Climbing the NFL Power Rankings

Wazzu Bill

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but if you look at the teams from #11 (Cincinnati) all the way to #22 (Buffalo) — at least on the Yahoo Power Rankings — it's amazing how little difference there actually is among all of those teams. Is there really any major advantage for one of these teams over any other?

Cincinnati

Miami

Houston

Dallas

Atlanta

Tennessee

Baltimore

Carolina

Cleveland

San Diego

New York Jets

Buffalo

Tell me the Bills wouldn't be matched up closely with any of those teams, certainly at home (on the road is a different story). And if we somehow beat Cleveland, that means we would have beaten three teams ranked above us right now, with the following two games against the Bengals at home and Miami on the road.

These next three games are huge.

+1 and Winnable.

Whoever asked what the difference is between teams 11-22. Schedule. That's what it will come down to. Who plays who and when. Are you lucky enough to get NE mid season or out the gate? Do you play the Cowboys early or late? Do you have Denver, Indy and Houston all scheduled within 5 weeks?

True, but if you look at the teams from #11 (Cincinnati) all the way to #22 (Buffalo) — at least on the Yahoo Power Rankings — it's amazing how little difference there actually is among all of those teams. Is there really any major advantage for one of these teams over any other?

Cincinnati

Miami

Houston

Dallas

Atlanta

Tennessee

Baltimore

Carolina

Cleveland

San Diego

New York Jets

Buffalo

Tell me the Bills wouldn't be matched up closely with any of those teams, certainly at home (on the road is a different story). And if we somehow beat Cleveland, that means we would have beaten three teams ranked above us right now, with the following two games against the Bengals at home and Miami on the road.

These next three games are huge.

Agreed about all of those teams except atlanta and houston. I believe they are better than their records suggest because of their schedules. What would have happened if houston actually won in OT vs. the seahawks? Everyone would praise them and expect them to be great for the rest of the season. I'm not saying their as good as the hawks or broncos, but I would put them around 7-9. Same with atlanta.

Agreed about all of those teams except atlanta and houston. I believe they are better than their records suggest because of their schedules. What would have happened if houston actually won in OT vs. the seahawks? Everyone would praise them and expect them to be great for the rest of the season. I'm not saying their as good as the hawks or broncos, but I would put them around 7-9. Same with atlanta.

Curious if you feel any differently about Houston or Atlanta after this past week's games.

how do these silly power ranking threads get revived? what a waste of time

Of course, you can feel free not to open or post in threads that you believe are a waste of time.

As far as I'm concerned, the only rankings that matter are Football Outsiders' and they have us somewhere between 10th and 18th.

http://www.footballo...m/stats/teameff

As far as I'm concerned, the only rankings that matter are the NFL's. This whole "Power Rankings" things is joke played on the simple minded. Don't be simple. I mean really, who cares about arbitrary rankings?

As far as I'm concerned, the only rankings that matter are the NFL's. This whole "Power Rankings" things is joke played on the simple minded. Don't be simple. I mean really, who cares about arbitrary rankings?

Football Outsiders' rankings are the only ones that AREN'T arbitrary. They are based on statistics and plays and strength of schedule and everything that normal power rankings are not.

Seriously, would it kill people to think for a second before hammering out their simple knee-jerk reactions?

Edited by No Cease Fires

Football Outsiders' rankings are the only ones that AREN'T arbitrary. They are based on statistics and plays and strength of schedule and everything that normal power rankings are not.

Seriously, would it kill people to think for a second before hammering out their simple knee-jerk reactions?

I think some discretion is needed in order to rank teams. Several times a year a team will suffer a big injury that wil impact the team going forward. Football outsiders will not account for that.

I think some discretion is needed in order to rank teams. Several times a year a team will suffer a big injury that wil impact the team going forward. Football outsiders will not account for that.

Oh absolutely. FO is in no way perfect. But it's at least more interesting than the gut call most rankings go with.

how do these silly power ranking threads get revived? what a waste of time

You took the time to not only open it but respond to it. As my mamma used to say, "you've got nobody to blame but yourself."

• 2 weeks later...

Bills #13 in the Peter King's The MMQB Fine Fifteen: http://mmqb.si.com/2...-quarterback/6/

say what?

A team with so much ship going on, losing their 1st rd rookie QB, starting a practice squad QB, new everything and in every freaking game.

13. Buffalo (3-4). Kiko Alonzo is becoming a cult hero/tackling machine approaching the midpoint of his rookie year. He has 70 tackles in seven games, and four interceptions. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. New York Jets (4-3). Chris Ivory: 34 rushes for 104 yards. That’s from the Earl Campbell days, carrying the ball that much.

psssst thats a carppy 3 ypc average

----------------

IMHO

Any doorknob that rates Miami higher than Buffalo needs his man card revoked

and

How many games have the NYETS won because of a late end of game penalty in their favor? 2? 3? more?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

say what?

A team with so much ship going on, losing their 1st rd rookie QB, starting a practice squad QB, new everything and in every freaking game.

13. Buffalo (3-4). Kiko Alonzo is becoming a cult hero/tackling machine approaching the midpoint of his rookie year. He has 70 tackles in seven games, and four interceptions. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. New York Jets (4-3). Chris Ivory: 34 rushes for 104 yards. That’s from the Earl Campbell days, carrying the ball that much.

psssst thats a carppy 3 ypc average

----------------

IMHO

Any doorknob that rates Miami higher than Buffalo needs his man card revoked

and

How many games have the NYETS won because of a late end of game penalty in their favor? 2? 3? more?

I absolutely hate the Jets, but they deserve to be ahead of us. I'm shocked at how well they are doing. That said, I love our chances against them with a healthy secondary.