how good is this D with Byrd and Gilmore?

billsfans126

Going to the bills at jets next weekend! Anyone think Byrd or Gilmore or both play next weekend? Seeing the pressure we've been getting, you would think Byrd would want to come back to face geno smith. I know it's been 4 or 5 weeks for Gilmore. This could be a scary defense with them back and will feel much more comfortable about next weeks game

Going to the bills at jets next weekend! Anyone think Byrd or Gilmore or both play next weekend? Seeing the pressure we've been getting, you would think Byrd would want to come back to face geno smith. I know it's been 4 or 5 weeks for Gilmore. This could be a scary defense with them back and will feel much more comfortable about next weeks game

Byrd probably won't play for at least another few weeks, given that he HAS to be 100%. Plantar Fasciitis can be bad, I know, but he's a world class athlete getting world class treatment. WTF. I had/still kind of have PF a little bit. This could/should have been fixed during the offseason. What the hell was he doing? You need rest, stretching, possible massage, anti inflammatory's, maybe some cortisone shots. THey also make socks that stretch the arch all night to help with healing. How is this not fixed? Gilmore is October at the earliest

Yeah, Byrd has quickly gone from our of our favorites to the TBD doghouse, and he fully deserves it. .... No one believes he's hurt so badly he can't play. Only he really knows, but again, no one believes him. When you lose trust, you lose the relationship. For Byrd, he's lost the relationship with the Bills fan, and I suspect with his teammates as well. Sad.

Edited by CSBill

Question: How can he or would he have been able to be traded as he wants, without being able to pass a physical?

And why was he out all off season, only to be diag'ed with Plantar Fasciitis when coming bacl 1 week before season starts?

Hopefully we keep winning making it harder for him to leave.

Byrd isn't free to leave, Bills can franchise him again but its obvious his priority is getting paid not winning

Edited by Max997

In regards to Byrd and his agent Parker, I wonder how it effects their leverage in negotiations not only with the Bills but other teams as well. that the Bills D is going to rank higher this year without him and his replacement has a big play for a TD while costing about 6.5 million less.

i dont get why so many of you are on the hate byrd train. seriously some blame has to be put on this FO for not getting him signed last season. the blind trust to this FO that they have been dedicated to getting it right and that its the players fault is insane. we still dont even know the full story. but im not gonna hate on byrd without thinking about the other parties involved could have some blame.

Byrd isn't faking, but he's not going to play at less than 100% because that could hurt his market value.

Mario, on the other hand, is going to gut it out at 70-80% with the same injury because he already got paid.

Don't you think by not playing that is hurting his market value more. Who is going to pay 9 million to someone who is not going to be on the field. Also Plantar factitious does not usually just go away it recurs often so it will be long term problem more than likely. I think Byrd probably should have taken the Bills long term deal he might not get as good an offer this time around.

Looks like Byrd doesn't want to be here so he'll likely draw this out as long as he can. Gilmore, no way, he's done for 6 game minimum.

Gilmore should be back for Cleveland, but given how Cleveland is playing, I'd rather see him come back 100% for Cincy as we'll need it. Someone posted Byrd will start losing big money if he doesn;t get out there for Baltimore, but I can't remember the comment. If anyone knows what I'm referring to, that would help. If true, watch him be out there magically for Baltimore.

This team will be better once Gilmore returns. Byrd is an All-pro so contract situation be damned, once he gets back we will be even better. Does anybody think Brady throws to the middle of the end zone with Byrd back there??

Once he gets back to game shape Byrd will be an asset at FS. In any system.

With only Gilmore returning, this defense is exponentially better given what that would allow Pettine to do schematically.

With only Byrd returning, it would be marginally better.

With both returning it has the potential to be a Ravens-type defense, if Kiko keeps progressing at his current rate.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't you think by not playing that is hurting his market value more. Who is going to pay 9 million to someone who is not going to be on the field. Also Plantar factitious does not usually just go away it recurs often so it will be long term problem more than likely. I think Byrd probably should have taken the Bills long term deal he might not get as good an offer this time around.

No. His body of work to this point is his resume he "gives" to prospective employers. Everyone in the lead knows what he can do.

I have been extremly impressed with that Roybi guy #37. He covered Edleman/Amendola like a blanket and was pretty good yesterday.

McKelvin is playing lights out. We must have a new DB coach because he learned how to make a play on the ball.

With Gilmore and Byrd our D could be scary good.

Gilmore is going to make a big difference. The Bills have been getting away with Justin Rogers out there, but you can only cover up for a guy like that for so long. Rogers let his man get deep on several occasions, only to get bailed out by poorly thrown balls.

Gilmore - yes, Byrd, just wants nothing to do with the team - would rather have young guys eager to learn and contribute and take our lumps that someone souring the milk with a lot of bad attitude.

If Byrd wants to keep his market value high, he should get back onto the field ASAP and start taking snaps in Pettine's defense.

I agree with that one.... I'm not sure how to assess that for him and have no basis for making any claims about this injury. However the public look of this is that he's dragging his feet (no pun intended) to play. Particularly on an exciting up-and-coming team. Not sure how that would be viewed by the league if you're going to destroy your public image in a city and perhaps with a team over being named their Franchise Player that's not good. As a Free Safety, he's not at a critical position to cash in anyhow.... like a QB, LT or WR might be

The kind of money Byrd will be asking for just isn't going to be there if he sits out this season IMHOP. If you are a team looking at him you have to guess whether this was a ploy (bad attitude) or if the guy is going to be a chronic injury risk. I don't see him getting an optimal result no matter what happens if he doesn't actually come out and play and play well for the Bills.

i dont get why so many of you are on the hate byrd train. seriously some blame has to be put on this FO for not getting him signed last season. the blind trust to this FO that they have been dedicated to getting it right and that its the players fault is insane. we still dont even know the full story. but im not gonna hate on byrd without thinking about the other parties involved could have some blame.

well, there's that opinion and the other that Byrd is milking injuries so that he doesn't have to play and risk serious injury. Or the thought that his PF is worse than expected and he COULD play but why play at a lower level and look like crap when he's essentially in a contract year (again).

Way too many coincidences that he held out and came in only to miss all games so far because of an injury that cannot be detected by doctors.

With only Gilmore returning, this defense is exponentially better given what that would allow Pettine to do schematically.

With only Byrd returning, it would be marginally better.

With both returning it has the potential to be a Ravens-type defense, if Kiko keeps progressing at his current rate.

GO BILLS!!!

very well done my friend. Very well. If only.

Because the perception is that he is being unreasonable in his salary expectations and when they weren't met he comes up with a phantom injury that he "oh by the way" didn't mention. How close this is to what is actually going on behind the scenes we will never know, but I for one am glad the Bills didn't make him the highest paid safety in the league. Somewhere around 3-5 should have been enough. To me the Bills are doing nothing more than acting in their best interests.

One thing I was thinking during the game yesterday...The way Newton was terribly inaccurate at times, you just HAVE to know as a Bills fan Byrd would have had a couple of those passes...He's always had a knack for being in the right place on a miss-thrown football....And there were plenty of those yesterday... B-)

No. His body of work to this point is his resume he "gives" to prospective employers. Everyone in the lead knows what he can do.

Do they know what he can do after such a severe case of a chronic injury? Are they thinking - he's either faking and he'll be OK and do they want somebody like that or are they thinking he's got a major problem that will plague him the rest of his career?