a CB has seen in long time and thats saying alot! As a #5 corner, who has had a bunch of experience as a starter, i think he brings more to back end of roster than a guy like Burton or Adams who can be dropped and probably retained to put on PS.

Anyways, even though Thad was not name a lot expected, i thought him or White would have been best 2 options regardless or Freeman and fact he;s been with team since end of pre-season even though just on practice squad. He still has a playbook and been with team close to 2 months now and to trust a street FA (anyone outside of Freeman) who hasnt been on a team since pre-season and expect them to come in and start??? would have made no sense unless they picked up a guy who was experienced and also would be good fit in our style of O. Which eliminated all the older re-thread QB's like Carr who would have been crappy anyway.

I think it really was best decision for team, even though i was hoping we would sign White cuz i liked his chances as true read option guy, and having our back field.. Would have fun watching college style offense! But just dont think he could really make it as a starting QB when teams are game planning for him as the starter. Another big issue with him IMO is he;s lefty... Our O-line has regressed last few weeks and we still have a huge hole with Colin Brown. Glenn has been our blind side guy and with White, it would have meant Pears would have taken over as blindside blocker on right side... Not sure how much that could have played in, but i would be concerned with Pears being the guy protecting our QB's blindside.

GO BILLS!!!

No simply the fact that my uninformed mind suggested this would happen. Personally i'd rather see Thad Lewis play than Tuel. At least he has some wheels to get out of trouble, and has played a full NFL game....

Not all black people are fast and running QBs. Thad ran a 4.8 not what I would call wheels. Jeff teul ran a 4.6

All of his Throws against the Lions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWu45CRszM&feature=youtu.be

Hint.... expect a lot of runs and not a lot of accuracy

thank you for this. Actually makes me feel even better about this Sunday.

He's got some wheels to make plays when things break down. Threw fairly well outside the pocket on the run, and has a very quick release.

The misfires won't be nearly as bad as he's going to be throwing to guys like Stevie, Woods, Chandler and not guys like Kaufman, Hogan, Provo. He's also been on the team for more than 4 days an probably has a better feel for the playbook at this point.

Color me very optimistic.

Not all black people are fast and running QBs. Thad ran a 4.8 not what I would call wheels. Jeff teul ran a 4.6

watch the video and tell us honestly that he's not faster on the field than Jeff Tuel.

To all who are ridiculing this move - Ask yourself, who is in the better position to make this call, you or the coach? I am all for exploring what we have in-house. Never underestimate an individual stepping up to the challenge. Tuel getting his chance was the best thing last Thursday. It didn't work out (in the short term), now Marrone knows what he has (as do we).

It sounds like the Kicker situation comes to a head this week.

Roster spot will probably come from DB's. With Byrd, Gilmore AND Brooks all expected back, guys like Burton, Adams, and even Rogers is the most likely cut. Possibly Meeks.. Duke seems to ahead of him on depth chart and Williams seems to be guy at SS once CB's are back. And Byrd back at FS.. how much depth do u need at safety?? Leonhard has earned his spot on the team as has Searcy and they will keep Duke. That's 5 safeties...

We will have some interesting roster moves this week

GO BILLS!

Tuel has sucked since the beginning of training camp. His bashing has been warranted since day one. He's terrible.

Feel better now?

Obviously Tuel Trashing meets deep-seated needs that mere football talk cannot deliver. I'm interested to know, since you're a practitioner, if you consider Tuel Trashing to be therapeutic, or addictive, or both?

Has it got a grip on you, or do you have a grip on it?

Josh Freeman comes from an entirely different system. He has no familiarity with the coaching staff. He's also understandably skittish from his experience in Tampa Bay. No matter how much cap space the Bills might have, losing the starting QB to injury is always a huge problem.

To all who are ridiculing this move - Ask yourself, who is in the better position to make this call, you or the coach? I am all for exploring what we have in-house. Never underestimate an individual stepping up to the challenge. Tuel getting his chance was the best thing last Thursday. It didn't work out (in the short term), now Marrone knows what he has (as do we).

Obviously Two Bills Drive knows more :D

I feel like everyone forgets that we did have a vet on the team - just unfortunate he got injured and had to be IR'd. Also, I love that on one hand people say "EJ has question marks and didn't light it up." but then say "he can't possible be replaced by anyone but a proven vet!"

My prediction - get ready for a whole lot of CJ, FJ and Choice...

Possible they send low round pick to Minnesota for Ponder or Cassel after seeing how it plays out, or if one gets cut...seems odd to have 3 middling QBs on the roster when they could get something for one of them...

technically two i believe...but i do think you are going to get a ton of read option, manage the game, dont lost it as Dalton sucks....get the Bills into the 4th with a chance to win on a single play

People thought the Bills ran it a lot against the Ravens...you ain't seen nothin' yet. There are going to be some sore bodies in the locker room after this game.

Can anyone say "play action?"

Guy is 25 (not a "new" QB); and appears to take a ton of sacks (6 in two games). I didn't watch him play, but the fact that no other team grabbed him off of our practice squad is telling. On a positive note, he seems capable of throwing the ball a lot. Hopefully he can find open WR's, but I'm thinking he'll be reading 1/2 the field like EJ. Seems like another rookie. Sure, Thad has been around, but he's started almost no NFL games. I'd perfer Vince Young (winning record as starter, could read entire feild, etc.) BTW, the Eagles lost their starter, had a good backup ready to go. We have the rookie carosel going at QB. We need an actual vet somewhere.

The Eagles always have to have a good backup, has Vick ever played a whole season? Same with Redskins. While I agree I would prefer a better backup, Bills did sign Kolb as the vet backup and he got hurt. EJ is not the runner Vick or RG3 are so it wasn't a given he would get hurt like it is with those 2.

So because he's, in your opinion, the only legit QB, the Bills should over pay to get him? Thn why not offer $ 10 million and a 6 year contract... Really sweetin the deal...

I'm guessing they didn't have a crystal ball that would tell them that Kevin Kolb would get a concussion.

One can argue that if there was ever a bet that you might win, putting money on Kevin Kolb getting hurt would be a pretty sure winner, though.

Exactly...For that reason alone cutting Jackson before at least the first cutdown was a HUGE mistake...Add that to the fact that Tuel was a UDFA coming off a College career that saw him get hurt a couple times as well and...Well...You know... B-)