Climbing the NFL Power Rankings

Wazzu Bill

There are many websites that publish their power rankings week to week...I prefer the AP Pro32, but none of them are perfect. What power rankings do you all tend to give the most credit?

On to the main point - the Bills! According to the AP Pro32, we went from #30 before the preseason began, to #29 after the preseason, and #28 after our close loss to the Pats.

http://www.pro32.ap.org/poll

It will be exciting to see where we end up after yesterday's win. Granted, the Panthers aren't an outstanding team and we do have a lot of work to do, but I think the Bills have proven we won't roll over every week and be a free win for other teams. We should be the favorite against the Jets, and if we make it to 2-1 we could even have the confidence to give the Ravens a run for their money.

I'm hoping for AT WORST #25 in tomorrow's poll. If we can keep our momentum we should be in the low 20's in no time.

Edited by iEat_Phins

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12k gets you a toaster. Don't hate.

It's one of those that put the Bills emblem on the toast, too. Oddly, the instruction menu calls toast "Whitner"... I guess they are synonymous.

Is there one for 12k posts?

no, that's for 500. 1,000 gets you a mouse pad. 5,000 gets you a tie. If you get 10,000 and haven't been called an Idiot© then you get a free stop on the 2nd level parking deck of Hammers Lot.

It's one of those that put the Bills emblem on the toast, too. Oddly, the instruction menu calls toast "Whitner"... I guess they are synonymous.

That's an older model. The 2013 instruction manual refers to removing "two slices of Rogers" from the slots on the top of the device after toasting is complete.

There are many websites that publish their power rankings week to week...I prefer the AP Pro32, but none of them are perfect. What power rankings do you all tend to give the most credit?

On to the main point - the Bills! According to the AP Pro32, we went from #30 before the preseason began, to #29 after the preseason, and #28 after our close loss to the Pats.

It will be exciting to see where we end up after yesterday's win. Granted, the Panthers aren't an outstanding team and we do have a lot of work to do, but I think the Bills have proven we won't roll over every week and be a free win for other teams. We should be the favorite against the Jets, and if we make it to 2-1 we could even have the confidence to give the Ravens a run for their money.

I'm hoping for AT WORST #25 in tomorrow's poll. If we can keep our momentum we should be in the low 20's in no time.

Who cares. They are trying to get better and build a football team. This is not the year to be following f ing power rankings. This team has been in the crap for 17 years. Let's just enjoy the progress we have seen and hopefully will see in the future. Publicity is nice in the over hyped NFL, but this is not the year to chase it.

The Ross Tucker Podcast has us at #20 today. Obviously this doesn't MEAN anything, but I am interested in seeing how an unbiased media views Buffalo, since we're all so close to the fire as Bills fans and from one play to the next can go from #1 team to #32 in power rankings, in our own minds.

I would be interested in knowing what number we would be if we didn't get that pass interference flag on the INT at the end of the game, and we just end the game 0-2, Manuel throws 2 INT, 1 fumble and 0 TD... probably no higher than 27 on any polls anywhere.

I would be interested in knowing what number we would be if we didn't get that pass interference flag on the INT at the end of the game, and we just end the game 0-2, Manuel throws 2 INT, 1 fumble and 0 TD... probably no higher than 27 on any polls anywhere.

The flaw in your "curiosity" is that we can play that game in every NFL contest, every week. Most games turn on a handful of plays -- reverse one or two of those and you get a different result.

What if Amendola doesn't miraculously hang on to the 3rd down pass a week earlier against the Bills?

You are what your record says you are. There may be hidden explanations and excuses for why things happen the way they do, but at the end of the day the results are all that matters.

The flaw in your "curiosity" is that we can play that game in every NFL contest, every week. Most games turn on a handful of plays -- reverse one or two of those and you get a different result.

What if Amendola doesn't miraculously hang on to the 3rd down pass a week earlier against the Bills?

You are what your record says you are. There may be hidden explanations and excuses for why things happen the way they do, but at the end of the day the results are all that matters.

So true.

Hell, what if a couple questionable calls against the Bills didn't happen the last two weeks? We might be sitting at 2-0, and what happens then?

who cares...

Yep. I've increasingly come to see things that way. Random things happen to every team. At the end of the day, it's who's got more points on the board. The only way to get over the "randomness" part is to be so good that you blow everyone out of the water every week. So maybe the top 5 teams in any "ranking" are elite, a few are truly bad, and the rest are all about the same.

How do you define a "perfect" power ranking?

A perfect power ranking is one that accurately ranks which teams are better than others. Since it's mostly opinion based and basically impossible to predict the outcomes of each franchise for the rest of the season, none of the power ranking polls are perfect

o_O

I like that one!

Except I fail to understand why the seahawks are considered a better team than the broncos. The hawks beat the 49ers in a complete downpour of rain (which they are used to in seattle), and with a home crowd that was the loudest in NFL history (kaeprnick was having to use hand signals just to call out plays). I would find it hard to believe that sophomore Russel Wilson would be able to go against Peyton Manning and walk away with a win...that's just my two cents.

A perfect power ranking is one that accurately ranks which teams are better than others. Since it's mostly opinion based and basically impossible to predict the outcomes of each franchise for the rest of the season, none of the power ranking polls are perfect

o_O

I like that one!

Except I fail to understand why the seahawks are considered a better team than the broncos. The hawks beat the 49ers in a complete downpour of rain (which they are used to in seattle), and with a home crowd that was the loudest in NFL history (kaeprnick was having to use hand signals just to call out plays). I would find it hard to believe that sophomore Russel Wilson would be able to go against Peyton Manning and walk away with a win...that's just my two cents.

I think the Seahawks' Defense would give the Broncos serious problems and we know Peyton's history in big games. He has underachieved.

Really.

I guess a come from behind win against the Panthers is not as impressive as a sluggish win against the Jaguars.

Exactly. The Raiders are an absolutely awful football team. The Jaguars are just slightly worse somehow and were on the road. The Raiders roster is one of the worst I've ever seen, particularly the offensive line.

Exactly. The Raiders are an absolutely awful football team. The Jaguars are just slightly worse somehow and were on the road. The Raiders roster is one of the worst I've ever seen, particularly the offensive line.

I was listening to the game on the radio...both teams played so bad I almost fell asleep at the wheel. I don't know who's compiling that list but no way in hell are the raiders the 21st best team in the NFL

not sure what to think about all this, but interesting, and encouraging, I think? :blush:

It means to the NFL crowd that we have been improving... if you are an optimist

It means to the NFL crowd that other teams have been falling apart more then we are...if you are a pessimist.

All I ask is that we get two positions better each week. Or, in more realistic terms, we get better then one team every week. Because every week a team will drop or fall 4 places, if you balance that out that's one real spot.

If we can go from 28th to 14th by the end of the year I will be pleased. I figure to be the 14th best team we would have to finish 7-9 or 8-8. I'm cool with that.

ESPN only moved us up one to #23, however, NFL.com has us all the way up at #14!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

http://www.nfl.com/n...mb-falcons-drop

NFL.com poll maybe a tad high but they gave us mad props for beating the champs.

It like that in any sport really, you get extra cred for beating the Champs, even tho they are not nearly the same team as last year.