Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

Who says theres ill will? Do you have electricity, a radio, a tv, internet? Really? I am sure the Bills do want him ready quickly, but he is gonna take his time. I don't believe I said he wanted to screw the team "no matter what." Those are you words, or someone else's besides mine.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-buffalo-bills

Semantics I suppose, as you said Byrd would screw the Bills "anyway he can"...

Gonna just get uglier from here. The bridges are burned and they will either have to let him walk next year or tag him again and go through this again. Word is there is alot of ill will between the sides, probably mostly from Byrd's side, but those situations usually never get resolved. They say he is going to make sure he takes him time getting ready for the field, so he is going to try to screw the team anyway he can. He is a good player, but they would be better off without him if he turns into a cancer.

As far as the other questions, like I said, I don't disagree that the BIlls are wanting to get him ready quickly, it is Byrd himself that is going to take his time. As far as the others, without spending the afternoon researching, I am not sure Vick ever played under the tag, he played under a one year deal he signed, which is way different. Also, now that Welker left New England, he hasn't had many kind words to say about Belicheat either.

I don't see how it benefits him to take his time; what good can come of it?

The point isn't whether Welker or the others were happy about the tag, but rather that they signed long-term deals after being tagged. There's no reason Byrd can't enjoy a solid season in Buffalo and then re-sign if he likes his situation. A lot can happen in a year.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you know Byrd better then the reporters and insiders do that hang around the team? I hope there are no problems, but Byrd has it in his mind he wants to be the highest paid safety, and the Bills don't think he should be. Only time will tell, but don't be surprised.

I don't believe it is the fans that are putting this out because they are angry, it is media and insiders. There are several people reporting this, even from sites like NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-buffalo-bills

I don't know Byrd at all. But I don't put any stock in unsubstantiated tweets by the likes of Graham or Ed Werder, either. If there is a credible news source that is reporting this and supporting it with quotes from both sides then I'll choose to believe it's true. That's not a slam on you at all. Just that some in the media purposely like to fan the flames.

GO BILLS!!!

On NFL Insiders just now Mort said that the Bills have called around to other teams in the league, but their stance on Byrd was the same as the bills. Saying that they like byrd but are not going to overpay for him or to get him. Schefter then said to keep and eye on this situation because something tells him its just the beginning..... Not sounding good at all. Some other guy on the panel said that the Bills would like to keep byrd but keep in mind that they drafted jonahton meeks and duke williams, also they moved Aaron Williams to safety. So the Bills are not in a desperate situation at that postion.

Edited by n3wyork13

I don't believe it is the fans that are putting this out because they are angry, it is media and insiders. There are several people reporting this, even from sites like NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232635/article/jairus-byrd-open-to-being-traded-by-buffalo-bills

i understand, and will again ask "what player is not open to being traded to the right situation" presumably a situation willing to pay more money and be with a winner as a prime example of what im getting at. sure "byrd is open to a trade according to unnamed source" is being reported by those people but "byrd hates buffalo and wants out and this is a disaster and its FACT" is the fan reaction im talking about. even the idea that he will punish the team by not prepping enough for the season intentionally that was floated. there are very vague and really without meaning quotes floating around but even if directly from byrd they really dont mean anything and many fans are trying to read their own agendas into them...

On NFL Insiders just now Mort said that the Bills have called around to other teams in the league, but their stance on Byrd was the same as the bills. Saying that they like byrd but are not going to overpay for him or to get him. Schefter then said to keep and eye on this situation because something tells him its just the beginning..... Not sounding good at all. Some other guy on the panel said that the Bills would like to keep byrd but keep in mind that they drafted jonahton meeks and duke williams, also they moved Aaron Williams to safety. So the Bills are not in a desperate situation at that postion.

i think thats the first new and meaningful info that weve gotten since the signing. assuming its credible. but even so, its mostly common sense. obviously the bills would atleast float discussions, and obviously no one bit at the high asking price. clearly its not over, as there is no long term deal. i could have tweeted both the rappaport and mort info without having a single source as its mostly simple common sense.

until someone has an actual demand that has been made for trade, or dollars... im not really sure you can make anything out of the reporting.

Edited by NoSaint

This is something that I have not considered up until now, but how would it be possible to know what the real value of Byrd is around the league without calling other teams' GMs and inquiring if they are interested in making a deal for him? Surely you cannot trust the word of agents or pundits. The only possible way to find out whether he is considered a top 6 or top 4 or top 2 or whatever would be to call other teams and gauge their interest. It doesn't necessarily mean you don't want him at all.

It's also possible that other teams are playing this up trying to get him, and fanning the flames themselves.

Furthermore, this also fits into the "everyone is tradeable" argument. Some fans and writers think there are "untouchables" on every team, and others think that there is no such thing, and that if the right offer is made (however unlikely) that no one is untouchable. Tom Brady is untouchable. If the Packers offered Aaron Rogers and Clay Matthews, he's not.

This is something that I have not considered up until now, but how would it be possible to know what the real value of Byrd is around the league without calling other teams' GMs and inquiring if they are interested in making a deal for him? Surely you cannot trust the word of agents or pundits. The only possible way to find out whether he is considered a top 6 or top 4 or top 2 or whatever would be to call other teams and gauge their interest. It doesn't necessarily mean you don't want him at all.

It's also possible that other teams are playing this up trying to get him, and fanning the flames themselves.

Furthermore, this also fits into the "everyone is tradeable" argument. Some fans and writers think there are "untouchables" on every team, and others think that there is no such thing, and that if the right offer is made (however unlikely) that no one is untouchable. Tom Brady is untouchable. If the Packers offered Aaron Rogers and Clay Matthews, he's not.

until one side says differently - im happy hes here, im assuming hes giving 100% and im hopeful we will either get a long term deal or a trade for respectable value as the final spot for this. even if its not ideal, its really not all that bad still.

Makes sense the Bills would make some calls to gauge his value relative to a trade.

Makes sense for Parker to do the same thing.

I think they both got the same responses. He's good, not great and, while he has a great nose for the ball, his lack of speed can be and indeed, has been, exposed on occasion.

His best bet is to let Pettine's system, with our new stable of LBs and the necessary CB in Gilmore, work wonders for his game and better increase his value around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Makes sense the Bills would make some calls to gauge his value relative to a trade.

Makes sense for Parker to do the same thing.

I think they both got the same responses. He's good, not great and, while he has a great nose for the ball, his lack of speed can be and indeed, has been, exposed on occasion.

His best bet is to let Pettine's system, with our new stable of LBs and the necessary CB in Gilmore, work wonders for his game and better increase his value around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

pretty sure Parker would need the Bills permission to call around, as that would be tampering.

if Byrd and Parker don't like the hand they've been dealt.....they still have the option of going dirty by having Byrd pull up lame with some kind of injury. then he gets paid while missing games without risking long term injury.

pretty sure Parker would need the Bills permission to call around, as that would be tampering.

if Byrd and Parker don't like the hand they've been dealt.....they still have the option of going dirty by having Byrd pull up lame with some kind of injury. then he gets paid while missing games without risking long term injury.

Parker had all the time in the world to call any team he wished the minute Byrd was slapped with the tag and free agency started. I have a hunch he did but didn't like the answers he got, either. I don't think it would be tampering if he did so now, either. It may be considered tampering if other teams called him, instead.

As for pulling up lame, faking injury etc. That's not an easy thing to hide from your teammates. And it would only serve to lower Byrd's value as a result. I can be as cynical as the next guy at times, but I can't see Byrd doing that deliberately. His credibility would be shot.

GO BILLS!!!

I have trouble believing that Byrd will do anything but prepare and play flat out this year. He wants the big bucks, from the Bills or whomever he gets traded to, signs with as a free agent, etc. Having a stellar year is the only way he gets there. His job is to prove to the Bills, and every other team, that he is the best safety in the league, and deserves to paid like he is.

While ruining his reputation in the process. There's nothing about Byrd (or Parker, for that matter) to suggest he'll do anything other than come out and play his best, and the contract chips will fall where they may after the season.

I have trouble believing that Byrd will do anything but prepare and play flat out this year. He wants the big bucks, from the Bills or whomever he gets traded to, signs with as a free agent, etc. Having a stellar year is the only way he gets there. His job is to prove to the Bills, and every other team, that he is the best safety in the league, and deserves to paid like he is.

Right. Not playing hard to avoid injury is not only a recipe to get hurt, it would be the stupidest thing he could do.

I'm not sure why people are so incredulous about Byrd wanting to be the highest-paid safety in the league? He's just came off a Pro Bowl/All-Pro season, it's pretty young, and his agent is Eugene Parker, who usually tries to shoot for the moon. This is almost exactly the same situation as the Jason Peters thing.

I'm not sure why people are so incredulous about Byrd wanting to be the highest-paid safety in the league? He's just came off a Pro Bowl/All-Pro season, it's pretty young, and his agent is Eugene Parker, who usually tries to shoot for the moon. This is almost exactly the same situation as the Jason Peters thing.

Correct. As I stated in another post, another thing people often seem to forget is how contract numbers are decided. It's part past performance; part future probability. The fact is, Jairus Byrd is at the zenith of both of those, and he is good against the run and the pass. He's been very good already, has never not been good, is getting better, and is very, very young. There may be better safeties in the game (although perhaps not), but there is almost no arguing that he deserves the best contract amongst safeties in the game if all things were equal. You don't have to already be the best to deserve the highest contract.

Correct. As I stated in another post, another thing people often seem to forget is how contract numbers are decided. It's part past performance; part future probability. The fact is, Jairus Byrd is at the zenith of both of those, and he is good against the run and the pass. He's been very good already, has never not been good, is getting better, and is very, very young. There may be better safeties in the game (although perhaps not), but there is almost no arguing that he deserves the best contract amongst safeties in the game if all things were equal. You don't have to already be the best to deserve the highest contract.

True. But at the same time, what you think you're worth might not be what others perceive it to be.

What did Schefter mean when he predicted things would "get worse"? Byrd really has no choice but to play well this season.

Oh, and play as hard and as well as he possibly can. Or do these guys think that NFL teams lust after players who intentionally tank on their teams for personal gain and can't wait to pay them top dollar?

I like Tim Graham a lot. I really think that his article was way out of line with conjecture though, even if he is basically writing a blog where he is expected to give his opinion and not necessarily straight reporting.

This will not end well. If these reports are correct, seems like the relationship is broken. I am sure a lot of teams like Byrd, and some may be willing to pay him what he is looking for, but few of these teams also would want to give up a high draft choice to get him.

Really can't lose Levitre and Byrd, two of the best players we have drafted in the last five years.

This will not end well. If these reports are correct, seems like the relationship is broken. I am sure a lot of teams like Byrd, and some may be willing to pay him what he is looking for, but few of these teams also would want to give up a high draft choice to get him.

Really can't lose Levitre and Byrd, two of the best players we have drafted in the last five years.

That's the thing. Are they correct? Is this Parker feeding reporters to get fans angry and put pressure on the Bills?

What are the Bills supposed to do? Trade Byrd for a 3rd round pick? No. They hold their ground. They can't negotiate a new deal with Byrd anyway so don't let it become a distraction. Sully and Graham will do their best to lob grenades at the team but at this point you do nothing unless you actually get a crazy offer like 2 #1's.

If Byrd wants to pout I don't think Marrone will put up with it.

PTR

Does a team that is trying to quietly get rid of a player welcome him back on social media and promote fan giveaways of a Jairus Byrd autographed jersey?

If Byrd wants to pout I don't think Marrone will put up with it.

And until Byrd actually does pout I wish that people would stop forwarding this narrative.

Oh, and play as hard and as well as he possibly can. Or do these guys think that NFL teams lust after players who intentionally tank on their teams for personal gain and can't wait to pay them top dollar?

I like Tim Graham a lot. I really think that his article was way out of line with conjecture though, even if he is basically writing a blog where he is expected to give his opinion and not necessarily straight reporting.

right, if you read his Twitter feed, he stirred up a hornet's nest by posing a what-if, thinking out loud scenario, so I'm guessing he continues the controversial approach to keep the page views going up...

I don't think any of us know enough to figure out who to blame for the situation with Byrd. It may well be about businesss if Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL. If this is the case, not sure I understand why there would be bad blood and I certainly would not blame the Bills for a broken relationship.

The real question to me is whether Byrd wants to be here. Would he be willing to take less from a playoff caliber team? Is he asking to be highest paid (if true) only because it is the Bills?

The Bills did pick two safteties in the last draft. They must have had some inkling as to where this was going.

Just heard on John Murphy's show a replay of Freddy J saying he telephoned Byrd yesterday after he heard of the news of the tender signing. Freddy said Byrd is excited to be back in the fold and the players are happy to have him back with the team too.

There are people here on Earth There are people with their heads six foot under the sand. There are people on the freaking moon. This site is all over the place.

We have things we know, things we do not know and things that are speculation. Lets review them.

1) Jarius Byrd is a Buffalo Bill for 2013.

2) Jarius Byrd is, at the least a top three S in the league.

3) He is probably the best FS in the league.

4) He has credentials to show this.

5) He has an agent named Eugene Parker who also served Jason Peters.

6) Byrd wants to be paid as much money as possible.

Speculation:

Anything else.

Things we do not know:

Everything else.

In summary, I have to believe Parker has a very good gauge on the value of his guy. The Bills, do, too. The fact that they called teams means nothing. There is no team that would be willing to trade for Jairus Byrd as is. Byrd is not under contract and there is no way that Trade Team X would have a way to know what Byrd is asking for. That is to say, the Bills could allow Byrd and his agent to talk to other teams, which would be a mistake. Parker/Byrd could talk to Trade Team and find out that Team is willing to pay $9.5mm/yr for 7 years. That's great for Parker/Byrd...but that team still has to offer Buffalo what it wants for compensation. The best catch that holds Parker/Byrd by the balls - the higher that number the more value the player..the better and higher trade package. So, if Byrd were to be traded and paid as the best safety in the NFL, at his age and with his consistency and durability it is easy to determine Byrd is worth at least 1 first rounder. IMO, Byrd as the highest paid S in the league would be worth a 1st, 3rd, 6th and 3rd in a future draft. Now, you say that is too much because FS are not worth that much? Ok, fair enough. So, that means in fact Byrd is off in his value and something the Bills know. Deep down Parker/Byrd know the value of a FS.

Parker/Byrd have no ground to stand on right now. The talk on ESPN is nothing. If Byrd comes in and craps the bed and shows poor behavior that just makes him that much more unappealing for another team. By all accounts, that is not the man that Jairus Byrd is.

For those that still think this is like Jason Peters - thats very different. The perceived payouts in the leaue put LT at a top 5 payout position, I would bet. I have to think FS only better then kickers, punters, snappers, guards, and returners. Maybe someone can look this up.

No one in this league is going to jump to pay Byrd

Just heard on John Murphy's show a replay of Freddy J saying he telephoned Byrd yesterday after he heard of the news of the tender signing. Freddy said Byrd is excited to be back in the fold and the players are happy to have him back with the team too.

Thank you for some sanity returned.

albeit temporarily i would guess : )

fellow with lavender as an avatar , is another perception of reality.

That rings true enough. And has sanity attached to it .

Very well put J. Take note rookies.

We have things we know, things we do not know and things that are speculation. Lets review them.

1) Jarius Byrd is a Buffalo Bill for 2013.

2) Jarius Byrd is, at the least a top three S in the league.

3) He is probably the best FS in the league.

4) He has credentials to show this.

5) He has an agent named Eugene Parker who also served Jason Peters.

6) Byrd wants to be paid as much money as possible.

Speculation:

Anything else.

Things we do not know:

Everything else.

Parker/Byrd have no ground to stand on right now. The talk on ESPN is nothing. If Byrd comes in and craps the bed and shows poor behavior that just makes him that much more unappealing for another team. By all accounts, that is not the man that Jairus Byrd is.

No one can debate that Byrd is a very fine player at his position, top-10, probably top-5 FS. Best FS in the league (your point 3)? Top 3 safety in the league (your point 2)?

Those aren't things we know, they're subjective. And therein lies the reasonable gap between what the agent wants, and what the team will offer, which must be bridged by negotiation.

Not part of your post, but in the Shoutbox I think I saw you said Parker does a fine job doing his job. I'm curious about your reasoning? It's obviously not to a player's advantage to play on a 1 yr contract should he be injured. I agree with you that Parker/Byrd have no ground to stand on right now. So how does letting it get to the point constitute a fine job for his player?

Edited by Hopeful

No one can debate that Byrd is a very fine player at his position, top-10, probably top-5 FS. Best FS in the league (your point 3)? Top 3 safety in the league (your point 2)?

Those aren't things we know, they're subjective. And therein lies the reasonable gap between what the agent wants, and what the team will offer, which must be bridged by negotiation.

Not part of your post, but in the Shoutbox I think I saw you said Parker does a fine job doing his job. I'm curious about your reasoning? It's obviously not to a player's advantage to play on a 1 yr contract should he be injured. I agree with you that Parker/Byrd have no ground to stand on right now. So how does letting it get to the point constitute a fine job for his player?

young guy with little damage in a FS position... I think the injury risk is minimal.

Parker is relentless and demands to use any tool possible to get $$.

I look at our defense and the division we play in. The schedule we have player and the exposure Byrd has had to top QB's ...only Reed may be a better FS. And that was years ago. The tie between the SF kid who went to TB isaybe there with him. People are getting SS and FS mixsd.

So we can count you among those that think Byrd should've signed any offer that was worth even minimally more guaranteed? Or is there a balance to be had and Parker/Byrd think the risk is worth the reward? Very few injuries will DRASTICALLY decrease his earning potential. That he took a risk doesn't mean he's in a weaker position long term, simply a more vulnerable one currently. That's not a loss or negligence. Many players are under the tag right now. Great players with very responsible agents.

Thank you for some sanity returned.

albeit temporarily i would guess : )

fellow with lavender as an avatar , is another perception of reality.

That rings true enough. And has sanity attached to it .

Very well put J. Take note rookies.

It's very cool that Byrd will fly down to DC with the team, too.

A lot of what happens with Byrd is gonna be the selling job Marrone and Pettine do on him. If he plays lights out in this defense, he just may come off his stance to take less than highest paid to stay in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.buffalone...h-byrd-20130821

This is a great article about the Byrd situation. Really good insight by Jerry Sullivan: ^

That is actually being discussed in this thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/160553-jerry-sullivan-jarius-byrd/

You should check it out. There have been some pretty good comments & insights.... :thumbsup:

young guy with little damage in a FS position... I think the injury risk is minimal.

Parker is relentless and demands to use any tool possible to get $$.

I look at our defense and the division we play in. The schedule we have player and the exposure Byrd has had to top QB's ...only Reed may be a better FS. And that was years ago. The tie between the SF kid who went to TB isaybe there with him. People are getting SS and FS mixsd.

You know who's getting SS and FS mixed? Parker, that's who. No way in hell he makes the distinction when talking numbers.

GO BILLS!!!