Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

Somebody should inform Parker of this. But given his penchant for not bargaining in good faith to begin with, I'm sure it would be lost on him.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure what you mean in good faith. He set out his demand for the highest safety contract in 2013 free agency. The Goldson deal established the mark for the contracts this year. Knowing Parker's history, he wasn't going to budge. OBD should have known how this was going to play out, so yes it's perplexing that it got so bad, yet again.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think you could get a 1st round pick for what everybody says is a top 5 safety in the league? I would tell Parker get a 1st round pick & the deal is done. In the meantime Byrd better stop faking the injury & get ready to suit up on Sunday.

The problem is the contract situation. You don't get Byrd cleanly, you get Byrd playing under a 1-year contract at $7M, which can't be negotiated until the end of the season, and you can't franchise him again without paying a huge tender. Maybe you want him for your 2013 run and it's worth it, but if you're thinking long term, you can just sign him without giving up a pick in the winter.

Has a franchised player ever been traded after the July deadline?

I’m probably in the minority here but I would only trade him if I got what I thought was fair value. If I didn't get fair value I would keep him and play him.

He will play at a high level or his value would drop like a rock. If he doesn't play with this "injury" then his value drops due to that. If he goes through the motions and doesn't perform at a high level his value drops even more because teams will look at his maturity level as a professional athlete.

The one thing I would not do is keep him and not play him. That solves nothing IMHO.

Edited by bills7834

Do you think he was faking it last year?

i honestly don't even remember last year. The season was a blur because of such high hopes and sucking so much. I was too busy hating Chan and staff for pulling CJ every single time they'd get into the redone to remember anything about Byrd.

Not sure what his injury was last year that sent him to IR. I actually had to look it up to even remember. No biggie though. It's done. This is a different injury. And like I said, he's one of the best safeties in the league. Someone will want him. The only thing that is effected is the compensation we receive for him.

Some people will want to think we hold the cards still. We don't. Byrd does. He's a top safety and will be traded if he wants to be. If not, the Bills are stuck with a $7m payout for nothing in return. I firmly believe Byrd doesn't play as a Buffalo Bill again. And if he does, he won't be setting the world on fire that's for sure.

Absolutely. It worked back then, so why wouldn't it work now? The Bills have frequently tried to solve their "problem" players by dealing them, or at best with short term solutions. Franchising Clements for a season, trading McGahee (post-Buffalo comments), trading Peters, it's their M.O. In the end it leaves them with one fewer proven player.

So what exactly did you want the Bills to do ? Make him the highest paid safety when his performance is not of the Polamalu/Ed Reed quality ?

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/

Good morning. I'd like to give him the double Byrd.

I was just going to post this...i'm late to the party. I've concluded that my initial thought was correct: Byrd is a POS. I wouldn't trade him. Tag him again next year. If he doesn't want to play and keeps having imaginary injuries, good luck getting a substantial contract 2 years removed from NFL action. POS.

I’m probably in the minority here but I would only trade him if I got what I thought was fair value. If I didn't get fair value I would keep him and play him.

He will play at a high level or his value would drop like a rock. If he doesn't play with this "injury" then his value drops due to that. If he goes through the motions and doesn't perform at a high level his value drops even more because teams will look at his maturity level as a professional athlete.

The one thing I would not do is keep him and not play him. That solves nothing IMHO.

his value means nothing to him at this point however. All it does is affect OUR trade value for him. If he wanted to, when talking to other teams he can easily say that he can okay with this injury. Or that its getting better. Or Parker can work his magic and say that Turd is just taking things easy until he gets a long term deal. Big money teams understand this and would commit to a long term deal handshake to be in place at the end of the season.

The problem is the contract situation. You don't get Byrd cleanly, you get Byrd playing under a 1-year contract at $7M, which can't be negotiated until the end of the season, and you can't franchise him again without paying a huge tender. Maybe you want him for your 2013 run and it's worth it, but if you're thinking long term, you can just sign him without giving up a pick in the winter.

Has a franchised player ever been traded after the July deadline?

Good question. I suspect that the team cannot trade its franchise player designation right along with the player.

Edit: Research says Byrd is stuck for 2013. He cannot sign a long-term contract with any NFL team.

i honestly don't even remember last year. The season was a blur because of such high hopes and sucking so much. I was too busy hating Chan and staff for pulling CJ every single time they'd get into the redone to remember anything about Byrd.

Not sure what his injury was last year that sent him to IR. I actually had to look it up to even remember. No biggie though. It's done. This is a different injury. And like I said, he's one of the best safeties in the league. Someone will want him. The only thing that is effected is the compensation we receive for him.

Some people will want to think we hold the cards still. We don't. Byrd does. He's a top safety and will be traded if he wants to be. If not, the Bills are stuck with a $7m payout for nothing in return. I firmly believe Byrd doesn't play as a Buffalo Bill again. And if he does, he won't be setting the world on fire that's for sure.

It's been reported several times this week that he was receiving shots to deal with his PF last year. That's why I'm curious to see what folks who are calling it fake think - that it was a 2 year fake, or knowing it was an issue last year he could milk it this year or.... I don't know.

So how is the trade market for 7 million dollar players with chronic injuries?

Chronic Injuries? He's missed four games in four years--that doesn't sound like chronic by my definition.

I agree with the idea that a first and a third would be a fair return...and something a rebuilding team like this one could really use. They're not winning this year and Bryd will be another year older next year. Make the trade and build around the core of younger guys.

There's way too much emotion being tossed around on this, IMO.

It's been reported several times this week that he was receiving shots to deal with his PF last year. That's why I'm curious to see what folks who are calling it fake think - that it was a 2 year fake, or knowing it was an issue last year he could milk it this year or.... I don't know.

What I don't understand is how he expected to become the highest paid safety in the league while he knew that he had this condition. Wouldn't this show up in physicals? It almost seems like the franchise was the best thing for him at the time.

what was his injury last year? The one he was out in season ending IR for? It wasn't the same thing was it? Because if he played with PF all last year and took shots for it all last year and still made the pro bowl, then why is he complaining about it so much this year? Hmmm, no incentive.

My main problem is that it's all too convenient. Funny how last year when he was potentially playing for a big contract he was still able to play despite his PF....but this year, when he's already tagged, the POS has barely put on his pads and helmet, yet he can't play now b/c of the PF. Does he have PF? Probably. How bad is it, that's the question.

what was his injury last year? The one he was out in season ending IR for? It wasn't the same thing was it? Because if he played with PF all last year and took shots for it all last year and still made the pro bowl, then why is he complaining about it so much this year? Hmmm, no incentive.

EXACTLY.

What I don't understand is how he expected to become the highest paid safety in the league while he knew that he had this condition. Wouldn't this show up in physicals? It almost seems like the franchise was the best thing for him at the time.

Because people often cash in still? You see Percy harvins deal? He comes with more injury concern and more off field issues.

Yea, id be less likely to gut out an injury that could get worse in his spot. He also hasn't NOT played like a probowler this year, and hasn't say out extended periods. Last up, who knows maybe its glaring up a bit worse right now. It's not a simple linear progression getting better.

If much rather this be done but it is what it is - and we as fans still don't know what it amounts to.

Edited by NoSaint

I've been extremely critical of Bills FO, especially in light of them having over $24M in cap space and not resigning Byrd and Levitre. However, what Byrd is trying to pull, and, please make no mistake about it, he is exaggerating this injury to make a point, any of you who feel otherwise are just being naïve. The fact that he's "rested" the injury for 8 months, means it more than likely is significantly better or healed --- if not, he is telegraphing to the other 31 NFL teams (those he is looking for a long term contract) that he has a chronic condition. Let's face it, those 31 teams know what he is doing and so do the Bills. Having said that, I'm siding with the Bills on this one, Byrd is part of the union that agreed to the franchise tag rules, he should come in and give 100% and shut his mouth. If he wants to pout, do it in private, if he wants to cry, lock himself in the bathroom by himself and cry, but when he is with his teammates, be a teammate, when he is on the field (for practice or games), give it 100%. If not, he'll hurt the Bills, but he'll hurt himself a lot more. The 31 other NFL teams will be leery at giving him $9M/year --- let's face it, they were leery before all of this

Because people often cash in still? You see Percy harvins deal? He comes with more injury concern and more off field issues.

Yea, id be less likely to gut out an injury that could get worse in his spot. He also hasn't NOT played like a probowler this year, and hasn't say out extended periods. Last up, who knows maybe its glaring up a bit worse right now. It's not a simple linear progression getting better.

If much rather this be done but it is what it is - and we as fans still don't know what it amounts to.

well NoSaint, the season is upon us and we will find out soon enough. But all I can say is this:

All offseason, Byrd has been a problem for this team. Regardless of how good he is, or how much love he gets from team mates or fans, he's shown his true colors with this situation. He's even showing to his team mates (speculation) that his deal is more important than the team at this point. Many of the players probably understand his point but I'm sure many of them also don't care and just want him to play football. Right now it's looking like he will not play football because of his "injury" and now rumors that he still wants to be traded by the deadline. This is sure to Piss off some of his fellow team mates.

This whole off season has been VERY UGLY. If it looks like a Tyrd, smells like a Tyrd, it's probably a Tyrd.

Parker wants Byrd to be paid like the best safety in the league. I'd imagine the best safety in the league is worth a mid-first round pick. Otherwise make Byrd play out his franchise deal.

I don't see how Parker and Byrd think they're going to get a trade when Byrd has a lingering injury which is going to plague him all year. Who is going to trade for a player that they're not sure is going to suit up. Get on the field and play well and there might be trade options. Sit on the sidelines and complain and there will be none.

There's a bigger issue than that when it comes to his current trade value. He cannot sign a long-term deal with whatever team trades for him, nor can he make any binding promise to do so after the season. So any draft pick you part with, you are essentially rolling the dice that he will sign long-term after the season is over.

Even if Eugene is willing to make a gentlemen's agreement that Byrd will sign a long-term deal, would you trust him? I sure wouldn't!. This greatly affects his current trade value. It's not like the NHL, where there is a market for rental players to make a push for the cup.

If I were an NFL GM, I wouldn't give up anything more than a 5th round pick for the guy, given that I have no idea whether I will still have his services after the season is over.

The Bills need to keep him, play him, and tag him again next year. THEN, they can start looking for trade value, because at least a team trading for him can work out a long-term deal before spending the pick.

Edited by BuffaloBob

More then likely this is all Parker and Parker is desperately trying to save face with his client, to whom he over sold his worth and cost him plenty of solid guaranteed money.

Maybe Byrd will actually grow MORE tired of Parker's BS the more he gets to stew on the reality that he gave up great money because he was told he deserved the highest paid S money and should not cave.

No team is going to pony up a 1st rd pick + for a gimpy S who's agent is Parker.

The Bills placed a non-exclusive Tag on Byrd and if there was a deal to be made it would have already taken place. Parker can fan the flames as much as he wants to no avail unless OBD decides to facilitate a trade with a potential dance partner. Don't see it happening this season with the PF being a concern.

his value means nothing to him at this point however. All it does is affect OUR trade value for him. If he wanted to, when talking to other teams he can easily say that he can okay with this injury. Or that its getting better. Or Parker can work his magic and say that Turd is just taking things easy until he gets a long term deal. Big money teams understand this and would commit to a long term deal handshake to be in place at the end of the season.

A handshake deal just ain't gonna cut it! Would you trust Parker to live up to it?? What if some other team comes along with an EVEN BETTER DEAL? And gee, it's the team Jairus has always wanted to play for. You gonna tell me ole Eugene is not gonna try to squeeze out some more money when he hasn't contractually bound his client.

Moreover, what if Byrd gets hurt, and suddenly his value plummets? You think the team is going to sign him to some huge deal just because they agreed with a wink and a nod that they were going to do a long-term deal after the season is over?

I rather doubt either side would make such a gentlemen's commitment, given how circumstances can change. You are really rolling the dice if you trade for him and value him as anything more than a rental player for the season, with hopefully an inside track to sign him long-term after the season.

Maybe you could find a team willing to trade a 5th that would become a third if he signs long-term, but as an NFL GM, how much compensation do you commit under those circumstances?

Edited by BuffaloBob

My personal "best case scenario":

- Byrd continues to fake/refuse to play through his little injury.

- Gets a sliver in his ass while riding the bench.

- Sliver gets infected and requires amputation of his legs.

- Byrd runs over Parker with his hoverround ending his reign of terror.

- Bills win the superbowl on a last second interception and TD return by whoever happens to be playing FS at that time.

Byrd is overrated...bottom line. Yea the guy has made a few plays...but most were on poorly thrown balls.

If he don't want to be here get the cancer out!

so most of his high end play the last four years amounts to a couple of poorly thrown balls?

The Bills placed a non-exclusive Tag on Byrd and if there was a deal to be made it would have already taken place. Parker can fan the flames as much as he wants to no avail unless OBD decides to facilitate a trade with a potential dance partner. Don't see it happening this season with the PF being a concern.

Totally agree. I think the Bills would have traded him for a first prior to the long-term deal deadline in July if they could have. I just don't think anyone was willing to do it. Who is going now pony up worthy player or draft pick compensation given his "condition" as well as the fact you can't be guaranteed he will re-sign anyway.

The Bills need to rely on the fact that he ultimately knows he needs to perform this year, and so he better just get his sorry butt onto the field. I have no sympathy for this guy. He could have signed his long-term deal, but it wasn't good enough for him and Eugene. So now deal with it!

More then likely this is all Parker and Parker is desperately trying to save face with his client, to whom he over sold his worth and cost him plenty of solid guaranteed money.

Maybe Byrd will actually grow MORE tired of Parker's BS the more he gets to stew on the reality that he gave up great money because he was told he deserved the highest paid S money and should not cave.

No team is going to pony up a 1st rd pick + for a gimpy S who's agent is Parker.

I completely agree. The Bills had the short-term leverage advantage and the ONLY plays Eugene had were to 1) negotiate the best long-term deal possible, or 2) to demand money the Bills weren't willing to pay and did not have to, and to sit Byrd out of all off-season activities, including camp, to punish the Bills for using that leverage to their advantage.

He chose option #2. Then I'm sure came the demand to agree not to tag Byrd again next year, in exchange for his cooperation this season. The Bills did not have to do that either, and they didn't.

Now his client is in a tough position because he doesn't have the long-term security he wanted and if he continues to pout and malinger, he's not doing his long-term value any favors.

Parker over-played his hand and assumed the Bills would cave because they did it before with Peters. I think the Bills need to stand pat, tag him again next year and then try to get what they can for him.

I'm not sure what you mean in good faith. He set out his demand for the highest safety contract in 2013 free agency

Show me one quote where Parker, Byrd, or the Bills have stated this...or stated any demands . I have not seen a one, not saying I did not miss it, but my gut says this is urban myth at this point. Byrd may be asking for less money, but shorter term to get a 3 rd big contract. He could be asking for a structure that the Bills don't like.

My point is we HAVE NO IDEA where the sides are apart....neither one has said anything

Edited by plenzmd1

You make some good points but I have to disagree with #2. There is no way that the Bills are leaking this 4 days before the opener especially since they hold all the cards. If this was in April I might have agreed.

This^ knowing he wants a trade gives Buffalo no leverage in making an actual deal since teams would know they just want to dump him...

No team will give higher than a 2nd for him.. and at this point with his injury that seems unlikely now.

I completely agree. The Bills had the short-term leverage advantage and the ONLY plays Eugene had were to 1) negotiate the best long-term deal possible, or 2) to demand money the Bills weren't willing to pay and did not have to, and to sit Byrd out of all off-season activities, including camp, to punish the Bills for using that leverage to their advantage.

He chose option #2. Then I'm sure came the demand to agree not to tag Byrd again next year, in exchange for his cooperation this season. The Bills did not have to do that either, and they didn't.

Now his client is in a tough position because he doesn't have the long-term security he wanted and if he continues to pout and malinger, he's not doing his long-term value any favors.

Parker over-played his hand and assumed the Bills would cave because they did it before with Peters. I think the Bills need to stand pat, tag him again next year and then try to get what they can for him.

See Below:

Show me one quote where Parker, Byrd, or the Bills have stated this...or stated any demands . I have not seen a one, not saying I did not miss it, but my gut says this is urban myth at this point. Byrd may be asking for less money, but shorter term to get a 3 rd big contract. He could be asking for a structure that the Bills don't like.

My point is we HAVE NO IDEA where the sides are apart....neither one has said anything

RE: above--the article says the sources are other league personnel and an agent not named Parker. So...

The Bills said weeks ago they had explored trade possibilities. One would assume Parker did as well. Both parties have a pretty good idea of what he'll fetch in a trade already. And it ain't good or it would already have been done.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9, I think you are spot on. He doesn't have the value that he or the Bills thought. Now you are stuck with another disgruntled player who must not be allowed to infect the team. The Bills are on the hook to pay him but we don't have to play him. A year out of the league won't help his value. Best case scenario for us is a contender loses their safety and comes a calling.

Parker also had a third option all along: speak to every team in the league to discuss trade possibilities for Byrd. He's had that option ever since Byrd became his client. What Parker won't tell you is that NO team was willing to trade for him at the time. Parker has to drive his price down as a result. And he's doing a good job of it.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

What leverage does he possibly have at this point?

parker fanning the flames, trying to get the Fans and the front office to turn on Tyrd , to force a trade.

the value for a franchise tagged player is two 1st rounders. the chances of a first round draft choice making the pro bowl twice is 17%.

do NOT give in to parkers tricks.