A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

RE: #8 - their whole crew was out of it. There was a really cool segment on Hang up and Listen with the producer of Sunday Night Football, who could be credibly called the best in the biz. They talked about all the research and prep they had done to work within the pace of the no-huddle offenses. Fox clearly hadn't. I kind of liked Ronde Barber, but they were really out of sync all day.

13) Freddy, dropping that ball during the last drive on purpose = clutch. He should be a coach some day.

And I also love Robert Woods, and that Eric Wood was among the first helping EJ and SJ celebrate. Nice to see Stevie being a big part of the win rather than a goat for today, too!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not disagreeing that it was a stupid penalty, but actually the play happened late in the 3rd quarter with the game tied at 14. It was the drive right after our score and 2pt conversion. In other words, prime time when the Bills D has historically laid down and let the other team run right back down the field and score to take the lead right back.

This team needs an identity. It needs some leaders. It needs to show they want to win. It needs players to step up and impose their will on other teams. That's what they did today. And it started in the 3rd quarter, and for me.. that play was part of it. The defense was flying around the field hitting every one on that series.

Agreed, its not the type of play we need to see all the time, but for me, watching this team play soft for so many years... it was nice to see them finally look like they actually wanted to win out there. So, in this instance, I didn't have a problem with it.

I think all of the penalties, but mostly this one is just manifesting from what our coaching staff is bringing, being aggressive, hit hard, and play the game our way. Hits like this will happen. If we are to be pissed at Williams it should be if he drove the guy into the ground; which he didn't do. He didn't let up that much either, but he wasn't sure the guy was going to catch the ball or not....

In response to the AW debate... it was definitely a stupid penalty. Way out of bounds and giving them a first on a third and long. That being said, you have to love everything AW did in the game besides that. Just playing his heart out and laying big hits across the field. He had just had a huge play right before that penalty. Young player that was just so jacked up he got a little carried away. Not that it's an excuse for the penalty, but he's a young player, and can anyone really trash him on that penalty without acknowledging what an outstanding overall game he had?

Hopefully he learns from it but continues to play with that kind of hustle, effort, and swagger week in and week out.

snapback.pngEd_Roch, on 15 September 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

#3 I'll be surprised if we see Woods on ST much longer. As has been mentioned in other threads, give Woods two years at most, he's be a true #1, which is fine as having Stevie as a #2 would be stronger than most teams

At this point, I do not know if I want TJ Graham on ST. Goodwin is hurt. Who do you suggest we use? I can't really find the answer...Choice?

Easley and Hagan did pretty well on ST in preseason.

I will wait to see it on NFL rewind, but I think that INT could have been broken up if he came back. I'm not sure if it was last year's coaching or what, it was commented by Talley that "#13 never comes back for the ball" last year, and the same could be said of Graham. News flash, guys, your job is to get to the ball, whatever it takes.

Woods looks like the real deal as a wideout. We haven't seen a true top quality wideout in B'lo in so long that I'd almost forgot what some of that stuff looks like - coming back for the ball, shoestringing down the sideline etc.

2) Designed quick plays to the slowest player on offense and on third downs, That is a no-no.

EJ takes a little bit to get going - it was frustrating. I did not like the constant dumps to Chandler. We will have to wait to see what his stats are on targets. Anyone have'm?

Chandler left me totally under-impressed today. First, there was that atrocious drop that was almost called an INT. He knew he was gonna get hit if he hauled that in. An NFL TE needs to haul that in anyway. Then, there's the fact that he's a big TE, going down like a house of cards on the first hit on those dump-offs. A dump-off like that to Gronk or Hernandez in 2012 got NE 7 yds if not 10, just on momentum. I thought that was one of the key points about throwing to the TE, guy should be able to drag a few tacklers with him a few yards. He's better than any TE we've had in B'lo in years, but he's not playing like a good TE.

Edited by Hopeful

Can we scrap passes to Chandler in the flats from the playbook?? That is by far the worst way to use him... he should only run down the seams.. slowest player in the league and it's not close...

-The late hit play by Williams was retarded and led to points for Carolina.

-EJ with a great drive to win the game

Is anyone else annoyed with the hurry up? The coaching staff needs to realize that ball possession is so important in this league... they should have handled the end of the half better than they did...

The Aaron Williams penalty was not only stupid but it was a selfish and irresponsible play. The hitting rules have changed in the NFL. DBs have to be aware that when the receiver is out of bounds or the receiver's momentum is carrying him beyond the sideline that you can't hit the vulnerable receiver. As Kelly noted the defensive player has to be aware that it was a third and long situation. What made AW look even more foolish was his dancing and prancing after his stupid hit. Doing something stupid is one thing but celebrating after a damaging play to his team is moronic. Overall, I thought he played well. But this play demonstrated a lack of maturity and discipline on his part.

Although it is very early in the season the staff needs to get TJ Graham off the field. Replace him with Easley. There are some people who believe that Nix did a good job as a GM. I'm not one of them. The pick Nix used to draft TJ Graham is a vivid demonstration of Buddy's drafting futility. There were so many other quality prospects that could have been taken at that draft spot. Moving up to take him was nonsensical.

What Stevie Johnson does as well as any receiver in the league is get open. Defenses know that he is gong to get the brunt of the passes, and he still gets open. I said it last week and I'll repeat it agTain: Woods reminds me of Reggie Wayne. He is not an explosive receiver but he runs superp routes and he catches the ball.

The defensive MVP in this game was obviously Mario. The next best defensive player was McKelvin. Without LM this defense would be very vulnerable.

Those incessant Spiller critics look foolish. He not only makes plays but the defense has to always account for him. If it wasn't for that holding penalty on his 38 yard run his numbers would have been top shelf. The coaches are working the Fred Jackson and Spiller tandem very smartly.

Where I strenuously disagree with NYC Bill is that I don't want EJ to run unless there is no other choice. Manuel had a knee procedure not too long ago. He needs to stay safe and healthy. The worst thing that can happen to this franchise is for EJ to get hurt and lose valuable playing time. This year is not about the record so much as having your prospect qb staying on the field and accelerating his learning process.

Edited by JohnC

The entire production team was atrocious. My favorite moment was when he was lining up for his last field goal, and they flashed a stat that he was 1 for 2, missing from 42 and hitting from 20. Uh, geniuses...he hit a 55-yarder, what game are you watching?

Non-union help. What do you expect?

To echo Coach Tuesday and several others, TJ Graham is just not getting it done and it's hard to understand from the outside why Easley hasn't been given more reps in the offense.

There are all kinds of litmus test moments for football players and TJ Graham seems to consistently fail these tests.

The interception for instance. Yes it was EJ's fault as he stared down the receiver but Graham's complete lack of instinct to compete for the ball was yet another glaring red flag.

Bill, I wrote this up before I read your thread. Swear. I guess great minds think alike. :D

1. The FB sucks. Just sucks. Took a stupid holding penalty on a punt that gave them the ball back. That drive ended in Ginn's TD reception. Then he gets manhandled by a 205 pound safety, causing EJ's fumble. I'd like to send Sam Gash to his house to kick his !@#$ing ass.

2. Freddie is still a stud. Dude never takes a negative play and he's just !@#$ing smart.

3. Marrone and Hackett need to understand this is the NFL. When you have 2 shots from the 2 yard line and Fred Jackson in your backfield, the correct decision is to shove the rock in his gut twice, not run two !@#$ing timing fades into each corner. That's high school ****, unless you have someone like Harold Carmichael. We don't.

4. This team desperately needs a real Tight End. Chandler looks like he's running in pudding and his hands are becoming suspect.

5. Eight quarters, 8 sacks, numerous QB pressures, ZERO holding calls. Yeah, officiating in the NFL is consistent. <_< I especially liked the play when Newton got away from Mario because he was CLEARLY being held. There was another significant hold on Carolina's final scoring drive, on the play where Olsen caught the ball wide open. One of our DLinemen got friggin' mugged.

6. Kiko's gonna be a star in this league. EJ looks like he's going to be something but Robert Woods might be the best football player we drafted this year. He's something.

7. Manny Lawson is a nice player. Good pickup. Nick Robey also impresses me. That little !@#$er is smart.

8. The OLine did a good job today against a really good front 7. That was pretty impressive.

9. TJ Graham was wide ass open about 3 times on the final drive for what would have been big gains. The end result doesn't matter but if we had lost...

10. Great last drive. EJ made one helluva play that about 4 guys in the NFL can make and the rest of the drive looked pretty Brady-like. Given what he went through today, it was an impressive ending.

11. A loss in this game would have been a disaster - we'd have given away two home games, two weeks in a row. Carolina literally did NOTHING to win this game, the BILLS tried to give it to them. At the end of the day, it's a win so all is forgiven, I guess. I know Marrone is happy to get his first win under his belt but he can't be happy with some of the **** that went on.

12. Aaron Williams is going to be a terrific safety if he can keep his head. He was great today against the run but the Ginn TD was pretty much a complete !@#$ up on his part. I know it was frustrating listening to the Carolina receivers woof at you all game but you can't whack guys 3 yards out of bounds and keep a drive alive for your opponent. Fix those things and we've got something here.

13. Dave Wannestadt who? Pettine has big brass ones. I don't think I've ever seen anyone blitz a Hail Mary. When it works you're a genius.

14. The defense is going to wear out by midseason if we don't start holding the ball more than 25 minutes per game. I don't care how good you are, that's a recipe for disaster in this league.

Killer post, AD. It's all true.

I was saying to my brother today, "is it really possible that the Panthers don't hold?"

It wasn't. It really wasn't.

Also, #21 on the Panthers was a freaking **** and should be fined. He went for Robert Woods' head with his helmet two plays in a row. No calls.

Killer post, AD. It's all true.

I was saying to my brother today, "is it really possible that the Panthers don't hold?"

It wasn't. It really wasn't.

Also, #21 on the Panthers was a freaking **** and should be fined. He went for Robert Woods' head with his helmet two plays in a row. No calls.

Quinton Mikell is known for that kind of stuff. He's be famous for being dirty but he's been buried in St Louis.

Not sure if either of these things were mentioned but I didn't see them.

1. Justin Rodgers looked awful. When Gilmore gets back we will be in good shape with him, Leodis and Robey (who has also played well, had a great break on one today).

2. Is it just me or is our punt return game non-existent? They aren't holding blocks and the fair catches are mounting.

As always Bill, great work with the thread. My observations:

4) Justin Rogers does not belong on an NFL roster. Putting aside getting toasted because he was watching Cam like he was in the stands, he also is absolutely horrible in run support. I despise him.

5) Graham is not a football player. He does not fight, as a blocker or a receiver. Easley, by contrast, fights like mad whenever he is on the field and is one of the better blocking WRs in the entire league. I don't know what is going on in practice but eventually they need to make the switch. Just imagine having Woods, Stevie and Easley on the field together. It's baffling to me that it hasn't happened yet.

6) Is Gragg hurt? This team needs a TE playmaker sooooo badly... time to get him on the field.

9) I can't wait for the Jets game. Should be a real war.

Strongly agree.

3] TJ Graham stinks. He's woefully bad. The INT was a terrible pass by EJ but if TJ just came back for the ball it would have been an INC and not an INT.

I'll pile on. What was TJ doing during Stevie's long reception. Watch the highlights: TJ gets in Stevie's way looking for something to do.

7) Time of Possession: Car – 33:41; Buf – 26:19

I think the TOP was even until the end of 3rd quarter. The Bills had the ball only for 3:38 in the 4th quarter and yet the Bills scored a TD and FG whereas the Panthers were relegated to two FGs

Graham is annoying on and off the field. Hopefully he starts to perform, but right now I'd rather have Easley out there.

Aside from the A. Williams late hit (ridiculous gaffe - what was he thinking?), I was most frustrated with the playcalling when we were in the red zone on this drive in the 3rd quarter:

2nd and 2 at CAR 2 (No Huddle, Shotgun) E.Manuel pass incomplete short left to S.Johnson (C.Godfrey). CAR-C.Godfrey was injured during the play. He is Out. Receiver and coverage in rear corner of end zone. C.Godfrey removed from field on cart.

3rd and 2 at CAR 2 (Shotgun) E.Manuel pass incomplete short right to S.Chandler. Overthrown, receiver in rear corner of end zone.

Man I was frustrated.

Edited by NickelCity

Re your comments on the production team: My sense is that several factors led to these problems: 1. Lesser games get fewer cameras which has impacts on things from replay challenges (the Bills may have lucked out in one Panther challenge was rejected when there simply were few cameras looking closely at whether a Bill stepped OB) and 2. younger and unproven crews get the non-marquee games like Bills/Panthers. In general sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. The Bills are gonna suffer from bad camera work until we become a winner and/or we get some marquee players to attract more crews and better coverage. More Monday night football means better camera crews. I also think Fox tends to spend more time.money on gladiator graphics than other networks like ESPN or CBS.

The hyper offensive pace's biggest drawbacks remain:

(1) defensive fatigue. D looked great yesterday but they need a breather sometimes.

(2) The RB does not get the ball in full stride and get time for his blocks to develop in the same way as when his web is behind center.

(3) play fakes nearly nonexistent.

(4) roll outs are harder because again, qb has no momentum when he gets the ball.

(5) making the wrong play call. A 2nd and goal in the 3rd quarter, they ran two horrible plays. I have to think they could do better given 30 seconds to consider each one.

I like the hyper speed thing but going huddle or under center has its advantages.

Edited by John Adams

Mario finally shut up all his critics with franchise record set. He needs that every game. Lots of stupid penalties on big 3rd downs. Consequence on having such a young new team. EJ looked superb and he still isn't rushing like he's 100% since surgery and I'm ok with that after seeing his poise and accuracy in the pocket.

Great post, Bill, but for the second week in a row you failed to recognize McCorner. He was one of the best players out there Sunday.

McKelvin did play well yesterday. In fact, late in the first quarter he defended a pretty deep pass at the last second, and this was a simply great play.

But I must say, he still scares me.

The problem with mcK is inconsistency. He's either good or atrocious. No in between. He scares me as well. Also I was FURIOUS at the plays called from the 3 yd line when we have 2 clutch RBs. 2 fades??? Ram that ball up their throat with a dive. Hell, CJ can jump the pile from there if he had to.

Aside from the A. Williams late hit (ridiculous gaffe - what was he thinking?), I was most frustrated with the playcalling when we were in the red zone on this drive in the 3rd quarter:

Man I was frustrated.

Yep, and the worst part is that they really had three shots at it from the 2 yard line--Marrone should be thinking that they are definitely going for it on 4th down in that situation. That was truly awful. Hopefully, he learned something.

. Also I was FURIOUS at the plays called from the 3 yd line when we have 2 clutch RBs. 2 fades??? Ram that ball up their throat with a dive. Hell, CJ can jump the pile from there if he had to.

Or a QB draw. Edited by mannc

Can we scrap passes to Chandler in the flats from the playbook?? That is by far the worst way to use him... he should only run down the seams.. slowest player in the league and it's not close...

This! Everyone is laying it on Chandler but it's the way he's being used versus how Gailey used him that seems to be the difference.

i am sure this was discussed in other threads...but why no challenge on the kickoff where the guy 'clearly' stepped on the goal line before downing it....shouldn't that have been reviewed as a safety???

Because the ball needs to come out of the endzone, not the player. So it was the right call.

Because the ball needs to come out of the endzone, not the player. So it was the right call.

I find it "odd" that for a TD any portion of the ball has to break the goal line but for a safety the entire ball must cross the line. Not disagreeing, you are 100% correct, just one of those football oddities.

Spot on Bill. I'm giving the Bills consideration for getting the bugs out given the new coaching, new personnel etc. But despite that they have managed to win. I suspect this team will get better and better as they work together. This win was a nailbiter against a poor team, but there were some real flashes of what this team can be with a little more experience playing together. Lots of new talent. I think Williams is finally proving to be the guy we wanted to get. 4.5 sacks is outstanding!

I find it "odd" that for a TD any portion of the ball has to break the goal line but for a safety the entire ball must cross the line. Not disagreeing, you are 100% correct, just one of those football oddities.

It actually makes sense. If any portion of the ball crosses the plane, it is considered to be in the endzone. Consistent both ways.

Not to me it doesn't.

Really? Think about it. It's as if the ball is going into a body of water. It's wet as soon as the point hits the water, but it isn't dry until it's fully out.

Edited by eball

McKelvin did play well yesterday. In fact, late in the first quarter he defended a pretty deep pass at the last second, and this was a simply great play.

But I must say, he still scares me.

If McKelvin scares you then some of his DB mates must have you mortified.

Robey is a good slot DB. He has an excellent feel for the game. If he was three or four inches taller he would be a starting corner.

I have no problem at all with A. Williams hit and penalty. This team has rolled over and been the nice guy for entirely too long. We need some guys with attitude and hard hits like that can define a defense! Yeah, he doesn't need to do that all the time, but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Bills team look that fired up out there. Clean up the crap holding penalties and I can live with a bone crunching hit or two.

It's hard to believe Bruce never had a 5 sack game. But, this was a big time game for Mario. He looked like a beast grinding up Cam and stickin him in the freezer!

EJ was everything we could ever hope for in a rookie in nly his second career start. He's got alot of room for improvement, but guess what... so does EVERY rookie QB. But without a doubt, he looks like a legitimate franchise QB. I think the best thing to have happened to him is hurting his knee in Preseason. They seem reluctant to call alot of designed QB runs and that's a good thing. We don't need a runnign QB, that can throw a little. The league is set up for passers to succeed. He needs to learn to pass first.. and run later.

Kiko is looking like an awesome pick! Lovin this guy.

Can't agree on the Williams penalty. It was third down. It allowed the Panthers to keep possession and it could have cost the Bills the game. Incredibly stupid penalty. If you want to light somebody up, you don't do it on a pass that they obviously have no chance of catching. Williams should know that. Gotta be smarter than that because better teams will make you pay for mistakes like that.

This! Everyone is laying it on Chandler but it's the way he's being used versus how Gailey used him that seems to be the difference.

I agree that it's not his fault he's so slow, lol. They should never throw him the ball in the flat and expect him to gain anything after the catch. He's way too slow. Hit him on those seam routes. He has good enough hands and he can take a hit. But don't ever throw him the ball laterally. It will never end in a good result.

Spot on Bill. I'm giving the Bills consideration for getting the bugs out given the new coaching, new personnel etc. But despite that they have managed to win. I suspect this team will get better and better as they work together. This win was a nailbiter against a poor team, but there were some real flashes of what this team can be with a little more experience playing together. Lots of new talent. I think Williams is finally proving to be the guy we wanted to get. 4.5 sacks is outstanding!

1) Are we sure Carolina is a poor team? They barely lost to Seattle, who might be the best team in the NFL, and shut down Lynch.

2) The biggest thing that impresses me about Manuel is the stuff you can't put stats on. I love before the last drive, he went up to every olinemen and gave them a fist pound. I love that he shook off 2 potential game killing turnovers. It's stuff like that that plays up big in the lockerroom.

3) McKelvin always had this. He just was inconsistent. He didn't back down from Smith and that says a ton.

4) The scary part is this team is trying to give away games with dumb penalties. But IMO, the talent is so much better now that games they would have gotten blowout in, they can stay in them. The Bills outplayed the Panthers and only their stupidness made it a close game.

5) This is crazy but maybe Mario was really hurt. I believe he is averaging like a sack a game since his surgery. It also helps to have a DC who moves him around. And the best way to handle a bad breakup is to improve and he's done that.

I was/(am?) one of McKelvin's biggest detractors coming in to the season.

I'm happy to say that he's playing better at CB than anytime previously in his career.

I don't know if it's him or the scheme, or both, but good job McKelvin and keep it up.

Maybe he's better as a pressing CB instead of a CB who has to play off his man and react?

But either way, he's exceeded my expectations of him through 2 games so far.

1) Are we sure Carolina is a poor team? They barely lost to Seattle, who might be the best team in the NFL, and shut down Lynch.

3) McKelvin always had this. He just was inconsistent. He didn't back down from Smith and that says a ton.

As to your first point there are many Bills fans here who don't have perspective and need to find fault with any performance.

Yes, Carolina hung with Seattle who demolished San Francisco last night.

As one poster here has made the point, the law of transitivity doesn't translate 100% in sports but it isn't meaningless either.

As for your last point, even his harshest critics always said that McKelvin could cover his man well but he could never make the play when the ball was on its way. My point is that he's continued to be a good cover man except in this defense he doesn't have to cover his man for as long.

A result of this might be that he'll be able to look back for the ball occasionally instead of trying to stay with his man for an eternity like he's had to since his NFL career began.

5. I was more upset with the two fades that were called from the Carolina 2 yard line. That is Fred Jackson territory. Was happy to see him get the ball from there on the next possession. Result? TD!

AMEN brother ... my feeling exactly. That was a nice drive, then on 3rd and goal we throw a fade? Out of bounds? Run Fred!!!

8) Hey, I never complain about announcers, nor much else about telecasts. But today, I think that the camera man was on drugs. He was missing key shots. Am I the only one who noticed this?AGREED, I have nocticed that across many games the production (camera Shots) is not good. Is CBS hiring newbies to produce these games? Camera shot often late coming into the play. It's like they are not aware there is a hurry up offense on the field.

As to your first point there are many Bills fans here who don't have perspective and need to find fault with any performance.

As one poster here has made the point, the law of transitivity doesn't translate 100% in sports but it isn't meaningless either.

As for your last point, even his harshest critics always said that McKelvin could cover his man well but he could never make the play when the ball was on its way. My point is that he's continued to be a good cover man except in this defense he doesn't have to cover his man for as long.

A result of this might be that he'll be able to look back for the ball occasionally instead of trying to stay with his man for an eternity like he's had to since his NFL career began.

Carolina strikes me as the type of team that will fire their coach and make the playoffs the next year. Their front 7 is among the best in the NFL. For people to short change what the Bills did against them is foolish.

Also, it's worth noting that Cromartie is a similar player to McKelvin. Ton of physical talent but underachiever. Cromartie became a great corner under Pettine. Right now, McKelvin is underpaid. It's scary to think of this defense with Byrd and Gilmore. If I'm Byrd, I want to get on the field with a team with a pass rush and increase my value.

What gets me is the, if you knock down the thing (what is it called anyway?) on the corner of the endzone, it is a TD. Sometimes the ball doesn't break the plane and it goes down, TD. What the F is that? I get the idea it is better to have something there so you can see if it breaks the plane but guys just hit it and it is a score, more often than not, never overturned on review either.

All good points, Mc Kelvin looks much better since about 2/3rds of last season (when the rest of the D started playing better, even in Wanny's failed POS scheme, too). He tackles well too.

I don't understand why he is back for punts honestly, we'd be screwed if he gets hurt doing that. I vote Easley for that job.