WGR: "There's still ... an above average defensive line."

Ennjay

I'm starting to wonder about this. Williams, Williams and Dareus all, alone, seem pretty damned good. But yet, together, last year, they got gashed... and so far this preseason hasn't looked great either (most of our pressure and plays have come from our new LBs if anything).

I really hope they live up to their "on paper" value, soon.

2 studs and a 3rd year guy who has been inconsistent but has a very high ceiling. That's not a bad start. And if Carrington can be that other DE, this line should be solid.

But we still seem to have major issues in the back 7.

GO BILLS!!!

Dareus and Mario when lined up together have looked pretty dominant out there. I understand that you have to shift things around, but those two should stay together on the right side of that line. For the most part anyways. Also I noticed, Pettine is subbing a ton of players in and out between plays, seems like more than normal. It could be pretty hard for us as fans, to see what the real talent is because of it. We may not see our top D out there for more than 1 or 2 plays in a row

ON paper the bills D-Line should stack up with the top dlines in the league, But Kyle Williams is past his prime, Dareus has never had a good defensive coach period, Mario wonders why he ever even came to buffalo. I think the dline will do good this year if we are winning, if we are losing look for mario to be detached, dareus to not be 100% commited to football and kyle williams will end up on IR.

I think this year we see a huge increase in the number of sacks. Pettine is finally going to utilize the talent we have effectively. I can see Mario getting 15+ sacks if healthy the entire season.

Mario Williams Sack Production To Date

2006 - 4.5

2007 - 14.0

2008 - 12.0

2009 - 9.0

2010 - 8.5

2011 - 5.0

2012 - 10.5

2013 - 15+!!! :w00t:

2 studs and a 3rd year guy who has been inconsistent but has a very high ceiling. That's not a bad start. And if Carrington can be that other DE, this line should be solid.

But we still seem to have major issues in the back 7.

GO BILLS!!!

I would say results against the run in prior regimes throws assessment into question. It's a new day with a new scheme so we will have to wait to see the results.

I think Pettine's D might focus more on pressure than sacks. Seems to be some depth and some potential but I dont see anyone getting 15 sacks.

This right here. In fact, I think pressures are what made the D look so good in the first two preseason games.

...if we are losing look for mario to be detached.

Excellent observation!

Mario Williams mailed it in last year because he knew that Fitz and the offense weren't going to win many games.

If Williams is noticeably mailing it in this year we can all figure out that EJ and the offense aren't going to win any games.

Watch Mario!!

It's all about the QB still. A great QB makes everyone else better.

The Ravens of 2000 defense allowed the fewest points in NFL history. They didn't exactly have world beaters at QB. Tony Banks and Trent Difler combined to go five straight games without an offensive touchdown.

A good QB will result in a lot more wins than a bad QB would have. But changing from a bad QB to a good QB isn't going to magically fix any aspect of the defense.

Excellent observation!

Mario Williams mailed it in last year because he knew that Fitz and the offense weren't going to win many games.

If Williams is noticeably mailing it in this year we can all figure out that EJ and the offense aren't going to win any games.

Watch Mario!!

Someone else said this in another thread and they where corrected by th efact that Mario's production increased the last 7 games.

Does the D feed of the O and vice versa? Yes. But guys are professionals. they know you are always playing for your next check.

The Ravens of 2000 defense allowed the fewest points in NFL history. They didn't exactly have world beaters at QB. Tony Banks and Trent Difler combined to go five straight games without an offensive touchdown.

A good QB will result in a lot more wins than a bad QB would have. But changing from a bad QB to a good QB isn't going to magically fix any aspect of the defense.

That Ravens defense was one of the best defenses this league will ever see. They are the rare exception and not the rule.

Since the preseason loss to Washington, it seems as if there is less meaningful discussion on this board...and much more of threads quickly turning into post after post of some variant of the theme, "This team sucks." I don't really care what happened last year or the years before that - and I certainly don't care about a meaningless preseason game. There is above average talent on the defensive line, as well as other areas of this team. I like the direction this team is going and I'm willing to wait until they have played a few regular season games under this coaching staff before I make any determinations of how good they may or may not be.

That Ravens defense was one of the best defenses this league will ever see. They are the rare exception and not the rule.

I'm sure you remember the most recent Patriots Super Bowl appearance. During the regular season, Tom Brady and the Patriots' offense were on fire. The offense carried the team. Carried it, despite the fact that the defense set some kind of record for most points allowed. Having Tom Brady at quarterback didn't turn bad Patriots defenders into good players.

Improving your team's QB will help your offense, but won't do much for your defense. If you want to help your defense, get better defensive players.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Mario Williams Sack Production To Date

2006 - 4.5

2007 - 14.0

2008 - 12.0

2009 - 9.0

2010 - 8.5

2011 - 5.0

2012 - 10.5

2013 - 15+!!! :w00t:

Yes a guy that's gotten 14, 12, 10.5 and 9 along with 8.5 in 13 and 5 in 5 games would be unheard of to get 15.... He's averaged over .7 per game since his rookie year

I'm sure you remember the most recent Patriots Super Bowl appearance. During the regular season, Tom Brady and the Patriots' offense were on fire. The offense carried the team. Carried it, despite the fact that the defense set some kind of record for most points allowed. Having Tom Brady at quarterback didn't turn bad Patriots defenders into good players.

Improving your team's QB will help your offense, but won't do much for your defense. If you want to help your defense, get better defensive players.

And I'm sure you remember that the Ravens defense was one of the best of all time, that the rules have been changed significantly in favor of the offense even since 2001, that Trent Dilfer was a complete aberration as a below average QB winning a SB, and that you have a better shot at at least reaching a superbowl with an outstanding quarterback (1 player) than with an outstanding defense (11 players).

And I'm sure you remember that the Ravens defense was one of the best of all time, that the rules have been changed significantly in favor of the offense even since 2001, that Trent Dilfer was a complete aberration as a below average QB winning a SB, and that you have a better shot at at least reaching a superbowl with an outstanding quarterback (1 player) than with an outstanding defense (11 players).

Of the last 10 Super Bowl winners, nine have had franchise-level QBs. Not only that, but teams which win multiple Super Bowls almost invariably have franchise QBs. The Steelers of the '70s. The 49ers of the '80s. The Broncos of the '90s. The Patriots of the 2000s. the Giants with Eli Manning. There are those who feel that the Bills don't need multiple Super Bowl wins--one Lombardi Trophy would be enough. But if you design a strategy capable of achieving multiple Super Bowl wins--via obtaining a franchise QB--then even if something goes wrong, you can still maybe achieve at least one win. Without a franchise QB, there is no margin of error.

But Bangarang was making a different point than any of that. He was arguing that if your defense looks lousy, getting a better QB will make it look significantly better. Under some circumstances that might be true. If your defense is a brick wall for the first three quarters, and then becomes a sieve in the fourth; and if your offense has a ton of three-and-outs over the course of the game, then yeah. Obtaining a better QB could fix a situation like that. But if your defense looks bad from the very first snap, then your defensive problems do not stem from bad quarterback play. They will not be solved by improving QB play. At most, a good QB might allow you to mask problems on defense, for example by scoring 50 points to the other team's 40. That was the point I was making with my earlier posts.