Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

Marrone keeps pushing the mantra that they elevate players from practice squad as FIRST option --- not a bad strategy to get players to want to be on your practice squad --- in this case, I'm not so sure he is the best option --- but I get that train of thought

Well, Marrone did definitively say that they would be signing a QB "from outside the organization" before they struck out on Freeman. And they immediately brought in White and Dixon for workouts. So I don't think this is really an example of Marrone pushing that mantra so much as trying to sign an outside guy, missing out on the 1 decent option (Freeman), and deciding that the guy on your practice squad is more palatable than the other scrubs out there...

Thank goodness - Pat White (aka Mr. 0 for 5 career passing) made zero sense over Thaddeus - who actually started and played well in one real NFL game.

...and make no mistake, Pat White is a scrub. The only thing I can really fault the Bills for here is how the new plan is to sign a QB to the practice squad. We've already established that Tuel is not good enough to start or really to be the backup either. (I think he should be cut and signed to the practice squad if he clears waivers.) But whomever they sign to the PS probably won't be much better than Tuel -- anyone with much meaningful experience isn't PS-eligible. So how much benefit do you get from signing that guy? I'd rather them try to swing a cheap trade for a veteran backup (I know, easier said than done) or sign a veteran scrub like Dixon or even White, any of whom would likely be an upgrade over Tuel. Tebow? Ugh. For the first time ever, I wouldn't hate it if my team signed that guy. Shows how desperate I've become.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed....doesn't inspire confidence in the people making the football decisions at One Bills Drive

Made perfect sense. Lewis was in camp only a week, Tuel since the beginning of OTA's. Now Lewis knows the playbook and he is ready to move up. I see no issue here except the ones created by fans who know nothing about how to run a football team. Edited by xsoldier54

What concerns me is that Tuel absolutely blows, but Lewis still was unable to beat him out in training camp. Not very promising.

huh? He didn't beat out Lewis. Tuel was here, learning the playbook since he was drafted. Lewis came in a week before the end of training camp. It would make zero sense putting Lewis as our backup QB.

He's been here now over a month. It obviously isn't a perfect plan but IMO, I'd rather start Lewis than Tuel.

He was only here for like a week before the season. He didn't know the playbook at all. Tuel, at least, has been here since OTAs.

Here's his start last year: http://www.nfl.com/p...ogs?season=2012

I wanted Freeman but at least it's not Tuel. Anyone hoping that we got a guy off waivers and started him this week is crazy. We still have a bunch of weapons and our D is getting healthy. Not ready to give up on this season at all. The Bengals are very beatable.

Yea, tell that to Tom Brady and the Patriots.

3-2 Cincy has a top 10 defense, and grade overall at #8.

Ever recall a QB on the practice squad being called up that week for a game, and then winning that game. I know I don't.

huh? He didn't beat out Lewis. Tuel was here, learning the playbook since he was drafted. Lewis came in a week before the end of training camp. It would make zero sense putting Lewis as our backup QB.

He's been here now over a month. It obviously isn't a perfect plan but IMO, I'd rather start Lewis than Tuel.

All correct except for Tuel being an UDFA.

I'm looking at the schedule and with the awesome news that Thad Lewis is our starter, I don't see a winnable game on there. What's that? The Jags? I'm sure they will be winless still at that point and probably destroy us. It's usually a close game when we play the Jags and I just don't see us winning any more games. Our Defense is decent but our horrid offense is just going to get worse. it sucks to be a Bills fan....still

Ever recall a QB on the practice squad being called up that week for a game, and then winning that game. I know I don't.

Lewis isn't a normal PS guy. He has started a game in the NFL and finished with a 83 QB rating. Not great but at least it won't be his first start.

And you can't just compare games like that. We almost beat the Pats too. The Bengals couldn't score a td against the Browns while we scored 3. The Colts beat the Seahawks, but lost to the Fins who lost to the Ravens, who we beat. Every game in the NFL is different.

Well one of the main things that Thad looked so good at in his preseason appearance was using his legs to survive the pass rush.

I honestly believe the Bills are going to put up some wins while EJ is out.

Primarily because I think this defense - particularly with the return of the injured DB's - is going to become dominant as the weeks go on. For 5 weeks into learning a brand new (and somewhat complex) defensive system, they have been tremendous. Nearly all the lapses we've seen from them would not have happened with Gilmore and Brooks out there.

Tuel sucks really badly.

Lewis knows the offense.

EJ is only out a few weeks.

EJ is our starter.

Freeman wants to be a starter.

Freeman would not have come to Buffalo for $5 million.

Freeman made a great choice. He's on a playoff team and he's likely the best QB there.

The Front Office is not to blame for Freeman not being a Bill today.

The Front Office drafted our franchise QB less than a God forsaken year ago.

Thad Lewis give the Bills the best chance to win on Sunday.

There's more to a QB winning a game. Are you saying Dalton was the main reason Bengals beat Pats*?

I think Freeman looked at Minnesota as a better long term option and a team that actually might resign him --- vs. Buffalo which would have provided him 5 or 6 starts and then a backup role --- can't blame him, although, Freeman won't start immediately (from reports) and if Ponder or Cassel play well, might never --- s for White, if he tried to "negotiate" a ridiculous salary (anything above vet minimum); he's stupid --- he should have signed for minimum and for exposure alone

Tuel sucks really badly.

Lewis knows the offense.

EJ is only out a few weeks.

EJ is our starter.

Freeman wants to be a starter.

Freeman would not have come to Buffalo for $5 million.

Freeman made a great choice. He's on a playoff team and he's likely the best QB there.

The Front Office is not to blame for Freeman not being a Bill today.

The Front Office drafted our franchise QB less than a God forsaken year ago.

Thad Lewis give the Bills the best chance to win on Sunday.

Yep. :thumbsup:

Tampa is a total mess this year.

Freeman for 2012 was ranked 17th in QBR and 19th in Rating. he is/was the only legit option available.

And he took a different offer. Why is that so hard to understand? I wanted Freeman but at what cost? To expect a guy to come in a week to a brand new team and new playbook and start is a little crazy.